Date(s) - 04/10/2013
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
U.S. District Court
500 Pearl St.
Room 15C [entrance at Worth & Mulberry Sts.
Join NYCHA residents to PACK THE COURT and END Stop and Frisk
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 fr/ 9:00am until 4:00pm
U.S. District Court 500 Pearl St. Room 15C [entrance at Worth & Mulberry: directions at bottom of msg.]
Press conference at 12:30pm outside the federal court house
Public Housing Against Stop & Frisks
Public · By Families United for Racial & Economic Equality (FUREE)
Stop and frisks in public housing put NYCHA residents in greater danger! Join NAACP Legal Defense Fund, FUREE, Good Old Lower East Side, Mothers on the Move (MOM) and the Red Hook Initiative and PACK THE COURT HOUSE for the Floyd vs. the City of New York trial.
It’s time to show that the reign of Stop & Frisks must come to an end! We must hold the NY Police Department accountable for unjust, racist and abusive policing that harm public housing residents, people of color and low income families!
– Police stops in public housing not only lead to baseless trespass arrests, those arrests can also put residents in jeopardy of being evicted from their homes
– Public housing residents make up about 5% of the City’s population, yet in the past seven years, between 11% and 15% of all documented police stops took place on NYCHA’s property
– From 2004 to 2011, public housing residents accounted for a little under half of all trespass stop in the entire city
– Blacks and Latino make up 83% of all trespass stops citywide, and 94% of trespass stops in public housing
– Trespass enforcement is 2 to 3 times greater in public housing then in the immediate surrounding area
Join us at Federal Court, 500 Pearl Street to pack the court room and show the human face of police victimization at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, April 10th in Room 15C.
Then, show your solidarity and join us for a press conference at 12:30pm outside the Federal Court House and hear public housing residents’ demands for an end to stop and frisks!
Let’s win justice. Let’s win equity. Let’s win an end to Stop & Frisks!
New York, New York
Directions to 500 Pearl St. / Moynihan Federal Courthouse / U.S. Southern District Court: This curvy, post-modern skyscraper just northeast of Foley Sq., at `bottom` of Mulberry Bend Park, has entrances on Pearl St. just west of Park Row – and – on Worth St. btw Baxter & Mulberry, where most actions are; transit: J train (not M) to Chambers; #4, 5, 6 to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall; R (not N) to City Hall (at Broadway & Warren); A, C to Chambers; N, Q to Canal (east exit stairs, through J platform, to Centre St.); #1, 2, 3 to Chambers; E to WTC; PATH to WTC; M22 bus via Madison St., East Broadway, Worth & Chambers; M9 via Essex St., East Broadway & Park Row; buses via 3rd Av./Bowery or via Broadway or via 2nd Av. & Allen St.;
maps: <http://ow.ly/5or1N >; < http://goo.gl/maps/Td8j4>; bus map <http://ow.ly/6SK4u >