Date(s) - 06/01/2013
12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
Riverside Church, South Hall
btw. 120th & 122nd Street - 1 Train to 116th Street
Join a panel of police brutality victims along with family members from coast to coast who have lost loved ones to police violence. Hear their stories of struggles for justice and strategize on taking action within our communities, to confront police terror and hold them accountable for brutality and racist murder.
“Voices of Resistance” – MC’ed by Brian Jones, International Socialist Organization
- Ramona Africa, survivor of 1985 bombing of the MOVE movement by Philadelphia police.
- Fred Bryant, father of Keaton Otis, killed by Portland, OR, police on May 12, 2010.
- Danette Chavis, mother of 19-year old Gregory Chavis, left to bleed to death after being shot by the NYPD on October 9, 2004.
- Mark Clements, police torture survivor, sentenced to life without parole as a juvenile, Chicago, IL
- Natasha Davis, sister of 23-year old Shantel Davis, shot by the Brooklyn NYPD on June 14, 2012, while sitting in a car.
- Margarita Rosario, mother of Anthony Rosario, murdered by the NYPD in the Bronx along with his cousin Hilton Vega, on January 12, 1995.
- Askia Sabur, brutalized by Philadelphia police, September 10, 2010
“Strategies for Our Movement” – MC’ed by Amir Amma, Campaign to End the New Jim Crow
- Adam & Jeralynn Blueford, parents of 18-year-old Alan Blueford, murdered on May 6, 2012 by Oakland police.
- Jack Bryson, father of two sons who were with Oscar Grant when he was murdered on an Oakland, CA, subway platform by police on January 1, 2009.
- Reggie Buggs, U.R.G.E.N.T., Garfield, New Jersey
- Constance Malcolm, mother of Ramarley Graham, killed in his home in the Bronx on February 2, 2012, by the NYPD.
- Yusef Salaam, wrongfully-convicted in 1990 in the Central Park 5 case, New York City
- Rev. CD Witherspoon, Southern Leadership Conference, Baltimore, MD
- Juanita Young, mother of Malcolm Ferguson, shot point-blank by undercover NYPD in the Bronx, on March 1, 2000.
Evening cultural event hosted by Thenjiwe McHarris, with live performances by the Welfare Poets & Aidge!!
Hosted by: Campaign to End the New Jim Crow
Endorsed by: Campaign to End the Death Penalty, Haymarket Books, International Socialist Organization, Justice Committee, Parents Against Police Brutality, Stop & Frisk Freedom Fighters (list in formation – contact firstname.lastname@example.org to endorse)
Tabling: Tabling space is available – contact email@example.com.
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/157887721056628/