- March 2012
- Meeting schedule for next week
- Group discussion: tactical communication subgroup
- Healthcare for the 99%
- Start a long-term, transparent conversation re: reoccupation
- Special discussion: Road trip
Worldwide action for MLK’s birthday: candlelit vigil at 7 pm. Proposal: Make this an OWS direct action.
Q: What does it mean that DA is endorsing this and other actions?
A: So that people see that the action has been brought to working groups and isn’t an independent thing.
Finance needs hard copy of the minutes our consensus on a point person in order to recognize that person. Are the minutes available?
Proposed declaration: Early last week we reached consensus on Jerry Goralnik being our point person for daily monetary allotment, as someone who has been with DA since early October, has bottom-lined a major event and comes to every meeting; we aren’t sure if the minutes to that earlier meeting are on NYCGA yet.
Consensus reached to approve the above declaration.
3. March 2012
We want to put out a call that on a certain day in March (when it is warmer) we will take a certain space. Ideas re: reoccupation and date for said event welcome.
– Let’s have an OWS-wide conversation about all the ideas we have for “spring revival”.
– Previously planned: On Jan. 8 there will be a DA meeting re: envisioning next steps of occupation.
There will be a small meeting after this one to talk about this.
4. Meeting schedule for next week
We will meet as scheduled.
5. Group discussion: tactical communication subgroup
There will be a meeting at the office on Wednesday at noon.
6. Healthcare for the 99%
There is a Crains NY breakfast forum planned for Wed. Jan. 11 @ the Marriott in Brooklyn re: hospitals in Brooklyn on the verge of bankruptcy.
Proposal: affinity action inside event, and separate public action outside.
Recommendation: return for a Tuesday or Thursday meeting, when we have breakouts, to discuss this issue.
– Dec. 29 is the 111th anniversary of the massacre at Wounded Knee: 5:30 pm @ Irondale (85 S. Oxford in Brooklyn, Atlantic Terminal subway station). More info to come.
– The payroll tax cut was approved today, but alongside that the Keystone Excel pipeline got pushed through in a provision. That’s as though we said, “Here’s a proposal to celebrate Christmas, with a provision to put in a pipeline!”
– Meeting @ 1 pm tomorrow re: non-camping versions of occupation. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and googlegroups.com/occupycurveball
8. Start a long-term, transparent conversation re: reoccupation
– “Pop-up communications”: we pop up throughout the city, too quickly to be evicted, do things like clean the streets in 99% shirts, camp out briefly, etc.
– Occupying is reactivating spaces that are “public” on paper for actual public use. We should move from privately-owned public spaces to purely public spaces.
– There’s an event on Jan. 1st @ noon @ Union Sq. – Solidarity march with Oakland; discussion could happen there.
This agenda item is: Let’s organize a broader conversation about various ways to occupy.
– That’s part of what the Jan. 8 meeting is for.
9. Special discussion: Road trip!
Proposal distributed for perusal and discussion.
Temperature check: taking this proposal to Spokescouncil of working groups already involved.
Temp. check is positive.
End of DA meeting.