Minutes, Outreach meeting [3 Nov 2011]

Posted by & filed under .

*+ Organizers lunch is Sunday at 1 p.m.*

-*We need a large number of people to help facilitate the
meeting/breakouts, as well as outreach liasons. * We are meeting Sunday
morning at 9am on location – 101 Ave of Americas to prepare for lunch.
Please come!  Facilitation training at 60 Wall St. at 5:45 – anyone who is
facilitating at the luncheon should go to that training

+  *OYB – planning is going well*.  we need to collect more participants
info from around the plaza.  ronny, jon, and amnity are making progress in
webiste.  logo done soon – and then need to make flier.  FAQ sheet done
soon, can continue to spread work to other organizations!   teach-in
facilitation guide is priority for group of people interested in
collaborating with ed & em.

+*In Reach Orientations:*  – Monday, 11-5 p.m. starting in-reach
orientations

+ *Meeting with Educaiton and Empowement* tomorrow to discuss teach-in
model at 8:30 in 60 Wall St.

+ *Next Thurs at 6:30 pm is OUTREACH COORDINATION / STRATEGY MEETING* – we
want to get everyone to come and seriously plan and plug people into our
many efforts.  If you are in a subgroup please be prepared to present what
you are working on, what you need, and where you want to go.

OUTREACH MEETING NOTES, 11/3/11

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Labor Unions – in Rochester and Buffalo – local labor councils have a lot
of excitement

Messaging Publications subgroup

-working on building core of people

-need help crafting fliers, canvassing,
organizational outreach, etc.

Day bus for the NYC marathon media center

If anyone wants to go with, you also can get a day pass,

Update from communications from Tanya

-there was a mass email asking for people to volunteer at the table in the
park

Internal Communications meeting at 5 p.m.  on Sunday, 11/6–at 52 Broadway

OCCUPY YOUR BLOCK (11/11-11/13)– a kickoff even to increase outreach
efforts to reach out to community and already extant community
organizations.

Focusing on three types of events:

education teach-in events, community building events, and creative/cultural
events

The idea is – let’s move to the next step of this movement!

Organizers lunch is Sunday at 1 p.m. – a chance for organizers to come
together, first meeting around 10 a.m.

-We need a large number of people to help facilitate the
meeting, as well as outreach liasons

Inter-occupation database

-needs more people to help!!  Working on communication within
NYC movement but also nationwide.  If you’re interested in helping with
that, please ask.

-communication & technical team – how do we deal with access and being
about to edit, etc.

Tomorrow night, 11/4 – different organizations are coming to talk about
in-reach – reaching out to the homeless – see Steve if you’d like to join

IN-REACH – Monday, 11-5 p.m. starting in-reach in earnest with Steve and
Apollo, they are going to start a dialogue and empower people to have a
voice when they first come into the park. Talk to Steve for more details.

Coordinators meeting tomorrow, 11/4 at 60 Wall St. – Olivia volunteered to
go

AGENDA

1) Meeting room

We’re trying to get a meeting room.  Tanya volunteered to email
Colin to ask him about that.  The space where we had the last luncheon was
too logistically tricky – couldn’t work out long term.

2) Marathon art – this Sunday, 260 million people will watch the NYC
marathon, since 2005, Erik Van Loon makes a huge painting, this year it’s
about the crisis.

He needs some support to hang the painting in the Bronx at 10
a.m. in the morning until 2 in the afternoon – the helicopters will come
through around noon

Erikvanloon.com

It’s guerilla art – it maybe arrestable?  But Erik urges us to
not worry about it, he has done it before.  Erik doesn’t want to provoke,
but thinks it would be great if we get arrested

You can call Erik at 865-233-LOOM

3) Olivia  -working with Education and Empowerment and PoC to make sure
that everything is coordinated.

West Harlem meeting tonight

This weekend,

Wash Heights Sat. at 1 p.m.

Sunset Park Sat. at 10 – Sharon and Alejandro are going to that one

Bronx Sat. at 11 – Erik may go to that one

Astoria Sat. at 2

Can anyone go to any of those and help communicate about what we’re doing?

4) Spokes Council – each working group has a spoke, anybody can come

-Friday, ideally, spokes council is starting – Jillian will be
our spoke for that day, Ronnie is backup.  The spoke will be in rotation

BREAK OUT GROUPS

OccupyYourBlock – teach-ins, service related stuff, general organizing,
there is a lot of work to be done there, also we need people down at the
SquareSunday Organizers lunch – if you know how to get food for 150 people,
pease let us know

So, Occupy Your Block is the only break out group for tonight.

If anyone has an idea of the way you want to be involved in Outreach, just
propose a breakout group and make it happen!

Summary of Occupy your Block

-a lot of community organizations have been doing similar work for a very
long time, so OWS wants to bring everyone together and show that everything
is connected – this community work plus general OccupyYouBlock

!11/11-11/13 is just the kick-off – to have the event and also talk about
how OWS connects – and then collaborate from here forward to
OccupyEverything

We have a lot of attention on Liberty Square, and we also want to give
attention to everywhere – through teach-ins and service based prjects to
bring the movement to the next level

–Someone said – in Queens, he just needs training for how to train people

He’s organizing in Queens, they hold meetings there, and he
will send one person from time to time to come to Outreach at Zuccotti,
there are already several teach-ins organized

Response – that can go on the website, so people can find it in conjunction
with Occupy Your Block

Another Response – at the luncheon on Sunday, there will be coorination of
different boroughs to have their own GAs

-How would Eddie get Buffalo and Rochester affiliated with Occupy Your
Block

Response – that’s outside of the purview of Occupy Your Block, Julien will
give Eddie the contact for Occupy Everywhere, which coordinates city to
city outreach

REPORT BACKS

-couldn’t hear the first one due to commotion behind, sorry!

-Prospect Park Alliance on the thirtheenth ahs a cleanup event – go there
with buckets and work with the people in the park

-Trying to get in touch with Synagogues for Social Change – they already
had their own OWS teach-in

-Earth First chapter for our region is having a get together – there’s
already a talk on the schedule about how OWS relates to their movement

-How are we doing on volunteers?

-Part of its volunteers, part of it is events and making sure
we get the word out

-Facebook event is up!  Promote it to your friends!

Where are we on the website?  (couldn’t hear)

The website will have a map of all the events and a calendar – it will be
an ongoing calendar with events beyond OYB too!  Plus blog threads for
people to be able to comment about their own experience.

-There is an OYB fact sheet – a long version and a short version

-If people are interested in reaching out to any organization – get in
touch with Olivia

-Eddie has a big retiree group that wants to join us – where would you
recommend that group to go?

Response – if they are interested in OYB, we can get them plugged in?  How
exactly do they want to be plugged in?  Let’s generate a conversation.

Response – a good way to get connected is just to do whatever your group is
doing, AND ALSO talk at the event about how you are connected with OWS.

-More responses . . .inaudible

-More responses – the new database will have a section for organizations to
show the interaction between the organization and the movement . . . also
maybe explain about nycga.net . . . maybe form a retired persons caucus  .
. . maybe ask them to attend the organizational luncheon in order to
connect with a bunch of people who are already doing stuff . . .or just a
sign

-There are individuals and organizations who want to help, but they want to
know: BUT WHAT CAN I DO?  OYB is a loose framework that helps people and
organizations plug into the movement.  We’ll send you a representative and
help you in any way we can.  We’re just coordinating – we’re asking them to
self-organize, we just want to help. . . .

Julien: And then the revolution rebuilds the world!

-Report back for Amity on the internet on the map – she wants to have
acciess, all she needs to know is the location of the event – someone
volunteered to get that info to her

-Steve mentioned that there is someone who wants to volunteer to lead
teach-ins on persuasion vs. force, this person has a car, we’l talk later
about htat

-There’s a logo for OYB that the design team did – she will pass it around
and see what people think

-Regarding teach-ins – a host organization can host an OWS representative,
or also we could just provide them with materials

-Showing different OYB logos online – most people like B and C generally

-Luna would like to have a breakout group to discuss logo

-Lack of events pertaining to veterans – Nov. 11th is so near veterans, we
should reach out – there was a small break out discussion about this

-If you want to be on the OYB email list – see Olivia

-There is a breakout group about logo, they’ll come back and report back
soon

-Logistical info – budget will be put together next Tuesday,

-we need all the info by next Tuesday in order to be on the
website

-especially if people are requesting materials and speakers,
occupyyourbl@gmail.com needs the info BY TUESDAY

-Virtual report back from Jillian and Rebecca – they are almost done with
the facts sheet which will help get the process trucking.  It’s important
to realize that individuals can organize stuff, too!

-

-Teach-ins – we need to find out if we have a body of teachers

-a few updates on how the updates might work – we set up a
meeting with education and empowerment – we’re going to crash their meeting
at 8:30 on 11/4

-if you’re interested in doing teach=ins and doing curriculum, Steve and
Cara are coming up with a curriculum in partnership with education and
empowerment

-Cara and Julien had a meeting and talked about –each organization or
church are going to do their own thing, but we want to make some
suggestions, and brainstorm what we want to come out of that (maybe 20
minute presentation about the economy and OWS, then an OWS rep gets up and
tells their personal story, and the last 20 minutes are breakout groups and
open forums about how to get involved and move forward)

-We’ll have a speakers’ bureau where people can get trained to be an OWS
rep, so that there is then a list of people who are trained, so when people
ask, there will be a wide variety of people who could go

-Steve wonders: could we also put together more specific teach-ins, like on
speciic policy topic?  We could also coordinate a database for more nuanced
teach-ins

Olivia suggests: we stall that conversation until how to build on OYB –
it’s a great conversation, but there’s a lot of specific stuff to figure
out right now for the luncheon

-Update- no spokes council on Friday, instead it will be a teach-in – they
are still working on space for the spokes council on Monday

-When should we have a general discussion about outreach framework?  After
OYB on Tuesday or after the luncheon on Sunday?  The idea is to send an
email and ask all 180 people to please show up.

Julien – in favor of have this before OYB

Olivia – let’s get super organized for OYB and then have the huge meeting
to get people plugged in

-Thursday at 6:30 is the bigger meeting to invite EVERYONE to join

-Olivia will send out the list of events before the meeting to the Google
group so everyone can be involved even if they can’t be here

ORGANIZERS LUNCHEON

-General overview:

1 p.m. people arrive – food, tabling, checking, milling, etc

1:30 – general intro to democracy

1:50 – meeting overview – action items, plugging people in to local GAs,
focusing on 11/17 and other things

2:10 – Break out sessions by borough – they might subdivide if there are
very many people

Closing remarks – and then try to match people up with as many people and
organizations as possible, that will also be a time for any GA s to talk
together and coordinate

4:15 cleanup

-There is a big need for facilitors

-Report backs

-invites – Julien, Christian sent out an email

-Cara was on food – she made some calls to Food Not Bombs,
there will be a phone bank tomorrow, hoping for sandwiches – something easy
and not messy

-printed materials – Apollo and Julien will get together
tonight or tomorrow – hopefully and updated OYB flier and Outreach guide

-contact local GA s – Olivia will follow up tonight with Chanel
from Harlem nd Osirus from Wash Hts. And also peole in the Bronx. Julien
emailed Brooklyn and David up in Harlem/Bronx and hasn’t heard back

-the invite email went out today, but there are tech
difficulties, and no one got it yet.  Tanya will follow up with Christian

-Apollo needs 16 people for canvassing on Saturday to encourage people to
move their money out of the big banks– he’ll send an email blast

-A few things to work out –

-setting up tables (who’s doing that?) – hopefully people from
11/17 action will get plugged in – ideally we’d have several of them there.
There’s an 11/17 meeting tonight

-Julien will talk to facilitation about doing Intro the
Democracy

-Who’s doing the intro and welcome (who’s going to be MC?)
Also, we need to write the welcome.  Julien will give the intro and
welcome,

maybe two other people will take the other MC responsibilities (Cara?  Or
Rebecca? Or Colin? Jillian?)

-Who all is going to be there?  Olivia took down names of who
will be there. We can ask Education and Empowerment if there are people,
too.

-Who wants to help Julien and those other spokes people write
those litte blurbs?  Michael, Erin, Apollo

-When are the facilitators meeting?  Sunday early morning at 9
a.m. is the most popular option. But last time people were late and there
was scrambling, so everyone should definitely be on time.

-We want everyone to walk out of there feeling VERY equipped to
take action and feel VERY plugged in – let’s give everyone an action point
person, if possible

-We want to try out best to have one on one conversations with
EVERYONE who wants a point person, and at least follow up

-We want to especially promote: Local GA s and Occupy Your
Block and 11/17 action

-Tables – each local GA has a table, there is a table for
11/17, there is a table for OYB and a general info table

-in borough break out groups, we need to be very specific about
what to focus on

-either here or at another meeting, we need to talk more about
how to facilitate at the luncheon – do people want to brainstorm now?  Yes.

- what should we talk about in breakout groups? What is the
role of the faciliatator?

Discussion about what should facilitations be talking about at muncheon
break-outs:

- Proposed idea – Do we want to give people tools to go home and create
their own GA in their neighborhoods?

- Discussion about giving local GAs opportunity to make local connections
at the luncheon– 15 minutes for introduction and discussion

- Proposed idea – distribute list of contact information for GA contacts at
the luncheon. Many people do not know a GA that exists. Suggested that we
distribute a paper to participants that includes contact info

- Proposed idea: Give people specifics and concrete ways to take action and
get involved.

- Someone coming from area where there is no GA, OWS probably already has
contact info for people in their neighborhood.  OWS can help you organize a
GA and connect you to people who would be interested in joining effort

- be specific, be tactical about how to create GA in their neighborhood

- proposed idea – present an FAQ in the introduction at the luncheon

- participants will get information packet

- suggested to start with OYB so those not interested in Gas don’t have to
sit through talk

- Participants are divided by boro:

Agenda of break out goup by boro: Gas, OYB, November 17th

- 20 minutes on local Gas at luncheon – general info on how to plug in,
answers questions

- then transition to OYB

- November 17th

-If don’t want to be there then can jump out and rejoin

- then come together after break outs

- OYB section:

- proposed idea: define OYB, what can be done – teach-in, volunteer, how it
relates to OWS – what it is , how it relates to OWS and what can be done.
Discussion in group on ideas. Who can link up with who to get stuff done.

- Proposed idea: Facilitator ask questions: what can you do? How much?

Every facilitator should have as their aim 5 concrete actions related to OYB

*Each break-out group needs an email sign up sheet and a note taker*

- Nov 17th section

Total for break out sections: 1 hour 20 minutes for 3 topics

-After break-outs, there will be networking time and report backs.
Suggeteed model for report back:

What will OYB look like in your community?

Any progress on local GA?

Any local progress on Nov 17th?

What did people decide to do?

Report on planned actions.

-Suggested that facilitators get bullet points of what they must include in
the break-out, bullet points of information facilitator must get during the
break out section

*- Next steps – what do we need to do to make this happen?*

*- Tell friends, OYB contacts that meeting is happening, spreading message
about OYB*

*- Tanya is following up with Christian, re invite. It did not go out. *

*- Meeting for facilitator guide will be Friday at 9:30 am, at 52 Wall
Street. Firm up agenda and create facilitator guide. Also create shopping
list for what is needed on luncheon*

*- Apollo and Julian – printing and messaging – messaging on introductions.
Will also discuss at Friday 930 am meeting*

*- Food – Tanya will text Cara for update in food*

*- Room set up – Holds 120 people. Julien will check with Rob on room set
up and sound system. *

*- Facilitators meeting at 9 am on Sunday at 61 Broad*

*- Need person to come to 52 Wall Street on Saturday to get printed
materials and bring to luncheon *

Intros should be very quick. Last time they took half the time.

Suggested idea: feedback box. What worked? What didn’t? Ideas?

Julian noted that Olivia did a survey last time and we should ask her about
it with regard to Sunday’s luncheon

-Facilitation training at 60 Wall St. at 5:45 – anyone who is facilitating
at the luncheon should go to that training

- Concrete Tasks:

———- Forwarded message ———-
From: owsoutreach <owsoutre@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Subject: Outreach Updates / Meeting Minutes
To: ows_outreach@googlegroups.com
Hello!

We had several good meetings this week; please see the  important updates
are below.  Please see full meeting minutes from tonight at the bottom.

+ Organizers lunch is Sunday at 1 p.m.

-We need a large number of people to help facilitate the
meeting/breakouts, as well as outreach liasons.  We are meeting Sunday
morning at 9am on location – 101 Ave of Americas to prepare for lunch.
Please come!  Facilitation training at 60 Wall St. at 5:45 – anyone who is
facilitating at the luncheon should go to that training

+  OYB – planning is going well.  we need to collect more participants info
from around the plaza.  ronny, jon, and amnity are making progress in
webiste.  logo done soon – and then need to make flier.  FAQ sheet done
soon, can continue to spread work to other organizations!   teach-in
facilitation guide is priority for group of people interested in
collaborating with ed & em.

+In Reach Orientations:  – Monday, 11-5 p.m. starting in-reach orientations

+ Meeting with Ed and Em tomorrow to discuss teach-in model at 8:30 in 60
Wall St.

+ Next Thurs at 6:30 pm is OUTREACH COORDINATION / STRATEGY MEETING – we
want to get everyone to come and seriously plan and plug people into our
many efforts.  If you are in a subgroup please be prepared to present what
you are working on, what you need, and where you want to go.

OUTREACH MEETING NOTES, 11/3/11

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Labor Unions – in Rochester and Buffalo – local labor councils have a lot
of excitement

Messaging Publications subgroup

-working on building core of people

-need help crafting fliers, canvassing,
organizational outreach, etc.

Day bus for the NYC marathon media center

If anyone wants to go with, you also can get a day pass,

Update from communications from Tanya

-there was a mass email asking for people to volunteer at the table in the
park

Internal Communications meeting at 5 p.m.  on Sunday, 11/6–at 52 Broadway

OCCUPY YOUR BLOCK (11/11-11/13)– a kickoff even to increase outreach
efforts to reach out to community and already extant community
organizations.

Focusing on three types of events:

education teach-in events, community building events, and creative/cultural
events

The idea is – let’s move to the next step of this movement!

Organizers lunch is Sunday at 1 p.m. – a chance for organizers to come
together, first meeting around 10 a.m.

-We need a large number of people to help facilitate the
meeting, as well as outreach liasons

Inter-occupation database

-needs more people to help!!  Working on communication within
NYC movement but also nationwide.  If you’re interested in helping with
that, please ask.

-communication & technical team – how do we deal with access and being
about to edit, etc.

Tomorrow night, 11/4 – different organizations are coming to talk about
in-reach – reaching out to the homeless – see Steve if you’d like to join

IN-REACH – Monday, 11-5 p.m. starting in-reach in earnest with Steve and
Apollo, they are going to start a dialogue and empower people to have a
voice when they first come into the park. Talk to Steve for more details.

Coordinators meeting tomorrow, 11/4 at 60 Wall St. – Olivia volunteered to
go

AGENDA

1) Meeting room

We’re trying to get a meeting room.  Tanya volunteered to email
Colin to ask him about that.  The space where we had the last luncheon was
too logistically tricky – couldn’t work out long term.

2) Marathon art – this Sunday, 260 million people will watch the NYC
marathon, since 2005, Erik Van Loon makes a huge painting, this year it’s
about the crisis.

He needs some support to hang the painting in the Bronx at 10
a.m. in the morning until 2 in the afternoon – the helicopters will come
through around noon

Erikvanloon.com

It’s guerilla art – it maybe arrestable?  But Erik urges us to
not worry about it, he has done it before.  Erik doesn’t want to provoke,
but thinks it would be great if we get arrested

You can call Erik at 865-233-LOOM

3) Olivia  -working with Education and Empowerment and PoC to make sure
that everything is coordinated.

West Harlem meeting tonight

This weekend,

Wash Heights Sat. at 1 p.m.

Sunset Park Sat. at 10 – Sharon and Alejandro are going to that one

Bronx Sat. at 11 – Erik may go to that one

Astoria Sat. at 2

Can anyone go to any of those and help communicate about what we’re doing?

4) Spokes Council – each working group has a spoke, anybody can come

-Friday, ideally, spokes council is starting – Jillian will be
our spoke for that day, Ronnie is backup.  The spoke will be in rotation

BREAK OUT GROUPS

OccupyYourBlock – teach-ins, service related stuff, general organizing,
there is a lot of work to be done there, also we need people down at the
SquareSunday Organizers lunch – if you know how to get food for 150 people,
pease let us know

So, Occupy Your Block is the only break out group for tonight.

If anyone has an idea of the way you want to be involved in Outreach, just
propose a breakout group and make it happen!

Summary of Occupy your Block

-a lot of community organizations have been doing similar work for a very
long time, so OWS wants to bring everyone together and show that everything
is connected – this community work plus general OccupyYouBlock

!11/11-11/13 is just the kick-off – to have the event and also talk about
how OWS connects – and then collaborate from here forward to
OccupyEverything

We have a lot of attention on Liberty Square, and we also want to give
attention to everywhere – through teach-ins and service based prjects to
bring the movement to the next level

–Someone said – in Queens, he just needs training for how to train people

He’s organizing in Queens, they hold meetings there, and he
will send one person from time to time to come to Outreach at Zuccotti,
there are already several teach-ins organized

Response – that can go on the website, so people can find it in conjunction
with Occupy Your Block

Another Response – at the luncheon on Sunday, there will be coorination of
different boroughs to have their own GAs

-How would Eddie get Buffalo and Rochester affiliated with Occupy Your
Block

Response – that’s outside of the purview of Occupy Your Block, Julien will
give Eddie the contact for Occupy Everywhere, which coordinates city to
city outreach

REPORT BACKS

-couldn’t hear the first one due to commotion behind, sorry!

-Prospect Park Alliance on the thirtheenth ahs a cleanup event – go there
with buckets and work with the people in the park

-Trying to get in touch with Synagogues for Social Change – they already
had their own OWS teach-in

-Earth First chapter for our region is having a get together – there’s
already a talk on the schedule about how OWS relates to their movement

-How are we doing on volunteers?

-Part of its volunteers, part of it is events and making sure
we get the word out

-Facebook event is up!  Promote it to your friends!

Where are we on the website?  (couldn’t hear)

The website will have a map of all the events and a calendar – it will be
an ongoing calendar with events beyond OYB too!  Plus blog threads for
people to be able to comment about their own experience.

-There is an OYB fact sheet – a long version and a short version

-If people are interested in reaching out to any organization – get in
touch with Olivia

-Eddie has a big retiree group that wants to join us – where would you
recommend that group to go?

Response – if they are interested in OYB, we can get them plugged in?  How
exactly do they want to be plugged in?  Let’s generate a conversation.

Response – a good way to get connected is just to do whatever your group is
doing, AND ALSO talk at the event about how you are connected with OWS.

-More responses . . .inaudible

-More responses – the new database will have a section for organizations to
show the interaction between the organization and the movement . . . also
maybe explain about nycga.net . . . maybe form a retired persons caucus  .
. . maybe ask them to attend the organizational luncheon in order to
connect with a bunch of people who are already doing stuff . . .or just a
sign

-There are individuals and organizations who want to help, but they want to
know: BUT WHAT CAN I DO?  OYB is a loose framework that helps people and
organizations plug into the movement.  We’ll send you a representative and
help you in any way we can.  We’re just coordinating – we’re asking them to
self-organize, we just want to help. . . .

Julien: And then the revolution rebuilds the world!

-Report back for Amity on the internet on the map – she wants to have
acciess, all she needs to know is the location of the event – someone
volunteered to get that info to her

-Steve mentioned that there is someone who wants to volunteer to lead
teach-ins on persuasion vs. force, this person has a car, we’l talk later
about htat

-There’s a logo for OYB that the design team did – she will pass it around
and see what people think

-Regarding teach-ins – a host organization can host an OWS representative,
or also we could just provide them with materials

-Showing different OYB logos online – most people like B and C generally

-Luna would like to have a breakout group to discuss logo

-Lack of events pertaining to veterans – Nov. 11th is so near veterans, we
should reach out – there was a small break out discussion about this

-If you want to be on the OYB email list – see Olivia

-There is a breakout group about logo, they’ll come back and report back
soon

-Logistical info – budget will be put together next Tuesday,

-we need all the info by next Tuesday in order to be on the
website

-especially if people are requesting materials and speakers,
occupyyourbl@gmail.com needs the info BY TUESDAY

-Virtual report back from Jillian and Rebecca – they are almost done with
the facts sheet which will help get the process trucking.  It’s important
to realize that individuals can organize stuff, too!

-

-Teach-ins – we need to find out if we have a body of teachers

-a few updates on how the updates might work – we set up a
meeting with education and empowerment – we’re going to crash their meeting
at 8:30 on 11/4

-if you’re interested in doing teach=ins and doing curriculum, Steve and
Cara are coming up with a curriculum in partnership with education and
empowerment

-Cara and Julien had a meeting and talked about –each organization or
church are going to do their own thing, but we want to make some
suggestions, and brainstorm what we want to come out of that (maybe 20
minute presentation about the economy and OWS, then an OWS rep gets up and
tells their personal story, and the last 20 minutes are breakout groups and
open forums about how to get involved and move forward)

-We’ll have a speakers’ bureau where people can get trained to be an OWS
rep, so that there is then a list of people who are trained, so when people
ask, there will be a wide variety of people who could go

-Steve wonders: could we also put together more specific teach-ins, like on
speciic policy topic?  We could also coordinate a database for more nuanced
teach-ins

Olivia suggests: we stall that conversation until how to build on OYB –
it’s a great conversation, but there’s a lot of specific stuff to figure
out right now for the luncheon

-Update- no spokes council on Friday, instead it will be a teach-in – they
are still working on space for the spokes council on Monday

-When should we have a general discussion about outreach framework?  After
OYB on Tuesday or after the luncheon on Sunday?  The idea is to send an
email and ask all 180 people to please show up.

Julien – in favor of have this before OYB

Olivia – let’s get super organized for OYB and then have the huge meeting
to get people plugged in

-Thursday at 6:30 is the bigger meeting to invite EVERYONE to join

-Olivia will send out the list of events before the meeting to the Google
group so everyone can be involved even if they can’t be here

ORGANIZERS LUNCHEON

-General overview:

1 p.m. people arrive – food, tabling, checking, milling, etc

1:30 – general intro to democracy

1:50 – meeting overview – action items, plugging people in to local GAs,
focusing on 11/17 and other things

2:10 – Break out sessions by borough – they might subdivide if there are
very many people

Closing remarks – and then try to match people up with as many people and
organizations as possible, that will also be a time for any GA s to talk
together and coordinate

4:15 cleanup

-There is a big need for facilitors

-Report backs

-invites – Julien, Christian sent out an email

-Cara was on food – she made some calls to Food Not Bombs,
there will be a phone bank tomorrow, hoping for sandwiches – something easy
and not messy

-printed materials – Apollo and Julien will get together
tonight or tomorrow – hopefully and updated OYB flier and Outreach guide

-contact local GA s – Olivia will follow up tonight with Chanel
from Harlem nd Osirus from Wash Hts. And also peole in the Bronx. Julien
emailed Brooklyn and David up in Harlem/Bronx and hasn’t heard back

-the invite email went out today, but there are tech
difficulties, and no one got it yet.  Tanya will follow up with Christian

-Apollo needs 16 people for canvassing on Saturday to encourage people to
move their money out of the big banks– he’ll send an email blast

-A few things to work out –

-setting up tables (who’s doing that?) – hopefully people from
11/17 action will get plugged in – ideally we’d have several of them there.
There’s an 11/17 meeting tonight

-Julien will talk to facilitation about doing Intro the
Democracy

-Who’s doing the intro and welcome (who’s going to be MC?)
Also, we need to write the welcome.  Julien will give the intro and
welcome,

maybe two other people will take the other MC responsibilities (Cara?  Or
Rebecca? Or Colin? Jillian?)

-Who all is going to be there?  Olivia took down names of who
will be there. We can ask Education and Empowerment if there are people,
too.

-Who wants to help Julien and those other spokes people write
those litte blurbs?  Michael, Erin, Apollo

-When are the facilitators meeting?  Sunday early morning at 9
a.m. is the most popular option. But last time people were late and there
was scrambling, so everyone should definitely be on time.

-We want everyone to walk out of there feeling VERY equipped to
take action and feel VERY plugged in – let’s give everyone an action point
person, if possible

-We want to try out best to have one on one conversations with
EVERYONE who wants a point person, and at least follow up

-We want to especially promote: Local GA s and Occupy Your
Block and 11/17 action

-Tables – each local GA has a table, there is a table for
11/17, there is a table for OYB and a general info table

-in borough break out groups, we need to be very specific about
what to focus on

-either here or at another meeting, we need to talk more about
how to facilitate at the luncheon – do people want to brainstorm now?  Yes.

- what should we talk about in breakout groups? What is the
role of the faciliatator?

Discussion about what should facilitations be talking about at muncheon
break-outs:

- Proposed idea – Do we want to give people tools to go home and create
their own GA in their neighborhoods?

- Discussion about giving local GAs opportunity to make local connections
at the luncheon– 15 minutes for introduction and discussion

- Proposed idea – distribute list of contact information for GA contacts at
the luncheon. Many people do not know a GA that exists. Suggested that we
distribute a paper to participants that includes contact info

- Proposed idea: Give people specifics and concrete ways to take action and
get involved.

- Someone coming from area where there is no GA, OWS probably already has
contact info for people in their neighborhood.  OWS can help you organize a
GA and connect you to people who would be interested in joining effort

- be specific, be tactical about how to create GA in their neighborhood

- proposed idea – present an FAQ in the introduction at the luncheon

- participants will get information packet

- suggested to start with OYB so those not interested in Gas don’t have to
sit through talk

- Participants are divided by boro:

Agenda of break out goup by boro: Gas, OYB, November 17th

- 20 minutes on local Gas at luncheon – general info on how to plug in,
answers questions

- then transition to OYB

- November 17th

-If don’t want to be there then can jump out and rejoin

- then come together after break outs

- OYB section:

- proposed idea: define OYB, what can be done – teach-in, volunteer, how it
relates to OWS – what it is , how it relates to OWS and what can be done.
Discussion in group on ideas. Who can link up with who to get stuff done.

- Proposed idea: Facilitator ask questions: what can you do? How much?

Every facilitator should have as their aim 5 concrete actions related to OYB

*Each break-out group needs an email sign up sheet and a note taker*

- Nov 17th section

Total for break out sections: 1 hour 20 minutes for 3 topics

-After break-outs, there will be networking time and report backs.
Suggeteed model for report back:

What will OYB look like in your community?

Any progress on local GA?

Any local progress on Nov 17th?

What did people decide to do?

Report on planned actions.

-Suggested that facilitators get bullet points of what they must include in
the break-out, bullet points of information facilitator must get during the
break out section

*- Next steps – what do we need to do to make this happen?*

*- Tell friends, OYB contacts that meeting is happening, spreading message
about OYB*

*- Tanya is following up with Christian, re invite. It did not go out. *

*- Meeting for facilitator guide will be Friday at 9:30 am, at 52 Wall
Street. Firm up agenda and create facilitator guide. Also create shopping
list for what is needed on luncheon*

*- Apollo and Julian – printing and messaging – messaging on introductions.
Will also discuss at Friday 930 am meeting*

*- Food – Tanya will text Cara for update in food*

*- Room set up – Holds 120 people. Julien will check with Rob on room set
up and sound system. *

*- Facilitators meeting at 9 am on Sunday at 61 Broad*

*- Need person to come to 52 Wall Street on Saturday to get printed
materials and bring to luncheon *

Intros should be very quick. Last time they took half the time.

Suggested idea: feedback box. What worked? What didn’t? Ideas?

Julian noted that Olivia did a survey last time and we should ask her about
it with regard to Sunday’s luncheon

-Facilitation training at 60 Wall St. at 5:45 – anyone who is facilitating
at the luncheon should go to that training

- Concrete Tasks:

Comments are closed.