PAI Work Group
October 27, 2011
Meeting called by Ted Actie, Group Admin.
Establish context of working group and how it ties in with OWS and shaping political landscape
Ted: What should our main purpose be?
Steph: We need to find ways to get involved with what is going on in the state of NY at least. Does it have to pass through GA?
Ted: problem I have with GA a lot of people aren’t really political so I look at it of a collection of movements
Alana: Do you have any idea for a bill or something =- like environmental hook up with other working groups – connect with those special and work with them to go to GA together.
Steph: We should have one person in each group to understand what each one needs.
Ted: PA and E has long term goals we are looking to have impact immediately. We can tie in politicians or unions to make this work.
Alana: I get the sense there are a lot of city council that support occupy – council members have spoken out.
Key words to form a mission statement: short and sweet: mission/vision/value
- Short term goals
- Reach out to local groups different occupy group
- Specific bills at a national level to get behind.
- Reach out to voters and those that don’t identify with the movement
- Reach out to GA, etc. for support
- How to get aware of immediate issues
- 90 day plans
- Small successes
- One page sheet that any citizen could read so we could get “us”
- Universal talking points
- Understands where we are coming from
- Citizens understand and educate
- Important to stick to universal talking points
- Get involved in the community board
- Take local action
- I envision something like a continue identification of issues
- Tangible things: i.e., Educational re-budgeting in NY State
By next week envision reaching out to every occupy finding out who is who in your district. Create template for other occupy movement.
Lets work on local stuff for a little while so we can talk to other groups
Look up local to city council stuff coming up – figure out what we want to push – etc.
Contact school universities – a lot of kids want to do stuff like this – be involved in politics since Obama’s election – and not sure how to get their hands on it – including them in this one would be beneficial – outreach.
Alana will be starting internship with city council.
All encompassing – groups local and national level
Get the word out about predatory lending – getting banks to take responsibility – rising tuition. Identify a resource in banking what you could do process etc. Drawing attention to the issue – strength in numbers. Bankruptcy bill congressperson attached on a federal level for me to get an opportunity.
Devise an educational strategy for those who don’t know the political and legislative process
Develop a working group template (mission statement) that other occupy cities can model their Political Groups after
- 1. National outreach surrounding legislation with other occupy groups
- Inform and join
- Empower local occupy groups to be involved nationally and also identify local issues they can be active around
- 2. Local outreach with other groups
- Inform and join
- Track legislation
Outreach: (via social networking, safe email, flyers, feet on the street)
- Legislative outreach
- Voter registration
- Media outreach
Next 30 days
Build a database
City and State
Move on to regional and state-by-state
Local/state/national elected officials
Alana – Manhattan – New York
Joanne – Long Island
Stuart – New Jersey
Andy – National legislation upcoming
- Timeline of political process
- How they work
- When do candidates get started
- Make sure the best possible people to run
- Countdown to elections, etc.
The Buffet Bill – no tenure no petition – must pay into social security
Craft mission statements individually – submit online for review – then unify refine and formalize