Queer OWS Working Group – 3/24/2012
Joe and Sean arrived to an almost empty 60 Wall St. and waited till 4:30.
We came to follow process and honor the previous consensus on meeting time and location, and will be returning to Union Square.
We reconvened at 6:30pm by Union Square with 6 attendees.
– Where to have next meeting
– West Village action
– Occupy Town Square tomorrow in Brooklyn Fort Greene Park
– Outreach and building working group
– Establishing a queer presence at Union Square
– Act Up action April 25th
Where to have next meeting
– Proposal for Saturday 4pm meet by the round subway entrance in Union Square.
– Consider postponing meetings for actions
West Village Action
– Take our mobile queer presence at Union Square on the road
– Petitions and outreach on potential issues, such as the pledge for full equality
– Pass out condoms, have conversation with people to find community needs
– Rally around the history of the area, what’s been lost, gentrification
– Maybe a gay history walking tour
– Christopher Park and Piers
– Reach out to organization already doing work with the piers
– Jenn can donate a roller cooler
– We can start by going to the West Village after meeting
– We need someone who can be responsible for storing our kit overnight
+ Action item: Setup mobile queer occupation
+ Action item: Get materials, research, etc
Occupy Town Square tomorrow in Brooklyn Fort Greene Park
– Unfortunately, no one has time in their schedule to commit to this
Outreach and building working group
– Have conversations with queer people in OWS and discuss why they have not been participating in working group.
– Especially need outreach to women and trans
– Jenn reports Direct Action is one of the few groups that is accepting. We should reach out to them.
– Action can drive participation
– Need to consider how we communicate on-line, increase use of google group
– Sean proposes we present ourselves to spokes and do active listening
Establishing a queer presence at union square
– Built around a mobile occupation kit we build
+ Jenn in donating a cooler, and will bring to silk screeners to decorate
+ Sean purchased pink and rainbow bandannas
Act Up action April 25th
+ Proposal to endorse the Act Up action April 25th. 25th anniversary of Act Up, Healthcare for All
– Tif states that homophobia and trans-phobia and the harm it causes are a health issue