OccupyTVNY Minutes 1.31.12

Posted by & filed under .

OccupyTVNY Meeting 1.31.

Intros
Susan
Jessi – may be leaving OWS Media temporarily, but will be back Atiq
Robert – Sonny B is his online pseudonym
Josh
Walter – just got into town, background in audio & radio & video Julie
Fix – filmmaker, office coordinating

Agenda
Jessi’s proposal 50 B’way
Space occupy.com projects – workflow

Jessi’s proposal
Jessi
- met with professional developer, May May, developed a website: owsnycmedia.org, want to keep some of the stuff Jessi’s already created, but don’t want to keep domain name, or the host, planning to take down website on Thursday for refund
- so far: google calendar for media events
- envision website as a media hub, expand it out into other content about ows (including photo & live stream), want to harvest content across the web, want to bring these people in, either through active participation or through embedding videos & sites
- final part of process is to syndicate & replicate all material. Embed all material onto other sites, to avoid censorship

Susan:
- We were discussing this at 56 Walker 2 weeks ago
- think we still need to follow in the basic process of web creation: thinking through goals, checking back with the group

page1image12912
page1image13184
page1image13456
page1image13728
page1image14000
page1image14272

Jessi
- currently this domain name is only her project. willing to let go of this project and donate anything to the collective. What i’ve lined out is open to consensus

Robert
- want to make sure it’s inclusive to media content from the movement

Josh
- Might be a lot of work to maintain
- Essentially it would be curating online content
- Is it a Wiki approach for people to upload to this platform?

Jessi
- We should discuss options
1. full Wiki style with very little if any curatorial powers. Upload content, if people like it, it goes to the top
2. Curated – each video/content is found by OWS Media and goes to the sight
3. Blend of both. Locate people who are consistently uploading content, like Sandi. We could subscribe to her footage and upload her footage — this model allows us to do as little or as much curation as possible.

Susan
Option 1 would just be re-creating YouTube, which I don’t think we can do that

Jessi
It wouldn’t be hosting. Stuff that isn’tOWS related would be shoved to the back
- The system that I’ve set up is me finding good live streamers and tweeters and saying “hey, upload”

Susan
Should we go back to the sub-committee idea

Josh

I see a sight that is a platform for the content that we’ve created in this working group
A YouTube type Wiki sounds very time-intensive, which would be hard if we want to also continue doing production

Atiq
You’re (josh) saying it would be easier to focus on our own content and creation. But wouldn’t that require more work for us if we’re not uploading content

Susan
I’ve tried to say you really have to start with what are our goals. And I think we said at the end of that meeting that we need to showcase our work in a clear way. And we need to present ourselves well. And provide context. And we did also consider curating other content. But the idea was to present OWS Media. We have to start with what we want to do and what’s outside of our realm.

Walter
Usually I don’t speak at my first meeting, but I’m going to break that rule. Reflecting on my time with indymedia.org, when it was getting more unique hits for information during the Seattle protests of the WTO. The kind of reach that indymedia had at that time. In that moment it was the source for mainstream media information. It was lost because the idea that everyone is a journalist and that no editorial work is required led to anything going up there and led to people writing stuff that was like “cops are amassing here…” that led to people in the mainstream losing interest. From my experience, I think we need to find a blend of editing content and inviting users to upload their own content.

Susan
Should we get our sub-group out to work on this

Josh
To tie in to identify our goals. it seems to not celebrate our goals via our platform. This is an open group and we should encourage people to join in. I think we should emphasize our process, our collective process that does represent something, a movement that is open, accountable and

transparent, and what comes out of that in terms of content is distinct. So I think in terms of articulating goals from where I’m sitting. What’s achievable now is to create a place to share our content. We have 60 videos and almost a million hits. Most of our videos from the early days don’t even get looked at anymore because they’re buried way down. It would be great to pair articles with videos, which does not exclude having places on the page to feature other content. It is great to showcase other people’s work as well. I do think right now goals wise the focus should be on how to present our work and contextualize it.

Susan
You can set up a blog so that you feature work and so that you choose to also present it by content area and subject-wise, you can choose to bring in our work, and other work. And you can choose what you want to display. You can set it up so you can see only these videos, or only those videos.

Fix
We should look at what we already have too. media.nycga.net occupywallstreet.net is coming around. It would be good to gather what we already have before we make something new.

Susan
What about occupywallstreet.net?

Atiq
I went to one of the meetings and it was frustrating because they refused to speak English. I came with a lot of specific ideas about what we want and felt like there was no space to discuss it.

Susan
After we had our last meeting, i was poking around website just to see and I saw occupy.tv for sale. The person who owns is it in NY and she didn’t want to mention the price, but I assume it’s over $6,000

Fix
The name doesn’t matter, what matters is the content

Atiq
Whatever we do, we have to be consistent about it. Ideally, if we can present what happened in the world of Occupy in a few hours

Fix
We tried to do that in a park and those were tough to keep up with. When the Spring happens, we may have more people join us, but it is difficult to maintain.

Atiq
Whatever model we create we have to have maintenance

Julie
And who can maintain it

Fix
It sounds like what you’re going to be able to help us with (to Susan) is to investigate what’s going on already. I’m for all of us thinking about what’s out there and what we like

Susan
Should we get a feeling of who is interested: Susan, Josh, Atiq and Cari, and possibly Mike who’s not here are potentially interested in the sub- group

Action plan: Susan will attend Tech Ops meeting to connect w that group and see what already exists for us. Next week we will talk more about this topic.

Space
Atiq
Lulu will hear back from the church tomorrow about renting: $500/month that we could share between 3 affinity groups

Julie
How do we pay for this?

Cari

page5image12824
page5image13096

We could try to get a donation

Atiq
We could all chip in

Josh
Update on the Global Rev studio is: “we’re having trouble getting keys”. It no longer appears to be as great as an option for us as it appeared to be a couple of weeks ago. But we could still get people in there sporadically to edit. It’s still restrictive and the space is small and cramped. In terms of equipment they have a lot to share. Something to keep in mind.

Cari
What do you mean everyone’s left the building?

Josh
There’s not as many people in the building

Fix
50 B’way is closing. There is time until the 10th to remove items. They will post on the website what things need to move.

Cari
Tech has an office that they’re building out. On Spring Street. I do not think equipment should go to Global Rev, there’s other stuff there already, we should be strategic about putting our stuff in different places. It’s really small.

Fix
Everyone should make backup content

Cari
We could check in with Tech about storing our stuff at their space

Fix
The office affinity group is saying “don’t rush.” there was a lot of valuable discussion about space at the open discussion at 56 Walker last week. There’s another meeting to follow up on that. Within the next 2 months,

more space could come up.

Action plan: Cari will talk to Tech Ops about storing our archive & equipment there temporarily. If they say yes, we can move our equipment out of 50 B’way over a weekend – Julie has access to a car to help with this. In the meantime, we will send the outreach letter to DCTV and continue to look for other spaces, or meet at 60 Wall

Other random topics (I got tired at this point, sorry) Cari
We can FTP with it

Josh
A few people came together who were interested in licensing their footage to Al Jazeera for two documentary projects on OWS. It could be a precedent for future licensing.

Also we talked about
Occupy.com – it’s run by an affinity group who want it to host media content from occupy movements around the globe. It would be outward facing. They will contact OccupyTVNY with requests for our pieces that they want to post.

Server space – Tech ops purchased a server for media storage. They will come to a meeting, along with Archives, to talk about it at some point in the near future.

page7image11336
page7image11608
page7image11880

Comments are closed.