We the people of the Moscow and New York Assemblies acknowledge that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members. We are at a critical moment in history.
There is a rising tide of military aggression and wars supported by increasingly lethal technologies. There are deaths and maimings of civilians across the globe.
Rampant military spending, over 1.5 trillion dollars a year, continues despite the global economic crisis and increasing poverty. In the global trade in arms, manufacturers make hundreds of billions of dollars a year, and Russia and the United States supply more than half of major weapons.
We are aware of the history of our two countries. The nuclear arms race was led by the United States, a country that has used nuclear weapons on civilian populations on two occasions (Hiroshima and Nagasaki). The Cold War arms race between the United States and Russia deprived our peoples of our wealth.
It has been more than 20 years since the end of the Cold War yet our countries, Russia and the United States, still possess 95% of the more than 20,000 nuclear weapons on the planet. Nearly 2,000 of the Russian/US warheads are ready for launch within minutes.
Thousands of nuclear-armed missiles and millions of guns do not defend ordinary people from poverty and do not help them feed themselves.
Nuclear weapons do not bring security – they have not prevented major wars and do nothing to enhance human security.
Nuclear power – the evil twin of nuclear weapons – continues to pose a threat to life and earth. Nuclear accidents have led to nuclear disasters, devastation of unimaginable scale. Chernobyl, and now Fukushima, has given us the resolve to say “No to nuclear!”
We envision a world without nuclear weapons, an end to the arms race and an end to war. We will not stop our public assemblies, we will not go home, we will not rest until the world and the power is restored to the people.
We put forth the following list of concrete measures to achieve nuclear abolition and disarmament:
• Removal of US and Russian nuclear weapons from launch-ready status.
• Invitation to all nations to join in negotiations for an irreversible, transparent, and non-discriminatory treaty to abolish nuclear weapons.
• Closure of all nuclear test sites, including those in Nevada and Novaya Zemlya.
• An end to the development of missiles and space weapons and the beginning of negotiations on a missile/space ban treaty.
• An end to the spread of nuclear technology around the planet. Shutdown of existing nuclear power plants to avoid future Chernobyls and Fukushimas.
• An end to the drone programs.
• Transparent reduction of conventional weapons, codified by agreements.
• An end to using the intellectual treasure of our scientists to create lethal weapons of war.
• Dismantlement of NATO and other bloc military alliances.*
We don’t need missiles, we need housing.
We don’t need bombs, we need hospitals.
We don’t need guns, we need schools and text books.
We don’t need bullets, we need food.
We need to live in peace and security. We need a world in which ordinary people are not victims of political games. We need a world where we can love one another, love our children, and be friends with our neighbors, without having to fear for our lives and our planet.
*This list is non-inclusive.