Tweets for Wed, 15 Feb 2012

Posted by & filed under Assemblies, Livetweets.

RT @OccupyWallStNYC: Open Forum on Diversity of Tactics will be held at 55 Bethune St: West Village near Brecht Forum, Weds 2/15 from 1- …

Hey fam! #OWS Spokescouncil is about to begin. As usual, we’ll livetweet it here & on @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, & @LibertySqGA4. #NYCSC

Tonight, Andy Smith and @thejorobin are facilitating, so we’ll call them “Stairs” for short. #NYCSC #OWS

Stairs: “Welcome, everyone, to the #OWS Spokescouncil!” Stairs will introduce themselves. #NYCSC #OWS

Andy: “Hey everybody, I’m Andy; I’ve been around for awhile.” Characterizes himself as an “active” facilitator, meaning he’ll move things…

Cont’d: …along quickly. But if you feel we’re moving *too* quickly, “please let me know.” Jo will focus on vibes, and offers to… #NYCSC

Cont’d: …keep an eye on side conversations so she can facilitate them leaving the space and continuing outside. #NYCSC #OWS

Stan is doing stack, and @wookietv will keep time. @Buddhagem is doing Minutes! [And @diceytroop is doing tonight's LTs. -Ed.] #NYCSC #OWS

Jo: “We have some newcomers tonight,” asks if we want to review handsignals. Looks good. Andy thanks the newcomers for coming. #NYCSC #OWS

Handsignals: 1 finger in the air “is a point of information, specifically reserved for when you have a relevant factual bit of info.” #NYCSC

Put up a C with one finger to indicate a “clarifying question about an actual piece of information” relevant to the proposal. #NYCSC #OWS

Jo: “Sometimes we sneak our feelings in w/ a clarifying question; we’ll try not to do that tonight.” Notes we have stack for concerns.#NYCSC

Make a triangle w/ 2 hands to indicate “a point of process,” meaning you’d like to nudge us back onto our process if we’ve diverged. #NYCSC

“Respect the house” is a symbol that looks like making a roof over your hand w/ 2 hands. Means, let’s bring things to order silently. #NYCSC

Jo also notes that we have, in our process, standasides and blocks. “A standaside is for when your spoke group may not all agree…” #NYCSC

Andy explains a block. You use it when “you have a specific moral concern or if the proposal specifically endangers you or your principles.”

Cont’d: “It’s a very serious problem that you have with the proposal, and should be used as such.” Negesti notes it should be on behalf…

Cont’d: …of the movement; if it’s personal, it would be appropriately a stand-aside. #NYCSC #OWS

Jo: “If a group can’t come to an agreement, that is also an appropriate time for a stand aside.” #NYCSC #OWS

Andy: “A lot of us have worked with process a lot,” notes that sometimes people use direct responses “to monopolize time.” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “If I see that, people sort of overusing process” to take over the conversation, he’ll try to prevent it. #NYCSC #OWS

Jo: “On September 17th, 2011, people from all across the US and the world came to protest the economic injustices of our times…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “We spoke out, resisted, and successfully occupied wall st. Today, we proudly remain at Liberty Square,” building a society…

Cont’d: “…based on mutual respect, understanding, and love.” “Through our direct democratic process, we’ve come together as individuals…”

Cont’d: “…and crafted these principles of solidarity…” Here’s the full doc Jo is reading from to start us off: http://t.co/olxmZRSD #NYCSC

Andy said he felt intimidated about facilitating SC, and would like to tell us why he thinks it’s important, to find some common ground.

Andy: “This is a political institution that’s outside the political system we disagree with, and that’s really radical and incredible.”

Cont’d: “I’m someone who totally cut out frm SC for 1.5 mnths, b/c it wore me out.” But found strength to return, knowing it’s so important.

Jo tells us how grateful she is to be here. “Thank you all for being here.” Now, we’ll start off w/ Working Group Reportbacks. #NYCSC #OWS

Minutes’ report back: “Minutes WG has made some changes to the way we do things in order to better serve the needs of the GA, SC, WGs.”

Cont’d: “In the spirit of transparency, we want to make this known to” the community. They’ll read this every SC/GA for awhile. #NYCSC

“In the past, the Minutes WG has tried to create verbatim transcriptions of every meeting. This is a lot of work, and has meant that there..

Cont’d: “…has often been a significant delay to minutes being posted on http://t.co/OzXDORvv,”- caused difficulties, hampered transparency.

Minutes, in short, are now producing summaries of events more quickly on the site, and then having folks help transcribe audio. #nycsc

Archives notes that more ppl should come out to actions supporting our “brothers and sisters in the Middle East.” #NYCSC #OWS

@HelloFrances tech difficulties, can you tweet us yr announcement?

Justin of Queering OWS says they’re regrouping; tmrw they’re marching on fashion week tents, after doing makeup starting 11am at the park.

.@NegestiC lets us know that Facilitation WG will no longer be running meetings with less than a full team, tho they’ll try to train ad-hoc.

OK, so we’re moving onto setting the agenda for tonight’s meeting. “As of right now, we have 1 proposal, coming from Town Planning.” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “We also can be open to setting a few agenda items for discussion;” ppl could bring new proposals to the table as well. #NYCSC #OWS

Justin wants to start “a conversation about marginalization through scheduling design. I watch a lot of groups doing a lot of the same…”

Cont’d: “…stuff at the same time across the city.” So, “how to all get on the same page so we can make better use of the mvmnt’s time.”

OK, so Town Planning’s proposal is to try to help us make better use of our Spokescouncil time. One is to require ppl to pass… #NYCSC

Cont’d: …proposals out on paper, “so we all have time to read it.” And the other is to try to start the meetings on-time, at .7. #NYCSC #OWS

Negesti wants to add something too, says facilitation wants to talk about how to make GA/SC “a little bit safer for our facilitation teams.”

We’re trying to set the agenda order– Justin notes his item is “a can of worms,” thinks should be at the end. #NYCSC #OWS

Andy suggests we quickly address our Town Planning proposal, then move to the discussions. #NYCSC #OWS

TP: “A version of this was brought Monday; sorry Robert was angry.” Part 1 is from the WoN proposal about having a review period for props.

Town Planning’s version requires each proposal to be distributed on paper 1 SpokesCouncil before the one it’s discussed in. #NYCSC #OWS

They note that we could still make exceptions for “emergency proposals”, similar to GA. #NYCSC #OWS

“#2 is a suggestion that we start meetings ontime. When Robert brought this, it was very contentious.” #NYCSC #OWS

“All I’m really asking for us for us to agree on a social contract to show up here at 7:00, instead of 7:30, 7:45, etc.” #NYCSC #OWS

“This does bring up the question of a quorum,” Sean took all the friendly amendments that Robert refused last time. #NYCSC #OWS

Here’s the full text of the proposal. It’s wordy, so I’ll try to distill the gist of it for y’all. http://t.co/KeNVrcBt #NYCSC #OWS

So, part 1: “All proposals seeking to be on the SC agenda must be distributed via printed handout one SC” beforehand. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “Also, all proposals seeking to be on the SC agenda must be emailed into Facilitation by 4pm of the SC it’s to be voted on.” #NYCSC

It makes allowance for emergency proposals, same as GA rules, and notes that non-proposal items need not follow these rules. #NYCSC

Part 2 is that SC will start at 7 provided that at least 20 individuals, including 7 working groups and 1 caucus, not counting minutes…

Cont’d: …livestream, or facilitation, if the facilitation team is late. The SC can draw facilitators from within its numbers if need be.

OK, so working groups have conferred, and now their Spokes will raise hands to get on stack for clarifying questions. #NYCSC #OWS

CQ: “What’s the official NYCGA feed?” A: Sean means the #NYCGA / #NYCSC hashtags for streamers to post that they are live on Twitter. #OWS

Next CQ is about the GA rules for emergency proposals: “what’s that process?” This proposal would use the same rules. #NYCSC #OWS

They also want to know why he bolded some of the text, and want to know how this is changing the current rules. #NYCSC #OWS

A: The bolded text is just to separate his “verbose” writing from the proposal itself. He notes that right now, there are no rules about…

Cont’d: …how proposals are handled in Spokes; some people post them online ahead of time, but it’s not required. #NYCSC #OWs

Facilitation explains that “an emergency proposal has an external, previously-unforseeable deadline.” Unanticipated need. #NYCSC #OWS

Archives’ CQ: “When Spokes was originally conceived, was there supposed to be a padding b/w official start time and when it started…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…so that Spokes could talk to other Spokes and discuss?” Jo says no, based on their review of the original SC model. #NYCSC #OWS

Jo: “There’s no process for bringing proposals to SC, and there’s no time padding for groups to pre-convene.” #NYCSC #OWS

Class War’s CQ: “Not everybody can access computers, or print stuff.” Is there an alternate way proposers can advise ppl in advance? #NYCSC

Sean notes that Outreach has a printing budget and will print stuff for you, but Negesti notes they’re overworked and there’s some lag time.

Justin notes that “Facilitation has been having this conversation” about whether burden is on proposers or the body to print things out.

Jo notes that her instinct at this point is to step in and note this is becoming a Concerns conversation; asks to return to CQ stack. #NYCSC

CQ, Queering OWS: “For GAs, we have to submit things in advance; seems like SC allows some wiggle room,” last SC a proposal came from…

Cont’d: …a discussion. “Won’t this impede on body’s need to reach agreements by this body?” #NYCSC #OWS

A notes that that was a subcomponent of an existing, known proposal. “I’m not too concerned that not always consensing on something the…”

Cont’d: “…day it’s brought forward is a bad idea.” Negesti, Facilitation, wants clarification about which version of their role was…

Cont’d: …accurate: the one written, or what he said? A: It’s what he said: it must be brought to facilitation at least one SC before. #NYCSC

Minutes is first on the Concerns stack. “If Metrocards are being distributed, the meeting will still go on no matter what, right?” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “Last week, it didn’t stop the meeting; the meeting paused by itself. If we continued to do the meeting, it wouldn’t be any…”

Cont’d: “…good, because it kind of stopped by itself. It’s doing that by itself.” Suggests housing distro MCs “an hour before Spokes?”#NYCSC

Facilitation’s POI: “We rent the spaces out for certain blocks of time; beforehand may not be time” when space is available to us. #NYCSC

Jeff notes that they officially do start an hour before, but “we can’t guarantee that will always happen due to things beyond our control.”

Cont’d: “For the past month, we’ve been here at 6:00,” at the SC and GA ppl. Jo vouches, they were here at 6, giving cards out. #NYCSC #OWS

Sean notes that last time, the meeting paused in part because a facilitator needed a metrocard. “All I’m really asking is that what’s…”

Cont’d: “…happening right now is the norm.” They’re not saying that future SC cannot ever pause the meeting, just that consensus is needed.

Next Concern, Facilitation: “Pardon us; we’ve got a nice list. First, want Livestream not be only requirement;” want Minutes required too.

Cont’d: “Secondly, pulling facilitation team from the room isn’t the best way to have a prepared facilitation team,” suggests waiting.

Bana’s concern is re: the requirement to post proposals before meeting, but “I’m kind of concerned that Weds’ spokes will be overloaded…”

Cont’d: “…as people will hand out proposals on Mon and wait til Wed, rather than doing it Wed, waiting til Monday.” #NYCSC #OWS

A: “The only reason LS is mentioned is that it’s specifically mentioned w/ in the Spokescouncil proposal” blueprint. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “Also, what we’ve done in the past is” started with working group reportbacks, and hopefully by end, Facilitation is ready. #NYCSC

And, re: the lag, it “does sound like a concern,” says that a long weekend to talk about proposals might help them be ready to pass. #NYCSC

He also points out that we could always go back to having a Friday meeting, “if we feel we need to take Friday back.” #NYCSC #OWS

Minutes: “We don’t want to be the sole reason why a meeting is delayed. So, basically, what we’re saying is that anybody can step up…”

Cont’d: “…and take Minutes at that point in time. I don’t think a person from Minutes WG has to be physically there; if the time comes…”

Cont’d: “…and we’re not there, take a pen and a pad.” Facilitation says concerns addressed, but says a facilitation team includes minutes.

FunHub’s concern: “We’re concerned about the timeframe of 7pm. Some ppl who come from Atrium to Spokes has to leave roughly near 7…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…because of how late Kitchen sometimes is in getting down there.” FA is to start SC at 7:30, give arrival time, buffer time. #NYCSC

RE: the proposal part, “instead of having to announce before, why don’t you just say has to be on http://t.co/OzXDORvv 24 hours in advance?”

Both of those amendments were rejected by Sean. It’s 8:30, and Stairs notes we’ve reached time on this. #NYCSC #OWS

Jo: “There are 6 more concerns and FAs on stack; we have 2 other agenda items. How is your feeling about moving forward?” #NYCSC #OWS

Sean: “I’m happy to move forward, or happy to table it” for further work. Stairs will temperature check moving forward w/ this. #NYCSC #OWS

Jo recognizes some “down-twinkles, but it was predominantly” positive. We’ll finish stack, then move to consensus. #NYCSC #OWs

Next Concern: Archives. “I’d like to propose that we include some kind of time padding from moment we walk in to moment we start.” #NYCSC

Cont’d; “We have the ability to talk to other people and find out what’s going on,” network with other working groups. “If we start…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…right on time, we’re missing out on chance to talk to broader” body of occupiers. #NYCSC #OWS

OK, so we’ll temp-check making it a friendly amendment to start at 7:15 (15 minute padding)… or 7:30? Straw poll time! #NYCSC #OWS

Jo notes that we don’t need to straw poll; we can get a sense of how we feel about more than one option. #NYCSC #OWS

Andy notes that waiting until 7:15 or 7:30 “is the current process we’re using.” It just goes to proposer’s accepting or not accepting.

A: “I’m happy to say yes to 7:15.” OK, amended. Next concern/friendly amendment on stack. #NYCSC #OWS

Next, Think Tank is concerned about issues w/ Outreach being behind and/or “differential access” to printing facilities. #NYCSC #OWS

TT notes that someone suggested we get a hotspot for SC so that people can access the website at Spokes, but she wants to hear options.

Ronnie’s from Outreach, insists that they can print things for Spokes, “just don’t send things last minute.” #NYCSC #OWS

There’s some disagreement about how big of an access issue this will be, based on Outreach’s availability. Ronnie says 24-hour turnaround.

Library’s concern: “We have too many fliers in this movement! We kill way too many trees.” Throws a lot away. #NYCSC #OWS

Also, “we do have different people at every Spokescouncil; what you’re trying to do here, propose one spokes, consense the next, will…”

Cont’d: “…only prolong the process,” because different people at next meeting will go “what’s the proposal? we need to hear it.” #NYCSC #OWS

Frances’ (Library) friendly amendment: “No fliers, everything needs to be posted at least 3 days before SC so groups can confer w/ spokes..”

Cont’d: “…and want to amend that we propose and consense in same meeting.” A: “Your FA is pre-accepted as that’s how this is designed…”

Cont’d: “…the flier is just to be handed out at prev. mtg.” RE: paper, he’ll take fliers out to answer “tree concern and access concern.”

Class Wars’ concern: “Not everybody has access to computers.” Also, “We should be encouraging everyone to come to SC regardless…”

Cont’d: “…of what’s on the agenda. It’s our community,” ppl should come “just because we want to make our community better.” #NYCSC #OWS

“Also, if it’s possible for there to be a projector like we used to have over at 56 Walker, so that way when ppl come in they can just…”

Cont’d: “…look up,” and see the proposal. Andy: “So, your FA is to not bring proposals 24 hours in advance?” #NYCSC #OWS

Class War: “Yes, the way we’ve been functioning.” Proposer declines, and Andy notes he doesn’t really need to explain. #NYCSC #OWS

Andy: “A projector, is another friendly amendment.” Sean says he can’t control that, “& we’re in a spending freeze so we can’t buy one.”

Next concern is w/ language in proposal that they perceive to be condescending. A: “I concur; I forgot to take that out. I try not to be…”

Cont’d: “…snarky in proposals, but I missed that one.” C accepts, but also calls him out for equating “dedicated” and “available”. #NYCSC

Last on stack, Media. “We are concerned that OWSNYC live is typically the only team that covers both GA and Spokes, and it’s a concern…”

Cont’d: “…that the pressure would be on them to show up at 7 — what if something happens?” Steve suggests a friendly amendment… #NYCSC

FA: “Let’s change the wording so it says ‘everybody can livetweet it’ as long as they post with hashtag #NYCSC.” #NYCSC #OWS

Jo notes original SC plan says “each SC will be broadcast over the livestream, http://t.co/5bc4f1w4.” Nick notes they’re defunct now.

Jo: “OK, great. So this sentence appears to be no longer appropriate. The FA would then be to take that language out of the proposal.”

Sean amends to clarify “instead of saying ‘the official livestream channel’, it’s the practice we’re using that the stream is announced.”

OK, so we’re done w/ concerns stack. Proposer will re-read the proposal w/ friendly amendments. #NYCSC #OWS

So, proposal is that SC agenda items needing consensus must be posted online 48 hours in advance, meeting starts at 7:15 if quorum present..

Cont’d: …meeting won’t stop for food or Metrocards. Working groups will confer for a moment before we continue. #NYCSC #OWS

Stairs asks if we want to try to consense on the 3 parts of the proposal separately. Looks like we will. #NYCSC #OWS

OK, we’re back. Stairs: “Do we want to move to consensus?” Temperature check is positive. “At this pt, want to ask for standasides.”#NYCSC

Part 1: Quorum. We’ll move to consensus on that now. “Are there any standasides?” No… Blocks? No blocks. “We have a consensus!” #NYCSC #OWS

Andy: “Quorum rule! A long time coming. A seriously long time coming. Next stop, the GA.” OK, so we’ll try to consense on the 48-hour rule.

Part 2: “The ‘meeting prior’ rule.” No longer requires printouts, but proposals must be announced one Spokes prior and posted online. #NYCSC

There are 4 standasides on the proposal. Facilitation is one, indicates they’d like to see the quorum part return and be passed. #NYCSC #OWS

Facilitation are standing aside. “We’re not in agreement about this.” Just them tho. Any blocks? “FunHub is blocking; all right.”#NYCSC #OWS

FunHub: “Not all the Spokes here on Wednesdays are here on Mondays. So announcing it…” notes they themselves have no Monday coverage. #NYCSC

Cont’d: “We’re supposed to have Spokes at each council throughout the week.” #NYCSC #OWS

Yuri (FunHub) suggests it be able to be announced at GA instead, 24 hrs prior. “Tht way, the whole GA can refer to their Spokes.”#NYCSC #OWS

Sean asks if group as a whole is cool w/ having it be “one GA or one SC prior” when proposals must be announced… Yuri is nonplussed. #NYCSC

Yuri says, if it’s announced at the Spokes before and it’s Monday, he won’t hear it. Wants them to go to GA. #NYCSC #OWS

So, the block holds. We’ll move to modified consensus… 12 voted for… 2 against. Modified consensus requires 90% approval, so no go. #NYCSC

Stairs asks if we want to push through to part 3. “That’s pretty positive; we’ve got two down.” #NYCSC #OWS

We’ll now test for consensus on part 3, which sets start time at 7:15 and says “no breaks” for food or Metrocards unless agreed. #NYCSC #OWS

Stairs starts by asking for standasides: there are 7. Jo: “I’m going to offer the proposer the oppty to table the proposal” based on that…

Sean will go forward. Stairs: “Are there blocks?” There’s 1 block. Sean immediately acknowledges that 90% assent is impossible w/ 1 block.

OK, so that part of the proposal is tabled. Jo: “We did consense on a quorum, and I’d like to remind us all of that!” #NYCSC #OWS

We’ll take a short break before coming back for our closing discussion. #NYCSC #OWS

OK, we’re back. Negesti: “In past 10 days, there’s been an incident of violence” at mtgs, and Facilitators need to be kept safe. #NYCSC #OWS

Negesti asks that we switch out of Spokes mode to have this convo; I think we’re into it. #NYCSC #OWS

So, we’ll have an open discussion about “things we can do to keep our team safe,” if ppl are comfy with it. Temp check looks good. #NYCSC

OK, so we’re stacking up. Facilitators step down since there’s no more proposals tonight. That way they can chime in, too. #NYCSC #OWS

Andy: “I personally think, especially at GAs, especially as we get bigger, re-starting the de-escalation group and have them…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…on-site at all GAs will be absolutely crucial. Call Shadow, get him back onsite.” #NYCSC #OWS

Next, Yuri. “De-escalation: you want safety and security? That’s what they’re supposed to be there for, yes? Get them there…” #NYCSC #OWS

And with that Yuri leaves for his birthday vacation, and we wave him goodbye. #NYCSC #OWS

Someone from De-escalation says he’d love to help, but we need consensus. “What do you guys want to do in the end?” He’ll take a punch…

Cont’d: …but “do you want to keep having me take punches?” Says we need to get disruptors and violent ppl out of movement. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “They don’t belong here. Let’s get the grievance process happening;” notes that Nan’s temporary absence slowed the urgency on that.

Next, Nathan. “A lot of people have put forward the answer of de-escalation, and I’d really appreciate if they’d be there. I think…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…facilitation would be very welcoming of de-escalation,” notes that maybe members of de-escalation should also be part of required.

Cont’d: …people to have a meeting. Notes tho that someone from de-escalation was very verbally aggressive a few nights ago… #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “…so, how do you hold de-escalation accountable?” #WhoWatchesTheWatchmen #OWS #NYCSC

Jeff, Minutes: “I was talking w/ Dave, and w/ Minutes it’s not the physical violence, but more how sometimes we feel like we’re employees…”

Cont’d: “…of SC or GA, rather than part of the body, like brothers and sisters?” The other day GA was like “Minutes, where you at?” #NYCSC

So, “how important is Minutes to this group?” VERY IMPORTANT. “Put that in the minutes,” someone yells. #NYCSC #OWS

Jeff: “So if it is that important, how can we get some support? Because the Minutes WG isn’t looking good right now.” Ppl dropping out…

Cont’d: “Our pride and joy right now is up to here with it, and she has to take a break. If we’re not here at these meetings, what happens?”

Cont’d: “So, how important is Minutes to the rest of the body, and if so, can we get some more people to join our working group?” #NYCSC

Dave notes “it applies to Facilitation as well,” it’s “a lack of respect for people doing logistical work” to make things happen.#NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “We have to start cultivating a culture of” appreciation and gratitude. Notes that this underlies security conversation. #NYCSC #OWS

Justin has “been seeing this conversation going on for months now;” “the time for talk is over, but I want to suggest we do a day-long…”

Cont’d: “…GA/Spokescouncil that focuses on this issue alone for 8 hours.” Convo happening too many places, going group to group. #NYCSC

Cont’d: “We’ll keep doing that until we as a group take action.” “We have all the parts together, we just have to build consensus.” #NYCSC

Will: “This is my 1st Spokes in awhile, and the reason I didn’t want to come was b/c of disrupters. It nds to be dealt w/. This has…” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…been a good meeting so far,” thanks facilitation and the people in the room for making that possible. #NYCSC #OWS

Ronnie: “I’d just say, hey, let’s have personal accountability, so it’s not like ‘hey, someone is being aggressive towards facilitation’..”

Cont’d: “…it’s also how *we* treat facilitation before it gets escalated. I’ve seen ppl who’ve been most disruptive be the most humble..”

Cont’d: “…because they come to understand that what ppl do when they volunteer to do these things is super difficult.” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “Don’t be aggressive towards anyone, but if you don’t like the job someone’s doing, step up, participate, and do it.” #NYCSC #OWS

Bana: “I feel disrespect is fundamentally the biggest issue we have,” “I think de-escalation is a key pt, but not the answer, b/c just…”

Cont’d: “…having de-escalation be the answer would be reactionary,” we need to be proactive. Aggression takes many forms. #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “I don’t know exactly what the answer is; we’re all on the same page. Ppl need to step up.” #NYCSC #OWS

David’s next: “I’m uncomfortable with the idea that when disrupters start up, that OK, we have de-escalation to take care of it.” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…we have our nice police, or whatever.” Says that instead we should all take responsibility for using non-violent techniques..

Cont’d: …to deal w/ disruption, deal with it together “not by shouting somebody down,” but “learning techniques we can all use.” #NYCSC

Cont’d: “…and take responsibility to use as every person who’s a member of an assembly to help set… I mean, it’s kind of vibing…”

Cont’d: “…the responsibility has to be on all of us; we don’t know exactly what that looks like right now,” but thinks we can figure it out.

Next: “When it comes to facilitators, safety is really important; I’ve seen a lot of hot GAs go on and I’ve always thought facilitators..”

Cont’d: “…should just shut the whole meeting down.” It takes forever to get back on track; it’s weird to her to pretend nothing happened.

“There should be a point where it’s just shut down; it can’t go on.” Next on stack: Negesti. #NYCSC #OWS

Negesti: “Minutes, you are equally if not more important than facilitation. We love you. Just to be clear.” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “But it’s not just physical violence, it’s also violent language, aggression towards facilitators.” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “There are people here who feel if they’re not being physically hurtful, they’re not being hurtful to facilitators, but they are.”

Cont’d; “We should be acting the way we want our children to act. And that’s what I mean when I say safety.” #NYCSC #OWS

Next: “I’m glad we’re coming together about this right now.” Like Minutes, de-escalation can’t always be around. Use non-violent tactics…

Cont’d: …stop what you’re doing, don’t proceed w/ situation, deal w/ problem that’s occurring, don’t point fingers. #NYCSC #OWS

“Don’t keep going about it until it gets to the point where an individual needs to be escorted out.” #NYCSC #OWS

He notes that de-escalation doesn’t always have the same tactics. But “we can all do this, easy.” We can all stop from “flipping our lids.”

Cont’d: “We can’t be everywhere; we’re not trying to be your nightsticks. We’ve got your back,” but to de-escalate outside forces, not us.

Sean: “I’ve been working on this problem, trying to get ppl organized on it for several months,” discussion will be here Friday… #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: …on setting up a grievance process, “but the bigger question is what is this grievance process intended to do?” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d: “Essentially what we need is not just physical de-escalation process, but something along the lines of facilitation de-escalation.”

Sean essentially suggests that our process should become de-sensitized to people who often disrupt them. He’s working on a ‘card’ system.

Sean: “We’re going to be forgiving of ppl, but we all know that repeated behavior from the same individuals” should be noted, tracked…

Cont’d: …and should lead to them being “asked to step outside of our meetings until” they go through a grievance process, still in works.

Nathan affirms idea that volunteers “step up to service position,” notes that no one wants to come to an unsafe meeting anyway. #NYCSC #OWS

He suggests that as a facilitator, the response to disruption is often as big a problem as disruption itself. #NYCSC #OWS

So, Nathan supports having us all take responsibility, but also wants specific ppl w/ role so most at meeting can try to ignore disruptors.

Safer Spaces notes that their community agreements proposal comes back to spokes on the 22nd, asks us to come support it. #NYCSC #OWS

Bana notes that, like many, she is less interested in facilitating due to disruption. But she asks that we all take it seriously, take…

Cont’d: …direct democracy training seriously, that people step up. Also notes that when people demand facilitators control disruption…

Cont’d: …it’s anti-helpful. Also, “the way power and privilege are handled in this movement” is a problem for her; when people are… #NYCSC

Cont’d: …directly aggressive, they’re labeled disrupters, but when people use process in an aggressive way, it’s not dealt with. #NYCSC #OWS

Anthony suggests “we need to check ourselves first, rather than trying to check other people.” Be cool and collected first, then talk.

Cont’d: “If you’re screaming, you’re not calming the situation, you’re pouring gas on the fires.” “We all need to train more ppl and be…”

Cont’d: “…conscious about what’s going on with everything; facilitation isn’t as easy as it looks.” Laughs. “And, forget Monsanto!” #OWS

So, Jo thanks us for being so calm and amazing and patient today. “I feel very comfortable and safe right now.” #NYCSC #OWS

Cont’d; “We usually have a minute or two of facilitation auditing.” Nathan says they did great, but “there were moments when I felt…”

Cont’d: “…the facilitation team was not impartial.” Negesti says they did an excellent job, echoes Nathan, and asks the facilitators…

Negesti says facilitators did excellent job, but asks them “to ask themselves how much space they took up during the meeting.” #NYCSC #OWS

OK, that’s it! Have a great night y’all. Thanks for reading. Questions, comments concerns, you know what it do! #ALLDAY #ALLWEEK #NYCSC #OWS

Comments are closed.