Request for info from Americans for the Arts.
From Paul: “Americans for the Arts is the most powerful non-partisan/democratic arts/artists lobby in the US (“Americans for the Arts is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization for advancing the arts in America. With more than 50 years of service, we are dedicated to representing and serving local communities and creating opportunities for every American to participate in and appreciate all forms of the arts.”) To learn more about them go HERE: http://www.artsusa.org/about_us/ …
If we have org- questions these are the best people to ask!
They are a 99% grassroots org. It is incredibly important that we establish a nice relation with them! They can get the word out about OWS AC to
more than 150,000 organizational and individual members and stakeholders.”
Let’s work on answers to these questions and get them hashed out ASAP.
WORK ON THAT MISSION STATEMENT TOO
Thank you for getting back to me! While I would love the opportunity to come to one of your meetings, I am located in Washington, DC so unfortunately I don’t think that would be a possibility. That said, I would still love to hear your reflections and perspectives on the role of the arts in driving and sustaining this movement via email or perhaps over the phone if possible. I’d be curious to get your (or someone on your committee’s) response to the following questions:
1. What is the mission statement and role of the Arts and Culture Committee in the OWS movement?
2. In what ways are the protestors at OWS utilizing artistic practices to express their political and personal viewpoints?
3. What role have the arts played in the development of the OWS movement and its message thus far? And in what ways can they contribute to sustaining this movement?
4. In your opinion, what is the most important role that the arts play in political activism, particularly with regard to this movement?
5. Since its conception, have more artists been joining the movement? And in what ways can they contribute creatively to the movement?
6. What types of art or cultural events have taken place during or in connection to the occupation?
Please keep me informed as your committee progresses within the movement and finalizes your mission statement and letter of support, as me and my organization are very interested in learning more about the movement and how the arts are contributing to it.
Additionally, photos in the form of jpgs and video links/embed codes are welcome.
Thank you again for your time.