Minutes of 11/27 meeting

Posted by & filed under .

Minutes of OWS LGBTIQA Caucus Meeting – November 27 2011

Our meeting went from 2:30 to 4:30 with members remaining in smaller groups till 6:30.  We had about 11 participants in total and covered a lot of ground.

Action items and consensus votes are marked with a +

 

Endorse International Day to End Violience Against Sex Workers – Dec 17th

http://www.swopusa.org/dec17/

http://www.redumbrellaproject.org/events/december-17/

+ Con census to support vigil and events

 

World AIDS day – Dec 1

http://www.facebook.com/events/212623805477608/ Commemorates World AIDS Day 2011 at City Hall NYC

http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/aids/awareness_days/wad/

+ Consensus to support

 

Jenn Maskell’s transition announcement

- Jenn’s transition annoucment at work will be this Tuesday

+ We will have “Jenn’s Unveiling Party” after our next Sunday 2:00pm Dec 4th meeting.  We will head over to Killarney Rose, 127 Pearl St (near corner of Wall St.)http://www.killarneyrose.com/

 

Donations, fincance, and raid

- Our metal lock box was found by Nate at sanitation and was broken open and empty.

- Money and receipts were kept in lock box.

- We need better records for potential audit.

- Get in touch with Nate to get complete story.

- Possibility of setting up a Credit Union account later.

 

Storage and office space

- Find out from SIS if they can do storage for working groups.

+ We should get a small locked file folder box, similar to what we had before the raid, to keep there which anyone can pick up and use to create a mobile presence in the park.  It can contain signs, hands outs, and art supplies.

- There is donated office space at 50 Broadway

- After the meeting we ran into someone who explained the office space, and we visited SIS.

+ A separate update will be provided on each.

 

Homeless Caucus

- Razor is starting a homeless caucus / outreach group

- The result of an emotional speech at the GA where Razor explained the situation homeless occupiers find themselves in after the raid, and if they could continue to be part of the movement.

- Quote from 11/26 GA livetweets below.

- We returned to homeless issues later in the meeting, see below.

 

Code of conduct for respect

- There have been some incidents of use of disrespectful language and words.

- Points of debate:

- – Not as much the word as the intention?

- – It is a step backwards when you use words that others user against us?

- – We should reclaim these words?

+ Update radical language road guide to include statement on respectful use of language

- Call people out publicly when they speak disrespectfully

+ Do outreach to conflict resolution groups within OWS for support when needed.

 

The name of our group – becoming more diverse

- Many people not comfortable with “queer”

- People of color are not trusting our group

+ Outreach to LGBT People of Color group meeting – 6:00pm Dec 2nd at Sylvia Rivera – 147 W 24th St (between 7th and 6th ave), 5th Floor

+ Invite other OWS LGBT groups to an event, pot luck?

- There is a responsibility to be here to represent yourself

- Temperature check on keeping queer.  No one wants to keep it.

- Proposed names, LGBTQI, LGBTIQ, add A for LGBTIQA

+ Consensus on name LGBTIQA Caucus (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Intersexed Queer Asexual)

 

LGBT Economic Issues

+ Create and distribute flier about LGBT economic issues

+ Use caucus money to buy 2 trip metro cards, to help participation

 

Visibility

- Idea to do visibility and fund raising in gay neighborhoods

+ Occupy Sheriden Square Park for a day

 

Homeless issues with GA since raid

- Homeless are kept out of Liberty Square because they have large bags the police will not allow in.

- By not being able to enter the park, homeless cannot participate in the GA.  By not being inclusive, it destroys the validity of the GA.

- People would stand outside the park shouting that they could not get in.

- One person tried to bring this up at a GA and was shouted down.

- Quote from 11/17 GA minutes at end of minutes.

- Caucus named: Revolutionary Activist Homeless Kicking Ass

- – Razor was told RAHKA means warrior in Cherokee

- Trying to get an office

- Someone has offered to pay for space for an office and bag storage

+ Also look into bag check storage during GA at SIS or OWS Offices

- Caucus / Working group looking into providing

- – Short term shelter (churches, SROs)

- – Emergency day time shelter for the sick

- – Prepaid cell phones, for texting only

- – Metrocards

- – Comfort stations

- – Herbalist has offered services

- – ID recovery

- – Jail support

- – Sponsor a warrior program

- – Laptop access to occupiers.  Purchase cheap used laptops, loan out on a consign system.

- – Spoke at spokes council

- Proposal to be given at a near future GA

+ Set up bag holder list for GA on Facebook.

 

Attempted suicides

- Razor reported two attempted suicides by LGBT People of Color Occupiers after the raid, in the last 9 days.

- These individuals consented to have their story told.

- Concern about media image created by this information.  Determined transparency, with consent, is most important.

- Strength in honesty

- This happened due to the eviction, and the loss of shelter, support, and community that resulted.

 

Ban on Circumcision

- No forced body mutilation

+ Consensus to make this an issue the group supports

- Will support literature and education as provided by members

 

 

Relevant GA minutes

 

- 11/17 GA minutes

Interrupting Announcement: Mic check! There’s an issue with this GA. Namely, the people who were occupying this park have big bags with them. They’re not allowed in this park. Therefore, this is exclusionary to a degree. And everyone should note that. And pass the messages that you heard to those people if you bump into them in the street.

Interrupting Announcement: Mic check! I have a concern with the blockades that surround this park that prevent people from coming in. Can we refer that matter to legal?

F: To answer your question, there are members of Legal WG who are here and you can speak to them. We feel that right now since we’re finished with report backs and we’re still waiting for our brothers and sisters who are on the Brooklyn Bridge tonight now might be a good time to break out into discussion groups so you can talk amongst each other. We’re inviting you to get into small groups to check in with one another. It’s been a huge day. We’ve all experienced a lot. Share that with each other. We also have a lot to think about about what comes next. Share those ideas with each other. We’re going to break for about fifteen minutes for discussion – does that sound alright with you?

 

 

- 11/26 GA livetweets

Emergency announcement! “Guys, all of us homeless, full-time activist occupiers, haven’t occupied Zuccotti for 12 days.” #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:10 PM

Cont’d: “We don’t understand why you’ve conducted GAs that are not inclusive when this movement stated we would never do that.” #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:10 PM

Cont’d: “We’ve been on the outside, trying to get your attention, for 2 weeks. We missed a female solidarity march planned inside Zuccotti.”

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:10 PM

Cont’d: “We missed Thanksgiving dinner, because we ate on the outside. What the fuck? We want inclusiveness, or ask us to leave.” #nycga

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:11 PM

Cont’d: “We were full-time activists. We quit our jobs as working homeless, mainly people of color, queer and trans, and disabled.” #nycga

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:11 PM

Cont’d: “We want answers tonight.” #nycga #ows

 

 

 

 

ibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:26 PM

Razor: “I want to clarify that we are talking about the bags not being allowed in the park. Homeless ppl who occupied as activists…”

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:26 PM

Razor cont’d: “…cannot enter Zuccotti. That’s what I meant when I said homeless occupiers haven’t occupied Zuccotti.” #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:27 PM

Razor: “We want to be part of this family. We love you, and if you don’t want us, let us know tonight.” #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:27 PM

Razor: “The first night we reoccupied. We could have asked a new occupier to watch bags for two hours while original occupiers…”

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:28 PM

Razor cont’d: “…reoccupied and held a GA. That wasn’t done. Could have gone to Foley Square; that wasn’t done.” #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:28 PM

Stairs: “So we have a request for a volunteer to watch the bags of original occupiers so they can participate in tonight’s GA.” #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:29 PM

Sage: “Please be ready for police officers to walk up and take your bags away. Please be ready for park security to tell you can’t do this.”

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:29 PM

Stairs asks a volunteer to meet Razor outside gates right now. Julianne has volunteered! Woo. #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:30 PM

Razor also announces creation of a homeless working group to recognize activists who contribute regularly to this movement…

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:31 PM

Razor cont’d: “…and who want to see this movement succeed.” Temp check? We love it. #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:31 PM

Stairs: “Next, proposals from volunteer services, comfort, and worker’s co-op.” Invites Volunteer Services up. #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:32 PM

Sage gets on mic again, objects to “drunk person doing security for UGA.” Encourages us not to accept lack of accountability in comm. #nycga

gzollo 11/26/2011 7:33 PM

@LibertySqGA what a Freaking mess. is this the best way to run a movement?

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:34 PM

A brief kerfuffle outside barricades vis a vis homeless occupiers being hassled by cops. Cameras called for… #nycga #ows

LibertySqGA 11/26/2011 7:34 PM

OK, nothing doing. Stairs notes they skipped working group reportbacks, so we’ll do that now. #nycga #ows

Comments are closed.