1/29/2012 – Queer/LGBTIQA2Z Caucus Minutes
– Tif Reports back from DC trip
– Feb 4th HRC action
– On-line forum guidelines
– Cecee McDonald
– OWS. Wall St. and Oakland, Trans and Homophobia in OWS
– Gay Squat
– How are they letting down the community? Where is the money going?
– HRC’s idea of equality only addresses privilege people
– We need to research and all know what we are talking about
– Reasons we are here:
– Homeless shelters closing. Beds for homeless youth went from about 200 to 100.
– Dropping trans equality from their agenda
– Board diversity
– No public process
– No transparency
– Not pushing for full equality
– Usurping local organizing
– The media is not aware of all of this
– Razor is going with the message “disband HRC”
– Talking points about Goldman
– Major donor
– NY LGBT film makers group coming
– Brandon reaching out to media group and media
– Street theater preview event.
– anti-fashion show
– Large not equals sign
What we want:
– The pledge for full equality
– Open process
– In bed with Goldman, 1% that is causing harm
– Address the harm inequality causes
– Focus on the 99%
“Their idea of equality is being able to join the country club”
“Corporations can have a place at the table, but they shouldn’t get to run the table”
On line forum
– Do we need guidelines
– Put them on the group description page, repost periodically.
– Prefer one on one engagement on contentious issues
+ Craig will write up guidelines
– There are homeless queer and trans people who do not feel comfortable coming to out meetings and we need to fix this.
– Suggestion for outside mediation for meetings
? Make a flier inviting homeless queer and trans to an event to meet and talk
The meeting remained on this issue for the remainder.