OWS Trade Justice
Direct Action Breakout Minutes
October 20, 2011
Adam summarized TradeJustice New York Metro.
- 3 trade agreements – Panama, Colombia, South Korea
- opposed by people on the left and right, but a good to corporations.
Korea- producing cheap products in sweatshops that they undersell – makes outsourcing cheaper
Plan of Action
- we should call Obama and tell him to veto, event though he won’t. It will be useful for him to her from us.
- Congress is trying to bury these agreements – we have have to stop that burial and make sure voters know that Congress passed this agreement
1) Next week – Mon/Tues.
Who voted for free trade agreements?
Who voted against the free trade agreements?
-visiting the Democratic elected officials who voted for the trade agreement
- Maloney – showing up with moving boxes, pink slips, implements of being fined
- Rangel – 99% fired him
- Crowley – Occupy Jackson Heights local park
- Day of the Dead action against Michael Grimm – march to the Staten Island Ferry – dressed as Grim Reapers -
- Senator Gillibrand and Schumer offices are close & right across from each other – but less winnable
- Alex – best plan of action might be for each person to research and target the individuals. A lot of smaller actions are more difficult for the police to regulate.
- Bring in groups that represent immigrant rights.
- at least one action next week and possibly doing more on subsequent weeks
- keep doing actions over the next year so the issues stays fresh in the minds of voters
- Alex – assign specific targets based on location and interests
- Ryan – Rangel would be a good target because he is already in the media and he is our self-proclaimed spokesperson
- Adam – Occupy Harlem & police brutality march tomorrow might be good opportunities to get to Rangel
Colin – focusing on one in the next week and expanding from there
Adam – outreach for each target, but focusing on one target for the next week
- having one event to use as a focus point to get awareness out
- quarter sheets about Rangel
- Rangel – outreach tonight & tomorrow and Monday/Tuesday of next week