Date(s) - 01/12/2013
9:00 am - 11:00 am
Category(ies) No Categories
Congress has had months to pass aid for Hurricane Sandy-affected communities such as Island Park. There is no time for more excuses or delays. Join us in asking for Congress to pass the $51 billion aid package NOW! Also, we need our brightest and best minds to develop plans for the effective use of aid dollars in our community. If you want to make sure federal disaster assistance is utilized in the most effective manner possible, come make your voice heard!
In the long run, once the day of action passes, “Walk a Mile in Our Shoes” will lead to a program of “Walk a Mile Ambassadors” from each of the Sandy-affected areas. These volunteers have offered to guide future visits by leaders from government, volunteer agencies or businesses who wish to see for themselves the damage that Sandy wrought, and to understand how best to direct aid where it is needed most. Volunteer recruitment will occur at each community walk.
To learn more about the “Walk a Mile in Our Shoes” Sandy Recovery Community Events, see: https://www.facebook.com/SandyWalkAMile.
Currently, events are planned for eight communities throughout New York and New Jersey. All except Coney Island will be held Saturday January 12, 2013, starting at 9 am. The Coney Island event will be held on Sunday January 13, at 1:30 pm. Event organizers are interested in hearing from other Sandy-affected communities to coordinate similar efforts in the future.
New York City
- Rockaway Beach – https://www.facebook.com/events/457535137639724/
- Coney Island – on Sunday 1/13 @ 1:30 pm – https://www.facebook.com/events/520519791312197/
- Gerritsen Beach – https://www.facebook.com/events/146414908844279/
- Staten Island – https://www.facebook.com/events/432746886798813/
- Keansburg/Union Beach – https://www.facebook.com/events/408102472604441
- Seaside – https://www.facebook.com/events/509710529069770
- Brigantine – https://www.facebook.com/events/471259782920873/
- Michael Sciaraffo
- Peter Corless