Tweets for Thu, 22 Mar 2012

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Livetweets.

Hey fam! #NYCGA is starting in Liberty Square right now with about 13 people. Follow here for tweeets. #OWS

Corey is facilitating. Christine from accounting is starting with a discussion, about how we’re down to $12k. “Accounting doesn’t feel..”

Cont’d: “….comfortable just handing the money to whoever gets to us first,” would be making decisions beyond their empowerment. #OWS

Cont’d; “What I’d like to do is talk briefly about the 3 or 4 options,” pull a proposal out of what we’re hearing from the breakout groups.

Cont’d: “It seems like there are a few reasonable ways of dealing with this. One is to hand the $ to whoever gets there first; if…”

Cont’d: “…community was cool with that, we’d do it.” Could split up proportionally between WGs; there is a spending freeze but…

Cont’d: “…the things that the spending freeze” required can’t really happen now. Could spend on something else, or hold on to it. #NYCGA

Cont’d: “Before we breakout,” re: transparency, Christine has a report about where the $ has gone, plus copies of bank statements. #OWS

Corey asks if anyone else has proposals tonight. Dicey has an emergency proposal to eliminate the 24-hour rule, so we won’t need to make..

Cont’d: ..emergency proposals to make changes. “We need to be flexible.” #NYCGA #OWS

emergency proposal from dicey: eliminate 24 hour waiting period for proposals

we need more flexibility, we dont know what will happen, ga is up in the air, need to be able to adjust quickly

do we feel this is an emergency proposal? mostly uptwinkles

Opening stack for clarifying questions. CQ: “I disagree with you in the respect, this park does have energy. Problem is we’re being divided”

Cont’d: “Let’s keep this park as an exchange for ideas and meeting and togetherness,” other park has different role. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: Suggests the reason folks aren’t here is “confusion” about where GA is going to be. #NYCGA #OWS

Corey asks if there’s a question in there. “That sounded more like a concern.” There are no CQs. Opening concerns stack. #NYCGA #OWS

Sean’s friendly amendment is that we don’t abolish it forever; just suspend it for two weeks. Temp check is good, Dicey accepts. #NYCGA #OWS

Concern: “Perception by people that this is a power grab — key word, perception — folks will say now we can do things without scrutiny..”

Cont’d: “…we used to have.” Next concern: “This is the first GA I’ve been to since the fall, so take that as it is — however my concern..

Cont’d: “..is that I was at a meeting in Crown Heights last week w/ 40 or 50 ppl there, and meetings in the Bronx have more people…”

Cont’d: Concern is that this small group has authority to make decisions about critical parts of #Occupy resources. #NYCCGA #OWS

Cont’d: “I’m concerned we’re not building the connections we need to be building.” #NYCGA #OWS

Christine’s POI: “This is not a normal size for this group to be;” we’re “in sort of a weird place.” But, quorum has never passed GA. #NYCGA

POI: “There have been a # of times when proposals have been brought forward with small # GAs and the proposers tended to table…” #NYCGA

David’s 2 POIs: “#1, since the weather changed last week, we’ve been having hundreds at GAs and they’re all up at Union Square.” #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: “#2, this proposal now is about simply doing away with the procedure for 2 weeks of having an advance posting of any proposals..”

Cont’d: “..there wouldn’t nd to be an emergency to develop proposals at GA.” Sean’s POI (POI: that’s the 4th POI): we’ve passed $ w/ less.

Camille’s concern: “We need people to come together for one GA to make a decision,” but we can’t do anything about that. “My FA is…”

Cont’d: “…that we get rid of the 24 hour rule, but establish that the LibertySqGA cannot make more decisions until folks who have…”

Cont’d: …been stakeholders are participating in that decision. #NYCGA #OWS

Trish asked if this was being streamed (no), minutes (me). Now she’s asking what the proposal is by stating it. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: “That would be very detrimental to the GA. Why? There’s less than 24 people here; this would impact way future proposals…”

Cont’d: “…were dealt with.” Most important thing is to “realize we were at war.” We “need a strategy.” “We’ve been at war for nearly 4…”

Cont’d: “…days. We have people all over the city. They need metrocards and to get nourishment.” This proposal puts them at further risk..

Cont’d: “…she says.” “Nothing is more important than to stand on the foundation we’ve established in the last 6 months.” #NYCGA #OWS

Camille: “Just to clarify, we’ve been trying to talk w/ ppl in Union Square.” Conversations she’s heard, they’re not into right now…

Cont’d: “…moving the NYCGA there,” as long as we’re holding it here, it’s here. “If it wants to get moved, it’s up to individuals in…”

Cont’d: “…union square to come down and consense on that.” #NYCGA #OWS

Kathryn: “I do agree with the fact that it should be a temporary” change to discard the 24-hour rule. Otherwise would be an awesome thing.

Christine notes that this will help facilitate the Accounting proposal, but since breakouts + proposal were posted, maybe can do it anyway.

Dicey responds: “The worst thing we could do is continue to do what we’ve done like nothing’s changed.” “You all know from working groups..”

Cont’d: “…and from being in the middle of actions, that consensus is best built in the moment frm collective input.” We need to do it now.

Dicey restates the proposal: to deactivate the 24-hour rule for 2 weeks so we can have an active consensus process in the meantime. #NYCGA

Trish is very upset about this. “Do not do this.” Someone’s not sure what 24-hour rule has to do with the GA- why it’s needed. #NYCGA #OWS

She notes that the 24-hour rule is how folks decide whether to come to a GA. Corey notes it’s not a concern. #NYCGA #OWS

stack re-opened for concerns #nycga #ows

some back and forth arguing #nycga #ows

concern: “It is finance group that wants the 24hr limit lifted” #nycga #ows

@DIceyTroop responds: “FIrst of all, I had this proposal in mind before I came here.” #nycga #ows

“Second, in order for us to figure out what to do, we need to have a conversation. When that conversation ends, we have a proposal” #nycga

“That’s how consensus will work. That’s what the GA was originally like” #ows #nycga

“It’s important for us not to hold on to process that isnt working” #nycga #ows

“Over the next 5 days, people will be making decisions that affect the next phase” #nycga #Ows

Two concerns: “Under no circumstance, lets not have GA anywhere else” #nycga #ows

Second “We are in a state of confusion” lets not act hastily #nycga #ows

Stairs: This proposal has nothing to do with where the GA is #nycga #ows

Same concern, reiterated: “What is the advantage?” #nycga #ows

Dicey responds: “I feel no confusion.” Also, we need to relax the 24hr notice so we can develop proposals and address … #nycga #ows

… as they arise #nycga #ows

Concern: Breaking the 24hr rule might allow the flood of proposals to return #nycga #ows

We as a movement have not gotten the ability to see what is coming to work yet, we can’t give up on it #nycga #ows

… as someone who works, it’s hard not to be able to see what’s coming #nycga #ows

Dicey responds: “I agree but we need to be able to talk together and come up with ideas” #nycga #ows

Dicey cont: “.. our GA has been a very straiightjacketed version of consensus” #nycga #ows

Trish: “in the scheme of things, 24hrs is no time whatsoever. Nothing is so important that we need to make fast decisions” #nycga #ows

Trish: “… people are in union square because they are making money and don’t have to deal with NYPD oppression” #nycga #ows

[Ed. - uh, what?] #nycga #ows

Stairs: This proposal has nothing to do with Union Sq. Trish: My concern is this proposal is not including them #nycga #ows

Concern: Even before we got raided, this was chaos. Now, mob mentality. If people wanted to be here, they’d be here. #nycga #ows

Concern: It’s not an emergency they didn’t come here, they chose not to. So it’s not an emergency. #nycga #ows

Dicey: I’m a little confused by that, but I think this rule will remove chaos. #nycga #ows

Stack: Want to clarify that people _can_ still post 24hrs in advance? Dicey: yes #nycga #ows

Dicey responds: Maybe we should enable ourselves to develop proposals after a facilitated discussion UNLESS posted 24hrs #nycga #ows

[ps: Dicey is not livetweeting, I'm @corpounreal] #nycga #ows

Question: Can you clarify what this is proposing? #nycga #ows

Dicey: Yes, this is to develop proposals *within* GA, rahter than having to post 24hrs ahead of time. Consensus should allow us #nycga #ows

… to make collective decisions. They could close Union Sq tmrw, so our decisions would be different tmrw. #nycga #ows

Concern: … that doesn’t hold water. Same ppl here every day. #nycga #ows

Stairs: Closing stack. #nycga #ows

David: I put myself on stack, it may be answered in the current FA. I just feel we need to be able to organically develop … #nycga #ows

… proposals. So I was going to suggest that we have a discussion, and then the decision could come at the NEXT GA #nycga #ows

Dicey: I’m disinclined to accept that, because the proposal may have been developed in a very different context. #nycga #ows

In some groups, consensus means that when the proposal is developed, we don’t even need any friendly amendments. #nycga #ows

Trish has a PoI: If we do away with this would allow us to lift anything as a GA that the already passed? #nycga #ows

Dicey: That’s not a PoI, but I respond: This doesn’t mean that things will change willy-nilly. We have 90% consensus #nycga #ows

Sean: We’re doing this because we need to be dynamic. Currently by the rules, the earliest we could do this is Saturday. #nycga #ows

… we should really trust ourselves #nycga #ows

Apollo: Since this is an emergency proposal, why do we need to make a new category for this? #nycga #ows

Dicey: Because this precludes someone coming with a question and developing a proposal from it #nycga #ows

Previous concern now an FA: If everyone votes in favor of it, then it gets implemented tomorrow #nycga #ows

… so it doesn’t affect this GA #nycga #ows

FA Accepted. Next FA: Vote on whether something is an emergency proposal. PoI: We did. #nycga #ows

Lots of angry back and forth. RespectTheHouse signs aplenty. #nycga #ows

Darrell: I think we should table this. I don’t want to wait 45 minutes more. #nycga #ows

Moving to consensus process. Restating proposal with FA’s: 2 weeks, soonest can take effect tomorrow. #nycga #ows

Explaining standasides #nycga #ows

Sean explaining the definition of block, in context of standasides #nycga #ows

Standaside 1: Didn’t find examples compelling. SA2: If proposals not required to be posted, won’t be. SA3: Find it unclear. #nycga #ows

3 blocks. 1st block: “No one is here” that means YOUR ppl aren’t here. Dicey: Sorry I offended you, didn’t mean it that way. #nycga #ows

2nd block: Trish. Ethical block based on “solidarity with 99%”, 24hr gap is safety net. #nycga #ows

3rd block declined. #nycga #ows

Dicey discussing with 1st blocker concern over his block. Stairs asks for FAs to clear blocks. #nycga #ows

Trish offers as an FA a 72 hour time period. Declined. #nycga #ows

ppl complaining lots effort to clear blocks. Stairs: explaining that clearing of blocks is an important part of consensus. #nycga #ows

blocker offers 2 days to clear his block. Dicey accepts. #nycga #ows

Trish is up. Her FA is… that whatever the next proposal is, it’s not swindling. [Ed. - what?] #nycga #ows

Re-FA’d to two GA’s: Thurs & Sat. #nycga #ows

Restated proposal: 24hr rule set aside for Thurs & Sat. Soonest resulting proposals can take effect is following day. #nycga #ows

Proposal did not pass, it was 14 to 7. Moving onto the financial proopsal. Christine suggests she thinks we can create a proposal… #NYCGA

Cont’d: …because the idea that we would create a proposal is posted on the website. #NYCGA #OWS

POP: Dicey disagrees with Christine. “The 24-hour rule sets expectation that proposals are posted before consensus. We can’t consense on…

Cont’d: “…any proposal we might develop in this group unless it’s an emergency proposal, because of the 24-hour rule.” #NYCGA #OWS

Trish’s POI repeated exactly what Dicey just said. #NYCGA #OWS

CQ: “Are we raising money?” A: “Yes, but it’s not nearly enough to meet our existing budgetary obligations.” #NYCGA #OWS

Trish’s CQ: “How much $ have you raised from the mailing list, apart from what is already posted?” A: “Those aren’t two separate things..”

Cont’d: “…we do not actively fundraise. We have not sent emails to our donor list except for once saying thank you.” #NYCGA #OWS

CQ: “What is the size of the total reoccuring budget, and what day is it drawn one?” A: “The way it works now is point ppl email…” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “…accounting” and work out when the transaction occurs. “Every week, our reoccuring budgets amount to $1,709.” #NYCGA #OWS

We’re now in breakout groups, wherein high-profile disruptors are interrogating members of Accounting WG. #NYCGA #OWS

OK, reporting back breakouts. First one discussed setting aside $ for metrocards, printing specifically for MayDay, kitchen cap at $3500.

Someone adds a fourth from that group: the idea of cutting equally from all existing budgets. #NYCGA #OWS

Next: Sean is under impression Kitchen has been hoarding $ to keep it running a couple weeks beyond budget. Also, they’re raising $ at…

Cont’d: …union square.” “Also, people up there say it’s a dumpster diving mecca; they’re not worried about food.” Moves Kitchen get $0.

Cont’d: “Next, Medics;” they’re calling for in-kind donations and have stock. Also allocated them $0. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: Next, $ for Spokes; right now Monday is free and Wednesday is $40. Don’t think we need to pay for that. $0. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: And finally “we think it would be really great to have some money” set aside for the proposed bike coalition budget. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: Oh, and they also wanted to allocate 6k (half of remaining $) to Outreach’s printing budget. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: They wanted to give $3000 each to bikes and Metrocards. Next, Trish’s group wants to give Kitchen $0, Medics $0, give half to…

Trish’s group would also cut Facilitation’s budget, printing would be cut greatly she says. #NYCGA #OWS

Someone adds that folks are concerned that some groups will need Metrocards more than others as part of cutting card $. #NYCGA #OWS

Christine’s POI: “Printing doesn’t get $7000/week,” printout might have been confusing ” That was for #OccuCopy back in the day. #NYCGA #OWS

Cynthia chimes in to add that she liked Sean’s observations that folks in Union Square can get fed bt they can’t get Metrocards. #NYCGA #OWS

Camille recaps: “The first group… wanted to remove $ proportionally from each group so each got last little…” A: “We didn’t actually..”

Cont’d: “…agree on that.” “We’d rather be selective.” Also now that they know Kitchen has $, they might be OK with cutting to $0 budget.

Christine notes there’s no one here from Kitchen to speak to that, and no one has told them they have $20k, hearsay AFA Accounting Knows.

Sean: “I heard it from Dallas, who said he was putting together a proposal” originally slated for Thursday to announce they have backup.

Camille continues to summarize: Trish wanted half the Metrocard money, Outreach 1/3rd. #NYCGA #OWS

And the first group restates that they specifically want the printing budget to go only for MayDay. #NYCGA #OWS

Now we’re opening stack on broader discussion. Sean interrupts for an announcement: #OO just re-encamped! “Fuck yeah Oakland!” #NYCGA #OWS

First, Hermes suggests we freeze all the money, given the uncertainty of these days and our need for funding for MayDay and other stuff.

Next: “I don’t think we should get bikes; I think Metrocards are better,” we can travel all over the city on MTA vehicles. #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: …finally, Metrocards should be $15 on card a week instead of unlimited cards. #NYCGA #OWS

Trish gets up and repeats: printing 1/3rd, Metrocards, 1/2, and “everything else basically is locked down.” Doesn’t think “bikes are a…”

Cont’d: “…good idea, because we’d have to pay for bikes and then also licenses for bikes,” claims they’re needed. Heads shaking. #NYCGA

Trish also notes that “bikes would be liable to be seized by the #NYPD.” [I'm sure she is in fact an authority on this subject. -Ed.] #NYCGA

Camille: “There is no requirement in NY state for a license for a bicycle.” Next on stack: “I don’t think that amnt of expenditure is…”

Cont’d: “…necessary to form a bike coalition.” Someone clarifies it’s to build bikes ppl can use, which makes more sense to him now.#NYCGA

Gid suggests that we get bikes donated, thinks it would be easy. Cynthia is concerned that “people, I don’t want to say names…”

Cont’d: “..but this gentleman and this one” — “I don’t see people coming down to Wall Street from Brooklyn on a bike.” #NYCGA #OWS

Christine: “it sounds like ppl want to come together to make a budget for how to spend this last few thou,” not just cut proportionally.

She asks for a temperature check about that. Looks good. “Seems like what we should do is not just spend the $ but rather wait…” #NYCGA

Cont’d: “…for it to be put online and consensed upon.” Sean steps up to put the proopsal together, seek input. #NYCGA #OWS

Cynthia asks if we can see the budgets for the next few weeks, blowing everyone’s mind. We just read pages about this. #NYCGA #OWS

Working on timeline for meeting to discuss the proopsal and for the proposal itself. Sean asks if we want it for Saturday… #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: …and points out that if it would meet the 24-hour rule for Saturday, would need to be submitted by tomorrow. #NYCGA #OWS

So, financial assembly will convene immediately following GA to build the budget proposal. GA is over, thanks for reading fam. #NYCGA #OWS

Announcements: tomorrow at 6pm is the open spaces assembly, 235 West 23rd street until 10pm. #NYCGA #OWS

Ted reports from #OccupyUnionSquare, where they hope to experiment a little and keep roots nourished by fresh blood without… #NYCGA #OWS

Cont’d: “…it being tainted by our funkiness b/c we do have a little funky culture down here.” Wants to make sure ppl don’t feel excluded.

Comments are closed.