Minutes, Outreach meeting [21 Nov 2011]

Posted by & filed under .

Announcements

 

Help is needed for Thanksgiving. Looking for a location where canned food for a food drive can be collected. Call Ronny if you can help at 646 755 2535.

 

Ronny needs help contacting occupations that are going to be visited by the Mobile Facilitation Working Group as part of their East Coast tour. Call him at 636 755 2535 if you’d like to contact occupations over the phone and help build a relationship with them.

 

If you can help stuff envelopes with Occupied Wall Street Journals to send all over the country email Cara at cararosehartley@gmail.com.

 

Finance Update: The Outreach budget has been submitted to finance. The budget can be viewed here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmH4clMKoPJ2dHBZU3JpQmxyTHp0UUtsRkdRQVEwekE#gid=0.

We can no longer share our per diem with other working groups.

 

Agenda

 

STICKERS

Some people are planning on starting a sticker campaign. Stickers will be put in store windows at major chains/corporations expressing that they are the 1% and people should shop the 99%. Amity found a place to print stickers and would like to get feedback on messaging and design, a to possibly print the stickers for black Friday. They stickers will not be holiday specific, and will be continually used after the holidays. Amity will send out an email to the google group asking for ideas for the stickers. Please respond by noon on 11/23.

 

CANVASSING

We Support the 99% posters for the small business campaign have been printed again. Please pick them up at 52 Broadway and distribute them to businesses. It’s a good idea to start with businesses you know, and then canvassing will work towards distributing them block by block. Cara will be distributing the posters tomorrow, 11/23, in the East Village if anyone would like to join her. Meet at 52 Broadway at 10am. Cararosehartley@gmail.com

 

If people want to pick up Occupied Wall Street Journals to distribute go to 52 Broadway or contact Cara at cararosehartley@gmail.com.

 

MOVEMENT FOR JUSTICE IN EL BARRIO ENCUENTRO

An Encuentro is a gathering developed by the Zapatistas. It is not a place to present, but a place where we all come together to share our struggles and vision of the world, highlighting marginalized voices, to build bridges within and make both movements stronger (Jillian will send out the Encuentro invitation, which has more info on MFJIEB) An Encuentro is happening 12/4 at 3pm. You must RSVP by 11/28. For more info or to RSVP please contact us at (212) 561-0555 ormovementforjusticeinelbarrio@gmail.com.

 

Proposal: For Outreach to make a public endorsement of the Encuentro, and commit to sending people to the encuentro and circulating the invitation to other working groups.

 

Consensus

 

Jillian is the point person. If you are planning on going or have questions, email her at jillianbuckley@gmail.com

 

TEACH-INS IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Alessandra is a public school teacher and has some schools that are interested in having teach-ins in the schools about OWS. She needs facilitators and people from Outreach to be a part of this, and would love to hear ideas from others. She is talking to Rivka from 99% School. Jillian is going to put her in touch with the people working on Speaker’s Bureau and developing curriculum for those speakers (If you would like to know more about Speaker’s Bureau or developing curriculum email Julien at julienrharrison@gmail.com.)

If you would like to help Alessandra with public school teach-ins email her at alidemeo@gmail.com. 

 

SPOKES COUNCIL FOR WEDNESDAY

IF YOU CAN ACT AS OUTREACH SPOKE TOMORROW (11/23) PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW!!!!

Jillian will also send out a separate email about this.

 

TWITTER

If you are contributing to the owsoutreach twitter feed, please email Cara at cararosehartley@gmail.com so all tweeters can be in touch.

 

ROUNDTABLES

This has been tabled for a meeting with larger attendance. If you read the intro to roundtables and have any thoughts you’d like to share about how this might be implemented here, email Jillian at jillianbuckley@gmail.com

 

Next Meeting: Monday, November 28th at 630pm in 60 Wall. A facilitator is needed for this meeting. Please let the group know if you can facilitate.

Comments are closed.