Tech Ops Meeting Minutes 03/04/2012

Posted by & filed under .

TECH OPS MEETING 

Sunday 3/4/12

 

Jake, Darryl, Shawn, David, Gilbert, Erica, Dallas, Cynthia, Tom, Matt (livestream guy), Pea, Casper

 

 

REPORT BACKS:

 

Maydaynyc.org (Shawn)

— installing new software, getting site live

 

Street.net (Shawn)

— staging, content being submitted

— launch content consensus hasn’t been discussed yet

— need way to post jobs for editors, writers, etc

 

Newsletter (David)

— on track to go out Tues

— first draft is up, soliciting comments until tomorrow

— need someone to set up address to send it from: hello@occupywallstreet.net

— at some point would need to get working groups using Civi

 

Wiki (Erica)

— CSS for skin almost done, waiting for Aeon to code last pieces

— trying to launch this week

— Amgine wants to put a more difficult spam blocker on the wiki (the Microsoft one w/cats and dogs works really well)

— Jake: we probably only need it on the new user signup, not on the edits page

 

Policies (Jake)

— policies on NYCGA.net are in place, there are links in the footer

— people can read them, follow them, start admining the site (suspend/block/etc)

 

Prix Ars Electronica (Jake)

— deadline extended to March 14th

— highly encourage people to review, edit, add to application in Etherpad

— we are #7 most innovative company, nominated for a Shorty…

 

NPR Mention (Pea)

— we got a shoutout on broadcast, NYCGA.net listed as “the” occupy wall st site, very positive story

— 600 clicks, probably about another 150 direct

 

Occupy Map (Tom)

— design changes made, some new icons, Patricia is making some more icons

— working with some Occupy Town Square people

— collaborate.occupy.net has report backs on all those meetings, usually M/W morning

 

May Day / GA Tactical Communications Team

— Tom, March Hare tech collective in San Francisco, GA in Chicago

— working on best practices for direct action coordination: dealing w/disruption, shutdown

— report backs on collaborate.occupy.net as an Occupy Map subproject

— if you want to be in on conference calls, let Tom know

— need help (PHP development on maps)

— need help setting up CB radio (anyone w/radio experience)

 

FYI (Tom/Dallas)

— GA and NATO will be in Chicago mid May

— it will be illegal to protest anyone w/Secret Service protection (HR 437 just passed the House, passed Senate unanimously)

— Bilderburg conference happening in May too

 

Etherpad widgets (Tom)

— learned trick to turn Etherpads into a widget, can host it on your own site

— was going to show and tell, but servers were all down 2–5 today

 

 

 

AGENDA ITEMS:

 

 

“Analyzing The 1%” TV Show 

 

Gilbert:

— Already have Occupy Wall St tv program, live 1 hr show

— Manhattan Neighborhood Network asked Gilbert to do another show, more analytical

— Show is called “Analyzing the 1%”, will be scientific analysis of people

— tomorrow will learn details of slot, probably Tues at 8:30pm, half hour show

— will start in a couple of weeks

— need help with:

1. filming 45min backdrop for show (maybe a sunset of NYC skyline?)

2. streaming show

 

Jake:

— both questions would probably be better addressed to media group

— media group and live streaming group have video people and equipment

— set designer would be better job description to get someone who designs backgrounds

 

Darryl:

— Allegra has HD on her livestream (livestream.com/owsHD)

 

David:

— we have contact info for media/livestream people if you don’t

— perfect request to post on classifieds.occupy.net

 

Matt (livestream)

— volunteered his information

 

 

 

Meeting Schedule

 

Tom:

— is two meetings a week too many, since Weds is not well attended?

— amendment: more public work sessions, to solve “in the weeds” issues that are typical

— we have a space that we can get into 9–5 (the Commons), we should use it more

— FGA has their own set of keys, want to come up w/access policy

— we should use IRC chat room more

 

Jake:

— since a bunch of core members are out of town, maybe we should wait to change things

— Sunday doesn’t conflict w/GA or Spokes meetings, Wednesday does

— would prefer more, shorter meetings

 

Pea:

— Dana can’t come on Sundays

— we should have the 3rd floor of The Commons soon, as our own space

— does everyone know what IRC is?

 

Dallas:

— we’re tech ops, do we need to have in person meetings at all?

 

Erica:

— Adium (free, works w/other IM), Colloquy (free), Linkinus (paid) are good clients

 

TAKEAWAY: we’ll try and use IRC more — nycga-techops is the chat room

 

 

Crowdsourced Funding Platform

 

Tom:

— Catarse.me: opensource kickstarter clone, ruby on rails app

— may be incompletely translated from Portuguese, someone (…) may hep

— may need tweaks

— Proposal: would like to launch evaluation instance of this on our Ruby server, come back in a week and see if it’s something we’d like to support

— movement wide, it seems there is pretty wide support for this (as response to Ben & Jerry and other people “buying” movement)

— concerns w/outside service that it might be a gatekeeper to protect corporate sponsors

 

Shawn:

— Christine from info is working on talking to Kickstarter, IndieGoGo (which takes less money)

— opinion: we’re OWS and we’ll go where we go, we don’t need to ask for permission

 

David:

— we’re kind of building an occupy.net brand for those kind of services

— concern: Civi has this kind of functionality, not as friendly (but fine with

— concern: Permabank has long had something like this in mind (but sense is that it’s not arriving soon, or maybe ever)

 

Tom:

— migrating would be fine, if Permabank ever gets going… it’s been five months…

 

Pea:

— most traffic to Kickstarter is direct, would expect same here

— if it’s successful, it will get more volunteers and support

 

Jake:

— are there featured projects, who determines those?

— it sounds complicated, how are we going to support this?

 

Tom:

— ideally there’s consensus based front page of posts

— it could pay for itself, through a specific campaign

— support for our projects is in proportion to visibility they have

 

Darryl:

— if we’re going to be in the business of money, we’re going to have to charge for that

 

Tom/Pea:

— that would be blocked (taxation)

 

TAKEAWAY: People generally positive

 

ACTION ITEM: Tom will put up an instance, we’ll evaluate in a week

 

 

 

SIS (Office Space)

 

Darryl:

— laptops are scheduled to come down to SIS (38 Broadway) tomorrow

— talked about bringing over G5 to SIS, to help manage operations

 

Casper:

— there’s a bunch of media stuff, and global rev; most of it is going to SIS

— a bunch of stuff is damaged, cords are missing, etc.

— need help fixing stuff

 

Dallas:

— will probably be at SIS putting in network for next month, just ask

— whoever has storage for G4s and G5s, Libby wants them out of there

 

Pea:

— laptops are almost ready to go

— two are there, no one seems to know where other two are

— another netbook doesn’t have a cord, not clear if it works

— another two laptops, big and old but they do work

— also another tiny one that used to be Pea’s

— hasn’t had a chance to look at inventory systems yet

 

Casper:

— is there any way to use serial numbers, etc, to track equipment? these are $250 laptops…

— SIS is currently on lockdown, it’s not going to be a library or computer bank

 

Jake:

— we have the order information

 

Dallas:

— I’m putting network wherever these computers are… are we sure that we can use SIS? (Jake: no.)

 

Darryl:

— will talk to Steve (building manager) about long-term space at SIS

— is there any possibility of getting space at 388 (The Commons)?

 

Pea:

— The Commons is not going to be an open space for us

— FYI: Charlotte’s place will be shut for a month, starting next month

 

Tom:

— friendly proposal/amendment: let’s pool contacts on Etherpad, see if we can get space donated

 

Casper:

— seems as if various working groups are getting space, but not sharing that

 

Tom:

— let’s promote this as a community center, a common space

 

Erica:

— how much space do we need?

 

Pea:

— 15–18 desktops, plus printers, plus people…

— don’t do so well with doormen and lobbies, etc.

 

Tom:

— storefront open 9–9 would be ideal

— set some expectations and policies when we launch the space

 

Casper:

— friendly amendment: get and fix equipment, deploy it once we have a space

— some occupiers are not politically correct and friendly, we are on a thread at SIS

 

Darryl:

— definitely see need for space, especially for Design, Tech Ops, Outreach, would be game changer

 

 

 

Civi for Working Groups

 

Shawn:

— could we start w/report back, since many people are confused?

— everyone thinks that Civi is not ready yet

 

David:

— Civi can send emails, is going to send the mass email on Tuesday

— a few working groups are on there already (have emails, not sure about admins)

— Outreach, Occupy Town Square, Tech Ops

— there is a technical process in place for adding working group, admin setup

— barriers are all nontechnical at this point: promoting to working groups, training, knowing who we can trust as admins

— Dana might know of something else that needs to be done

 

Pea:

— it’s now on contribute.occupywallstreet.net

— Drew and Matt L are working on theme to match ows.net

— is it named yet? it’s on contribute as a subdomain

 

Jake:

— in mass email, let’s make it clear that Civi exists and is ready to use

— contribute sounds like a money system

 

David:

— changing domain name might be tricky (Jake: not really)

 

Darryl:

— major concern is getting people trained in usage [major uptwinkles]

 

Jake:

— generally people will use it to import email addresses, blast out message

 

Shawn:

— we need more time to discuss, but:

— REALLY need to have CiviCRM training meeting, have heard much demand

 

Pea:

— Dana is planning on that, in a couple weeks doing training on Civi

 

David:

— people can start using it before skin is up

— training can be done by David, Dana, Devin

 

Additional time granted to discuss domain for Civi

 

Jake:

— what about crm.occupy.net? unbranded, teaches them what CRM stands for (Constituent Relationship Management)

— should it be on occupy.net or occupywallstreet.net?

— soon, aka now, occupy.com and .org will be wanting instance

 

David:

— it’s on ows.net because it’s for the New York occupation,

— Dana decided on this structure after talking to a lot of Civi experts

— there’s problems scaling past 100k emails, permissions and UI get complicated, we would quickly reach that if we had a national instance

— there’s nothing we would do with a national instance

 

Darryl:

— usually easier to start rollout in one spot, rollout to national

— can we determine if 100k or 1MM is the edge point of usability?

 

David:

— questions about where national would live

— was going to be subdomains on occupy.org, but we don’t trust them completely

 

Jake:

— Greg and Dana are ha

 

CONSENSUS: use crm.occupywallstreet.net instead of contribute.occupywallstreet.net (latter redirects to former)

 

 

 

 

Metrocards

 

Casper:

— can we change point person, instead of chasing people who aren’t here?

 

Shawn:

— point of information on new process: instead of making a line, metro cards are now going to be given to a point person

— Dallas is a point person, he gives them to the group

— Shawn volunteers to be metro card point person (Evan and Shawn are finance point people)

 

Jake:

— Ravi is current point person

 

Casper:

— she hasn’t been to a tech ops meeting in two months, could we switch to someone who’s present more often?

 

Jake:

— nominates Pea, who is often at meetings, not a point person for anything else

 

Pea:

— agrees, has to figure out where and when to go

 

CONSENSUS: Pea is new point person for Metrocards

 

 

 

 

 

Marketing/Misc

 

Erica:

— Action item: make basic template for announcing each new tech ops project (announcement of features in Civi, GA, Twitter, training the following week, documentation)

 

Tom:

— people feel like they’re being censored b/c the system crashes, or they’re suspicious b/c they don’t know about projects

 

Dallas:

— can we make sure that people know how to paste specific Google Plus code for their event, not the whole site?

 

Jake/Patricia/Tom:

— that’s a bug, it’s broken

— you have to do it manually

 

3 Responses to “Tech Ops Meeting Minutes 03/04/2012”

  1. Katherine A Flowers

    Pea contact me at 60 at 6pm-7:30 pm Tuesday or Thursday (until they run out) to pick up metro cards because of uncertainty about metro card point person I went by previous signed list. You can pick up as many as 5 cards if needed.

  2. Katherine A Flowers

    Pea contact me at 60 Wall at 6pm-7:30 pm Tuesday or Thursday (until they run out) to pick up metro cards because of uncertainty about metro card point person I went by previous signed list. You can pick up as many as 5 cards if needed.

  3. Katherine A Flowers

    Pea contact me at 60 Wall between 6pm-7:30 pm Tuesday or Thursday (until they run out) to pick up metro cards because of uncertainty about metro card point person I went by previous signed list. You can pick up as many as 5 cards if needed.