Technology Operations Meeting Minutes 12/4/2011

Posted by & filed under .

Minute Minutes

Technology Operations

12/4/2011

Report Backs

  • SOPA Proposal
    • Being presented at GA tonight – CONSENTED
  • Permabank
    • Hoping to release last weekStill need some work
    • Most core functionality
    • Within next couple of days, being release
  • Occupy.net
    • Forums will be ready to launch soon
    • Livetweets.occupy.net – consolidated live tweets of GA and Spokes
    • Metalayer – social media analytics dashboard demo set-up this week
    • Better Means – almost ready to go; elf is sorting it out
    • New skins for wiki, forum
    • SSL certs for occupy.net (wildcard) and nycga.net coming
    • CiviCRM – Sending out first emilal this week
    • Newswire – By end of week, by end of week will have the most complete listing of occupy news sources
  • nycga.net
    • Local installs are finally working
    • New deployment process
    • New features added to site: zoom.it for large images, persistent search, group email, GA/Spokes Council meeting, WYSIWYG doc/post editing that includes tables, day of week added to calendar list, etc.
  • occupywallstreet.net
    • Met with stakeholders (press wasn’t present)
    • Devin has begun forming a content team
    • Would like to use bulletin on nycga.net to incubate content writers
    • Updated site map posted
    • Wireframe development is underway
    • Hope to have design comp to show on Dec. 18
    • Need content strategy!
  • Occupy.com
    • Trying to get the domain
    • Idea is to link occupy.net, occupy.com, occupy.org
    • 60-yo guy named Larry owns domain
    • David is managing affairs
    • Interested in making occupy.com as an e-commerce site that

 

  • Hardware Intake
    • Consolidating hardware into a consistent inventory
    • Developing standard installation
    • Inflow inventory management – free, remote, read-only
  • Supplies
    • Someone has offered to provide – need budget for office supplies
    • Smaller items and rebuild existing

 

  • Computer Budget
    • $8K from anon donor should be coming later in week

 

  • Text to speech system set up (Matt L)
    • Integrates with nycga.net
    • Call number and will be able to hear info from site
    • 855-203-7763
    • Say the word “feedback” to leave a message for Matt L
    • Partnered with Angel.com, system = free for 1.5 months, 800-number

 

  • Voting Workshop (Matt L)
    • Cancelled because no one is coming
    • Will reschedule once get marketing fliers
    • Need to establish some buzz

 

  • Tweet Boat (Justin)
    • Contact if you want to have messages pushed out – send direct message, public reply or email directly
    • Need people to help and get involved

 

  • Occupy Earth (Ted S)
    • Developing website for global on-going campaign leading up to UN Earth Summit (Joomla)
    • occupyrio2012.info
    • occupytheearth.net
    • Looking to do video conferencing inside and outside UN – can use some help with this

 

  • Livestreaming (Sub-group of Media) (Peter, Victoria, Abe)
    • Looking to develop closer relationship with TechOps
    • Livestreamers have been meeting and come up with some ideas
      • Building a Wif-Fi Hot
      • Want 3-4 hotspots and multi-plex
      • Improve media server
      • ModelM – is it worth buying
      • Mixing stream
      • Chat for form
      • Building completely open source live kit
      • Build own livestream suite
      • Build audio mixing software – wirecast
    • Two primary groups currently livestreaming: GlobalRevolution and NYC
    • Meeting: Mon @ 9pm – 339 Lafayette
    • Point of information: There are 10+ livestream projects
  • 12/18 Occupy Unconference
    • Need site to schedule events
    • Operational and training meeting primarily
    • Open to other occupations in northeast
    • Anticipating 500 people throughout course of day
    • Need to create a group outreach plan
    • Need to market the event to get lots of people there
    • Currently, no food
    • Meeting: Monday @ 6pm Atrium
    • Contact:
    • Devin: Programming
    • Charles: Logistics
    • Info: http://wiki.occupy.net/wiki/InterOccupation_Unconference
  • NYCGA.net
  • Group Creation Policy proposal
    • Group Creation Background
      • TechOps is currently “on strike” in terms of setting up groups
      • Proposal came out of meeting with CommCluster
        • Need way to re-activate creation of groups online
        • Threshold for inactivity
        • Labeling groups along lines with
        • Need to fill in required fields for transparency
    • policy, start directing people to it, and start making more groups!
    • Proposal put forth:
      • B1) Re-instate group creation – Open to all
      • C1) Label groups as Operational or Caucus, a UI element (not tab specifically) that
      • Friendly amendent:
        • Add a public statement why we stopped adding and that moving forward, we’ll be mirroring designations of Spokes Council
          • To be drafted and circulated
    • Decision: Consensus on B1 and C1, plus friendly amendment
B1      Anyone can fill out a group creation form for submission to Tech Ops for addition to nycga.net without arbitration. These forms will be availble online and as hard copies in the office.
C1       Tech Ops will clearly label all Groups that have been approved by the Spokes Council as “Operations” or “Caucus.” All other groups will remain unlabeled, until such time as other group definitions may be proposed and consensed upon. Tech Ops will add a UI element for the above designations on the group listings page.

Tech Ops Reorganization

    • Proposal location: http://wiki.occupy.net/wiki/Tech_Ops_Reorganization
    • I rewrote a second version of the same document presented at last week’s meeting. Please reread the document and familiarize yourself with the changes.
    • The main change is the removal of the point person from any inherent leadership roles, making the point person only a position of accountability to the meetings in the collection of report backs. The leadership structure of the groups is decided by the founding document of the group, which, as brought up at the last meeting, enables group self-determination.
    • Facilitation is working on a proposal for group (legitimacy) specifically for Spokes Council
    • Lots of discussion
  • Decision: Proposal was not consented to
  • Question about whether we can change the header of nycga.net to read:
    • Occupy Wall Street
    • New York General Assembly and Spokes Council
    • Friendly amendment:
    • Change to use font rather than image
  • Decision: Tabled

 

  • Occupy Minneapolis is looking for help creating an nycga.net – like system

Agenda Items Not Addressed

      • Twitter
      • Group Email Blasts
        • Should we use this feature of the site? How? Weekly announcement/call-to-action newsletter?
      • Worker Cooperative
      • Permabank

Comments are closed.