Proposal to the Occupy Wall Street General Assembly November 10th, 7pm
Respond to a request sent by Egyptian civil society groups to send a delegation of OWS Ambassadors to serve as International Observers in the November 28th Parliamentary elections. The group would need to leave on November 25th and return on the 30th. This action would be coupled with a general request to be sent out to the greater OWS networks calling for self-funded observers thereby increasing the number of overall observers.
- Will serve as a powerful symbol of solidarity in support of the civil society groups who contributed to the January 25th Revolution.
- Will mark the beginning of a global movement dedicated to the universal ideals of democracy, human rights, and social justice.
- Will work to build trust and reconciliation in a post-September 11th environment.
- Will work to protect and support the civilian monitoring efforts of Egyptian activists on the ground
- Will constitute a concrete stand against the use of American weapons against peaceful demonstrators.
OWS Action to Date:
- Through consultation with our Egyptian counterparts it was determined that the OWS delegation should be comprised of 2-3 ambassadors nominated from each working group/caucus plus area specialists. Those nominated would then complete a questionnaire that will be used by the Egyptian organizers to select the final group. Working groups should nominate candidates based on the following criteria which will also be used as a guide in the final selection process.
The Egyptian organizers have identified the following skills or experience as relevant to this project:
- Election Monitoring / Crowd-sourcing experience
- Human Rights Observation / law
- Movement Building
- Mediation / Non-violent Communication
- Direct Action
- Media / PR
- Global Media
- Live Streaming
- First aid/ Medical
- IT/ Technical Support
- Arabic language skills
- Middle East specialists / experience in high risk environments
Desired candidates would ideally have the following attributes:
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to put aside personal agendas
- Willingness to accept risk
- Openness and adaptability to different cultural norms or values
- Gender and racial diversity
Plan of Action:
- Each working group and/or caucus will nominate two ambassadors and a backup to represent their committee in Egypt. The nominated ambassadors will then fill out a questionnaire that will be used by the Egyptian organizers to determine the final group. It is estimated that 20-25 people will be funded depending upon price fluctuations on airfare and other items in Egypt.
- OWS will send out a general request to its networks asking people to participate in observing the elections at their own personal expense (around $1500)
20 airplane tickets at $1,200 = $22,000
Accommodation per day ($20) for 5 nights for 20 people= $2000
Food and Transportation $50 per day for 20 people = $5000
Total Requested: $29,000