02.01.12 TechOps notes @ 60 Wall
- Used for what
- Meetup style events
- Laptops in 50 Broadway office
- DA tools / action tools
- Donate your account
- Need to attend spokes
- Need for Occupy.org SSL cert
- Maps.occupy.net maps switched to openstreetmaps
- Catalog Page: http://wiki.occupy.net/wiki/Server_Catalog
- Have done some tuning
- Horizontal load balancing, coming up!
- Setting up RAID
- Considering DAM solutions for video project
- Creating/ed standardized favicons for occupy.net services
- Jobberboard (jobberbase.com) set for alpha on occupy.net
- Last training was real small – 2 people, more blogs coming up as result of previous trainings.
- May First has offered free (temporary?) VPS hosting for CiviCRM install.
- Jaime (https://mayfirst.org/jamie-mcclelland) & Joseph (http://palantetech.com/about) to help get it set up.
- Content teams forming around occupywallstreet.net, occupy.com, CiviCRM newsletters
- Continuing work on harmonized groupings: http://wiki.occupy.net/wiki/Harmonized_groupings
- Salvage update: 12 computers, dozen phones, battery backups, 3 printers in storage.
- Bond units are in, Devin+Drew plan on filming Kitchen WG.
- Dev meetings Thurs @ 4, see http://www.nycga.net/events/event/occupywallstreet-net-development-meeting-5/
- Established need to create better-than-wikipedia docs to feed intro trainings, screencasts
- Wiki meetings to take place soon… date/time TBD
- Parts received, being assembled, OS by end of week, hopefully in datacenter by end of next week
- Planning on Ubuntu server
- Disaster Recovery
- End goal: cloud based server management for fail-over & virtualization
- Possible short term synching solutions using box.net, or asking May First about dumping data
- DAM: Considering, Resourcespace notreDAM.
- Is a DAM actually best solution. Immediate need is minimal useful meta-data for footage and minutes.
Meetup style events to hold intro level classes, trainings.
Reasons why this wouldn’t happen: No time, no people, no lesson plans, no outreach, no space Possible solutions:
- No time/people: Activities don’t need to run by TechOps members with existing obligations
- Lesson plans: Events would be valuable even if they’re essentially walk-throughs of existing guides (https://security.ngoinabox.org/en/howtobooklet)
- Space: NYPL library (Small room request form: http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/65/node/58071), Eyebeam, Hackerspaces, etc.
Yet, general feeling that this is not immediately actionable.
- Stencil them and distribute to responsible WGs?
- Relocate (lock-down) to Charlottes place?
Reportbacks from Devin/Lippe on previous efforts to connect with DA on tool use, which didn’t really result in much. General feeling that interested parties should find someone to work with in creating guide docs or suggestions that can be adopted if a group wants to.
Ready since 3 three weeks, widget needs promotion