Minutes + To-Do List from Monday’s meeting (03-05-12)

Posted by & filed under .

Environmental Solidarity WG at OWS / 03-05-12 / Monday Meeting Minutes + To-Do List

Facilitator: Johanna

Stack-taker: Pete [?... I can’t remember]

Note-taker: Russell

  1. Eco-Cluster
    1. At the last Eco-Cluster meeting, there were some things to be frustrated with, in a way that gives us the sense that Cluster is headed for dissolution.  Those who went understand why Pete was saying it should be dissolved.
      1.                                       i.     Ken:  Most of the people there were ESWG, and most the agenda items are things we know about from our meetings.  There was poor representation from other groups.
      2.                                     ii.     Tim:  I thought we were going to have a conversation about how Cluster is failing us and how to repair that.  I thought this WG wanted to bring that to Cluster as an important item of discussion, but it wasn’t discussed at all.
      3.                                    iii.     Tim:  Joint-meetings, not Cluster meetings, are the way forward.
      4.                                    iv.     Robert:  I feel there is non-functioning of the Sustainability WG.  I don’t like that the Sustainability WG was named as a thing to donate to on that site of Farm in the Sky.
      5.                                     v.     Robert:  The Cluster hasn’t quite found the right modus operandi.  We need to do outreach—and I will do some of it—to the groups that are not involved.
      6.                                    vi.     Johanna:  I think Cluster is something that should convene on an as-needed basis.
      7.                                  vii.     Johanna:  I really like Robert’s site (eco-cluster.net) and that’s a model for how we can organize.
      8.                                 viii.     Pete:  Our WG has done a great job holding it together.  However females and people of color should be better represented here.
      9.                                    ix.     Tim:  In terms of the Garden Defense Coalition stuff from Cluster, there already so much going on this city in terms of preserving gardens.
      10.                                     x.     Robert:  Agreeing on agendas in advance of the meeting is better.
        1. Ken:  If gives people a draw for coming to the meeting in the first place.
      11.                                    xi.     Sarah’s proposal was that we basically have three meetings in a row on one day of the week (and do this every week).  It’d go: joint meeting, then Cluster, then any planning meetings.  That way it doesn’t take up our time on multiple days.
        1. Robert:  That would mean meeting for too long.
        2. That essentially means they’d be on Saturdays.
  2. March 31 teach-in idea (moving it forward)
    1. Ken:  I’d like it if we ensure that we’re not just talking to ourselves.
    2. Pete: We’re collaborationg with Anti-War WG
    3. Pete:  I can try to get 56 Walker.  I can get somebody to do a flyer (and in time for March 11)
    4. outreach and inreach
  3. The Sacramento Eco-Occupy Image
    1. Robert:  I sent it out.
    2. Johanna:  I don’t like it.  Menacing bull is a bad thing to present as our relation to animals.
  4. Report-back from Sunday’s event (the one Chris moderated at Riverside Church)
    1. Tom:  It went way beyond our expectations.  There were at least 200 people.
      1.                                       i.     Tom:  There will be a UAW labor rally at Columbia on Wednesday; maybe the labor organizer who was at the Sunday event could be a speaker at that action.
    2. Ken:  There was a historical component.  The culture of Japan was explored and how it grounded nuclear power.  Japan has 54 nuclear plants.  The imperialism (US à Japan) of it was also explored.
  5. This Thursday (March 8) Peacewalkers
    1. Stopping at Zuccotti Park at 9:30, then to the UN, then to the GW Bridge
    2. This is the march that is from nuclear power plant to another
    3. We should add this to our events page
    4. The goal is to have the banner ready for this march
  6. Conversation about the banner committee’s plans and how the banner will be done by late Wednesday night
    1. Johanna:  We should post the call-out for help in making the banner to the “Activity” section of our part of the GA site
  7. Announcements
    1. Robert:  On April 14th is the Spring Awakening / People’s General Assembly
    2. Tim:  Academy Country Music Awards are April 1—that’s the day we’re shooting for for a Guitar Center action
    3. Ken:  Tomorrow night is my Fukushima show (WBAI) and on International Working Women’s Day Mercy Van Black is doing something on that, with Alice Slater as a guest.
    4. Next meeting is Friday at 5:30, here.  With Sustainability and 99forEarth
    5. Right now it’s 6:55, and we’re moving over to join the 99forEarth meeting

 

To-do list (where possible, with a reference number to where this came up in the minutes)

 

  • Pete will do some planning for March 31, including securing 56 Walker and getting someone to do a flyer (2c)
  • The whole WG will think about where Cluster is headed and whether our WG should even try to be involved anymore, given the move toward joint meetings.  Robert thinks these weekend Cluster meetings are not worth giving up on and will do more outreach to get the other groups back in the meeting (1a)
  • The whole WG will think about what it thinks about Sarah’s proposal (1axi)
  • The banner committee will finish the banner (for Sunday and Thursday) by late Wednesday night (6)

Comments are closed.