Meeting Minutes – Internet Working Group 11/6/2011

Posted by & filed under .

Meeting Minutes

Date: 11/6/2011
Location: Atrium, 60 Wall St.

Notetaker: MikeC

Reportbacks

User Experience
There are now wireframe mockups now on nycga.net.
Here is the link: http://internet.nycga.net/
We encourage more wireframes.
Margaritte, in UX, is implementing the CSS. The mockup is in a post called facelift.

FGA
The FGA project needs help with people to do interviewing and/or transcribe interviews. The interviews will be done by next Friday. There will be three interviews per occupation, for 10 occupations.

Infrastructure + general updates

  • Development / staging / production environments have been implemented.
  • Zimbra, an advanced email system.
  • Dan owns occupy.net and its use is being considered in the current domain landscape.

Wiki - wiki.occupyeverywhere.org
There was a meeting on Wednesday for the Wiki project. There are our main use case for Wikis
- Resources for groups
- For Collaborative documents projects
- For projects that span multiple areas
- For Documentation of better practices among different occupation groups

It was noted that the Outreach WG is also putting together a similar guidebook

Wikis are really great for doing research without having to know markup

Feeds

A News syndication service is in the works to curate and broadcast Feeds from different occupations

New Office Space
There will soon be office space at 50 Wall St; should have access by next week

Support
Support now has 3 people. Trying to build a very condensed backlog of key issues.

Volunteers
17 signups through the sign-up form since last week

Internet Working Group Meeting Times
It was decided that the IWG will add an additional meeting time per week
(info: Meeting will be 6pm Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, The Atrium, 60 Wall St)

There is a need for teachers to show how to use Skype: 412 Broadway at 9:00 pm.

Network Access at Liberty Plaza
Network access needs some foundational work, to be back online within the park within the week. Freedom Tower 2 will have a server for audio / video / chat. VPN is set up already with LA, Austin, San Antonio.

Mobile Applications

MikeC presented his view about the need for Mobile and a possible Adobe Flex / AIR implementation. This allows devs to write a single code-base (ActionScript / MXML) that can create native apps for both iOS (iPhone / iPad) and Android (phones / tablets) and  HTML5. This also can allow mobile access for both the WordPress (nycga.net) and Drupal (FGA) web projects.

Agenda Items

More items were on the agenda than time permitted to cover them all. The group consented to prioritize the Spokes Council discussion, and Project Management question.

Spokes Council
Drew: we need to figure out what to do for the Spokes Council meeting: Monday, Nov. 7, 7:30pm 7:00 pm unknown location Murray Bergtraum HS (411 Pearl Street)
(info: http://www.nycga.net/events/event/spokes-council-2011-11-07/)
- how are we going to represent everything?
- should we have a single spoke for Tech to represent IWG / FLO?

There was a long discussion about whether the IWG should only going to have one voice on the Spokes Council, or more.

Drew: we do need to have
1) A charter – we already have draft charter online (info: http://www.nycga.net/groups/tech/docs/internet-working-group-charter-draft)
2) A spoke
3) Some ideas to discuss

Proposal: have a single “Tech Operations Group” that include both the IWG and Open Source groups.
Decisions: 1) We will attend first Spokes Council meeting as Tech Operations Group; 2) Drew will act as spoke
(info: Drew will be leaving on a bus tour soon, so different spoke will need to be agreed upon and much knowledge will need to be “downloaded”)

Occupation in Liberty Plaza
Evan: we are working to get an internet tent on the site. He was at GA to present an emergency message, and said that only 4 people said they were living on site.

Evan thinks that there is an impending crisis for OWS at Liberty Plaza, and that it is important for the Internet project to directly address the needs of the people in the park, rather than a more general information tool that is now being developed.

Project Management
RonS: expressed a need for a rotating Project Management on nycga.net
Drew suggested that Ron take on role of PM for nycga.net
(Patricia’s note: not sure if Ron agreed to take this on or if group consented)

Ron expressed concern that Drupal developers were apparently going to take over the nycga.net site from the WordPress developers.
Lippe said that he is a Drupal developer, but has been working to support the WordPress site.

Lippe: we need to have a lot more devs if we are going to have enough people to work with a volunteer system

Time ran out, some people met in Break-out Sessions: UX, Developers, etc.
(Patricia’s note: note sure if all agenda items were covered)

3 Responses to “Meeting Minutes – Internet Working Group 11/6/2011”

  1. MikeC

    I was the note taker at last nights meeting, and I posted the above minutes earlier this morning, and then JakeDeg moved them here to the Docs section (thanks Jake!)

    I want to add something to the notes that I originally omitted. I also have added it above to the full notes doc, but I want to emphasize that point here as a comment, because I think that the original really missed the main point that Evan was trying to make. (Also, if I got Evan’s name wrong, please correct it.)

    Here is the corrected notes, which now includes the point that Evan thinks about the “impending crisis” and that the IWG and its projects need to more directly address the needs of the people actually living in the park, most of whom have no internet access.:

    “Evan: we are working to get an internet tent on the site. He was at GA to present an emergency message, and said that only 4 people said they were living on site.

    Evan thinks that there is an impending crisis for OWS at Libery Park, and that it is important for the Internet project to directly address the needs of the people in the park, rather than a more general information tool that is now being developed.”

    As I said in the other section about Mobile, I think that Mobile is probably the best way to reach many / most of the people living in the park. I have been to several GAs and the lack of internet access has come up before in the GAs. I think this is a major point that the IWG needs to really focus on immediately, which I think is the message that Evan was stating about the crisis.

  2. drew

    To sum up, I will be the spoke tonight for one large group. We can create new charters and new groups as needed. See everyone there!