Minutes + To-Do List from Friday’s Meeting (O2-17-12)

Posted by & filed under .

Environmental Solidarity WG at OWS / 02-17-12 / Friday Meeting Minutes + To-Do List

Facilitation: Luna ( + Pete?)

Minutes: Russell

  1. Reflections on and reactions to Valentine’s Day
    1. Overall it was great
    2. There were no-shows and not-followed-up-on opportunities
      1.                                       i.     Pete:  Reverend Billy didn’t call me till the next day
      2.                                     ii.     Pete:  We spoke with Organizing for Occupation but nothing happened with it
    3. We got a lot of press for something that almost went quite bad (primarily for reasons of not being responsible—ourselves—for making sure there are bodies at our action)
    4. Pete will follow up with RAN to see if we can have our story—or at least our pics—put on the RAN tumblr
    5. Occupy Outreach helped at the last minute; Occupy PR helped us get the press release out
    6. Take-aways / what we need to do for our next action:
      1.                                       i.     do more of our own outreach and more of our own PR
        1. Johanna can be more helpful when it comes to this.  She has experience with interacting with press.
          1. We want to keep a list of our contacts in the press and who has covered us before and who has expressed interest in covering us.  Johanna will make up and monitor this list.
          2. in terms of doing our own outreach, going to frack action meetings, going to 350 meetings, etc.
      2.                                     ii.     a clearer flyer
      3.                                    iii.     maybe having a work meeting for tasks to be done together in anticipation of events
    7. The possibility of better inter-occupy communications/coordinating
      1.                                       i.     99 for Earth, eco-occupy.org, inter-occupy.net, occupii
        1. Johanna will make a list of all these inter-occupy forums (which all claim to be the hub for such communications) for the WG to know about and use strategically.
    8. Tim:  There’s so much fragmentation (among OWS environment groups in NYC.
      1.                                       i.     Luna:  That what the Cluster is supposed to combat.

————–a conversation about banners for the WG, and how we might make banners————

[Result of this conversation:]  Tim might have material for a banner.  Dave says we should just design it and get somebody else to print it.  Tim says we can do it ourselves quite professionally, using a computer.  There will be a banner committee of this WG.  It will meet on Monday at 5pm (before the meeting).  On the banner committee: Tim, Johanna, Luna, Russell L.  The task of the banner committee is to make a new banner for the frack protest inside the Cathedral on the 25th, which will read “Frack Wall St, not our water” as well as having our twitter tag.  That is our goal for the short-term.  This WG wants a general banner too, but for now that will be handled by Pete reaching out to Dominique about getting our old general banner back (possibilities for general banner text includes “System change not climage change” and “Planet before profit”).  Pete will also see if he can get 56 Walker as a workspace for when the banner committee actually makes its banner.  Also keep in mind:  the Arts and Culture people are always looking for projects and we could go to them to have them make us: a banner, a logo, screenprintings.  This WG could use a logo.

—————————————–back to being on-agenda:———————————————

  1. March 11 Action NY
    1. Takayo:  Hi, I’m here in place of Minori.  We have a meeting tomorrow, so there’s no update right now.  We’re working on musicians.
  2. Working on a WG Calendar
    1. February 19
      1.                                       i.     protest against the Via Verde (Puerto Rico) pipeline at 12
    2. February 19
      1.                                       i.     wind and water turbine event at 12
    3. February 25
      1.                                       i.     rally against fracking inside the Cathedral of St John the Divine
    4. February 27
      1.                                       i.     National Day to Occupy the Food Supply.  We’ll hear more about this in the Cluster on Sunday.
    5. February 28
      1.                                       i.     Chris’s talk: Planet Before Profit.  For details, see the flyer or the email on the Google Group about this event.
    6. February 29
      1.                                       i.     This is a Portland-originated National Day to Shut Down the Corporations.  Russell L. will look into it and what we should know and where we could plug-in / what actions to attend.
    7. March 11
      1.                                       i.     “March 11 Action NY” / Fukushima anniversary
    8. March 23 and 24
      1.                                       i.     a nationally coordinated action (by 99 for Earth) that will launch agitation leading up to Earth Day
      2.                                     ii.     Johanna was on the last 99 for Earth conference call.  She will do what she can to remember/research where this stuff stands right now.  She can send Russell L. at least the list of people who were on the call.
      3.                                    iii.     Anyone get in their Google Group
      4.                                    iv.     They want to do something around McDonalds
    9. March 23 and 24
      1.                                       i.     This is a couple of days when Community Environmental Defense Fund is doing presentations.  Russell L. is waiting for details from a woman named Alice Joyce.  The idea here is that CELDF will be presenting and invites two people from Occupy to speak as well.  CELDF is awesome.  They work on constitutional amendments and to name Rights of Nature, using local power.
  3. Gibson
    1. Tim:  When is a good time to do an action at a Guitar Center?
      1.                                       i.     The action at the Guitar Center could entail our occupying the space and singing a song on the equipment.  A simple three-chord song about rainforest wood in Gibson instruments.  “Norweigian Wood” à “Rainforest Wood” is an option.  Luna and Johanna will write the song.  Flash-mob style.  Film it and use the Web to publicize it and spread that kind of awareness/activism.
      2.                                     ii.     The action at the Guitar Center could entail trying to do a citizen’s arrest of the guitar—(faux) trying to take it away, etc.
      3.                                    iii.     We’re not sure when is best.  Is there a day that is important for the music industry?  We’ll look at this again on Monday.
    2. Tim:  The main group working on this stuff (EIA) doesn’t want to do a big action in Nashville, instead wants to do the Gibson guitar buyout and and bonfire.
    3. Tim:  There’s a new bill that’s even more extreme than the Cooper bill (in tems of striping the protections currently in place because of the Lacey Amendments).  So the fear is that this new bill will gain traction such that the Cooper bill looks like a compromise.
  4. KXL
    1. Russell M.:  We succeeded in getting Schumer to come around to being against the pipeline, which is a win.
    2. Russell M.:  TransCanada seems to be admitting defeat a little bit, in the respect that they are no longer thinking that their pipeline is going to get approved in 2012.  They are resubmitting their permit application for 2013.
      1.                                       i.     Russell M.:  An idea to slow them down even further is a class-action lawsuit against TransCanada, which would be a huge headache for them.
  5. Switching to a once-a-week meeting plan
    1. tabled till next meeting
  6. Announcements
    1. Russell L.:  It’s my view that the next time there are only four us when we begin, we should still establish stack-taker and facilitator.  This is because we don’t want not to know in the middle of the meeting who’s doing what, and we may feel that it’s unnecessary at the beginning but people always show up late.

 

To-do list (where possible, with a reference number to where this came up in the minutes)

 

  • Johanna will help the WG do better press outreach for our next action (1fi1)
  • Johanna will make up and monitor a list of press contacts we have, for our future use (1fi1a)
  • Johanna will make a list of all the inter-occupy forums (which all claim to be the hub for such communications) for the WG to know about and use strategically (1gi1)
  • Johanna will do what she can to remember/research where the 99 for Earth planning  stands right now.  She can send Russell L. at least the list of people who were on the last call (3hii)
  • The banner committee will make a banner for the action on the 25th (between 1 and 2)
  • Pete will try to get our general banner back from Dom (between 1 and 2)
  • Pete will see if he can get 56 Walker as a workspace for when the banner committee actually makes its banner (between 1 and 2)
  • Russell L. will report to the WG on Monday about F29 and what the good things for us to do on that day would be (3fi)
  • Russell L. will continue to coordinate with CELDF for maybe March 23 and 24 (3ii)
  • The whole WG will think more about how we might use Arts and Culture’s expertise and general offer of help with design-y things (between 1 and 2)
  • The whole WG will remember that we might generally want a logo (maybe a project to hand off to Arts and Culture) (between 1 and 2)
  • The whole WG will remember to plan more re. Gibson on Monday (4aiii)
  • The whole WG will remember to give meeting time on Monday to the idea (again) of switching to one meeting per week (6a)
  • The whole WG will think about whether we want to have structures in place as a WG for dealing with emergency actions in the future re. whether we want to endorse/support them (old minutes, unresolved)

Comments are closed.