Date(s) - 05/15/2014
5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
McDonald's @42 Street (Times Square)
220 W. 42nd Street
New York City
42nd Street between 7th and 8th Avenue
On May 15 The Low Wage Worker Struggle is Going Global
A Call For Solidarity With The Global Fast Food Workers Strike
On May 15, fast food workers across the world – in more than 150 U.S. cities, and 33 countries – will hold the first and largest strike/protest for a living wage for $15 and the right to organize in history
This affects all of us! Whether you have a job or are jobless; whether you are a student or retired person; a member of a union or have no union. The majority of working people in this country make less than $15 an hour which means that thousands upon thousands of workers live either in poverty or close to the edge – while the corporate elites, the 1% are reporting billions in profits.
These courageous fast food workers who are stepping up and conducting this strike are fighting not just for themselves but for all of us. They need and deserve our support. If they win, we all win.
What can you do?
- Join the strikes and protests where ever they are being held
- Hold a solidarity protest at a McDonalds restaurant (Or a Burger King, or Wendy’s restaurant)
- Make signs that say things like ”We support fast food workers” “$15 and a union”
- Organize a 1 day boycott of a McDonalds
- Pledge not to buy fast food on May 15 and tell your family, co-workers and fellow students why
- Set up an information table about the struggle to raise wages and support low wage workers on a busy corner
- Wear a red ribbon/$15 NOW to support the strike on May 15th