NYCGA Minutes 10/09/11, 7PM

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, General Assembly Minutes.

NYC GENERAL ASSEMBLY DAY 23

Meeting Date/Time: 10/9/2011 / 7pm EST

Location: Liberty Plaza

Facilitators (F):

[Editor’s note: We don’t seem to have a complete set of notes for this GA. Please e-mail OWSminutes@gmail.com if you have minutes from the very beginning and very end.]

 

AGENDA
23.1.  Working Group Report Backs

23.2.  Announcements

23.3.  Agenda Items (Sanitation Proposal)

Read more »

Occupiers’ Meeting Minutes 10/5 10AM

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Occupiers' Meetings.

Minutes

Welcome to the occupers meeting

Propsals

Concerns

Priorities for today

Anna is the stack take

Agenda

City planning

Zoning

Proposal for donation storage locker- working group to field donations

Concrete schedual for today

Bulentin boards for front back middle for daily schedual

Discussion items and propsals

Peace keeping and what the peace keeping group decided

Report back from conflict resolution

Can we start with report back?

Direct response- I think it is a good idea but it is not relevant to march today

Proposal for storage facility

Report on todays schedual

Bullentin boards maybe with city planning

Report back from conflict resolution

Are there any concerns

Could I add a discussion for adjacent parks?

Brief discussion for how long we would like for this meeting?

20 minutes

any concerns?

20 to 30 min for this discussion

accordingly for each point 5 -6 min some may take longer then others

I think it is appropreate for the schedual for today

At 12 call for pacers 3 at city hall

The location was changed

Point of process from sage “I think we should focus on occupation specific issues like the 30, 000 people coming and the people sleeping here

My undestadninf is that we are meeting here at 3 and marching to foley square two blocks from city hall

Report back from conflict resolution we met in a small group this morning interced in relationships going on ehre. We want it to be everyones responsablitiy we want it to be a culture of accountability and hopefully from those who have consulted some resources.

There were orher people present if they wanted to give a report back

Were you going to talk about liberty plaza standards

What do you guys think

To piggy back on what you are saying respect respect

We are going to do a report back on what we did this morning which was different from last night talking about language

There were more things that we agreed upon was to make copies of zines and distribute

I have experience with non violenct communication and try to give people more resources

How the word help has been used

Help when those needed for kitchen and sanitation maybe saved the word help

Are we okay with cameras? Everyones okay but I am not soplease stop filming me.

When we were doing soap box other large spiritual gatherings like burning me

“Shantiscina” there are a lot of anarchists so I think they would take this sourly to not use word help

help is a word everyone understands, new words are cool if everyone understood them

we have direct response

intuitively that’s likely, the more we are aware that a culture that isn’t one we want to manifest

help is prime realistate it should be saved for seriuous

liberty plaza standards of living, make and distribute. There is a guy willing to make for free if we want. Other thing about that. The word solidarity about that there is a solidarty statement. Are you the person to talk to that.

Its max and eve

There are people from other working groups

Point of process its 11 28 to keep on schedual to end at 11 50 we move on to solidarity

There is a organization that does peace keeping for the radical community in new york city

Are there any concerns on moving onto staders of solidarity

Please get on stack. How long? 5 min? how do we feel

Yesterday a group of us meet to ligustically discuss how to keep us on the same page for liberty standards, this is transparency

Poetic language

Four tags

Respect belongings

Respect the space

Respect others bodies

Respect your own

Respect this place by caring for your own belongings where the plants animals are taken care of

Directs response

At its core this government has no authority

Emma – I agree with you, by putting out these requests I don’t see this as authority or rules at all, these are wonderful ideas to keep the park a safe space

You were saying that the reasons we like these standards

If we want to work together

All these people have ideas of what is friendly and what is good culture.

We should not be over bearing in power, if we come up with these standards then there are individuals who oppose this then we should respond in a non violent manner

Proposal for donations locker and a city planning bullentin and discussion for adjacent parks

An additional working group where these issues can be discussed.

3 min extension of conversation

discussion has been extended

my understanding of this occupation

microcasm of the culture here

to make the world a better place

a dream sharing experience

standards of solidarity.

Repeat standard

If you are hitting me we are not in solidarity we are not on the same team. This is just a document of what it would mean to be in solidarity

I am only here for a couple hours but in Wisconsin the non violent groups are key

Lack of older people and children is huge here

Constant part of discourse was humor. Level of humor for friendship. Lmost no one even the cops did not feel excluded.

Very important to say.

There is going to be a huge influx of people if you want to condense your stuff to make sure its safe.

Are you blocking this socument because I have been working on it for weeks.

Oint of information y; you are autonomous you can author and distribute a pamflet on respect

Very important another time to discuss ? no

Anyone interested in this topic safe spaces meeting tonight under the red thing, if you are interested go there.

Can we move on to donations and storage locker

Presenter

Issure right now is a lot of stuff store and maintain all this stuff. Storage locker less then a mile away. Its over a hundered dollars 300 hundered a month with a working group

Would this just be for working groups or personal belongings ? not perosan packages food medical, media

Friendly amendments storage is an issue can for personal storage as well

Option as well, other parks instead of paying

Would this be for specific groups? No just shipping and receiving.

We wanted to bring it to larger body.

What about the people who didn’t come. Well they didn’t come

We anncounced it so it was democratic

Questions and concerns? They have gotten combined

Free libre open source.

Sorry just for occupiers

Restated proposal and temperature check

We will try and go get funds

This is not personal storage

Restate: liberty plaza will rend a storage facility less then a mile away to use for storage run by a working group.

Concensus.

Occupiers assembly

Yay we did something

Attendence

We need to get people up in the morning.

City planning.

Announcement:

My name’s evan from open source grup. We’re working on getting computers generators and lights for internet access, facilitation and cleraring house for needs and wants. We’re going to build a system called permabank and use it to intergface with each other and the public to target acquisitions. ‘

Fac: We could have it now or tomorrow.

We’ve agreed to have a disc. On this topi =c tomorrow.

Metg extended, move to city planning.

We’ve been working on this for a few days, it’s our wg. We haver a map.

Obviously the space need some organication.

We nbeed to reorganize. Right now, there’s a nytimes reporter covering this process, we need to move quickly.

We hgave posted this, I believe it was posted yesterday.

Statemnt: Park rules:

No structures

No sleeping bags

No leaving stuff around that unreasonably interferes with movement.

The goal is to ensure safety and enjoyment of everyone:

2 sets of rules:

putting your body somewhere that obstructyc=s, putting your stuff somewhere that obstructs.

This is coming from the persp. That we are unreasonably interfering,. We propose that we create space for others to safely usr the space. We could have secutiry prevent use of roller blades, skateboards.

Fac: This is aproposal. Restate it as such.

Prop is to organize sleeping area plan today, after the meeting, Can I​ g=et vols?

Fac: only if we pass the proposal.

Br: I’ve used gaffer’s tape to code areas.

This here has todo with the park as a whole and sleeping areas.

Prop: creating wg tomove around sleeping areas, wgs. We are going to create roads and areas, and move things today.

=br: Medical and comfort want to move, but it isn’t going to happen today.

Br: I feel very partial t this discussion. It’s soundong like not everrtyone wants to move now.

Prop: we are nit going to move folx, just reorganize. We will use gaffer’s tape, make a sweep and reorganize as much as possible.

Based on the amt of bodies, wer use sw as sleeping area, then move forward with sq footage

Bro: we need to tell whether folx are still using each camp.

Mtg extended 10min

Br: many folx are affected by this, who are not here. I would amend this to simplify and make it non-disruptive. More disruptive actions on a different day.

There’s a cityu planner joining wg tomorrow.

Fac: Q? or concerns?

Prop: sweep throught he park, creating wlakways. We will act compassionately and voluntarily because some folks are asleep.

Seeing no concerns, the proposal has passed

Sounds like discussion is ending.

Meeting ended by consensus.

Liberty Plaza Anarchist College Seeks Teacher/Facilitators

Posted by & filed under News.

The main goals and values of this college is to teach how important establishing the values of any group is, and that a society or environment of non-dominance and non-hierarchy is the one in which its members thrive. Anarchy literally means without a ruler, so an individual who oppresses any other individual by limiting their autonomy including if it is a member of the establishment’s protection service, (i.e. police) who is not directly involved in oppression, would not be an anarchist since they would be dominating the other without warrant. Unprovoked oppression not for defense of ones own autonomy is not anarchy.

Please refer teachers and materials to OWSEducation@gmail.com. A short intro to the class you’d like to teach will help pair you with other facilitators. Continue reading

NYCGA Minutes 10/4/2011

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, General Assembly Minutes.

NYC GENERAL ASSEMBLY DAY 18

Meeting Date/Time: 10/4/2011 / 7pm EST

Location: Liberty Plaza

Facilitators: Amanda, Brie

 

Facilitator (F): 100 transport workers refuse to bring protestors to jail, and are filing a restraining order against the NYPD!

F: Are there any concerns regarding Amanda and Bre as facilitators for this general assembly?

GA Response: No!

Read more »

Needs of the Occupiers

Posted by & filed under News.

As the Occupation moves into autumn we need to prepare for the onset of of chilly weather.

Most Needed:

Sleeping bags, blankets, tarps and large, clear plastic storage bins to keep it all dry.

Polar fleece sweaters, pants, socks and gloves are also appreciated as, they are durable, easy to clean, keep even the soggiest occupiers warm, and everybody has some buried in a box somewhere. Continue reading

Modify Quiet Hours

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Past Proposals.

Community relations committee: I want to make a proposal to modify quiet hour based on conversations this week and last week with local residents and campers here. They have expressed concern about loud noise in the evenings and are our current time if 11pm for quiet hours. I’d like to propose 2 things: We move quiet hours up to 10pm but allow mic checks until 11pm as well as acoustic music and other quieter activities. We ask the community board to show us support by endorsing our request for an amplified sound permit. That is my proposal.

Funding for Sleeping Bags

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Past Proposals.

We have some major concerned about people sleeping here. Mainly we need sleeping bags. Sleeping bags cost money and no one is donating sleeping bags. With that in mind we have a proposal to use some of the donated money to buy sleeping bags. We would like to request about 2000 dollars from the fund for sleeping bags. We think if we buy 100 $20 sleeping bags, that would be enough for the time being.

NYCGA Minutes 10/3/2011, 7:30pm

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, General Assembly Minutes.

NYC GENERAL ASSEMBLY DAY 17

Meeting Date/Time: 10/3/2011 / 7pm EST

Location: Liberty Plaza

Facilitators: Bri, ?

 

F: Wanted to make sure that we the people are okay with the people up front running it.

F: The people up front are facilitators. Anyone can facilitate if they get in touch with the working group.

F: Bri: Is a co-facilitator. She wants consent on weather of not we agree for them to be facilitators.

Everyone wants the one complaining to sit down.

F: Bri. Are there any outstanding concerns with them being facilitators.

NO!

Read more »

Things We Need

Posted by & filed under News.

Hi my name is Rachel. I’m here with comfort. I want to make an announcement about some things that we need. Important things we need are boots for males and females, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and folding chairs. Also, we have lots of bags of laundry from when it’s been raining. Since there is no Laundromat nearby, we are asking for volunteers who would like to take one bag of laundry to their home to get it clean and bring it back. Please, come see us at Comfort to do that. Thank you. Comfort, if you don’t know already, it’s right next to Medical on this side of the park.

Rachel – Sunday 10/2 General Assembly

See more needs from the twitter hash tag #needsoftheoccupiers