Occupy Your Workplace (OYWP) Minutes 3/4/12
In attendance: Dave H, Robin B, Chris M, Yoel B, Sam T, Michael B
Minutes: Sam T
- Intros (5 min)
- Working Group re-definition (30 minutes)
- Survey (10 min)
- May 1st (15 min)
- S_____ (10 min)
- 99% Spring (10 min)
- Training/teach-in (10 min)
- Announcements (5 min)
- Dave: We have two options moving forward –continue to meet at 60 Wall or meet elsewhere.
o The original idea was people would come from workplaces to meet us at 60 Wall, but no longer sure that meeting space is comfortable
o Meeting elsewhere might also have the advantage of making it more of an event
- Yoel: meeting somewhere else also addresses privacy issues
- Sam: reminded group of Eric D’s idea, that we could leaflet in a commercial neighborhood and meet THAT SAME EVENING somewhere in the neighborhood.
- Dave: Proposal: March 11 meet somewhere else to discuss Left Forum, March 18 meet at 60 Wall after Left Forum, March 25thleaflet and meet somewhere else
- Sam: Friendly amendment – March 25thmight be better committed to 99% spring, let’s wait till that discussion to plan that weekend.
- Amendment accepted, proposal passes consensus
- Sam: report – survey finalized this week, but it’s not really in a lot of hands. We have to push it out on the lists.
- Michael: need to emphasize to people “Are you happy at your current job?”
- Yoel – use survey for outreach, not just inreach
- Dave: should we plan for May 2nd to protest at any workplaces where there are retaliations against people who act on May 1st?
- Sam: Yes, should be part of support, but not really sure we are going to see major workplace actions. Mentioned about F29 Walmart warehouse action: http://www.salon.com/2012/03/02/occupy_invades_americas_storage_shed/
o Thinking about workplace actions – how big of a committee in the workplace do we need before we do direct action?
- Yoel: key thing is that the committee asks us to do it
- Dave: innovation of Occupy is action is not on behalf of someone, we act for ourselves
- Chris: Press Release delayed, but good because more input is being sought from workers
o New round of conversation with union local
- Brief discussion on strategic pros and cons of strategy for contacting union
- Sam: have you heard about the 99% Spring? (the99spring.com )
- Dave: is it Dem party?
- Sam: it’s not not Dem party. (in other words, sorta).
- Yoel: it’s labor, community, and enviro groups
- Dave: if it’s seen by Occupy as Dem party co-optation, we shouldn’t be involved
- Chris: second that
- Sam: Van Jones’ name comes up in a search. Dave should ask people he respects, but in general it’s a mistake to refuse involvement with groups b/c there are people involved you don’t agree with in them.
- Chris: not all one way or the other, though. Sometimes good to be more radical.
- Yoel: We don’t need to be more radical than Occupy, though, so if Occupy is with it, we should be with it, too
- Yoel: maybe weekend of April 14th-15th
o Depends on whether we get involved in 99% spring
- Dave: it’ll be good to have something to invite lots of people to, people who won’t come to meetings
- Monday 3/5, Taxi Worker’s Alliance rally, 2:30pm @ QML 21-03 44th Ave (LIC)
- Tues 3/6, The LINE – unemployment demo, 8:00am on Broadway stretching from Wall Street Bull and Union Square. Look for people with “pink slips”
- Wed 3/7, Brandworker’s Campaign going public, 12:30pm, meet at 44th Rd & 11th St (BKLYN) in front of Ryder
- Wed 3/7, Racism, Resistance, and Workplace Organizing (Rank & File forum), 6-8pm, CWA 1180, 6 Harrison St (Tribeca)
- Fri 3/9 & Sat 3/10, Toward a New Labor Movement (Murphy center symposium), all day Fri, 10-1:30pm Sat
- Sat 3/10, Occupy at the Crossroads (ISO forum), NYU – Kimmel Center, 60 Washington Square South, Room 802
- Sam: work on general outreach leaflet, paper survey
- Dave: get login for firstname.lastname@example.org , make Sam admin on nycga.net group
- Yoel: investigate 99% Spring
- Chris, Sam, Dave: prepare for Left Forum