Tweets for Tue, 07 Feb 2012

Posted by & filed under Livetweets.

RT @OWScom: TONIGHT: General Assembly 7PM at 60 Wall St. #ows #infohub #nycga

Getting ready to start #OWS General Assembly at 60 Wall St.! Y’all can follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, @LibertySqGA4. #nycga #ows

Stairs: “Mic check! General Assembly will begin now! So people with proposals, come over here! And stuff!” #nycga #ows

Anthony temperature checks him facilitating – looks good, though he has one heckler. Someone new will join him. Lauren is on Minutes! #nycga

Sage is slated to keep time – he’s explaining his unique method, which involves using buffers to give folks some leeway. #nycga #ows

Sage: “Hi, my name is Sage. Each stack will have a different amount of time.” If we end up w/ too many on stack will recommend breakout.

Anthony notes: it’s a public meeting; ppl can film. He identifies 1 who is, and asks folks to indicate if they’d like to be off camera.

Starting off with Working Group Reportbacks! DA: “First, the Mayday language that DA consensed on; it’s gonna be our spring kickoff.” #nycga

Cont’d: “It’s going to come before GA next Tuesday,” want to consense on the specific language for a national call. It’ll be fun! #nycga

DA: Feb 29th, Portland’s national call to shut down corporations associated with the American Legislative exchange council. #nycga #ows

The #F29 action will start the buildup to Mayday. Announces that they’ll have an action spoke to prepare Sunday, 16 Beaver, 12-4. #nycga

DA cont’d: They’re working with Facilitation to open a broad forum to discuss “diversity of tactics” and events in Oakland. #nycga #ows

They’ll want to have that conversation Friday evening, but they haven’t secured a space yet. “We’d love to get everybody to come, every…”

Cont’d: “…working group is talking about it, everyone’s talking about it.” “I think we’re a lot closer to agreeing with each other than…”

Cont’d: “…a lot of us think we are.” Want to have a big discussion, hopes everyone comes. #nycga #ows

Facilitation’s report back: they’re working hard to get more secure Spokes spaces. For 8 weeks, Wednesday’s SC will be at 110 Schermerhorn.

.@aaronbornstein from Think Tank reports they’re grateful for the effort to structure the conversation about “diversity of tactics.” #nycga

Cont’d: Think Tank will also provide spaces for that convo. Feb 20, Yes Labs, Bill Ayers will speak abt his own personal journey re: DoT.

Bless’ report back: “I’ve got one or two things to say. I don’t care if you agree or disagree.”"If you’re not here to stand for something..”

Cont’d: “…stand the fuck back.” “Whatever you do, do it smartly. And know there’s gonna be some pain behind it.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Oakland, DC. Let’s go further. Iraq. Further. We are occupation. What are we doing? Are we gonna argue, or get something done? OY!”

Kitchen: “We’re continuing to operate out of East NY; we have a volunteer roster.” “Ppl can sign up.” “Hopefully food continues to get…”

Cont’d: “…better and better, and thank you.” Everyone really cheers Kitchen. #nycga #ows

Haywood and Danielle from Accounting: “We have some concerns based on some things that have happened this week that we’d like to…”

Cont’d: “…share with all of you. It’s not our money, it’s your money.” 4 concerns. “Especially if you’ve taken money from Accounting, or..”

Cont’d: “…put your name on anything, please listen up because I’m not happy about this. This is really important.” #nycga #ows

Haywood: “#1, over the weekend, a document was published on google and on nycga that basically put anyone from October to December who…”

Cont’d: “…has taken money out of Accounting, their names and their phone #s, so a pretty serious breach of security.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “What happened is, Accounting put docs online — we respect your privacy and we don’t post names, just working groups, and we…”

Cont’d: “…sure as shit don’t post phone numbers.” Daryl got ahold of logs, posted it to nycga.net. Haywood took it down, Daryl posted…

Cont’d: “…it back up without the phone numbers.” Daryl is an ex-member of Finance; the only person who has been removed from Finance. #nycga

Here’s Daryl, who came running up. Haywood says he also put out other statements. “We bring this up b/c on Feb 2nd, someone tried…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…to take out $1000 in cash from our bank account. We’re going to open up a full investigation.” #nycga #ows

“We had stipulations on security on the account.” There’s only one signature that’s acceptable to the bank, so the bank blocked it. #nycga

Haywood: “Thankfully we’ve got one of the good banks;” to take money out you need two signers. “We’ll continue to be diligent about this.”

Cont’d: “I don’t want to turn this into a big thing; I’ll post something on nycga.net about this.” #nycga #ows

Also, someone named Janet Wilson has been contacting the credit union and the sponsor and WePay and trying to access our accounts. #nycga

“We just wanted to make sure the community was aware of these breaches of the security that we’ve built, to be transparent.” #nycga #ows

Haywood: “So, those are our 4 announcements. I’m not happy but I wanted to bring them to the community.” #nycga #ows

Daryl wants to speak; we’ll temp check hearing him. Looks like he will speak. Stairs notes aft this ppl should follow up on own time.#nycga

Daryl: “2 things: the first thing, the contact info, I missed it. I saw a comprehensive view of how to do accounting, it makes it…”

Cont’d: “…real easy, to do all the work they say they’re doing, all you have to do is type it up and it would all be online.” #nycga #ows

Daryl says he missed the contact info and apologizes, he took it down as soon as he realized. And he took the bank statements too… #nycga

Cont’d: …in order to show it to an accounting, who Daryl says told him it looked “problematic”. #nycga #ows

Daryl is explaining that he “had reason to go look” and doesn’t apologize for any of that. #nycga #ows

Haywood: “#1, stealing people’s mail is a Federal crime.” Anthony steps in indicates we need to move on. Haywood will follow up online.

First proposal tonight is (again) dissolution of Spokescouncil, brought by Nan’s Strong Women Rules… but Nan’s not there. Tabled- next!

So, next is the Anarchism Caucus Formation Proposal! “As anarchists and political theorists we feel that our voices, ideas, and beliefs..”

Cont’d: “…have been marginalized by our comrades in the #OWS community. This caucus will be a platform and community which educates…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…informs and learns about anarchistic and alternative political theory. We seek to end the misinformation and negative…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…stereotypes associated with these political beliefs, and to draw attention to the anarchist principles already inherent in…”

Cont’d: “…our processes and community, in OWS.” They have a mission statement, which is similar to the proposal. #nycga #ows

The mission statement also includes engaging people in discussions on non-hierarchal decision-making structures. #nycga #ows

OK, we’ll stack up clarifying questions! First was about where anarchism is in #OWS. “This consensus-based model is anarchism.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “So, no one here is above anyone else, yet we’re still here getting things done.” Questioner says that cleared a lot up for him.

CQ: “Why a caucus, and not a working group?” A: “I think that our idea of doing this as a caucus vs. a WG is that our structure – we don’t..

Cont’d: “…want to be a working group or use that structure. Also, a lot of the issues that we want to be able to explore, are issues…”

Cont’d: “…that are already being explored in pre-existing caucuses, but we want to be able to create a unity amongst them b/c…”

Cont’d: “.. like, I don’t know how to explain this happening.” “We think there’s a bit of oppression happening.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “Where?” A: “In #OWS and in society at large. We’re forming to draw attention and do away w/ misconceptions re: anarchism.” #nycga

“Many ppl’s first idea of anarchy is chaos, burning things.” “You don’t think non-hierarchal, you don’t think peace, you don’t think…”

Cont’d: “…helping each other, you don’t think community. And that’s what we want to implement.” “We want to make sure we’re not vilified..”

Cont’d: “…for our beliefs.” Someone else: “I think what’s happening right now is exactly why we want a caucus. I think there’s a lot of…”

Cont’d: “…misconception about what we want to talk about and perhaps accomplish in the future.” “The point of a caucus would be…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…to open this dialogue to the larger community.” Wants to answer timely questions now, but caucus gives platform to continue disc.

Sage will give everyone 40 seconds w/ 10 second buffer. Next CQ: “Within the occupy movement, as anarchists, do you feel that you…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…are a marginalized group in this movement? As marginalized as, say, the queer caucus and color caucus?” #nycga #ows

A: “You can’t quantify how oppressed someone is.” “I think a lot of anarchist ideas automatically get shunted aside and if you say…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…you’re an anarchist, people are less apt to hear your opinions. I think that is a form of oppression.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “I still have a similar question. Caucuses are made up of ppl who can’t help what they are. A woman can’t help being a woman…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…a person of color cannot help being a PoC.” Suggests a friendly amendment: “Can you do something in between a working group…”

Cont’d: “…and a caucus so that you can help with everything you’re saying which I think is very valid and very important?” #nycag #ows

Cont’d: “By making it into a caucus, you’re minimizing the importance of the other ones.” A: “Religious is chosen and can be a source of…”

Cont’d: “…oppression. I’d say we need clarification even w/in anarchist community. I.e., I’m a religious anarchist, and I have to be…”

Cont’d: “…scrutinized for my ideas on a daily basis.” “Part of anarchism is being able to dialogue about everybody’s mindset.” #nycga #ows

Tess’ CQ is essentially how they’ll addresss issue of violence. A: “We’re about discussion and we can’t speak for the movement.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “RE: peaceful/non-violent thing. My question; can we turn this into.. a lot of ppl have a disagreement. Since we have that…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…can we be a *respectful* movement?” Feels that is what the issue ultimately comes down to. “People are going to do what they do.”

A: “That stuff relates to actions and how we employ tactics;” but this is an ideological group. “We don’t take one side or another…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…we’d just like to be able to speak inside the movement as anarchists.” “Every individual voice reps the movement.” #nycga

Lopi’s CQ: “Some caucuses, you can’t join w/o meeting certain criteria. Can anyone join the anarchist caucus?” #nycga #ows

A: “Even if you think anarchism is a plague, the scourge of the earth, we invite you to come” and discuss. They already have some… #nycga

Cont’d: …members who don’t identify as anarchist. Someone else says that anarchism basically means the rules become “whatever you can…”

Cont’d: “…get away with.” A: “That’s a legitimate point and we’re asking that our points be taken as legitimate.” Not pertinent to the prop.

OK, we’re now opening up stack for concerns and friendly amendments. First, temp checking extending time for 10 mins. Looks good. #nycga

First concern: “I’m concerned about oppressive language ppl in this movement use about our anarchist friends.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “I came into this with a Hollywood conception of anarchists and have learned a lot. I’m concerned that we need this.” #nycga #ows

Concern: “If you guys already have some rules and structures set in place that aren’t #OWS rules and structure, how can we trust you not…”

Cont’d: “…to veto rules and items that don’t go along with your structure?” A: “We will adhere to principles of solidarity. Anarchy…” #nycga

Cont’d: “Anarchy doesn’t mean no rules, it means no rulers.” Still hold selves to standards, not because of law bt because “we respect ppl.”

OK, now moving to concerns and friendly amendments. “That means we’re moving closer to consensus.” Anthony trying to bring attn back. #nycga

Guy steps up, “we don’t have any more power than anyone else does, we just want to step up.” “There’s no way we can co-opt the mvmnt…”

Cont’d: “…for anarchism. Trust me. Anarchists don’t take things over.” Someone else notes that anarchists don’t fit def of caucuses. #nycga

Joanne’s C: “I have a concern that there’s gonna be a difference in ideologies at OWS and the anarchists,” points to split in mvmnt. #nycga

Cont’d: “On that note, I’d still like to be open-minded and learn more about it.” Camille notes that many ppl have felt excluded b/c…

Cont’d: “…the movement’s not as horizontal and inclusive as it should be.” Says “diversity of tactics” applies to ideology to her. #nycga

A: “We can’t predict the future, but we feel that a lot of the practices that we use, like GAs, like process, are anarchist principles…”

Cont’d: “…we simply want a space to have extended dialogue about it.” Says that if Conservatives had subculture here they should get caucus.

C: “I’m deeply sympathetic to the goals of this proposal; I think the questions here highlight that one of the best things about #OWS will..

Cont’d: “…be to rehabilitate anarchist ideas and tactics.” But feels that this opens up slippery slope about what a Caucus is. #nycga #ows

Notes that Cacuses get special powers in Spokescouncil. His friendly amendment was that they become a reading group or something else.#nycga

Also shouts out that Spokescouncil is also an anarchist model. The proposers will consider the amendment. #nycga #ows

A: “We want to continue being a caucus. Just judging from ppl’s responses.. this GA has proven why we need to be a caucus.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Because ppl believe in these negative stereotypes, and many of them have come out in this meeting.” Someone notes that… #nycga

Cont’d: …people don’t just talk about beliefs, “they act on them.” Nods to Sacco and Vanzetti. “People die for these beliefs.” #nycga

Someone else proposes that instead of being a caucus, they should be an affinity group. Notes that if Nazis showed up… #nycga #ows

Cont’d: …they might want to form a caucus too. “I respect that you want to have this group and these discussions; I’m with the Library.”

Cont’d: “The Library provides info to people; we’re not a caucus. Please be an affinity group.” A: “Nazis don’t adhere to principles of…”

Cont’d: “…solidarity.” And also he doesn’t think anyone is going to oppress the Library. #nycga #ows

PoI: “Books do get burned and thrown out; Librarians can become marginalized.” #nycga #ows

Melanie’s been wanting to find more about anarchists. “Up until recently, if you’d asked me, I’d have said “no, no rules? b/c I’m…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…a teacher.” Respects what they’re trying to do. But as a member of a caucus who’s “truly oppressed, to the actual extent of…”

Cont’d: “…violence against us in the movement. If you are a caucus, it will diminish the meaning of other caucuses.” #nycga #ows

Melanie’s friendly amendment is that they find something between caucus and affinity group, so they don’t blur ideas of oppression.

Camille responds. “The verbal violence in this movement has gotten out of control; I’m having a difficult time showing up.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Part of what we hope will happen if we are a caucus is we will stand with existing caucuses.” #nycga #ows

Joseph: “We have to further look at the idea of anarchy as a possible helpful tool.” #nycga #ows

Marisa: “I’m an anarchist, of the collectivist communist variety.” Wants to have this conversation around this movement. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “This assembly and other conversations” indicate a lack of understanding of “what we’re actually doing in this community.”

Cont’d: “All of this — GA, working groups, standards — is rooted in anarchism.” “All this practice w/o a lot of understanding of theory.”

Marisa thinks “it’s important to distinguish between a political caucus and identity caucus.” Slippery slope if we allow political.. #nycga

Cont’d: “…caucuses to exist.” Points to political parties in our current system and what happens. #nycga #ows

Proposers: “We respect consensus and this community.” If GA doesn’t pass as caucus, will change name, but will continue to organize. #nycga

Lopi: “First of all, I don’t ID as anything but a two-legger, but ideology aside, I’ve a concern that we’re not acknowledging that…” #nycga

Cont’d “…anarchism is marginalized in society; it’s the new terrorism.” Supports the work of this group, caucus or not. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “It’s so evident that this is so needed.” Is cool with whatever community decides it will be. #nycga #ows

A is that if they’re able to be caucus, part of #OWS, people in #OWS and outside will better make connection between #OWS and anarchism.

“If we wanted to separate ourselves from the movement, we wouldn’t be trying to be an #OWS caucus.” #nycga #ows

C: “I want ppl to listen to definition of what a caucus is.” It’s about marginalization; feels this would corrupt that meaning. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “I’m also concerned about consensus,” and feels that people who ID as anarchist have disrupted it. [Mmmmmm.... -Ed.] #nycga

A: “None of us are here to disrupt; we’re here to participate. We love this movement.” Everyone proposing this has been here since Day 1.

Cont’d: “We respect consensus 100%. It’s things like that, that people have been shouting terrorist in my ear” during this convo. [! -Ed.]

Nicole: “I think you should exist, do work you’re doing, but calling it a caucus is fucking insensitive and de-legitimizes the…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…the marginalization of people of color and women in this movement.” “This is what marginalization looks like, and to call…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…yourself a caucus? I’m incensed. I’ve never been so angry. This disrespects what it means to be truly marginalized.” #nycga #ows

A: “We don’t want to minimize how anyone else feels,” or the importance of the other caucuses. #nycga #ows

PoI: “We had a part time caucus during our occupation,” to rep folks who were involved part time. Someone pts out it was a working group.

C: “There are not clear borders to this group. What you call anarchist is a mutable thing; a caucus” needs to pertain to things w/ borders.

Cont’d: “It doesn’t have clear borders to it, so it can’t be a caucus.” Think the proposers are discussing what to do next. #nycga #ows

A: “We’ve all expressed understanding with the concerns that were brought up,” but consensed not to accept any friendly amendments. #nycga

The proposers are restating the proposal: an anarchism caucus that advocates anarchist theory and “to end the negative stereotypes” about it

Stairs now temperature checking the GA about whether they want to move into consensus process. Looks positive. #nycga #ows

Stairs: “At this point of time, I’d like to ask if there are any standasides.” That means they won’t block it, but can’t support it. #nycga

Stairs: “There are 9 standasides to this proposal.” Asks for permission to skip ppl speaking to them due to time constraints. Warm response.

Stairs now asking for blocks. “Blocks are serious moral, ethical, or safety concerns”- if it passed, you’d leave the movement. #nycga #ows

There are 10 blocks. Stairs will give each block 30 seconds tops to explain grievances to the proposers. #nycga #ows

Many blocks passing on explaining them because the concerns have been expressed. The fifth block: “I think they should do a teach-in…”

Cont’d: “..and inform people, and then we can have another vote about whether they should be a caucus.” Proposes as friendly amndmnt. #nycsc

Nicole: “I just want to point out to you that those who felt strongly enough to block were all women and 4 PoC.” #nycga #ows

The proposers accept the friendly amendment. The proposal is tabled, will continue convo at Occupy Town Square this weekend. #nycga #ows

Stairs invites proposers to speak to GA before leaving. “We love you! We love all of you, regardless of the outcome.” #nycga #ows

Next proposal is from a breakout group of Kitchen! It’s to apply for a permit to have “Occupalooza” in Central Park in August. Wow. #nycga

Here’s the Kitchen proposal for Occupalooza: http://t.co/YOXf6DHI #nycga #ows

Proposer says there is legal precedent that should make it impossible for them to decline the permit. #nycga #ows

Proposer feels like the event could help get “the 58%” middle class folks like her. She feels she’s unsafe from repression just going to GA.

“We can use this event as a springboard” for even larger events in the fall or around the world. #nycga #ows

The proposers intend to do all the fundraising for the event on their own; they just want our solidarity and to do our thing there. #nycga

CQ: “Why the 18th, not the 17th” of August? A: “It’s a Saturday.” Feel if we plan it in advance we can get European tourists. #nycga #ows

RE: August 18th, Saturday, “People work.” They want working ppl to be able to go. “We need the ppl who are off work, students…” #nycga

Someone asks if others have done this recently, answer is that last year or the year before there was a 68,000 person event on Great Lawn.

CQ: “When you apply for a permit, do you have to do safety studies, traffic, environmental concerns, reseeding of grass?” #nycga #ows

A: “Submitting the form is $25, it takes a few weeks to get back.” The policy is to work w/ people on venue, feel we have right to do this.

Proposer also wants legal’s help to determine the exact legal sitch, and they know they have to coordinate lots of logistics for big show.

Proposer: “We hope they’ll look at the permit app and go, “oh, shit, what the fuck are we going to do about that?” #nycga #ows

PoI: “In 1968,” there was something in Central Park that 400,000 ppl came to. “16 people put it on.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “I love the idea of being in Central Park, but I think you need to think a little bit more” about the staging and bands. “I think…”

Cont’d: “..it becomes a different thing. The Occupy sensibility is about us coming together, talking, doing working groups.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “I’m not opposed to it, but I think it’s worth asking whether a concert is in line with” principles of #OWS. #nycga #ows

A: “It’s about Outreach;” want to bring musicians’ draw to Central Park. “They want to come see you, and also to see us.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We want this to be a festive environment. This is about occupying and celebrating together.” #nycga #ows

Another proposer answers: “I think part of putting in application and permits is an action in and of itself.” “Saying, yo, you can’t…”

Cont’d: “..stop us from having a concert.” And if they try, gives us more action opportunities. And we can have picnic instead. #nycga #ows

Stairs clarifies the proposal. “This is about whether they can apply for the permit and start the ball rolling for this.” #nycga #ows

Stairs now opening stack for concerns and friendly amendments. C/FA: “This runs the risk of turning into an awesome event but that..” #nycga

Cont’d: “..also kind of gets folded into a kind of capitalistic, oh, let’s spend $ and buy some funnel cake kind of thing.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “There’s going to be ppl who try to make $ off of this, and I hope you’ll keep that in mind as you get to next steps, and not…”

Cont’d: “…let it turn into an event that gets co-opted in any way.” A: “They’re already trying to co-opt us, make $ off us. This is…”

Cont’d: “..going to be a teach-in, a coming together.” Will be free, will provide as much free food as we can. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “The hangers-on will be hanging on.” Feels we can’t do anything about it. #nycga #ows

Next C: “Do you know if they have anything scheduled in that area during that time?” A: “AFAICT, there’s nothing scheduled that day.” #nycga

Jeff suggests maybe if someone else wants to do it with us, they can apply and we can save some of the hassle. #nycga #ows

A: “Part of this is putting in the application, getting the ball rolling.” If they approve it, they can go forward. #nycga #ows

Someone asks if they’ll have ppl selling it. “We might have food vendors,” “maybe Ben and Jerry’s can make us a flavor for the day.” #nycga

OK, that was it. Proposers will restate. “It’s pretty simple: to remit an application to the NYC Parks Dept for a permit to hold…” #nycga

Cont’d: “..an all-day expo and free concert called Occupalooza.” “Will have music and spoken word from the stage and” outreach. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “And, at no cost to the application.” Stairs temp checks moving forward. “Sweet.” Any standasides? No. Blocks? No! CONSENSUS! #nycga

Cheers! @shawncarrie and many others are dancing! #nycga #ows

Stairs notes we have limited time for another proposal here at 60 Wall; moves we go to Park and continue. “Looks pretty mixed.” #nycga #ows

Stairs: “Who’d like to go to the park?” Mmm. I don’t think so. #nycga #ows

The last proposal is a question to community about Ellis Roberts, suggesting that #OWS help him with his commissary fund. #nycga #ows

It’s about the principle more generally though: does #OWS assist folks who end up in longer-term detention, like Ellis at Riker’s island?

Here’s the text of the proposal: http://t.co/jYLIpMPg “He’s arrested on and facing completely erroneous charges.” #nycga #ows

The proposer suggests that we allot a monthly amount of $220 to his commissary, “to buy food and make phone calls.” #nycga #ows

“His family is primarily in Florida and Pennsylvania.” Want to make sure solidarity does not end after a comrade is detained. #nycga #ows

Stairs nods to spending freeze, says that since the proposal pertains to someone who is in jail, question is whether part of bail fund…

Cont’d: …can go to commissary. Camille, who helped w/ bail fund proposal, notes that including legal fees & other costs was declined by GA.

Stairs suggests that we breakout and chat about this on the way to continuing the conversation at the park. #nycga #ows

Shawn’s PoP: “They haven’t kicked us out yet; I don’t know if we need to move until they tell us to move.” #nycga #ows

141120631 – Robert Nilon’s commissary fund, if anyone wants to help him out by putting money into that. #nycga #ows

GA will be in recess while folks move from 60 Wall to Liberty Square. Back in a bit. #nycga #ows

Proposal for Commissary: Passed by Modified Consensus #ows #nycga

One Response to “Tweets for Tue, 07 Feb 2012”