Date(s) - 03/23/2013
9:30 am - 7:00 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
Washington Square Park
Education in the park, Health fair in Judson Church
In response to our broken and bankrupt health care system, Strike Debt’s Rolling Jubilee initiative will make a big announcement in March. We have bought and abolished a large amount of medical debt. We are using this “buy” to highlight the profound inhumanity and inequality of our medical payment system and to create a vision of a world where healthcare is truly treated as a right.
Join Strike Debt, Healthcare for the 99%, Occupy Town Square and others on March 23 for a day of free healthcare, radical education and a march to highlight community hospital closings.
@Washington Square Park
9:30am – all day: Free education, legal advice, performances and music
2pm – March to highlight community hospital closings
9:30am – 1:30pm: A health fair with FREE HEALTHCARE!
5:30pm – 7pm: Continuation of health fair
We also plan to have practitioners on call to answer medical questions live on the internet all day!
*This action is part of a week of actions all around the country declaring a Healthcare Emergency: It’s a Matter of “Life or Debt”.
Call to action: http://strikedebt.org/lifeordebt
Hashtags for the action: #lifeordebt #M23 #strikedebt
If you won’t be in New York, join us in bringing this action everywhere! Already, actions are planned in California, Maryland, Colorado, Vermont and Minnesota. Wherever you are,
· Protest a closed community hospital
· Support a struggling community hospital
· Protest a private insurance company
· Protest a pharmaceutical company
· Do a creative direct action!
· Organize a healthcare or debt speak out
· Organize a free health screening or health fair
· Organize free legal advice and debt/financial guidance
· Provide free education about debt and/or healthcare
Some helpful slogans and messages:
· Healthcare: a Matter of Life or Debt
· Debt on Arrival
· End Medical Debt
· Strike Medical Debt
· Healthcare is a Human Right
· Medical Knowledge Put Me into Debt