About 10 attendees
Concensus and action items indicated with a +
- Direct action update
- Proposal – change time on Sundays, conflicts with direct action
- Overview of Christopher park meeting Saturday
- Equality pledge
- Solutions cluster presentation
- Spokes council
- High school group looking to talk to people about methods of protest
- Cable access show
- Outreach, growing the group
- Fund raising
- Group name, adding letters, communicating clearly
- We reviewed the minutes of Saturday’s meeting
- Updates and ideas
- Gift of love, little sisters of the poor, Washington between 10th and Christopher. House behind saint veronicas. Residence for men with HIV.
- Two women were in the front of st. Vincents with save St. Vincents signs. we should participate. Health care working group is working with them. They are keeping a presence there. informing people who are going to buy condos in former St. Vincents about the history there.
- Poll for things to do
+ Start a Facebook thread to discuss jan 15th action
- Series of events in different neighborhoods to culminate toward something
- Hug in, minority stress
- Discussion on use of word occupy. Can be controversial. Has become part of vernacular.
- Discussion on use gentrification and the term “gay ghetto”. Can be controversial. what does it mean in terms of messaging?
- Don’t want to get back to the idea of ghetto.
- Don’t use word ghetto, but say that queers have been put out of their own spaces. we need to sound sharp but inclusive. include allies. consider gays displaced other people.
- Ghetto gives shock value. We can’t be too politically correct or we give it to others
- Irony is gay people lead gentrification of many neighborhoods
- Each group needs a safe haven. Gentrification has removed spaces where people can go to just meet and be, without having to spend money
- Gay owned businesses effected
- Constant survival. We have gay marriage but still not respect we are deserving as humans
- Occupy is about people have been displaced and homeless because of corporate greed. We need to carve out safe space
- Anti-violence project has a list of safe spaces for time of crisis
- See about foreclosures in traditionally gay neighborhoods
Proposal for new time, because of conflict with direct action strategy meeting.
- Propose new time of 1pm-3pm on Sunday
+ Facebook poll on new time, to close on Wednesday for final decision
Solutions working group
- Bring together vision and goals, demands, open source, caucuses, etc
- First meeting today at 4.
- Looking to become official before new years
- Coordinates communication, discussion, sharing
- We have issues like redundant or split groups
+ Tif attended this meeting after our meeting
Spokes council representatives
- Spokes are Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Need to share actions at GA and spokes
+ Sign up sheet at Facebook
- Groups we should go to: spokes, direct action, solutions cluster, housing
Outreach and fund raising
- Have an indoor fund raising event
- How do we do accounting, hold funds, legal issues.
- Raising money would help with ga proposals
- Introductory event to invite queer organizations to
- List of friendly spaces we can use for events
- Canvassing, just being present in public places with visibility and materials
+ Sean talked to finance after the meeting and got some answers.
Direct action update
- Monday morning 7:30pm action, in solidarity with west coast port shutdown
- Proposal to add Ts for two-spirit and Z for zee
- The name will be Queer, then a slash, then whatever collection of letters let us be most inclusive. Look at what other groups are using.
- Ask people if they want any more letters
- Omnibus equality bill
- Pledge was read at meeting
- Asking for endorsement. Reading during actions. Get people to sign petitions.
- Submit to demands groups
Cable Access Show
- John-Frderick has a show on Manhattan Neighborhood Network, public access tv, “Rosa Melitas Footage”
- He would like to take videos of actions, interviews, and discussions for the show.
- Also proposing setting up a live discussion format show with possible guests and call in.