Date(s) - 10/16/2012 - 10/26/2012
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Debt binds the 99%, though it binds some more tightly than others. This educational series, organized by Occupy University, aims to challenge the idea that debt is primarily about personal responsibility and start a conversation about debt as a structural problem of social justice. Who profits when people go into debt that is unpayable? Who is responsible for this debt, why is it so rampant and where did it come from? How do we connect debt with what we want and why we want it? The series will include general discussions on: debt resistance, race and debt, student debt, municipal debt, the art of debt and more. Encounters will happen as a part of one of the following:
- Debt Discussion Series: Panels, speakers, teach-ins, and reading groups focused on various aspects of debt.
- The Art of Debt: Ways to visualize debt as a problem of social justice.
- Debt Clinic: Roaming dialogue with individuals and groups about particular debt problems and tactics.
- Other OccU encounters (like Horizontal Pedagogy and Picture Story Symposium) will continue throughout the fall according to their schedules.
Occupy University Debt Series
- Wed. Oct 17, 2012 – 7:00 PM – A Brief History of Debt Resistance with George Cafentzis
- Thu. Oct 18, 2012 – 7:00 PM – Visualizing Debt with Nick Mirzoeff
- Fri. Oct 19, 2012 – 7:00 PM – The Aesthetics of Debt Resistance–Yates McKee
- Sat. Oct 20, 2012 – 7:00 PM – On Municipal Debt with Ann Larson
- Tues. Oct 23, 2012 – 7:00 PM – Debt and our Climate–NICK MIRZOEFF
- Thu. Oct 25, 2012 – 7:00 PM – Jubilee and $49,983 – THOMAS GOKEY
- Fri. Oct 26, 2012 – 7:00 PM – Debt, Desire, and Denial – WINTER, NICOLE HALA, PAM BROWN