Design Meeting, Sunday October 9th
- Emily: enjoys working on logos, has similar day job
- Adam: into type
- Jo: artist in Philadelphia
- Josh MacPhee: signs & art of cultural movements (book)
- Josh Collins
- Gregg: graphic & web; would like to organize materials, connect to media spaces, etc.; distribution channel solution, archive; involved with WSJ
- Steve: book store in Staten Island, B+W zerox, web
- Elizabeth: from outreach
- groups requesting info should have their copy fairly finalized before it comes to design
- no adding/changing copy?
- integrated copy/design if truly horizontal?
- should develop our own statement for people asking for design
- no doubling of text
- change some text that is offensive
- one person editor of info, etc?
- one per project
Flow Chart Conversation
- 3rd one down, opinionated language: needs to go through GA first
- must remain conscious of if the statement isn’t speaking for everyone
- no translation yet as part of our protocol
- as of now project is done by design then is sent to outreach for printing
Crabgrass = no go
- buggy, problems
Buddypress = yes
- wordpress set of plug-ins
- post requests, comment loop, status
- need to see if each thread can have a status
- general agreement that buddypress sounds good
In the Meantime (until Buddypress is up and running)
- designated people point for assignment, go from idea to completion
- project manager role that rotates by the week
- phone convo to train the next one?
- no design that week
- schedule for who is PM each week
- on the NYCGA site there are emails for the other working groups
- rotate all roles? up to project manager to find each?
- email for submissions for now, point people work via google group
- one email thread per assignment
- job status sheet
- spreadsheet w/ date, working group, designer, editor, PM, etc.
- dropbox still in the running
- place for posting stuff and could be a place the design work too
- need an image dump/raw materials site for design
- fonts and imagines
- narrow down the amount of visuals, choices, and fonts
- must be careful to not get too branded-looking
- design standards
- the problem with the young folks
- mentor program?
- more likely just steer them away to other groups, broader arts & culture group if they are bad
- eventually the different boroughs will have GAs, and by then the standards will probably be lower so the youngins can help out too
- advertise that people who want to join must know the design programs
- one email for applicants?
- one email for submissions? then PM consolidates requests and sends them to those assigned?
- there is a translation committee
- full Spanish capability
- NYCGA site has the translation comm’s contact info
- need to have a systematic inclusion of translation into the design process
- not actually affiliated with the GA
- Adam has experience with newspapers
End of workflow: Printing & Finance
- list of printers willing to help, outreach has and will share this list
- first thing when something needs printing is they ask those people
- if no one can do it, they go to staples and then get reimbursed by the GA
- need to find list of local (non-chain like Staples) printers that could be used
- Nadine is going to compile a list and keep track of price comparisons (the test will be 10,000 double-sided, B&W)
- are there any union printers that we could collaborate with? if so, would they do it for free?
- design may be able to help outreach with their printer expertise
- cheaper papers to use
- off-set vs. photocopying
- color paper?
Finance Meeting Report
- as of now, working groups can get $100 cash from the GA to do something (must be back in three hours with a receipt or you won’t be given money again)
- printing budget = $3,000
- working toward system where each working group has a budget
Materials – Press (map, etc.)
- redesign of long-term materials
- NYCGA.cc = official site
- occupywallst.org = affiliated
- justseeds.org/blog = artist co-op with images, can grab from
- occupenial group w/ art stuff… website point = email@example.com
Submission Request Overview (it is rumored that it may be made into beautiful flow chart by Emily in the near future):
- project manager gets request (rotating)
- PM finds designer and copy person
- after, revision by that small group (designer and copy person)
- confirmation of info w/person contacts (this step’s location wasn’t articulated, so I’ll put it here)
- then to the group at large for any comments, revision
- then PM oversees the printing, and makes sure it gets to the internet group on the website (especially longer-term stuff)
Project Manager List:
- this week: Adam
- next week: Juda
Need to make a set structure for how to get design requests and what is expected of working groups when they’re requesting stuff
- only fielding requests from working groups, not individuals
- design request guidelines: finalized copy, confirmed dates and times, less is more, size of print (1/4 page is usually preferred)
- information sheet to the Info table? Have it sent out to the working groups via email as well?
Push NYCGA site (NYCGA.cc) more because it’s the official one
**Weekly meetings will be held Sundays @ 1pm. The group will meet under the red sculpture thing at Broadway & Cedar**