Minutes + To-Do List from Friday’s Meeting (03-30-12)

Posted by & filed under .

OWS Environmental Solidarity WG / 03-30-12 / Friday Meeting Minutes + To-Do List

Facilitator: Pete

Note-taker: Russell L.

  1. Introductions
  2. Report-backs
    1. a.     If a Tree Falls
      1.                                       i.     Pete:  Yesterday there was a screening of If a Tree Falls at Bluestockings, and I facilitated a discussion about the film (and its issues) afterward.  The discussion was good.  There was a back-and-forth about tactics (how do we go about creating systemic change?).
    2. Disrupt Dirty Power
      1.                                       i.     Russell L.:  The new video of our action is on YouTube, and it’s from “our own media” (Will compiled it, I believe).  The previous videos are from Reuters (no reporter narration) and a British news organization (with reporter narration). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJ8vxRnFiw
      2.                                     ii.     Russell L.:  The best article on our action last Saturday is from wagingnonviolence.org and can be found here: http://wagingnonviolence.org/2012/03/finally-ows-gets-police-to-arrest-the-people-in-suits/#more-16052
    3. c.     The Island President
      1.                                       i.     Donna:  This is a movie about the former president of the Maldives (an island nation whose very existence is threatened by climate change) that was screened at the Film Forum yesterday.
        1. Donna:  The former president himself showed up.
        2. Donna:  I encourage everyone to see this film.
  3. Upcoming events / looking ahead
    1. nuke teach-in (tomorrow)
      1.                                       i.     elists to blast w/ last-minute announcements/reminders of the event:
        1. SDIPN
        2. Todos Somos Japan
        3. NYC Friends of Clearwater
        4. NYCAG (?)
      2.                                     ii.     Chris (and any of his suggested replacements) is a “no” for tomorrow, so Ken and Minori will fill in.  Ken has a plan for how the teach-in can/will go.  Alice will still be there.
      3.                                    iii.     steps on the south side of union square at 12pm tomorrow
    2. Occupy Gibson (sunday)
      1.                                       i.     at 2pm in front of the Guitar Center (25 W. 14th St.)
      2.                                     ii.     we will meet at union square for planning/practicing at 1pm.  We’ll also use union square to see if there’s interest in having any of the people gathered join us
      3.                                    iii.     Gibson is the target, not Guitar Center.  We’ll only be at a Guitar Center because of how many Gibsons they have inside.
      4.                                    iv.     Pete:  It’ll be a small action, playful and fun, that makes use of our media.
    3. Eco TRAIN-ing on April 14
      1.                                       i.     The person Ken talked to at TWU liked the idea.
        1. Anne:  Rank-and-file TWU members collaborated with Occupy on the free swipes disruptiveness in some lower Manhattan stations.
      2.                                     ii.     The new plan for April 14 is to do a training for the (full) Eco TRAIN-ing, which is being moved to April 21
        1. the reason to do the full thing on April 21 is to make our plans for that day bigger and to be responsive to the reality that Tim now has a conflict for April 14.
    4. Green Festival at Vanderbilt Hall of Grand Central Terminal, on April 21
      1.                                       i.     We’re going to do a melt-in, which is a kind of die-in, to show the other side of the green story (that is anti-corporate, unlike many who will be there at that festival).  We will be moved by the police of course, at which point we’ll head to the trains, for the Eco TRAIN-ing / Subway Party.
        1. melt-in because the planet is melting and because Fukushima Daiichi is still melting
        2. mic check would be part of it too
        3. Russell will see if the Disrupt Dirty Power action still has any of that neat corporate gear.  He’ll see is 99forEarth would come out at all.
      2.                                     ii.     [Informal Consensus:]  We also want to do a banner drop.
        1. The banner will be removed quickly of course (since GCT is highly regulated/policed), but it’s too good of an opportunity, because we could walk right up to the railing where we could drop a banner.
          1. Tim:  It would be a drop-and-go kind of thing, unless someone wanted to get arrested, and it would only be up for 5 minutes.
          2. Tim:  The MTA is really what I’m focusing on right now, so I’d be happy to make an MTA banner.
          3. Donna:  Stickers, like that faux-DEC one would be great.
      3.                                    iii.     Next week we will talk more about the messaging for the April 21 actions (we should focus on greenwashing).
  4. Outreach
    1. Pete:  I want to put this question to the group: how can we get bigger?
      1.                                       i.     We should be more involved with and more collaborative with and more insistent (about joining one another’s things) with the groups that are co-sponsoring this Frackonomics event and the groups that endorsed the frack rally in the Cathedral.  Frack Action, UFA, SDIPN: tighter communications with them and more bodies-sharing.
      2.                                     ii.     Pete:  In fact, we are a good WG and we’re one of the more stable, active WGs in OWS.
      3.                                    iii.     We should never stray from the message that the economic/poverty crisis is the same crisis as climate/ecological threats and devastation.
      4.                                    iv.     Ken:  Two groups we could reach out to are: NYC Climate Action Group and Neighborhood Energy Network.  We should think of more.
        1. New York City Green Party?
      5.                                     v.     Dan:  What are the groups that really should be involved with Occupy that aren’t yet?  Where are the masses of people who clap and cheer when they realize Occupy is in the house but never make it to a meeting?  We need to say to them, “If you like what we do, come do it with us.”  (As Occupy, or as “OWS Environment,” we have the benefit of sounding larger than we are.  We have name recognition/branding.)
      6.                                    vi.     Discussion about just how fractured (and how problematic that is) the anti-fracking movement is around here.
        1. Water Defense had a great series of videos (PSAs) on TV.
      7.                                  vii.     Tim:  I don’t see this group as having such a specific politic that anyone can’t come here and be welcome and link what they’re doing to what we’re doing or better yet come here with a proposal (for an action, project, etc.).
      8.                                 viii.     Pete:  Yates was thinking we could do an environmental assembly.
      9.                                    ix.     Pete:  We’ll discuss outreach and networking and movement building at the top of the agenda Monday.
  5. Announcements
    1. Minori:  There will be a film showing on April 13 of Radio Activist, which is on the anti-nuke movement in Japan in the past year and its related movements.
      1.                                       i.     7pm in the Lower East Side (83 Hester St)
    2. Russell L.:  Gasland will be shown to an audience in the East Village, at the Interdependence Project.  A woman named Jessica reached out to me about our involvement and I will point her to Dave as the perfect person to facilitate a discussion after the film.
      1.                                       i.     April 6 at 7pm at 302 Bowery (2nd Floor) http://theidproject.org/events/2012/04/06/gasland-movie-screening-and-qa
    3. Dan:  I propose that this WG co-sponsor with me a film screening of The Crisis of Civilization sometime in April.  I’m thinking the Brecht Forum.  Here is a dummy flyer.
      1.                                       i.     [Informal Consensus:]  Everyone will watch the movie (you can see the whole thing at http://crisisofcivilization.com/) and come back to Monday’s meeting ready to see about consensus on the idea of co-sponsoring this screening with Dan and helping him promote it and make it good, etc.
    4. Ken:  My next radio show (Eco-Logic on WBAI) will be on the Green Scissors Report.
    5. Donna:  NYC Friends of Clearwater at lost their space (for monthly meetings) and is now looking for a new space.  Please suggest one if you know of one.
    6. Donna:  I’m going to conference on green jobs in a couple days, and that’s put on by Blue-Green Alliance and Sierra Club and so on.  I’ll take any input you might have on green jobs, as I prepare for that.
    7. Leon:  A pipeline in Scotland had a blast yesterday morning, and it’s not getting any mainstream press, especially in the U.S.
    8. Michelle:  Come to Frackonomics on April 24

 

To-do list (where possible, with a reference number to where this came up in the minutes)

 

  • ALL will watch The Crisis of Civilization (you can see the whole thing at http://crisisofcivilization.com/) and come back to Monday’s meeting ready to see about consensus on the idea of co-sponsoring this screening with Dan and helping him promote it and make it good, etc. (5ci)
  • ALL will do what we can to collaborate on a reporter list (a list of people in the press we can/should contact to have them follow our activities, etc.), especially Donna (who saves all the articles she comes across) and Johanna (who has mentioned this before and has a few press contacts).  Russell will tell 99forEarth that we’re doing this and ask for a bit of their expertise/contacts, because they are good at this and some of them come from OWS PR.
  • The whole WG will work on having/spreading flyers for all three screenings (once the time is right to do so) named in the Announcements above (5a, 5b, 5c)
  • The whole WG will recognize the urgency of planning for April 14 and 21 and 22.  Specifically, at the next meeting we’ll talk about the messaging of/for our April 21 activities (3diii).  We have make banners too, for 21 and 22.
  • The whole WG will discuss outreach and networking and movement building at the top of the agenda at next meeting (4aix)
  • Russell L. will check with 99forEarth to see if any corporate gear is left from M24 (3di3)

One Response to “Minutes + To-Do List from Friday’s Meeting (03-30-12)”

  1. d.o.

    Up here in WMass and the surrounding area we are very focused on shutting down the VT Yankee nuke (the same type of old crumbling BWRs that are melting down in Fukushima). A critical aspect of our organizing up here is that the State of Vermont also wants to shutdown this nuke. I note that Gov. Cuomo is also supportive of shutting down Indian Point, a mind-numbing radioactive threat to the city & the metro area. These facts put a whole new perspective on organizing around closing these dangerous nukes. Did I mention that both VT Yankee & Indian Point nukes are owned by the corporados at Entergy? I’m thinking we have the beginnings of a beautiful relationship here! We have formed the Sage Alliance , an alliance of affinity groups mostly throughout southern New England, who have staged demos and NV actions at Entergy HQ in Brattlboro, VT and at the nuke itself over the past year or so. A lot of us are former Shad & Clamshell Alliance activists and a growing number of younger activists are forming AGs as well. We want to send spokes down to meet with both OWS activists concerned about IP and nuke issues , as well as with spokes from groups organizing against IP. Perhaps some of us up here could take part in the proposed Melt-in at Grand Central on 4/21, but we’re thinking we should meet well before then anyway. Your thoughts?