Introductions (about 70 people)
Dated, put in date order:
11/27: Occupy Philly eviction announced for tonight; please drive/ride down!
11/28, 3pm: march to Baruch College about CUNY tuition hikes; meet at south end of Madison Sq Park (23rd St).
11/29, 6pm, 60 Wall: jail support training, please come!
11/30: demonstration at Obama fundraiser. Meet at sw corner of Central Park at 4pm; march begins about 5pm (subject to change pending Obama’s schedule). firstname.lastname@example.org
12/1, 4pm: march for jobs, by central labor council. See http://www.nycclc.org/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=224402
12/1: Occupy Museums doing action outside Satyagraha (Philip Glass opera) at Lincoln Ctr. Curtain is at 7:30pm. See Suzahn for more info.
12/2, 10am: event at Liberty Park around the 6th & Canal space (Tom)
12/3, starting 6pm at TKTS booth in Times Square: Occupy Broadway, 24 hours of performance in public/private space. There is a googlegroup– email@example.com
12/4, 11am: March in lower Manhattan about health access for the 99%; organized by health students (James)
12/4, 3pm: Justice in Barrio organizing event in East Harlem, location TBA; firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-561-0555.
If folks have stuff to add to a direct action calendar, send to email@example.com with the word CALENDAR in caps in the subject line.
List circulated for actions of a feminist nature
Housing working group will present to DA at tomorrow’s (11/28) meeting.
Folks have started http://freezuccottipark.wordpress.com/
Priorities generated at the meeting on 11/22/11 were read aloud– see http://www.nycga.net/groups/direct-action/docs/minutes-dawg-meeting-nov-22-2011
– inter-occupation connection
– concrete goals
– concrete plans beyond December. Timeline should be 6 months beyond elections
– moral high ground
– visual approach
– pro-active messaging
– avoiding uncoordinated actions
– expanding base by acting with communities, even if “not fun”
-building cohesive framework to “get ‘em”
– it’s not just the 1% but how the govt has collaborated
– We need to deal with what the cops do, which will perhaps intensify as we cause real challenge.
Proposal of 3 main actions: morally hold Zuccotti Park; physically reclaim foreclosed spaces; mass public actions on banks.
Themes people see:
– liberating space
– becoming more concrete
– empowering communities/expanding base
– enabling our actions to speak
– occupation as opening
– rebuilding commons
– non-violent disruption
– long term plans
– focus on marginalized groups that have been consistently working over a long time
subgroup working on strategy will group and synthesize these themes.
Jerry G gave intro about the action at the Aerospace & Defense Finance Conf, 6:30 – 10am, 4:30pm from Madison Sq Park
– Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
– 2-abreast sidewalk march to encircle Credit Suisse building
– other activities include traditional civil disobedience, “slowdown”, banner drop
– theatrical and visual as possible; arts & culture working on signs & puppets
– leaflets to be handed out to passers-by are being finalized
– jail support, medic presence, press release being worked on
– Egyptian solidarity group also targeting this event
– possible tie-ins via individual signs: London general strike; Arizona action about prisons; anniversary of Seattle
– need more video coverage (media wg)
– roles needed: ushers & Pacers, Scouts, Material Distributors (pass out signs and flyers to protesters), greeters (let people know where to go when they arrive), jail support
– Money needed: $2000. DAWG will request it at Tuesday’s GA. DAWG members should go to that GA to support. N30 subgroup will front the $$ until then. CONSENSUS REACHED.
Nelini gave intro about the action.
– being done in conjuction with NY Communities for Change and Organize for Occupation (O4O).
– In E New York, #3 subway, Pennsylvania Ave stop (at Livonia Ave)
– national day of action: Occupy in at least 12 cities will be taking back homes on that day.
– this is about publicly kicking off a campaign of reclaiming bank-owned vacant homes all over the country.
– Organizations meeting Tuesday (11/29) at 11am, PSC, 61 Broadway, 16th Fl
– Outreach: working to go thru community (OWS is mainly in solidarity)
– PR training needed in how to “step back”—these should not be white, privileged voices.
– Nelini gave brief presentation on neighborhood history & issues—in a nutshell, poor black people, with white people taking homes; predatory lending and frauds were rampant; facing Walmart; Starrett City has been subject of ACORN campaign to keep affordable.
Breakouts on D06
PR/Messaging: Tell the family’s story, primarily
Tactical comms: text loop will go on flyer. More admins are needed for the loop. This group needs to liaise with eviction defense, PR, and needs people with deep involvement.
Eviction defense: plan should be indefinite. Need training in community; leaflets; banner; supplies for occupiers. Next meeting will be announced to email list.
Action: favorite ideas were block party, with tables/themes, food, speakout; “extreme home takeover” play on home makeover; march will perhaps have feeders so as to not draw a big police presence to the neighbornood.
Budget for D06 was not discussed, and needs to be at next meeting.