Meeting Minutes – Safer Spaces – 02.19.12

Posted by & filed under .

People agreed to:

(CA)

-Fanya will post it on Safer Spaces page, and contact facilitation

-Winter will reach out to POC, Jose with medics

-Billy will reach out to Queering OWS, Direct Action

-Mirza will contact Anti-Racist Allies

-Angela will email facilitation and WOW, education empowerment

-Nikki will reach out to other community members

-Billy, Winter, Angela, Nikki going to spokes

-angela to report back to grievance folx about ss opinions re: grivances

- Billy to share Safer Spaces thoughts at DA meeting on Friday (3pm, 60 Wall St)

-winter will make a doodle, respond by Thursday (sustainability talk)

 

**mtg next week=3-5pm at Tompkins for Town Square

 

Marie, Fanya, Winter, Nikki, Mirza, Billy, Max, Jack, Angela, Zach, Emma, Mandar, Josh, Sean, Gabriel, Leah, Sage joined (about 5 other onlookers, didn’t announce names)

 

Community Agreement

Grievance Process

March 17 Reoccupation

Sustainability talk planning

Town Square 2/26

Community Discussion 2/25

 

 

Community Agreement

-post it on nycga.net Fanya will post it on Safer Spaces page, and contact facilitation

-we need to get people to come

-Winter will reach out to POC, Jose with medics

-Billy will reach out to Queering OWS, Direct Action

-Mirza will contact Anti-Racist Allies

-Angela will email facilitation and WOW, education empowerment

-Nikki will reach out to other community members

-Billy, Winter, Angela, Nikki going to spokes

-if it doesn’t pass, we’ll pass it off to another working group

-likely SC will be at Hoyt/Schermerhorn space

 

Grievance Process, Angela debrief

-people there were committed, though small group

-next steps to talk to groups like AntiRA, POC, SS, WOW, facilitation, Queering OWS to create a critical mass of people who have a stake in grievance process

-teach-ins on restorative and transformative justice, maybe people from SS would like to be part of coordinating on that

-teach-ins and workshops on the legacy of violence and oppression (A thinks that’s the correct language, present and historical interpersonal oppression and violence)

-workshop the community agreement with working groups so that people start to own it and talk about it, become invested in it

-mediators continuing doing active listening workshops

-coordinate a listening lab, people who have done listening workshops come together to talk about experience of listening and being heard

-do an active listening training at GA and SC, but maybe too long for that, so no good idea

-anti-violence and anti-oppression, reach out to elders and see how they deal with it

-active listening for facilitation—christina asked that we wait a few weeks for that

-go back to WGs and caucuses

-maybe give up talking about process at open space, but something related to it

-what would a grievance process look like?—designated listeners that would be trained in listening or transformative justice strategies that would be first line of contact when someone experiences harm—listening, mediation, circle, that person to leave, the harming person to do a training

-rusa is doing a group on what it means to be in solidarity as a member of 99%, OWS movement

-Friday is open space on 23rd St.

-focus on active listening because people aren’t hearing each other

-how to get on grievance process list:

ows-grievances+subscribe@googlegroups.com

-make a team of listeners, prioritizing marginalized voices first

-should have a large group trained from various caucuses and WGs

-temperature checker is useful, have a certain level of stability and calm in order to have successful meeting

-if facilitation not feeling respected, facilitators don’t have to try to force a GA

-angela to report back to grievance folx about ss opinions re: grievances

 

March 17—6 month anniversary

-meeting Friday at 3pm

-what role does Safer Spaces want to play bearing in mind that it’s a highly arrestable action

-not in Zuccotti

-more people that are there, less arrestable it is

-Billy suggests that Safer Spaces should be there with copies of Community Agreement

-safer spaces be there to facilitate conversations as a community

-Sean suggests we have conversations about Community agreement starting March 1

-safer spaces supporting people those who are arrested, police violence

-having calm safer spaces people and also non-arrestable

- Safer Spaces to come up with ways that the group can provide support/or ways that we don’t feel we can by Friday

- Billy to share Safer Spaces thoughts at DA meeting on Friday (3pm, 60 Wall St)

 

Occupy Town Square 2/26 1-7pm

Open meeting 3-5pm, hopefully Celebrating Passage of Community Agreement

 

2/25 Community Meeting

-tabled until we know more

 

Sustainability talk

-winter will make a doodle, respond by Thursday

Comments are closed.