Tweets for Thu, 02 Feb 2012

Posted by & filed under Livetweets.

Hi fam! The #OWS General Assembly is starting now! Y’all can follow here & at @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4 for overflow.

.@PoweredByCats and Anthony will co-facilitate tonight! @wookietv will take stack, and @CMarieDaniel will keep time! #nycga #ows

There are some folks w/ proposals that didn’t check in; Stairs (our facilitators) are currently checking to see if anyone’s here to present.

Sounds like there are 2 proposals, 1 proposed reading, & potentially a proposal from Nan (again) to dissolve the Spokescouncil. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…with us is the Tech blog: tech.nycga.net.” Will be doing training Monday from 12-6 at Charlotte’s Place on how to use nycga.net…

Cont’d: …for groups, and for how to set up their own blogs on that site. Also, computer security will be first at right around noon. #nycga

Now opening stack for working group reportbacks! TechOps: “We’ve been working on a lot of new projects; the best way to keep up…”#nycga #ows

[Sorry, those got out of order due to a timeout. That last one precedes the 2 posted prior to it.] #nycga #ows

Brett notes that we’ll be strict on time due to a hard stop mandated by 60 Wall’s 10pm closing time. #nycga #ows

Minutes/Facilitation report back together: They went to last night’s Bushwick GA! “Last night, we had another GA, second in 2 weeks…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…it was more lk open spaces — had skill sharing on HTML, and talked about gentrification.” Dave, others from facilitation helped.

.@dovidmoishe agrees. “I think it was the first time they felt they could come together and get something done.” Next one: Loom, 7pm, Thurs.

Anthony steps in: “GA is a public, open meeting, which means anyone with a camera can come in and film. But please let ppl know…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…so that people who are uncomfortable with it can indicate that and you can avoid them.” #nycga #ows

Camille, Legal and Jail Support: “I made this announcement at the end of GA today; this is a damage control kind of announcement…” #nycga

Cont’d: “We had issues this past weekend; ppl were arraigned w/ public defenders Friday and Sunday. It’s something to keep in mind…”

Cont’d: “…if you’re planning autonomous events, please get some NLG people there. But right now there may not be one at your arraignment…”

Essentially NLG is stretched thin; they had a full caseload pre-#OWS. “They weren’t expecting this to be that many arrests… for this long.”

Daniel, Facilitation! “Today at our meeting, we discussed how now that the #SC is mostly functional, and we have a spending freeze..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…we have much more time for discussion at the GA, which is great.” So facilitation will be collecting questions that folks want..

Cont’d: ..addressed at the GA. Facilitation will open a Google Doc and either select or pick randomly, topics for discussion. #nycga #ows

“So, look for that, especially w/ working groups, and if you want to get on it and you’re not in a working group, come see me.” #nycga #ows

Chris, from DA! “About 2 months ago, #OccupyLA and #OccupyLongBeach put out a call for a #GeneralStrike on May 1st.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “This call has now been picked up by about 25 occupations; it’s gonna be huge. We’ve been meeting for about 3 weeks in DA and…”

Cont’d: “…as a subgroup to DA. We finally consensed on language that the DA group agrees to for this action in solidarity with LA.” #nycga

Cont’d: “Our framework includes new terminology so that folks not behind GS maybe can get behind our call.” It’ll come before GA soon.

Language: “MayDay 2012; #OWS stands in solidarity for calls with a day w/o the 99%, a General Strike, and more.” Calling for a day of no…

Cont’d: …work, no school, no shopping, no banking, etc. #nycga #ows

Nan’s announcement. “Newark, NJ is having a festival Feb 11-12, a pre-valentine’s thing for family. Bring your wallet and cash, b/c…”

Cont’d: “…we’re gonna have different games and things like that.” For family and to get to know each other. At #OccupyNewark. #nycga #ows

Reportback from Camille about Ellis: “Ellis had an out-of-state warrant; we had bail money for him.” Is “solid #OWS”, everyone knows him.

“Basically, he was put on $2k bail, but b/c the DA in PA wants him extradited back to PA for the warrant he had there, which if he had…”

Cont’d: “…the proper representation for his arraignment,” it wouldn’t have been the case. “We’re just hoping for the best for him; I’m..”

Cont’d: “…really fucked up about this, sorry to use that language.” #nycga #ows

Facilitation lets us know we’re meeting 2pm Saturday at 60 Wall to talk about how to get spaces for Spokescouncil and avoid cancellations.

Sage is bringing forward an emergency proposal in response to the fact that Housing is out of Metrocards already for the night. #nycga #ows

Sage: “Facilitation was supposed to tell you it’s up to you to decide whether or not this is an emergency proposal; I’m not here to..”#nycga

Cont’d: “…dominate your time; it’s up to you.” Notes that Metrocards should be available during GA and Spokescouncil, at meetings. #nycga

“Today, I showed up at 7pm for the GA, and the Metrocards were already handed out. What this means to me is that somebody needs…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…to explain what they were thinking, and why they decided to hand out Metrocards at 6pm, before the GA starts, and I want..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…their Metrocard! Personally! B/c I’m not superman; I’m not trying to rescue anyone else; I can barely take care of myself on…”

Cont’d: “…a daily basis.” “I rely on that Metrocard; I have to risk my freedom 2-4 times a day all week just to get here” without one.#nycga

“It’s against my religion to cure symptoms; I want to go after causes.” Refused someone else’s card; wants the distributor’s. #nycga #ows

First CQ: “I have $13 in my wallet, and now I have $3, b/c I wasn’t able to get my metro card.” Wants to see improvement too. #nycga #ows

Sage: “Also, Metrocards on Tuesday were unavailable due to a lack of accountability w/ Accounting. Ppl went to get $ from…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…Accounting, and they didn’t have money for the metro card team.” Brett notes we need to decide whether this… #nycga #ows

…qualifies as an emergency proposal. Notes that since Sage doesn’t specifically have a proposal, we could try forming one together. #nycga

Stairs: “If you want to have this conversation now, twinkle up; if you don’t, twinkle down.” Also, you can mid-twinkle if you’re not sure.

Stairs: “That was more positive than not; not everyone participated.” Notes that since there are 2 fewer agenda items than intended…

…we should probably go for it. Brett asks if anyone has any suggests for some sort of proposal to address this issue. #nycga #ows

Anthony suggests we break into small breakouts for 5 minutes… but Sean has a PoI: “I talked to Cynthia; she was doing someone a favor…”

Cont’d:”…they gave out 80 Metrocards yesterday, there were none Tuesday, and 20 today.” They still have 20, but feels we may need more.

Stairs: “The Metrocards are for the inner workings of the movement, so it needs to be taken to Spokescouncil.” Sean notes GA passed… #nycga

Cont’d: …the spending freeze, so if we need to make an exception for Metrocards, it needs to happen here at GA. #nycga #ows

We temp check the discussion again: it’s mixed still. Someone asks if we can even solve this w/o the Housing / point people present. #nycga

Someone talked to Jeff and he says Cynthia had all the cards, so there actually aren’t anymore cards. #nycga #ows

Sage: “There’s an inherent problem: b/c we’re so anti-hierarchy, there’s no built-in custom for training the person that replaces you…”

Cont’d: “…so that didn’t happen, so the person who handed them out had no idea to hold onto them until GA.” #nycga #ows

Stairs suggests we put a hold on it and wait for Jeff to get here, and we’ll talk to him on the side and see what can be done. #nycga #ows

So, we’ll move onto the Accountability proposal from Town Planning. Sean is passing it out. #nycga #ows

OK, here’s the Accountability proposal: http://t.co/f0borj9x #nycga #ows

Sean notes that it starts with verbatim copies of the Principles of Solidarity and the Statement of Autonomy, and that the rest is wordy.

Sean is reading the proposal now. It’s pretty long; the gist is to empower the GA to “sever ties” w/ those who don’t follow the Principles..

Cont’d: …of Solidarity, the Statement of Autonomy, or other community agreements. It says folks who don’t exclude themselves… #nycga #ows

Cont’d: …by essentially putting themselves outside the definition of #OWS if they don’t act in a way consistent w/ agreements. #nycga #ows

OK, we’re now beginning the consensus process, starting with hearing clarifying questions. #nycga #ows

CQ: “This seems like a preamble; not a proposal – could be boiled down to a single bulletpoint, that the GA can sever contact…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…with an individual” who moves outside of our principles. “Can this be one solid paragraph/bulletpoint we can consense on?” #nycga

Sean answers he warned us it was a bit long, but feels like the explanation, particularly the benefits to be denied to an individual..#nycga

Cont’d: ..is important. But he summarizes, essentially says the revocation of benefits is the meat of the proposal. #nycga #ows

Razor’s CQ: “I’d like to know the names of the ppl that wrote this.” A: “Myself [Sean] and Robert from Town Planning.” #nycga #ows

Razor: “This is what a business does when they’re locking down property rights. Clearly a lawyer had input on this somewhere..” #nycga #ows

Sean says no, neither of them are lawyers. But Razor says “this is scary shit, and I do not understand this in an inclusive movement.”#nycga

Sean says it was developed just within Town Planning. Razor says his humorous analogy, “Johnny the Homocidal Protester”, is triggering.

Razor: “I don’t find that remotely funny; maybe it’s funny if you haven’t been through hell.” Says there’s no place for this in safe space.

Nan’s CQ: “This is a movement for everybody,” says Sean’s writing is exclusive. “The government excludes the 99%; if…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…you’re saying you’re trying to exclude, that’s some scary shit.” Nan says this is particularly alarming b/c a black male was..

Cont’d: …excluded from Spokescouncil after a white man didn’t give him a metro card and he put his hands on him. [Not what happened. -Ed.]

Nan also accuses Sean of stalking her online. “How will you put this forward without racism?” #nycga #ows

Sean notes that the GA would have to consense on exclusion, and if that could happen “it’s probably not racist.” #nycga #ows

Nan: “People of color, they’re bringing a process, and I think you’re taking away that process.” Safer Spaces’ proposal, she means. #nycga

Proposer again chooses to not respond. CQ: “I hear those concerns, but — like he said, this is kind of a preamble. I’m not sure how this..”

Cont’d: “…could be practical. If someone does something detrimental to the movement, a necessary fact for him to be excluded, it would..”

Cont’d: “…have to be, like, pre-meditated damage to the movement itself.” Notes emotion rises up and shit happens. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “So, nobody is really without recourses to come back — cut off — there shouldn’t be something to cut off, can’t come back…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…unless it’s serious.” Sean notes it would definitely only happen in serious cases — serious or repetitive. #nycga #ows

Brett notes we’ve expired our original time and an additional 10 minutes consented to earlier; we’ll temp check now to see.. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: …if GA wants to continue, “otherwise the proposal will be tabled for further development and can come back.” #nycga #ows

Stairs says the temp check is positive; continuing on with stack. CQ: “On the last bulletpoint you mentioned, I’m wondering practically…”

Cont’d: “…how someone can lose the ability to say they’re part of #OWS.” Sean notes that when Media had this issue, they made a public..

Cont’d: …statement. So, we can disavow that person. That’s about it. #nycga #ows

Someone suggests that “Black Bloc” tactics might be a good example to work with. Lots of down twinkles, and he seems hesitant. #nycga #ows

He clarifies: “Well, you just gave us this sheet on where to draw the line, and I think a good solid example would be Black Bloc tactics.”

I think a lot of ppl want to set him straight, as he’s misusing the term, but Stairs are trying to steeeer us back to this proposal. #nycga

Someone asks what experience Town Planning has that gives them credibility on this proposal. Sean notes that personally, he experienced…

Cont’d: …abuse in his home growing up, and that he was the coordinator for a LARP. Questioner wants to know what his “Town Planning”…#nycga

Cont’d: …experience is. “If he doesn’t have Town Planning experience, why is he on Town Planning for the movement?” #nycga #ows

Sumumba asks him what this has to do with park agreements; Sean notes this extends more broadly and reasserts applicability. #nycga #ows

.@dovidmoishe: “I understand this proposal isn’t about excluding ppl, but excluding behaviors that are not consistent with our…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…principles as a movement, and when those behaviors undermine our process and are destroying the mvmnt, those behaviors..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…are what’s targeted, not the invididual.” Feels also there should be a road back for anyone excluded. #nycga #ows

Stairs: “More a stment of support; a little out of process.” That’s it for clarifying ?s, now stacking up concerns/friendly amendments.

Concern: “I’m concerned about the community agreement and code of conduct being forthcoming,” “if we’re going to be..” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…talking about behaviors we should be specific about what behaviors we do and do not accept.” #nycga #ows

A: “Safer Spaces are working on the proposals; it’s been to Spokescouncil and is being revised.” Concerner just wants to make sure… #nycga

Cont’d: ..the proposal remains linked to specific behaviors. Sean says that’s the idea. #nycga #ows

C: “You talked about a restorative justice process in the works, this is a friendly amendment, would you be willing to hold off…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…until that process is completed?” Sean asks to temp check the GA about waiting until grievance process exists. #nycga #ows

Both Stairs and proposer agree the temperature check looks positive; but Sean wants to finish stack on concerns/FAs. 4 more? #nycga #ows

Stairs wants to have ppl talk to Sean outside of the main process, so that someone from DC can make their proposal before leaving. #nycga

.@OccupyDC! “Sorry, we need to be on an #interoccupy call tonight at 9pm!” Two folks from #ODC in Freedom Plaza. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We didn’t bring copies of the proposal, but it was posted, and it came out of the #OWS Direct Action group.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We brought it to our GA and they approved it. It’s called “NowDC”, the National Occupation of Washington DC. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We’re asking occupiers around the country to come to DC and also to join in the planning.” #nycga #ows

First week, they’ll set up camp. Second week, occupiers will share skills and experiences and gain organizing skills. #nycga #ows

Also, they’ll work on organizing structures outside of current structures: alternative economies, sustainable food networks, etc.#nycga #ows

“The subtitle for this is Occupy Power; it’s Occupying the center of power but also showing our power.” Asking if NYC is in #solidarity.

The website is NowDC.org; working groups are there and minutes are posted on website, and every Thurs at 9pm they have their org call.

“We started collecting solidarity statements last Sunday; there are 10 so far.” It’s a slow process. “Since we have 10, that makes..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…it a national #Occupy action under #Interoccupy rules; we really want #OWS to be a part of that.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “You discussed setting up camps for this: how are the recent actions by police in DC affecting this?” #nycga #ows

A: “So far, both camps are still open; it’s very strange rules in DC. First, on the Federal Parks, you’re allowed to have a 24-hour vigil..”

Cont’d: “…you’re allowed to have tents, just not to sleep.” “We deeply meditate.” Also, you can sleep on streets in DC legally. #nycga #ows

“So, that’s part of the #Occupy challenge, and we’ll fight it as we fight it.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “Why March and not April?” A: “We wanted to start it shortly after spring began, and we didn’t know Congress wouldn’t return…” #nycga

Cont’d “…until the 16th. But we thought about our movement and how it’s really us that holds the power, so maybe it’s not such a bad thing.”

“Plus Congress not being in town means the media has nothing to do but cover us!” #nycga #ows

CQ was about Congress. “In our view, it doesn’t matter who you put into Congress or the White House right now- system doesn’t work.” #nycga

Notes that the call they’re having at 9pm is about how to shift power nonviolently. #nycga #ows

Next, Concerns. Drew: “So, is there any specific help that you need from #OWS to put on the record, just so we’re aware of it & can assist?”

A: They want folks to join working groups, especially DA, and to help with website and social media, Twitter, etc. #nycga #ows

A cont’d: “We hope you’ll join and help to shape it.” Don’t expect everyone to come down for whole month. Also, you can submit workshops…

Cont’d: …for the social forum. Everything from learned lessons, to technical stuff, livestream. “We want to build the movement’s strength..

Cont’d: “…through this social forum.” They want to be as flexible and useful as they possibly can. #nycga #ows

C: “My concern is, a lot of groups come and say, twinkle on my x. And I don’t know what our actual support is by twinkling up and down…”

Cont’d: “…or blocking it, b/c I’m an autonomous person, and if I support it, I’m going to support it. Even if it gets blocked…” #nycga

Cont’d: “So, that’s my concern with basically all proposals of this type.” #nycga #ows

A: “We’ve made that pt; whether you consense to join or not, we certainly invite everyone to coming.” “That’s also why we like…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…the word #solidarity better than endorsement.” “We just want to get as many people involved as we can.” #nycga #ows

Sean, the CQ, responds- #solidarity is mutual having each others’ backs, not sure it’s different from endorsement or what GA can promise.

Nan’s C is that someone else came to get solidarity and was turned down. “Occupy The Road”? “I’m concerned, b/c what..” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “..are we telling those people?” Says it’s egocentric. “If we say we’re the 99% and we’re everybody,” we have to stand up w/ them.

OK, that’s it for Concerns. Any friendly amendments? No! Temperature check to ask how we’re feeling… very, very good. Proposers will restate

“We’re seeking your solidarity for a National Occupation of Washington DC, beginning in March and going through April.” #nycga #ows

First, Stairs will ask for standasides, and then blocks. Anthony reminds us that blocks indicate serious moral, ethical, or safety concerns.

Carrie’s Standaside: she doesn’t feel comfortable endorsing an occupation that we may not have much say into. #nycga #ows

Shawn also stood aside for reasons indicated earlier. There’s a third stand aside… “are there any blocks?” No! Consensus! #nycga #ows

OK, so now Jeff from Housing will come up and explain Metrocards issue. “I want to state again, the GA policy- 120 Metrocards a week…”

Cont’d: “…this week, we did not receive the $ on time; Accounting had other priorities Tuesday.” Gave away 80 last night, should be 40…

Cont’d: “I’m concerned because 40 should have been enough.” Ppl who stepped up didn’t get trained, so maybe didn’t follow procedure. #nycga

Cont’d: “At least one of the ppl who signed up for this evening I’ve seen take Metrocards for personal use.” “If you were here 7, 7:30..”

Cont’d: “…and you did not get a Metrocard, there’s a problem.” Wants to make sure that there is accountability, account for all forms.#nycga

Jeff doesn’t think we need to buy more, thinks we need to get accountability for cards we already bought. #nycga #ows

Nan asks “so do we not get Metrocards, or what?” Jeff says he hopes we find them and need to find them first before he can tell us. #nycga

Next proposal! It’s from Aaron. It’s not a proposal, “this is something I read in my life that came back to me.” I’ll film this for y’all…

Aaron just read this Emma Goldman excerpt here: http://t.co/bXxc5edL #nycga #ows

We’ve opened the floor to responses. Razor notes the irony of quoting Emma Goldman, who was violent after being left out of… #nycga #ows

Cont’d: …planning the revolution, and then at the same time consider proposals to exclude people. “It’s bullshit,” Razor says. #nycga #ows

I’ll post the video of that. Anthony: “We’ve completed our agenda! Fuck Monsanto!” Next, Announcements. #nycga #ows

First announcement: “Hi! I’m working on a website called “Occupy Stories”, the vision is to archive and amplify first-hand experiences..”

Cont’d: “…with #OWS, not just here but all over the country.” Oakland, Miami; “I think we all have a lot of experiences here that are..”

Cont’d: “…worth keeping in 1 place.” OccupiedStories.com; “If you have something you’ve already written or want to write, we’ll publish it.”

Next, Patrick: “Just an update from the Vision and Goals team; we’re bringing the latest version of the statement Feb 14th.” “We made..”

Cont’d: “…some changes, we tried to integrate the things that we heard.” Will have a link on site so you can find it easily. #nycga #ows

Sumumba thanks us for coming out, and the Outreach group is “now going to be in East Flatbush Saturday to help them start a GA!” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “It can’t be a revolution if it’s just us down here at Wall Street.” Meet at 6:30 Mon, 60 Wall. Want to liberate NYC, America!#nycga

Sean notes that the Grievance Process-in-process will be discussed at 6:30 pm tomorrow night at the Quaker Society in Brooklyn. #nycga #ows

Maria, from OccupyZurich in Switzerland! “It was very nice to attend an #NYCGA; I have plenty of questions, so if you want to meet after..”

Cont’d: “…come to me.” Cool! Welcome! #nycga #ows

Someone named “Naut”? Wants to start an “OccupyVoters” group to target issues in NYC starting w/ City Council, to phone/pressure ppl. #nycga

No details yet, but he’ll come back to GA when he has them. @raviahmad from Outreach notes they’ll have orientation Saturday, 12pm, 60 Wall.

Ravi: “If you want to just talk to new people, please feel free.” They hang out and help plug people into stuff to do w/ #OWS! #nycga #ows

Anthony: “Ellis’ court date is tomorrow morning; please show up at Court in Brooklyn at Supreme Court, 9am, 3rd floor.” #nycga #ows

Brett thanks us for our patience. “If you have any feedback for either of us, we’d be happy to hear it! Thank you!” #nycga #ows

OK everyone! I’ll upload that video ASAP, otherwise that’s it for the GA! Thanks for following along everyone! #nycga #ows

Quick announcement frm the @LibertySqGA team- in coalition w/ OWSNYC & other streamers/citizen journos, we’ve been working on something new!

More on that soon. It’s gonna be great. [Questions, concerns, comments on tonight's GA, hit me up @diceytroop! Thanks fam! -Ed.] #nycga #ows

Comments are closed.