Empowerment and Education, 11/25/2011
1) Alejandro, do you know the next foreclosure event meeting time and place?
2) Occupy DOE meeting, Sunday (2pm planning, 4pm general) 60 Wall
1) Read-ins are sponsored by E&E (reached consensus)
1) Report Backs
2) Action working group?
3) New School occupation
4) Discussion about future/space
1) Report Backs:
– Occupy Student Debt Campaign launched campaign on 11/21. Help spread word: http://occupystudentdebtcampaign.org
– Forum on Commons – putting together call for papers
– Open Forum :
- restructure to connect with direct action/student debt campaign
- provide more OFs and teach-ins with direct actions
- foreclosure event December XX – how can we help them?
- next OF meeting uncertain, probably Tues 8:30, 60 Wall
- group is getting very small, what is its future?
2) Babak on possible action working group
– now that park situation has changed, how do we stay visible?
- focus on big days (MLK day)
- connect with other movements (040)
- more open forums/discussions
- fixed locations and regular schedules
- potential spaces:
- Brooklyn Bridge, near City Hall
- Times Square
- Rockefeller Center
- Court houses, foreclosed buildings
– how do we feel about not have a fixed space (moved to agenda item)
– how to link up with other working groups?
– should we create an action working group/subcommittee? Would focus on getting media attention, making/getting space for movement, creative action
3) New School Occupation
– both spaces are closed, Kellan gallery trashed? uncertain future for Kellan gallery
– moved to non-consensus model, questions about whether they are part of Occupy movement
4) Discussion about potential actions/park situation changing/future of E&E
– Long discussion about foreclosure event, December 6 (date uncertain)
- actions @ courthouses, reclaiming foreclosed spaces
- many phases of action, they are checking out these spaces, seeing if they are livable or occupyable
- questions of legality/squatting rights, report from legal that squatters have rights in NYC (or US?) if it is reoccupation of a foreclosed space (as of now only a rumor, any confirmation here?)
- what is E&E’s role here, teach-in about foreclosure? walking tour of foreclosed or re-occupied spaces?
- Alejandro will be attending next meeting, many in the group interested in joining
– Long discussion on Spokes Council
- Report back from Chris, Spokes Council was very messy on Wednesday, racial issues very blatant, suggests we develop a workshop on race for the movement
- E&E as providing space for interactions, creating spaces for learning, discussion, developing strategies
- Are we reproducing the division of labor we see in the capitalist world?
- Babak on Spokes Council: meetings are being sabotaged, facilitators are very frustrated
- E&E could reach out to facilitators and ask how we can help
- Spokes Council is in crisis, questioning its own legitimacy. Are we stuck in meta-meetings and identity politics throughout the movement? Or democracy is exactly dealing with these issues, having patience through this kind of conflict?
- Sometimes Spokes Council does function, depends on day
– Discussion about spreading movement beyond NYC area
- we should avoid missionary style politics, other occupations are autonomous
- there is a national network/conference call, other WGs working on national unity
- how to make internal communication smoother (other WGs working on this)
– Discussion about staying visible as movement/E&E’s role
- walking tours of spaces and industries
- standard signage/well defined visual identity, to make clear it is OWS when in other spaces
- work with other institutions and groups already working on educational issues
- El Barrio event on December 4, group is not in Occupy movement, we are in solidarity but will not directly support
- develop read-ins as regular action, body-stunt, work in conjunction with Think Tank, mobile?
- develop film screenings of Inside Job, etc. reach out/work with local cinemas??
- vision of E&E:
- develop both long term and immediate project/actions
- plug into other actions, build spaces for discussion/changing social relations
- keep some kind of presence in Zuccotti