Design Meeting, Sunday October 9th
– Emily: enjoys working on logos, has similar day job
– Adam: into type
– Jo: artist in Philadelphia
– Josh MacPhee: signs & art of cultural movements (book)
– Josh Collins
– Gregg: graphic & web; would like to organize materials, connect to media spaces, etc.; distribution channel solution, archive; involved with WSJ
– Steve: book store in Staten Island, B+W zerox, web
– Elizabeth: from outreach
– groups requesting info should have their copy fairly finalized before it comes to design
– no adding/changing copy?
– integrated copy/design if truly horizontal?
– should develop our own statement for people asking for design
– no doubling of text
– change some text that is offensive
– one person editor of info, etc?
– one per project
Flow Chart Conversation
– 3rd one down, opinionated language: needs to go through GA first
– must remain conscious of if the statement isn’t speaking for everyone
– no translation yet as part of our protocol
– as of now project is done by design then is sent to outreach for printing
Crabgrass = no go
– buggy, problems
Buddypress = yes
– wordpress set of plug-ins
– post requests, comment loop, status
– need to see if each thread can have a status
– general agreement that buddypress sounds good
In the Meantime (until Buddypress is up and running)
– designated people point for assignment, go from idea to completion
– project manager role that rotates by the week
– phone convo to train the next one?
– no design that week
– schedule for who is PM each week
– on the NYCGA site there are emails for the other working groups
– rotate all roles? up to project manager to find each?
– email for submissions for now, point people work via google group
– one email thread per assignment
– job status sheet
– spreadsheet w/ date, working group, designer, editor, PM, etc.
– dropbox still in the running
– place for posting stuff and could be a place the design work too
– need an image dump/raw materials site for design
– fonts and imagines
– narrow down the amount of visuals, choices, and fonts
– must be careful to not get too branded-looking
– design standards
– the problem with the young folks
– mentor program?
– more likely just steer them away to other groups, broader arts & culture group if they are bad
– eventually the different boroughs will have GAs, and by then the standards will probably be lower so the youngins can help out too
– advertise that people who want to join must know the design programs
– one email for applicants?
– one email for submissions? then PM consolidates requests and sends them to those assigned?
– there is a translation committee
– full Spanish capability
– NYCGA site has the translation comm’s contact info
– need to have a systematic inclusion of translation into the design process
– not actually affiliated with the GA
– Adam has experience with newspapers
End of workflow: Printing & Finance
– list of printers willing to help, outreach has and will share this list
– first thing when something needs printing is they ask those people
– if no one can do it, they go to staples and then get reimbursed by the GA
– need to find list of local (non-chain like Staples) printers that could be used
– Nadine is going to compile a list and keep track of price comparisons (the test will be 10,000 double-sided, B&W)
– are there any union printers that we could collaborate with? if so, would they do it for free?
– design may be able to help outreach with their printer expertise
– cheaper papers to use
– off-set vs. photocopying
– color paper?
Finance Meeting Report
– as of now, working groups can get $100 cash from the GA to do something (must be back in three hours with a receipt or you won’t be given money again)
– printing budget = $3,000
– working toward system where each working group has a budget
Materials – Press (map, etc.)
– redesign of long-term materials
– NYCGA.cc = official site
– occupywallst.org = affiliated
– justseeds.org/blog = artist co-op with images, can grab from
– occupenial group w/ art stuff… website point = firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission Request Overview (it is rumored that it may be made into beautiful flow chart by Emily in the near future):
– project manager gets request (rotating)
– PM finds designer and copy person
– after, revision by that small group (designer and copy person)
– confirmation of info w/person contacts (this step’s location wasn’t articulated, so I’ll put it here)
– then to the group at large for any comments, revision
– then PM oversees the printing, and makes sure it gets to the internet group on the website (especially longer-term stuff)
Project Manager List:
– this week: Adam
– next week: Juda
Need to make a set structure for how to get design requests and what is expected of working groups when they’re requesting stuff
– only fielding requests from working groups, not individuals
– design request guidelines: finalized copy, confirmed dates and times, less is more, size of print (1/4 page is usually preferred)
– information sheet to the Info table? Have it sent out to the working groups via email as well?
Push NYCGA site (NYCGA.cc) more because it’s the official one
**Weekly meetings will be held Sundays @ 1pm. The group will meet under the red sculpture thing at Broadway & Cedar**