Proposal for bike coalition working group

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Past Proposals.

Bikes are perhaps the most sustainable and simple form of transportation known to humans. they are simple, elegant, and fun! Why does OWS not have a huge arsenal of lovely lovely bicycles?? The benefits of bikes are crazy rad, in fact (insert rad statistic here) isn’t that awesome?!

The purpose of the OWS Bike Coalition will be in three parts

  1. Action: Providing the valuable tactic of Bike Swarms during marches to protect protesters from police when taking streets and also to scout out police activity, march routes, and march destinations
  2. Community: Providing free bike repairs to members of all communities. Also providing free training classes for bike safety, bike repair, and mobile tactics direct action training.
  3. Transportation: The end goal of this working group is to get every Occupier fitted with a working bike.


The fulfillment of these purposes will be incredibly beneficial to Occupy Wall Street by setting a clear and sustainable message to the public and to ourselves. We will simultaneously be providing a sustainable and inexpensive form of transportation (and hopefully eliminate the need for Metro Cards), providing exercise to out of shape Occupiers, providing safety, security, and information to marches and actions, and providing a valuable service to the community at large.

What we need to fulfill these purposes:

  • Bikes!
  • A work space to operate from, and store bicycles
  • Materials: Pumps, patch kits, Allen wrenches, helmets etc.
  • Direct and awesome solidarity with Time’s Up! and other bike activist groups in the city
  • Mobile tactics training, safety, and bike repair
  • People! Who are good at outreach, social media, bike repair, web design, and direct action
  • MORE BIKES!


How we will fulfill these purposes

Step 1: Operation Massive Outreach (Goals: Space and Bikes)

  • In-reach to Outreach (and all the other working groups)
  • In-reach to Occupiers with unused bikes
  • Bright Neighbor Ask
  • Craigslist ask
  • Social media (All of it!)
  • Outreach and solidarity with the bike community @large (Bike party, anyone?)
  • Getting some form of donations…

Step 2: Operation BIKE SWARM! (Goals: Creating successful Bike Swarm for protests)

  • Weekly mobile tactics trainings for people who wish to participate in Bike Swarms
  • Helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, safety training classes
  • Walkie-Talkies for awesome-com
  • Accompanying protesters on marches for safe secure street-taking and info gathering


Step 3: Operation Put the Revolution Between Your Legs (Goal: Get Occupiers out of the Subways and onto the bikes!)

  • Draft a community agreement with Housing to divert funds into bikes
  • Set up a process of how an Occupier shall obtain a bike
  • Become a working group

NYC Operational Spokes Council 2/15/2012

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Spokes Council Minutes.

NYC OPERATIONAL SPOKES COUNCIL DAY 152

Date/Time: 2/15/2012, 7:30pm

Location: Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 110 Shemerhorn, Brooklyn, NY

Audio Recording of Spokes Council Meeting

Spokes Sign In Sheet

Facilitation: Andy & Jo

Stack: Stan

Time: Corey

Minutes: David Buccola

Working Groups in Attendance: Town Planning, Queering OWS, Safer Spaces, Occupy the Youth, Fund Hub, Occupy your work place, Anti-Racism Allies, Minutes, Archive, Library, Medic, Tech, Kitchen, Think Tank, SIS

Working Group Report Backs: (13:00): Minutes, Library (15:40), Archives (16:40), Queering OWS (17:00), Facilitation (18:18), Occupy Your Work Place (19:30), Safer Spaces (20:44), Fund Hub (21:00)

Proposal:  Spokes Council Meeting Protocols by Town Planning (29:00) Only part of this proposal reached consensus:

A minimum quorum of attendance before a Spokes Council can convene shall be recognized as at least 20 individuals, representing at least seven active Working Groups and at least one recognized caucus, and not counting any individuals who are presently required to take minutes, record livestream, or facilitate the meeting.  A Spokes Council meeting which has these numerical requirements, plus at least one individual feeding footage Creating Safer Spaces for Facilitation & Minutes(1:08). A discussion with stack. the official NYCGA livestream twitter feed (#NYCSC), shall be empowered to select Facilitation staff from within those present already if the meeting’s Facilitation team has not arrived on time.  Likewise, minutes may be taken by an individual selected from the group and one such individual must be in place before the meeting can begin.

Creating Safer Spaces for Facilitation & Minutes(1:08). A discussion with stack.

Meeting Adjourned (1:40)

Read more »

Proposal to Improve the General Assembly

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Past Proposals.

The general assembly is the foundation of our movement. It has provided us with a space for our voices to be heard. I am saddened to say that the GA is not what it once was. It has devolved into interpersonal conflicts, abuse, and financial transactions. Money has torn the GA apart. If it is ever to be improved it must reclaim its sense of purpose, which is that of a space for political discourse. Thus, I propose the GA make no further financial decisions.

Spokes Council Meeting Protocols Proposal

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Past Proposals.

Spokes Council Meeting Protocols Proposal

 

Contact Name: Sean McKeown

Working Group: Town Planning

 

Spokes Council was envisioned as a high-functioning system for having conversation between Working Groups.  Using a distributed model for decision-making that uses a horizontal system of direct democracy, Spokes Council compensates for the use of verticality in its design by providing equal access to power: individual members rotate through the position of Spoke for their Working Group, with rules in place to ensure this position cannot be used for unequal distribution of access to power, and Working Groups are defined as groups composed of at least five members, making it reasonable that if a spoke is not speaking for the will of the group they shall be recalled and the voice of the group re-balanced accordingly.

 

This model is not presently being followed through as it was intended to; attendance is low, and the types of conversations being had at Spokes Council are not presently the types of conversations Spokes Council as a model was designed to bear.  The usefulness of the Spokes Council model comes from the ability of a Working Group to have agenda items in their hands before the meeting, to discuss beforehand as an individual Working Group and discuss between groups to address concerns and answer clarifying questions in a less structured setting.  By design, we are supposed to be off-loading a large bulk of the conversations we are presently having at Spokes Council outside of Spokes Council itself, and this friction is creating frustration and likewise cutting back on attendance at Spokes Council – <I>those who do not feel it is worth their time, show their support (or lack thereof) with their attendance</I>.

There are a few things we can do to actively return Spokes Council to the functionality it was designed to work under, and this proposal seeks to improve Spokes Council functionality in the following ways:

 

1) Proposal Time Delay

Spokes Council works best when Working Groups and Caucuses have been given sufficient time to discuss upcoming proposals and their ramifications, and many times it has been said that we wished it were possible to present a proposal on one night, then come back another night to step through the consensus process on another night so that we have time to think about the proposal and really digest what it means and what our concerns ought to be.  It takes time to craft any proposal into the thing the group as a whole wishes it could be, and by implementing a time delay we can accomplish some of that while choosing not to potentially waste our time sitting through the same meetings twice in a row.  Considering that it is impossible to present a proposal one day, then consent upon it formally the next meeting without re-presenting the proposal in full first, it makes the most sense to cut full presentation out of this process on the first day – but otherwise try to hold onto it as much as we can.

All proposals seeking to be on the Spokes Council’s agenda must be distributed via printed handout one Spokes Council session before the meeting it is to be voted on.  Additionally, all proposals seeking to be on the Spokes Council’s agenda must be emailed into Facilitation by 4pm of the Spokes Council session it is to be voted on, and posted on the NYCGA.net website accordingly in advance of the meeting.</B>

Concessions for emergency proposals going to Spokes Council shall follow the same time-sensitive requirements of emergency proposals going to General Assembly.  Non-proposal agenda items do not have to follow these same strictures as a matter of course – as we are not asking for consensus, a lower bar for discussions is very reasonable – but it may potentially be recognized as a best practice overall to set the agenda for the next Spokes Council meeting at the conclusion of the current Spokes Council meeting, and seek to honor that agenda as fully as possible given the fact that needs may have changed with the development of events in the intervening time.

 

2) Starting Meetings On Time

Spokes Council is listed as beginning at 7pm, and presently we have fallen into a rhythm of beginning considerably later than this time for no apparent reason.  Given that our end-time of 10pm is often not something we can continue past, the logical decision if we wish to have more time for Spokes Council and the discussions and work that happen within the Spokes Council sessions… is to begin our meetings promptly on time.

The one time we decided beforehand that we would actually begin the meeting promptly at 7pm, <I>the meeting began promptly at 7pm</I>.  There are a lot of sticky logistical questions about what constitutes a valid meeting, and the minimum threshold we have to cross in order to hold a valid Spokes Council meeting – but the fact of the matter remains, if we seek to actively improve our meetings and combat the laxity that we have accidentally embraced with our delayed start times, questions of quorum or minimum components required for meeting validity will not be something we have to face.  The key to starting meetings on time is to say we are going to do so, and then actually doing so.  Keeping our promises to honor each others’ time instead of waste it will see those who do not like their time being wasted participating actively in Spokes Council, and more time for the things we need to discuss at each individual meeting.  A simple shift of individual scheduling – to bring dinner with you, instead of stop and eat with friends beforehand; to leave work on time instead of staying and finishing that one email you wanted to write to that working group list you’re on – can see meeting attendance on time individually for 7pm, but it is predicated on this being something that is <I>worth doing</I> for the individual.

The Spokes Council shall convene at 7pm, as opposed to 7:30, 7:45, 8:15, or “whenever the food gets here and I’ve got my metrocard”.  A strict meeting start time prevents time lost by the dedicated individuals who are committed to attending in order to address the logistical issues and pressing conversations that need to be had and which are brought before the Spokes Council as agenda items.  Additionally, the meeting shall not halt for lines being formed for meals served at Spokes Council or metrocard distribution – these things will still occur, and will of course be encouraged during the course of the meeting, but the meeting will not cease or pause because they have arrived.</B>

While it would be ideal if we could simply wish it were so, it does not, and desiring this prompt meeting time forces us to face the question of what the minimum acceptable requirements are for a valid Spokes Council.  While there is presently no accepted quorum for General Assembly, the same is not necessarily implied of the Spokes Council – by its design, it is intended to function in a directly democratic fashion with the involvement of multiple spokes, and spokes with support of others within their Working Group for discussion during the session.  Additionally, the Spokes Council model includes traditionally marginalized groups which have been granted the ability to delay proposals until the next session based on the need to call their caucus and draw additional members to attend the session at which that proposal will seek consensus.  Mis-application of any such rules of quorum being applied could potentially marginalize these groups which we recognize as being most marginalized outside of Occupy Wall Street, and we should strive actively to include their voices.

 

A minimum quorum of attendance before a Spokes Council can convene shall be recognized as at least 20 individuals, representing at least seven active Working Groups and at least one recognized caucus, and not counting any individuals who are presently required to take minutes, record livestream, or facilitate the meeting.  A Spokes Council meeting which has these numerical requirements, plus at least one livestreamer feeding footage into the official NYCGA livestream feed, shall be empowered to select Facilitation staff from within those present already if the meeting’s Facilitation team has not arrived on time; in the event that no one is present to take meeting minutes at the start of the meeting, the livestream feed will be considered sufficient to capture and summarize the events of the meeting in question for the purpose of calling a valid start to the meeting.

 

As-needed, the meeting can pause with its own consensus, but best practices shall be established as not breaking up the agenda of the meeting for outside events such as the arrival of the Kitchen working group with food, or the Housing working group with metrocards for distribution.  Additionally, should the planned-for Facilitation not be present at the start of a meeting but later arrive, the question shall be brought before the Spokes Council whether they are happy with their current facilitation team, or would rather have the newly-arriving Facilitation team intended for that meeting in their stead.

 

Addendum: Text for what was consented upon at Spokes Council as a result of this proposal:

A minimum quorum of attendance before a Spokes Council can convene shall be recognized as at least 20 individuals, representing at least seven active Working Groups and at least one recognized caucus, and not counting any individuals who are presently required to take minutes, record livestream, or facilitate the meeting.  A Spokes Council meeting which has these numerical requirements, plus at least one individual feeding footage into the official NYCGA livestream twitter feed (#NYCSC), shall be empowered to select Facilitation staff from within those present already if the meeting’s Facilitation team has not arrived on time.  Likewise, minutes may be taken by an individual selected from the group and one such individual must be in place before the meeting can begin.

Consensus achieved 2/15/12

Tweets for Tue, 14 Feb 2012

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Livetweets.

POI: Many #OWS Gen Assembly/Spokes mtgs exceed @LibertySqGA’s ratelimits. Hence @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, @LibertySqGA4. Catch ‘em al!

Hey fam! We’re here at 60 Wall Street, where the #NYCGA is starting. Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LivertySqGA3, @LibertySqGA4 for tweets.

[I was a little late tonight, so I missed a few reportbacks. We'll tweet them from the owsnyc.tv livestream archive later on. -Ed.] #NYCGA

Daniel’s reportback, for OccupyFarms! They’ve been networking and have brought 3 new farms into the network. Need 9 to Occupy them. #NYCGA

Evan has been working on Occupy.com: “It’s a fwd-facing URL; it apparently draws a lot of attention. We recently put a contest on…”#NYCGA

Cont’d: “…99 designs; it had its problems because it was 99 designs.” Also they’re joining the discussion about power, influence… #NYCGA

Cont’d: …and access to resources. Someone: “Occupy.com is really going to be media; will bring it voices, talent, ppl w/ skills…” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “…from video, commentary, satire to performance, arts, writing.” Asks people to come Saturday to get involved. #NYCGA #OWS

Sandy from DA: “We have new meeting times; check it out on nycga.net.” Second, DA wants to “shut down corporations on #f29!” #NYCGA #OWS

Also, they’re having the second episode of the solidarity + tactics + action agreements tomorrow at 1pm at 16 Beaver. #NYCGA #OWS

James from ComHub: “We have a project called the Project Project!” Collects and shares a list of projects. “We want to know…” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “..your projects so we can promote them. We want to answer that age-old #Occupy question, “What the fuck is going on?” #NYCGA

They’d like us to go to the website and fill out this form: http://t.co/vJ4Dw5t4 Or catch them in person down here. #NYCGA #OWS

“The MayDay Planning Group” is a subgroup of DA planning for May 1st. “Our first task was to reach out to immigrant groups…” #NYCGA #OWs

Cont’d: “…labor, students, and other Occupy groups to” make something huge happen on May 1st. #NYCGA #OWs

OK, first proposal is from DA. “Earlier, I sent around a quarter sheet with the content of the proposal.” #NYCGA #OWS http://t.co/ieg2sl5r

(This is the 1st proposal.) “Earlier, I sent around a quarter sheet with the content of the proposal.” #NYCGA #OWS http://t.co/1pt8A4a1

This is the 1st proposal. “Earlier, I sent around a quarter sheet with the content of the proposal.” I can’t send this photo on my 3G. Bah.

(This is the 1st proposal.) “Earlier, I sent around a quarter sheet with the content of the proposal.” #NYCGA #OWS http://t.co/EWPvwVo6

Marisa tells us about the history of MayDay. Began w/ historic General Strike, and recently resurrected by immigrant communities. #NYCGA

Carrie reads off a massive list of cities that are committed to MayDay. They read the proposal text; here it is… #NYCGA #OWS

The call: “May Day 2012 / Occupy Wall Street stands in solidarity with the calls for a day without the 99%, a general strike and more!!..”

Cont’d: “On May Day, wherever you are, we are calling for: No Work, No School, No Housework, No Shopping, No Banking. Take the Streets!”

CQ: “Have the labor unions and outside groups endorsed this call for a general strike, or not?” A: “All the groups that came to the..”

Cont’d: “…May Day meetings consensed on this language,” including labor groups. #NYCGA #OWs

CQ: “Since it says ‘Take to the Streets’, are you planning any marches or rallies?” A: “Hell yes!” #NYCGA #OWS

Someone asks if they’ll have plans in place so that if we stop working wherever we are, ppl will know it’s #OWS. #NYCGA

RE: union support, “It’s unlikely that union bosses would come out publically in support of a strike b/c” of legality, but… #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: “…that doesn’t mean that the rank and file don’t want to strike or feel the need to strike.” #NYCGA #OWS

“These are details that are worked out in our meetings, and this proposal is just for this call.” #NYCGA #OWS

“We absolutely don’t want to force anyone to strike. This is a volunteer strike,” this call. Nathan (Stairs) notes we’re coming to… #NYCGA

Cont’d: “…consensus on the language of the call itself.” The rest of the stuff will be worked out at the meetings. #NYCGA #OWS

“DA will be working on actions, and DA is empowered to do that. If you want to come to DA meetings, please feel free.” #NYCGA #OWS

Lopi’s CQ: “I love this action; I get that we’re talking about the wording. My ? is, if we like everything about it, but not three words…”

Cont’d: “…and you’re not taking friendly amendments, what do we do?” A: “I’d hope 3 words wouldn’t scuttle this proposal for you.” #NYCGA

“The issue is that we’ve already gone through this process, working w/ unions, working w/ immigrant groups, and this is the final…”

Cont’d: “…final language. We’d have to go back and work through it again,” can’t modify it at this point. #NYCGA #OWS

Timekeeper notes we’re at 2.5 mins left. Jo: “Even tho I’m completely in support of this proposal and its language, I want ppl to be aware..

Cont’d: “…if there are groups outside of #OWS who are in support of this language, what the list is.” #NYCGA #OWS

A: “This language has not formally gone in front of unions, but there are members of labor groups” in MayDay meetings who helped…

Cont’d: “…develop this proposal and are formally beyond it.” Someone’s POI notes that groups including Working Families are behind it.

C: “I was going to support it, even tho it’s a bit questionable about this General Strike,” but he’s mad abt anti-union term “union bosses.”

A: “I’m very sorry. We should have said labor leaders.” We’re at time, temp-checking extending for 10 more minutes. “Very positive.”

Sumumba thanks them for coming for us for consensus before the action. “That doesn’t always happen in this movement.” Concerned tho…

Cont’d: …about precedent of not accepting friendly amendments. Hopes they’ll come back for consensus on the action plans tho. #NYCGA #OWS

Sumumba notes that DA doesn’t actually have to come to the GA to get consensus on actions. A: “We’ll take it back to MayDay subgroup and…”

Cont’d: “…talk about that.” Someone’s POI: “I’ve seen folks decline all friendly amendments for various reasons; it’s not unprecedented.”

Stairs clarifies that the only difference here is they’re informing us in advance that they’re not empowered by group to accept changes.

Lopi’s concern: “I’ve never witnessed a proposal come where it’s stated point blank, we’re not accepting any friendly amendments.” #NYCGA

“I think we need to give ppl something more, like, “Show the 1% who’s boss;” something that’s going to inspire” folks to strike. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: “…it feels very unprecedented to me, and I’m very concerned about that.” Also she feels “take the streets” is too vague. #NYCGA

A: “We are here as delegates from a group of over 100 folks. We’re not representatives, we’re not empowered to make decisions…” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “…for this group,” can’t change language on behalf of them. On language, “this means, hold a block party, hold a march…” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “…do a teach-in. It means a lot of things. We’re telling people to pull together, don’t go to work, do amazing stuff.” #NYCGA #OWs

C: “To call a General Strike, we need 100% buy-in. Doesn’t sound like we have 100% union buy-in. I’m for actions on May Day; I’m into this..

Cont’d: “…but what happens if 99% of the workers go to work? What does that say about us?” #NYCGA #OWS

POI: “This language is to clarify that we’re not calling for a general strike; we’re standing in solidarity w/ those who are.” #NYCGA #OWS

POI: “Aaron, re: union buy-in, I just wanted to let you know that 87% of American workers are non-unionized.” #NYCGA #OWS

POI: “The reason it’s so impt we call for this is it adds general language that doesn’t just call for a General Strike,” gives flexibility.

Aaron suggests it be just a call for a strike, not a general strike. A: “We can’t change this language but tht could be an additional call.”

David Graeber began to make a process suggestion, but Stairs politely let him know that he’s jumping stack. (PoP next time, DG!) #NYCGA

Two people suggest that the language “without the 99% is divisive,” but I didn’t catch from either quite why. #NYCGA #OWS

C: “Punctuation is impt to us looking good! I’d like to hold us one exclamation point.” Friendly amndmnt is to ask grp to cut back to 1.

A: “The 1 exclamation pt isn’t part of the language; that’s a discretionary thing.” They’ll ask the group to change from 5 to 1. Laffs! #OWS

OK, moving to consensus. “Do we have any standasides?” Means you have a personal ethical, moral, safety cncrn, but won’t stop grp going fwd.

First standaside: “I very much support the proposal,” but felt May Day meetings were too compromise-oriented, less consensus-oriented.

Lopi’s standaside. “I love it, I want to work on it w/ you guys, but I want to state for the record it’s not OK to come with a proposal…”

Cont’d: “…and say you’re not accepting any friendly amendments.” OK. “Are there any blocks?” Stairs have to check again, but: “NO BLOCKS!”

#NYCGA consenses on language for the MayDay call to action! “Shut it down!” folks yell, chant. [It's gonna be a great Spring. -Ed.] #OWS

[That's essentially also the first time May Day has come before the GA and represents #OWS GA endorsement of "the day w/o the 99%." -Ed.]

Moving to the next proposal! Vision and Goals. Sumumba: “Hello everyone! We hope there’s a lot of love in the room tonight!” #NYCGA #OWS

“We’ve been working on this document, as many of you know, for more than 4 months.” Have been getting buy-in from WGs and GAs around NYC.

“What we’re trying to do tonight is really help our movement go forward; we’ve been co-opted by Obama, now using 99% language, and other..”

Cont’d: “…politicians are appropriating that.” Notes we still need to get to the Goals part of their job, but this is for #OWS’ vision.

“We want everyone’s voices. Without everyone’s words,” can’t do it properly. “This is the world we wish to create and be a part of.” #NYCGA

“We want everyone to participate. And, we *are* taking friendly amendments.” #HAH #OWS #NYCGA

Here’s the current draft of the Vision & Goals Working Group Vision Stment, which we’ll discuss tonight. #NYCGA #OWS http://t.co/D5WKZtw5

Here’s the current draft of the Vision & Goals Working Group Vision Stment, which we’ll discuss tonight. #NYCGA #OWS http://t.co/dSdQbNPS

First CQ is about why we need just one vision statement. “I’d hope that many could flourish side-by-side.” #NYCGA #OWS

A: “This working group started in response to certain people trying to speak for #OWS without respecting diversity found here.” #NYCGA #OWS

No matter what political philosophy you poll here, “you can always find someone to raise a hand.” Wants this to rep all of us. #NYCGA #OWS

“The Vision and Goals WG does not have an exclusive lock on vision statements.” Others can bring their own to adopt alongside… #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: …but “today we want consensus on this statement you see today.” #NYCGA #OWS

CQ: “Why does the word cooperation not exist in this document at all?” Melanie says she emailed them for last round of comments… #NYCGA

Melanie: “I feel I’m not alone in saying this movement is very much about changing the paradigm from competition to cooperation…” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “…were not things one person said to us, they were things we heard many times.” Patrick points to his own priority of privacy….

Cont’d: “…so, that would be a blocking concern for me.” Patrick apologizes if she was offended. “Things that made it into this document..”

Cont’d: …which didn’t make it. “But that was one person’s voice; I was the only one.” So, the Vision stmnt is for things we agree on. #OWS

Next Concern is that we should stop paying attention to vision and should move to goals. “Vision is going to be 1,000 pages.” #NYCGA #OWS

A: “Because it’s been 4 months and it’s taken this long to get through vision, we’ve decided to wait on goals.” It can be very divisive…

Patrick notes tht when ppl start talking about amendments to the constitution, “all the anarchists start to freak out,” don’t want reform.

Sumumba notes he’d like people to come and join them. “But not to take over the process. We’ve had that,” he notes w/ a chuckle. #NYCGA #OWS

OK, we’re out of time; Stairs asks to extend for 10 more minutes. Looks good. Concerns stack starts now. #NYCGA #OWS

Shawn’s concern is “not about the language itself, it’s about us deciding what the vision statement for the movement is…” #NYCGA #OWS

Shawn feels “less good about that than he did before.” “The way you guys have gone about this has been awesome,” notes Patrick reached…

Cont’d: …out to him after he blocked last time & that they’ve bn intent on reaching consensus. He suggests we all have own vision stmnts.

Shawn also points out “the word ‘capitalism’ doesn’t appear in this statement at all. That’s my concern.” #NYCGA #OWS

Stairs notes that often concerns can come w/ a friendly amendment that could resolve them. Asks Shawn if there’s one for his. #NYCGA #OWS

Shawn: “I’d really lk to see some sort of recognition in this doc tht capitalism is a root cause” to be addressed in achieving this vision.

Shawn suggests language. “Global capitalism causes” infringement on human rights… some other stuff. #NYCGA #OWS

Dude suggests Shawn meant “irresponsible capitalism, not all capitalism;” We quickly snap into a discussion of capitalism’s pros/cons. #OWS

Patrick, who is presenting, works with Shawn to try to determine language; Shawn will return during friendly amendments (next stack). #NYCGA

Continuing with concerns. Corey notes “we have a very large stack, so we’re closing concerns stack.” Bana is next. #NYCGA #OWS

Bana’s concern. “I agree w/ what Melanie said about “coopration”, but I’m more partial to word “reciprocity” in fairness ‘graph.” #NYCGA

A: “Where would it be exactly?” Bana: “In Fairness; I’ll get on stack during friendly amendments.” Bana also is concerned that… #NYCGA

Cont’d: …she doesn’t “feel it’s really powerful,” or embody “the passion that’s in this movement.” #NYCGA #OWS

A: “Bana notes the language isn’t punchy enough; it’s not pouncing off the page in our living rooms.” Notes that crowd-sourcing work…

Cont’d: ..makes that type of language difficult to produce. Suggests it’s better, though, that everyone contributed, can be guiding post.

Lopi “admires [their] fortitude, you keep coming back and sticking to it.” But still concerned because she notes sometimes friendly…

Cont’d: …amendments accepted during previous GA presentations sometimes are deleted. A: “We’ve had several meetings since that GA…”

Cont’d: “…including our last meeting.” They talked about it, tried to consense on it, thought it worked better in goals statement. #NYCGA

Sumumba suggests that the vision statement should bleed into the goals statement, but Lopi is still upset that things were removed. #NYCGA

Patrick notes that when specifics are put in, people always get into “what about the prison industrial complex? What about big pharma?…”

Cont’d: “…what about Monsanto?” (“FUCK MONSANTO!” many in the GA respond on cue.) Those specifics should be in goals, he says. #NYCGA #OWS

OK, time’s up on this proposal. Stairs temp-checks 10 minutes…don’t want to do 5, because there are 10 ppl on concerns stack. #NYCGA #OWS

Stairs: “While it’s mixed, we see a lot of so-sos and a lot of downs, which leads me to believe that this group does not want to go…” #OWS

Cont’d: “…forward on this proposal right now.” Essentially, the GA didn’t want to spend more time on it right now, so proposal is tabled.

[One constraint here at 60 Wall is that usually security ushers us out at about 9:30 (even tho it officially closes at 10.) #NYCGA #OWs

OK, moving onto the next proposal, which is the proposal for a Zeitgeist Working Group. #NYCGA #OWS

Hans kicks it off. "I'm w/ the Outreach Working Group, but I'm also part of the Zeitgeist movement." They'd lk to start an #OWS working grp.

Cont'd: "Part of our work will be outside of #OWS, but part of it will be side-by-side" w/ #OWS. #NYCGA #OWS

They say this will be great for members of the Zeitgeist movement, who can get involved in #OWS. "When you look at #OWS, its real value is..

Cont'd: "...creating the spaces for people to come in. Even if there's a difference in vision, ppl can get on the ground and work together."

Cont'd: "If ppl want to specifically know what the Movement's about, we can give ideas, but this is about getting in the same fold and..."

Cont'd: "..working together on a number of issues." Notes that in Outreach they've worked side-by-side w/ many groups. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont'd: "So, this work continues, and it gives us an opportunity to be more vibrant and this movement an opportunity to get more ideas."

Notes their movement is international, but also local, "and in terms of local there's no better place to be than #OWS." #NYCGA

Opening stack for clarifying questions on the proposal. Marisa's CQ: "What specifically is the idea behind the Zeitgeist movement?" #NYCGA

Cont'd: "What are you? What do you do?" A: "Like any other group, we're looking to transform the world. Have raised concerns with..." #NYCGA

Cont'd: "..economic systems and so on and so forth." Notes sometimes you have an idea, but working with others you see the reality. #NYCGA

"The Zeitgeist movement came out of 2 movies" looking at the economic system and many of its flaws. "It looks at several things..." #NYCGA

Cont'd: ..."including new technology." Notes that #OWS is a movement of new technology, "cell phones, iPhones, where everyone on ground..."

Cont'd: "...can be a reporter." CQ: "I support the creation of new groups, but I'm a little concerned about the movie, because it's..."

Cont'd: "...I don't know if everyone here has seen it, but -- what's yr vision?" A: "Which [movie]?” Notes that #OWS has created spaces…

Cont’d: …for various ideas and visions. “This will help members to take what is a view of the possible world” and use process to develop.

Daryl’s POI about Zeitgeist: “They are a horizontal movement,” they believe there is no reason there should be hunger, poverty, etc. #NYCGA

“A lot of their solutions are very much in the future, whereas #OWS is rooted in how things are now,” so he sees it as kind of a bridge.

CQ: “Is the structure of the Zeitgeist movement compatible with the structure of #OWS? Leaderless, horizontal?” #NYCGA #OWS

A: “Speaking as Outreach, if you asked every movement who came to #OWS that question, you wouldn’t talk to many.” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “This movement will allow young people who’ve watched the film to get involved”, and they’re committed to horizontalism. #NYCGA #OWS

OK, Concerns. C: “I think the idea of starting as an outside org and coming in is beautiful and I hope it happens. My concern is that…”

Cont’d: “…the way you’re speaking about your movement” isn’t completely clear and transparent. Asks that WG identify itself as… #NYCGA

Cont’d: …a bridge between #OWS and the Zeitgeist movement, not solely part of #OWS. #NYCGA

FA: “My amendment would be at meetings and on website you mention history of the Zeitgeist movement regularly.” In mission stment. #OWS

OK, the proposers accept the amendment. Next C: “I have serious political disagreements and also oppose any outside…” #OWS #NYCGA

Cont’d: “..groups existing within #OWS as a working group.” A: “That’s a very general concern,” not sure how they can address it. #NYCGA

A: “If he has any specific things he would like to address, we can answer.” That’s it for concerns; opening friendly amendment stack. #NYCGA

No friendly amendments, so we’re moving on. Stairs: “So, we’re now going to take a temp check to see how people feel about moving forward.”

They’ll restate the proposal w/ accepted amendments. “The proposal is to start a WG w/in #OWS run by Zeitgeist movement, congruent…”

Cont’d: “…with the GA and Occupy goals, & it’s based on the use of technology to provide necessities of life to all w/o price tag.” #NYCGA

They’ll make sure that the history of the Zeitgeist movement is part of their mission statement and entered in minutes. #NYCGA #OWS

OK, we’re moving to consensus. Any standasides? 4 standasides. Corey asks if any want to speak to it. #NYCGA #OWS

One will: “As a personal matter, I don’t feel comfortable with you becoming a working group.” A: “Uncomfortability is part of progress…”

Cont’d: “…it’s part of struggle.” The stander-aside says “it’s just that I’ve seen the movie.” Frances’ standaside is she’s not comfy…

Cont’d: …enough w/ what the word Zeitgeist means. A: “It’s a German term that means “the spirit of the times.” They want to break thru….

Cont’d: …where we are in history, this strifeful time, and envision what the new world looks like. Stairs: “Any blocks?” 5 blocks? #NYCGA

Nathan reminds us “a block is a moral, ethical, safety cncrn for group as a whole that is so strong, you’d have to consider leaving mvmnt.”

First: “My concern is outside groups should not be a working group.” Doesn’t want to split movement politically. #NYCGA #OWS

A: “This is not political. It’s an alternative to the status quo; we should welcome all ppl who have potential alternatives to status quo.”

Cont’d: “It would make the movement stronger to have as many ppl as you can offer alternatives to the status quo.” #NYCGA #OWS

Marisa’s block: “The intention of a working group is to be an internal group that does logistical or idea-generating work,” in the movement.

Cont’d: “This isn’t a working group; it doesn’t meet the definition.” Is worried about outside groups using working groups to get influence.

Cont’d: “I also don’t know enough of what you’re about; it opens the floodgates to political parties of all kinds. It’s bad for the mvmnt.”

Cont’d: “Also, nothing is stopping them from being involved as individuals. This is about the working group designation.” #NYCGA #OWS

Next: “This is the 1st time I’ve ever blocked; I take it seriously. You can participate as individuals; I’m just opposed to an outside…”

Cont’d: “…movement existing in such an official way” in Occupy Wall Street. His personal views of Zeitgeist don’t matter, he says. #NYCGA

The proposers accept that. Sumumba withdraws his block based on the way they’ve responded to other blocks. One more on same grounds too tho.

Nathan notes that several blocks remain. We’ll move to modified consensus. “Raise your hand if you’re supporting this proposal.” #NYCGA

Nathan calls for hands against…. it’s only 33% for, whatever it is. We thank the proposers, who say they’ll still support #Occupy. #NYCGA

OK, that’s it for proposals. Announcements! OccupyNewark notes they got some money from #OWS in January. #NYCGA #OWS

She says she put some money down for their trip to OccupyCongress, to be paid back with those funds, but hasn’t been able to get ‘em back.

Next: Someone says she’s been following us on @LibertySqGA, “Whoever that is!” She wants to know what we’re doing for #AmericanSpring.

“Come see us, because we’re going to do something.” (Sorry, if there are more details, send em to us! Hi!) #NYCGA #OWS

Next, #MayDay meetings are at 33 West 14th Street, tomorrow, 6:30. (They meet every Weds and Sat, tho Sat times change). #NYCGA #OWS

OK, that’s it fam! Thnks for reading. See you tomorrow night for the Spokescouncil meeting at the Quaker Friends society in Brooklyn! #NYCGA

From earlier in the GA, here’s a photo of the #MayDay call to action language we consensed to support! #NYCGA #OWS http://t.co/Wph61544

NYC Operational Spokes Council 2/13/2012 (Minutes)

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Spokes Council Minutes.

NYC OPERATIONAL SPOKES COUNCIL DAY 150

Date/Time: 2/13/12,

Location: Riverside Church

Audio Recording

Facilitation: Anthony, Sean, David
Stack: Bana
Minutes: Corey

Reportbacks: Kitchen, Occupy Info, Town Planning, quasi-reportback about march today from facilitator Anthony

Proposal: Create a Budget Process for Spokes Council (Accounting) – Discussion
Proposal: Not use petty cash (Accounting) – Consensus
Proposal: Start Meeting at scheduled time (Town Planning) – Tabled

Announcements: Outreach, Media, InfoHub, GA Council, Marisa

Read more »

Tweets for Mon, 13 Feb 2012

Posted by & filed under Livetweets.

Hi fam! We’re starting #OWS Spokescouncil at Riverside Church. Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4. #NYCSC

Announcements: Kitchen tells us that they were contacted by someone and asked to hold off on filing their permit request for #Occupalooza.

Kitchen says the person indicated that other ppl (she said they gave the impression they meant “higher-ups”) were planning a similar event.

Kitchen: “I have to say, I found the conversation condescending,” like they would get us involved eventually but wanted to run show. #NYCSC

So, that was upsetting to her. Justin from Info tells us they consensed to split back into InfoHub and Info. #NYCSC #OWS

Town Planning tells us that the 2,3 trains are being shut down at 10pm tonight. “I recommend, for this reason, ths meeting end before then.”

Nick from OWSNYC.TV is going to be doing a teach-in here on Sunday at OTS. “If anyone’s interested, they’re welcome to join.” #NYCSC #OWS

Trish tells us the “General Assembly Working Group” will meet 2/18 at 11am-1pm to “discuss the 1% w/in #OWS.” #NYCSC #OWS

Marisa, too, is “concerned about the 1%” in #OWS. At 16 Beaver on Weds, she’ll host a convo re: sustainability & power, privilege, access.

OK, we’re moving to our first proposal, which is a continuation of Wednesday’s discussion (which did not end in consensus). #NYCSC #OWS

“Given what happened Wednesday, we tried to bring a budget proposal.” Thought spending freeze would end Tues; it won’t. #NYCSC #OWS

“That puts some of the time pressure off, and I know some of the concerns Weds were about letting this come out of concerns in the…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…community rather than people pushing it.” “But also, we promised you numbers: what we have, wht we’ve spent, and current wkly #s.”

“First, our $ is in Amalgamated Bank; there’s $182,xxx,” in that account.” Plus pending equals “a grand total of $192,374.69.” #NYCSC #OWS

“The bail fund is about $92k,” which means we have roughly $100k cash-on-hand.” Hopes $ will pick back up, but “I wouldn’t count on it.”

Christine tells us Accounting has just about gotten up to date with online records. “That’s sort of a victory for the movement.” #NYCSC

“Every week, we have 6 reoccurring budgets. The biggest is Kitchen; they’re allocated $10k a week. They do not usually spend $10k/wk.”

Cont’d: “Thank you, Kitchen. They usually spend between $4-6k a week.” Street Medics get $1100/wk, the Medical Clinic gets $1050/wk.” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “We consensed in this body on 4 wks of Metrocards at $4080/wk.” One more after this week, then it expires. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “There’s a $2k/week Outreach printing budget, & Facilitation roughly gets $450/week for space for SC; they haven’t been using all.”

“So, right now, we’ve got 5 or 6 weeks” of money at current outflow, “and that’s with the spending freeze.” #NYCSC #OWS

Christine: “And a reportback: Accounting is looking into bookkeepers.” “We understand we’re amateurs; we’re looking for professional help.”

Ravi: “The proposal we brought Weds; there were 2 parts. The first was baseline-type things we thought were important to frame discussion.”

Cont’d: “and the second wasn’t a budget itself, but it was something a budget process might look like.” Wanted buy-in for process from us.

Cont’d: “One of the standards we should be measuring is, for instance, the idea that anything we spend $ on must make clear contribution…”

Cont’d: “…to our movement’s actions and goals.” People last week were confused about which WGs fit into that. #NYCSC #OWS

OK, so we’re going to take stack for an open discussion a la this proposal: http://t.co/q4KSSHBg #NYCSC #OWS

In Spokescouncil, working groups confer, and then their spokes express the resulting dialogue or consensus to larger group. #NYCSC #OWS

Info is first up. Notes we have various groups: working groups, affinity groups, movement groups. “Whatever we do about this budget, we…”

Cont’d: “…should be sure we’re clear on what all of the groups are.” #NYCSC #OWS

Someone asks which working groups would be part of the budgeting process. Ravi answers that the InfoHub/TechOps def of WGs mostly covers it.

Ravi notes that “action and event oriented expenditures” shld go to GA. “Those can be one-offs.” Spokes’d be for reoccurring budgets. #NYCSC

Melanie, Facilitation: “Will there come a time when we’ll decide what’s “operational” and what’s not?” #NYCSC #OWS

A: “It’s a question.” [Originally, SC was for "operational" groups; distinction burred post-eviction. -Ed.] They didn’t bring original…

Cont’d: …proposal because they felt like this was one of the questions that needed conversation first. #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi suggests they wanted to affirm that *all* working groups can participate in SC (consense/not consense on budgets)…. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: …but only operational groups, as defined in Spokescouncil proposal, could propose budgets. #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi also notes that currently, nobody can bring budget requests b/c of spending freeze. “Getting a budget together is the only way…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…to end the spending freeze.” Notes that unless GA changes rules, it retains power over “one-off movement expenses” #NYCSC #OWS

Media: “In Media, as in other groups, there are also affinity groups raising their own funds.” Wants to get better handle on that before…

Cont’d: …forming budgets. “I suggest bringing affinity groups into the conversation.” #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi agrees, says James is working on a project mapping our allies and groups. “The more info that plugs into that project, the better…”

Cont’d: “…we’ll be able to map all that out. There’s a Google form, there’s a paper form,” please consider registering your AG w/ Info.

Robert: “The third thing you brought to #SC [the ending of petty cash. -Ed] — can we put that forward for group consensus tonight?” #NYCSC

Ravi and Christine weren’t planning to, but “if people agree with that” and it wouldn’t be a lengthy discussion…. #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi notes that they feel like the conversation seemed to need more discussion when proposed on Wednesday. #NYCSC #OWS

It looks like we’re all into the “ending petty cash” proposal, so Stairs suggests we move to that proposal after this stack ends. Agreed.

Last on stack is Trish, who claims to be from the NYCGA Working Group (we’ve never seen anyone else rep that group). #NYCSC #OWS

Trish asks 1st if she can get the Accounting report in writing. (She can.) Second, “approx amnt of $ in wire transfers do we do a month?”

Trish cont’d: “And third, does the General Assembly approve these transfers?” #NYCSC #OWS

A: “First, I’m more than happy to give the information here to any working group that wants it, and it’ll be in the minutes, I imagine.”

Cont’d: “Secondly, the only wire transfers we’ve ever done have been consensed on by GA,” i.e. giving money to Occupy Oakland. #NYCSC #OWS

And that’s all on the Spreadsheet, Christine says. #NYCSC #OWS

OK, proposal: “Petty cash is awful; it’s rife with opportunities for corruption and we should never use it again. Never ever.” #NYCSC #OWS

@Alg0rhYthM [totally objective - if it's true, why wouldn't it be? we want readers to understand there is no "GA working group". -Ed.]

Trish: “What’s petty cash?” A: “It’s a random process that never really got consensed on by the GA where it was agreed that…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…GA didn’t need to hear proposals under $100, which somehow turned into WGs getting $100/day.” #NYCSC #OWS

CQ: “Did the GA approve of petty cash ever?” Christine will explain where it came from. “Way back in the park, it’s like, ok, emergencies..”

Cont’d: “…came up, and we handed out cash in emergencies. That got a little bit out of control, so the GA said, we need to consense on..”

Cont’d: “…anything over $100.” So ppl then extrapolated and said anything *under* $100 was discretionary. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “That was fine for awhile, and many groups used it responsibly. But once we got so many working groups, it ended up being b/w…”

Cont’d: “…$2k and $5k a day.” Hence, spending freeze; we weren’t budgeting. “Instead of relying on discretionary funds, let’s budget.”#NYCSC

“If you need discretionary cash, that’s fine, but” put it in your budget. #NYCSC #OWS

Someone: “Occupy Houston are being evicted!” Someone Point of Processes. Christine: “proposers are officially in #solidarity w/ Houston.”

OK, working groups have conferred and we’re moving onto Concerns. Trish only one on stack: “The Concern is this; when groups have…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…expenditures, OK, and say they had to buy some cassette tapes for a recorder — just an example — and that $ is paid…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…out before a receipt is brought to Finance, is that going to be refunded? It’s in minutes of the group that it was consensed on.”

A: “If it wasn’t petty cash, it wouldn’t automatically be returned, but if you spent it before budget was passed, you can say you’d…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…like to bring your budget for $1k/month,” but also include some money for past expenditures. #NYCSC #OWS

Trish: “Are we speaking about operating groups submitting to Spokescouncil a standing budget?” Christine answers, Trish asks her to slow.

Trish: “I can’t comprehend that fast. Are we speaking about cash or a standing budget that will be consensed on in SC for #OWS WGs?” #NYCSC

A: “Right now, we’re only speaking about ending petty cash.” Trish goes to interrupt. A: “Let me finish — you asked me a question.” #NYCSC

Trish: “OK, so we’re speaking of petty cash, which was known as $100/day for working groups.” A: “Yes.” #NYCSC #OWS

Next concern suggests we may need a special committee to approve budgets. Ravi suggests that’s exactly what #SC was made for. #NYCSC #OWS

Marisa’s amendment: “That you ask all groups to bring a projected budget, and then we’ll pass an actual budget from that.” #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi/Christine love her idea, but want to keep the proposal simple. “I think if we did that, it’d open up a whole new group of concerns.”

Anthony interrupts a back and forth: “Is it yay, or nay?” Ravi: “Nay. I mean, <3s, but nay” on that friendly amendment. #NYCSC #OWS

OK, that’s it for stack. Stairs: “Can we take a temperature check for going forward and getting consensus on this thing? “#NYCSC #OWS

Stairs: “Do we have any standasides?” One. “I don’t like the fact that you’re making working groups bring forward a budget,” spend our time.

Trish is also stand aside. “We feel WGs should have stipends, allowance, petty cash at their disposal. There are too many things…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…going on in the occupation right now.” “If we have to start writing and waiting it could” bog down WGs. #NYCSC #OWS

Stairs: “Any blocks?” Trish lks sound of tht better, will block. [This frm someone who's frequently loud abt financial accountability. -Ed.]

Marisa points out that Trish has spent 38 minutes speaking so far this meeting, “which has kept others from speaking.” #NYCSC #OWS

Trish: “38 minutes? No, we’ve been in Spokes for 38 mins.” Marisa: “39 minutes. Furthermore, she comes to every SC and knows process.”#NYCSC

Folks are trying to get Trish to stick with a standaside. She won’t; she’ll speak to her block. “It’s a moral, ethical, and safety…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…concern; these groups are out accomplishing their mission statements, they can’t be bogged down.” “Shortest distance…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…between 2 points is a straight line, not all this bureaucracy.” “Working groups should have fiscal autonomy.” #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi: “We feel petty cash is a serious problem; if groups feel they need help w/ budgeting” including petty cash, they’ll help. #NYCSC #OWS

Someone points out an issue seems to be that we’re removing petty cash w/o a new system. Christine: “The new system is budgets.” #NYCSC

Christine lets the guy know – it’s his first time here – that we have a spending freeze, so new system won’t kick in til budgeting anyway.

Trish removes her block, ostensibly in response to the response from proposers. “We have consensus!” And petty cash bites the dust. #NYCSC

Next proposer is Robert from Town Planning: “Spokescouncil will start at 7pm. If it doesn’t, ppl present can round up facilitators & start.”

Robert, cont’d: “And under no circumstances will Metrocards ever be distributed in the same room as Spokescouncil is in session.” #NYCSC

Robert: “And the third part, the SC will not adjourn, even momentarily, for food or for Metrocards.” [Yikes! -Ed.] #NYCSC #OWS

OK, CQs. CQ: “Are you aware a proposal about starting Spokes at 7pm” was passed before and promptly ignored? #NYCSC #OWS

A: “I am aware, and part of this is to empower the group to pull facilitators from group and start on time.” #NYCSC #OWS

CQ: “Is there a minimum # of ppl? What if there were only 2 ppl?” A: “They could start, but only b/c there’s no quorum. This does not…”

Cont’d: “…preclude having a quorum.” Now conferring on FAs and concerns. #NYCSC #OWS

OK, we’re stacking up Concerns and Friendly Amendments. Think Tank: “In order to start a meeting on time, we need at least a quorum.” #NYCSC

Think Tank proposes a quorum of 7 Spokes as a friendly amendment. Robert accepts, clarifies “it’s in absence of Facilitation team.” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “If the Facilitation team shows up, it starts then.” TT: “You’re making an amendment to my amendment?” Hahah. Nvm, Robert says.

Robert accepts that without his modifications. “Let’s see where this goes.” #NYCSC #OWS

Robert wants to know how we define present. “Signed in on the list? OK. When 7 spokes are signed in, the meeting can start.” #NYCSC #OWS

Next FA was also a quorum amendment. Third was, too. Alternative Kitchen’s is the same… “the issue of quorum is a hot topic, but any…”

Cont’d: “…structure we build without quorum will be taken advantage of” by people who would abuse low attendance of a meeting. #NYCSC #OWS

Someone asks if there is any type of quorum now. “No.” FA: “So you’re making a quorum?” A: “That is correct.” #NYCSC #OWS

“So, in other words, you have to have 7 people to hear any proposals.” A: “In order to have a meeting, you need 7 ppl. Correct.”

Kitchen notes that sometimes they can’t get here until 7:30 b/c they’re distributing food. “If we have announcements, will Spokes step…”

Cont’d: “..back and let us be heard.” Robert hmms, suggests they need to choose attending to other business or attending the meeting. #NYCSC

Robert does throw a Point of Affection to Kitchen, tho. Trish’s concern: “Is this a consensus process because you have 7 Spokes? Who…”#NYCSC

Cont’d: “…are they going to confer with to get a consensus and turn back around and consense on whatever the issue is?” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “This is not the way the process is done. At 7:00, if there are 5 ppl in the room,” they can’t make a decision “b/c that’s..” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…not a consensus.” Suggests there must be someone from Facilitation and Minutes here to have a #SC. #OWS

Robert: “You got it. We’re not waiting for the latecomers.” #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi’s POI: “My understanding is that Spokes are Spokes–” not 7 ppl, but Spokes. “So if there’s 5 ppl from Think Tank, and 3 from…”

Cont’d: “…Facilitation, that’s 2 spokes.” Wouldn’t be 7 ppl in the room, but 7 spokes. “Proposal refers to Spokes and not people.” #NYCSC

Media: “I just wanted to say, in addition to that, Facilitation has to be present, Minutes has to be present, & Livestream has to be here.”

Media cont’d: “If Livestream is here, then we know how many people are at the meeting.” Robert suggests those here can organize those roles.

Robert goes to speak to Sean, who’s facilitating. Facilitation PoPs: “You’re facilitating; you can’t be on the proposal team.” #NYCSC #OWS

Anthony: “Due to the fact that…” Sean: “He keeps asking me questions.” Anthony: “…Sean will be stepping down” from facilitating. #NYCSC #OWS

Ravi’s POI: “At Saturday’s GA, there was no livestream, and it went on just fine.” Someone corrects, says it was Spokescouncil. #NYCSC #OWS

Robert actually accepts the Livestream component. But Minutes and Facilitation “will be pulled from whoever’s present.” #NYCSC #OWS

Facilitation is next: “Our concerns are that the Metrocards should be allowed to be given our here, b/c these are voices that get…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…marginalized, and we’d like to have those voices here.” Same for food. “RE: 7pm, we propose a friendly amendment that we have…”

Cont’d: “…at least 10 spokes and 25 people,” and that should not include the facilitation team. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “And that it should be 7:15, giving 15 minutes leeway to ppl who get stuck on the train.” #NYCSC #OWS

Trish interrupts. Melanie confirms for Facilitation: “That’s 10 legitimate spokes, 25 ppl, plus facilitators.” #NYCSC #OWS

Robert: “This proposal is to keep Metrocard distribution outside of the room; if we’d held that line Weds at Quaker Meeting House…” #NYCSC

Cont’d :”…we might have gotten through that proposal.” It can happen outside the room, he says. Declines that amendment. #NYCSC #OWS

Melanie: “The group that’s present should consent”, re: banning stopping meeting for food or Metrocards. So, cut that part out. #NYCSC

A: “Not accepted.” Robert also declines their amendments to make it 7:15. “It can be anytime. Let’s make it 7.” Oh snap. #NYCSC #OWS

Sage has a POI, suggesting that the Metrocard line is not what slowed down Wednesday’s spokes meeting. Robert: “I’ll stick to my story.”

Robert offers Facilitation “a 6:45 starting time, with delay until 7pm” max. He also declines the 10 spokes/20 ppl: “We’ve only actually…”

Cont’d: “..told the group that we’d start at a specific time once,” and “everybody magically showed up.” “This proposal is to eliminate…”

Cont’d: “…that lax meeting policy” and hold us to 7pm starting time. #NYCSC #OWS

Next Concern questions whether 7 spokes is a high enough percentage to constitute quorum. “Usually orgs need 50% present for quorum.” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “So, what’s the number of possible working groups?” Ravi says there are about 100. So, FA is to make it 25. #NYCSC #OWS

Robert: “We don’t have 25 now.” Speaker suggests that we should ask why that number is so awry. #NYCSC #OWS

DA’s concerns: “My primary concern with this proposal is that we could have spent this time talking about the grievance council…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…like Safer Spaces suggested, and instead we’ve spent over 30 minutes catering to wants and needs of this guy here.” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “Also, the point of friendly amendments is to prevent blocking, so as you keep denying, ppl are going to block.” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “Also, the way that you are responding to ppl in this room is condescending,” “playing to patriarchal roles” he’s adopting. #NYCSC

Proposal for the formation of the OWS Transportation Operations Working Group

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Past Proposals.

The OWS Transportation Operations Working Group is responsible for facilitating transportation for the Occupy Wall Street Movement. Transportation coordinates with Occupiers and Working Groups to assist them in any transportation needs that they might have. From cars, trucks, buses, and public transportation, the Transportation OWG will keep OWS mobile.