Logistics Meeting at 60 Wall 12/8/11
Minutes taker: Hannah
Summary of the Flying Seminar @ New School:
- Bill Zimmerman, civil rights activist.
- Discussion about contemporary politics and activism
- Video available on Flying Seminar website
- People wanting to be on logistics list who aren’t. Lots of people aren’t shared on the Google doc. Also Google doc about mobile site. Emily volunteering to test.
Finance/Mobile Think Tank
- Estimated costs = 2,048.81 includes recording devices, dry erase board, memory cards, promotional materials
- OccupyDesign (Courtney)
- Evan to follow up with someone who offered free fliers
- Michael could pay for recording stuff***** (NYU archives)
- How to apply through finance; go to facilitation to get in on the agenda for GA
- Go to facilitation 24hours before we want to
- Go to facilitation to propose tomorrow/Friday; who? Hannah to write.
- x to present at Saturday GA (?)
- Richard on the urgency of finance needs (batteries, etc.)
- Daily budget – photocopying; batteries;
- Google doc on specific sites for mobile think tank
- Subcommittee to deal with mobile kits = Emily
- Evan – people are starting to enjoy TT as a place to get information. (passing out literature or fliers) How to answer people’s questions about things
- Are there greeters? There HAVE to be in mobile think tank. Needs to be someone to handle side conversations.
- We need to bring fliers from info (Stan)
- Tony @ WBAI to advertise – 99.5 (510) 508-2566 Tony Bates; email@example.com
- When to start mobile think tank? After we get the kit.
- Storage for the kits
- bag into which board; easel; marker; recorder will fit. Making kit mobile.***
- Another poll on logistics meeting times. Courtney?
- Compiling agenda items in one place online.
- Richard talks about terrible experience at Spokes Council.
- The relevance of think tank toward modeling organization.
- Getting Cathy involved more in organization.
- How can we better differentiate our roles?
- Our OWS Think Tank gmail is not getting read. We need Email readers – writing an automatic response to the Think Tank email address
Archives – Michael
- 30 gigs downloaded onto a server. A couple students figuring out what we have.
- 2 things: summaries and technical analysis
- Group of 4 from media preservation department, to assess from a technical point of view, what needs to be done. To start second week in new year
- “Feed me as much as you got!”
- If recording is done on other devices, put data on memory stick, or email files.
- Michael to bring a bunch of memory sticks next week. Then download on NYU server.
- The urgency of finance.
Question of direct response in Think Tank.
- Seems to be dependent on the facilitator. If facilitator chooses to use it, it’s up to the facilitator to control the conversation.
- Limit to three direct responses; and then for the original speaker to respond
- It’s a balancing act; there’s no formula
- As long as you’re clear as a facilitator… if it’s transparent it will usually work
- Accepting direct responses until they get out of control
- Courtney to make a note in the hand signal guide about direct response
- Allow the conversation to move away from the initial subject if need be; proceed with a temperature check;
- The difficulty in mobile think tank of allowing flexibility in the topic; how to respond to the “what the hell do you all want?” interjection. People over process. But how to deal with incivility
- How to coordinate with outreach?
- How to coordinate with visions and goals?
- wikiPage for Pace University 12/18 (also talk to tech opps); should we get a room at Pace for 12/18? Stan
- Conflicting events on 12/18 – Movement Building Day and an event at Pace (Training – Direct Action; Facilitation; Interoccupation Unconference)
- Looks like they’re actually the same thing – 2-8pm @ Pace.
The Winter Schedule
- With Mobile Think Tank, should we change schedule?
- 2 days mobile; 5 days park
- @ 37 degrees, it’s too cold to sit around. The rain, etc.
- Don’t like having it in 60 Wall. Only get Occupy people
- 2 sessions per day vs. 3
- Should we take regular shifts? And then if I can’t come on my regular shift I get someone else to cover it.
- 1 session per day around lower Manhattan; 1 session mobile
- We need new facilitators – outreach
- Someone to make an announcement at Friday’s Spokes Council. Who?
- Someone needs to be the point person for scheduling; that’s the person to direct new potential facilitators to that person. NINA
Exporting/Global Think Tank
- Are we ready to email out our documents?
- InterOcc as a place to email
- Who’s going to work on this?
- Tim to talk to his mom about this
Mobile Working Group – bus from NY to Florida
firstname.lastname@example.org for info; 11am 60 Wall
Goldman Sachs action on Monday – giant squid day**** 7:30 @ cube and at City Hall Park. Nina to email us about this action
Fundraising & Funding
- The issue of autonomous fundraising
- Thinking about taking $$ from the general fund vs.
- Applying for a grant
- Richard strongly in favor of autonomous funding; how to set up a funding mechanism
- Should we do a kickstarter? Who’s been filming us?
- A fundraising working group getting started
- How to move forward with this? Hannah
- Funding for transcription
- Make the fundraising transparent?