OWS Transparency and Accountability Act
(request- i dont think this document should be called an ‘act’)
Source: Darrell Prince (NYCGA alias @alg0rhythm)
Authors: Darrell Prince (NYCGA alias @alg0rhythm), Monica McLaughlin, Eric Turock, Jordan …
Transparency and accountability are key components of the principle of solidarity as espoused by OWS and cornerstones of the foundation of democracy.
In order to effect transparency across OWS, Working Groups will submit documentation to Transparency and Accountability as follows:
Task and Resource Management
- Weekly Agenda
- Weekly Resource Allocation
- Monthly Projected Resource Requirements
- Weekly Progress Report
- Monthly Progress Summary
Mandatory Submission Requirement
- Working Groups will be required to submit the aforementioned reports in order to be considered an active group. (Q: what about WGs who are not actively using any finance mechanism? why should they be beholden to this requirement?)
- Reports will be in a standardized format, in a standard, short form, (less than a paragraph, probably 300 characters or so) for each goal.
- These will be completed by Sunday, 8 PM of each week. The document submission process will include an audit trail to consist of Time Submitted, Submitting Author and Revision summary block.
- Version control will be integrated with the submission process to provide document revision history from source to current.
- A Differential tool will be utilized to provide character-level comparison between document versions.
Notification and Suspension
An absence of one or more of the aforementioned documents will result in a mandatory notification to OWS GA and may result in a temporary suspension of GA-allocated financial disbursements and a two-week suspension of all facilities access for all group members.
(who is authorized to enforce this? how will it be enforced?)
- Signer modifications
- Total Disbursements per Working Group with line-items
- Expenditures per Working Group with line-items
- Pending receipts per Working Group with line-items
- Total Revenue with line-items
- Budgeted/Ad Hoc Spending Ratio with line-items
- Group Comparisons and Analysis with line-items
- Fiscal Health Summary
- Step-by-step audit review/tutorial as part of the monthly report
(@erict: Should be broken out into a separate document.)
Tech Ops will provide an online accounting platform for data entry and report review for all active Working Groups, Finance group data entry, reports and line-item override access and Transparency and Accountability Group auditing tools.
- Role definitions
- Working group/role assignments
- et al.
(@erict: requesting clarification and discussion on these)
- The deadline for providing the first weekly report for finance is December 10th.
- These reports will not be difficult to produce– simply add up all the day’s disbursements and you have daily expenditures.
- You can do a reconcile for the change on the weekly report and also include the names of any people with receipts outstanding for more than 24 hours. It’s it’s a very mild rebuke.
- If your name is on the report on consecutive weeks you cannot receive disbursements for two weeks. (if the WG name is on the reports, yes? this would allow each WG to self-regulate each other within their own group, rather than having finance track down individuals)
- Currently, for revenue you can just record the difference in the online donations every day at the same time to get the day’s income.
- When the buckets go back out a Liberty Plaza it will become more work but should be manageable with a good staff size. (no more buckets should go out until there is a full accounting and explanation for the cash receipts to date — still missing from the donations report)
- Reconcile the change from the disbursements in weekly report