Don’t have a public bank? Contact the Public Banking Institute to find out how you can start one in your community.
The Public Banking Institute (PBI) was formed in January 2011 as an educational non-profit organization. Its mission is to further the understanding, explore the possibilities, and facilitate the implementation of public banking at all levels — local, regional, state, and national.
PBI’s vision is to establish a distributed network of state and local publicly-owned banks that create affordable credit, while providing a sustainable alternative to the current high-risk centralized private banking system. This network will act in the public interest, using its counter-cyclical credit-generating capacity to stabilize potential credit crises, maintain the floor against threats of asset devaluations, build infrastructure, and fund expansion of critical industrial productive capacity. Most important, public banking will create jobs, by partnering with local banks to fund local business, advancing credit for public infrastructure, and augmenting government revenues.
PBI’s mission includes analyzing U.S. and global financial events to facilitate public banking, sharing best practices and lessons learned from research and initiatives in the U.S. and globally, using PBI’s online resources, website, webinars, blog, and in-person conferences. PBI’s activities include:
• Publication of research involving the U.S. private banking system, past and current;
• Evaluation of existing and historical public banking models, in the U.S. and abroad;
• Publication of research regarding the legal requirements, structure, and daily operations of existing and proposed public banking and financing systems;
• Publication of a semi-annual legislative guide and presentations to aide local public banking initiatives; and
• Organization of public forums that enable state and local public banking efforts.
The Move OUR Money campaign builds on the successful Move Your Money Project, started by Huffington Post. However, instead of individuals moving their individual deposits, Move OUR Money is a call for cities, counties and state governments to move the public’s money out of private banks and into public banks. Every quarter that goes into a parking meter, every tax payment that we make, every dollar that banks pay in penalties — it’s all OURs. Let’s put it in OUR bank — a public bank, one that serves the public interest.