Communications Cluster Proposal (Working Doc)
OWS Group Update Proposal
The Communications Cluster formed in response to the initial Spokes Council draft proposals, which included clustering. We currently include Info, Outreach, Tech, OWS En Español, Movement Building, Media, Press and Organization, and our open to other groups participation. We do not have a formal mission, but are focused on improving communication within the OWS community. Based on a number of concerns about the “Group” designation, we are proposing a Group Project Update process through the General Assembly on Saturday, December 3.
There are growing concerns about how OWS can improve the effectiveness of our existing Group model. These concerns include the following:
- Many working groups listed on the NYCGA.net website lack clarity about their function and/or provide no information about what they do or how one can participate in their work;
- Many working groups are either non-functioning or not actually groups yet they maintain the same status as active and participating working groups;
- Projects – of a single or multiple working group – are emerging as one of the means by which OWS work gets done;
- Many working group projects are redundant in part due to a lack of communcation and transparency; there is no simple way to find out if a project idea has people working on it; collaboration between working groups and projects is very difficult; difficult for working groups who want to coordinate projects OWS wide to get the word out.
- Barrier to entry/inaccessability for newbies to OWS due to the lack of clarity what the OWS activities are. In tandem is a general need of more people involved in OWS WG & Projects.
Every OWS Group works through consensus to submit the following to the Commnications Cluster for compiling and distribution (via NYCGA.net and other means):
- A mission statement, working group objective and contact information for the group.
- Brief History of Work-to-Date, successes and lessons learned.
- Day(s) and location(s) of their public meetings
- Current project list with the following for each project (if you don’t organize around projects, provide information about what your group is working on, including the following information):
- Objective & Present Development Status
- 1-3 Point People for each project (A point person’s role is to help coordinate volunteers in projects and to make sure project is moving forward. Point People are not decision makers)
- Contact email to be made public, preferably @nycga.net to protect personal email identities.
- What other Groups are presently collaborating on the project? How?
- What other Groups would you like to collaborate on the project? How?
- Along with this submission, each Group submits signatures or a printout of an email chain “signing off” on the project.
Roles and Process
- The Communication Cluster will provide on and offline methods for completing this Group Review Process
- The Communication Cluster role is to process and synthesize submissions so that they can be published publically on NYCGA.net for the OWS community;
- The Communication Cluster will provide assistance to groups needing help with this review process.
- The Communications Cluster will not judge and/or censor any group or group project. However, if working groups do not respond to this project review within 7 days of the projects initiation, we request the authority to hide them on the NYCGA.net website until they provide the information needed for this update.
- The finalized group updates will be made available on the NYCGA.net info and group pages.
Other Consideration and Next Steps
- Group definitions and expectations
- Maintaing up-to-date information on Group and Projects.
The Communications Cluster
Occupy Wall Street