Tweets for Sat, 24 Dec 2011

Posted by & filed under Livetweets.

RT @OWScom: TONIGHT: ARTS + CULTURE EVENT: Candle light vigil at Liberty Plaza, 9pm. The candles are badass works of art. #ows

RT @NEREphotography: Badass Candle Light Vigil Tonight, Christmas Eve #LibertyPlaza 9pm Mourn our park and our rights; light to a brigh …

Hi fam! Liberty Square GA is starting nowish! Follow here and at @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySquareGA4! #nycga #ows

First up tonight, the Unsettling Occupation! “This Thursday, December 29th, we want to gather for a commemoration of the masscre…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…at Wounded Knee.” Wish to open dialogue with Native Americans and recognize the post-colonial struggles we all face. #nycga #ows

“We have 2 activists and educators who are joining us from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, where the unemployment rate..”

Cont’d: “…is approximately 85 to 90%. We’re also lucky to be working with an organization in New York and will be featuring an activist..”

Cont’d: “…and our friend named Fire Horse and an 81-year-old activist performance artist named Gloria who’s going to blow yr mind.”

Cont’d: “The event will take place Thursday at Irondale in Brooklyn, which is accessible by lots of trains.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We’re going to have an important conversation about the meaning of ‘occupation’ and how we can be more just in our attitude…”

Cont’d: “…and our love and our action.” So tonight, they’re asking for funding: $2687. “If it’s OK, I can read the breakdown.” #nycga #ows

Breakdown: $1,107 for flight from Rapid City to NY for Jake Little, “a nationally-recognized American Indian activist w/o own funds…”

Cont’d: “…we’re asking for another $130 to hook him up with a Metrocard, plus a ticket to Jersey, where he’s staying w/ Chris Hedges.”

“We’re asking for $500 to use the space at Irondale; it’s a big discount only covering electricity and cleanup staff.” #nycga #ows

“$400 for art materials for Gloria, $50 for Gloria to get here, plus $500 for candles and art materials so we can gather together here…”

Cont’d: “…to remember the loss of lives at Wounded Knee and to make a commitment at #OWS to support ongoing native struggles…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…and for natives and non-natives to come together as allies to love each other and fight together.” #nycga #ows

OK, that’s the proposal. CQ stack now open. Justin’s CQ: “What WG is presenting this and what does this WG do on a regular basis..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…to achieve the goals of this proposal?” A: “This is coming from the Direct Action WG and it’s the beginning of a relationship..”

Cont’d: “…between a DA subgroup and this NYC organization called Amerinda (sp?) which will yield small and large actions in 2012.”#nycga

Justin is confused still. “This sounds like something from Indigenous Working Group.” Says he’s unsure of spending $ to bring ppl when…

Cont’d: ..we’re not in the Park. A: “We think it’s important to start thinking of occupation in many, many different ways, b/c occupying…”

Cont’d: “…physical spaces is considered violent by many who live on land already occupied by force.” #nycga #ows

“This is important at a time when our movement is redefining ourselves beyond literal spaces.” #nycga #ows

RE: “Jake Little, we feel this is an important step in connecting #OWS here w/ other #occupy movements across country and to start a..”

Cont’d: “…dialogue about how we can be more radical about occupation and how to reach ppl who feel occupying spaces is violent to them…”

Cont’d: “…because we’re not addressing these issues of colonialism.” #nycga #ows

Justin says he supports the proposal, but his questions haven’t been answered. They’ll speak afterwards. #nycga #ows

CQ: “Have you looked for any sponsors or had any fundraisers?” A: “No, we’ve not had much time to put this together.” Trying to time it…

Cont’d: …in coalition w/ Janice Richards’ presence on this date.” CQ: “What’s the capacity at Irondale?” A: “300-350.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “Why have you waited until this date, and why not ask Arts and Culture to access their art supplies/budget?” #nycga #ows

A: “We were planning this for a couple of weeks; there were a few variables and didn’t think we could present it until they were definite.”

A cont’d: “The plane has already been bought by a very generous support w/ credit card debt who would like to be reimbursed for the ticket.”

CQ: “Maybe you should have consulted the GA before you purchased the ticket?” A: “Yes.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “What’s the time-sensitivity, why does this have to be Thursday?” A: “It’s the 122nd anniversary of Wounded Knee.”#nycga #ows

CQ: “What kind of promotion/advertising have you done up until this point?” A: “We’ve gotten word out on Amerinda’s website and the radio…

Cont’d: “…show of [two of the activists] who will continue promoting it.” And they’ve reached out to #OWS websites and they have… #nycga

Cont’d: …promotional materials ready to go. Trish is next… she asks which stack we’re on. #nycga #ows

Trish’s CQ: “Have you reached out to our American Indian Solidarity group? Networked, touched base, gotten feedback?” #nycga #ows

A: “We didn’t know that group existed.” Joseph from that group will speak. #nycga #ows

Joseph: “This is a solemn assembly, a memorial, in respect towards our ancestors, and we should keep it as such and dignified.” #nycga

Cont’d: “So we shouldn’t hv personality contests abt who’s doing what or whatever. So let’s continue on and do this and fortify this mvmnt.”

Joseph: “Let’s just do it, man. That’s it.” [Sparkle that. -Ed.] #nycga #ows

RT @hockymickle: @LibertySqGA Amerinda=American Indian Artists, Inc. http://t.co/E5tpPlVv

@hockymickle thank you!

First concern, now. “I’m concerned this event is too hasty. We have indigenous ppl here that weren’t contacted. Also I think that the…”

Cont’d: “…topic is really specific. I think we have current structures in place against the same ppl who faced dignities at Wounded..”

Cont’d: “..Knee but are currently in a different context.” Great idea, bt in future, “consider parallel events from the past & the current.”

A: “We agree, and in the future we’ll do other events that connect parallel experiences b/w different ppl, past and present.” #nycga #ows

Nan’s Concern: “I think if #OWS doesn’t support this movement, it’d be a wrong thing to do. The Native Americans, whatever tribes they…”

Cont’d: “…came from, this is their land. We walk on their land and are eating their food. Our ancestors killed them. Supporting this…”

Cont’d: “…is a way of saying we’re in solidarity.” Concerned about anyone who would try to “[eff] this up.” #nycga #ows

Next, friendly amendments. FA: “Contact arts and cultures to get needed supplies; what they don’t have them, you can purchase.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Also, I’m wondering if you can amend your proposal so OccupyTheatre can do a 10 minute piece on parallel experiences of ppl.”#nycga

A: “We accept the Arts and Culture proposal and commit to returning money not spent. Second part, don’t feel I can answer right now b/c…”

Cont’d: “..this event has happened in collaboration w/ all of those involved on the program, so I can’t speak for them and would have to…”

Cont’d: “..ask all of them how they feel about having another performance on the program, and I’m happy to do that.” #nycga #ows

Nan’s FA: “My friendly amendment is this: I would like for some kind of a card where ppl sign, write their thoughts, as occupiers…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…to say ‘thank you, we appreciate your history’, ‘we are walking with you.’” #nycga #ows

.@shawncarrie’s FA: “W/ all due respect, I lived on Pine Ridge Reservation for a month and having experienced that, I feel that ppl there..”

Cont’d: “…would not appreciate that type of gesture. It’s patronizing.” “So, don’t do the card.” #nycga #ows

Proposer’s FA: “Let’s make a card for participants coming from Pine Ridge, in keeping w/ what Shawn said about not addressing everyone at..”

Cont’d: “…Pine Ridge, because it would be patronizing, but we cn thank our friends from Pine Ridge tht we do know personally.” #nycga #ows

Reviewing: “So, we propose a gathering on 12/29, the 121st Anniversary of the Massacre at Wounded Knee.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “The goals of the event are to listen to native voices. By listening, #OWS can move to a radical unsettling of #occupation in…”

Cont’d: “…vision and in action and build a movement that is more inclusive, expansive, loving, and just.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We want to ask how #OWS can be more just and to organize from the margins of power and not from the center.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “It will also start a reciprocal relationship b/w #OWS and Amerinda activists.” Will share info w/ marginalized communities. #nycga

Cont’d: They’ll talk to A&C to see what art supplies they can get for free, and then also they’ll have a card “where all occupiers cn sign..

Cont’d: “..and express their feelings to our friends from Pine Ridge.” OK, temp-checking the proposal. Looks good — any blocks? #nycga #ows

No blocks! “We hope to see you all on 12/29 at 5:30 at Irondale if anyone wants to talk to me or Demelza (sp?) we’ll be here.” #nycga #ows

OK, next proposal: to prohibit WGs from meeting during GA and Spokescouncil. #nycga #ows

“GA is the heart of our movement, as is Spokescouncil. We have left 100s of ppl at 60 Wall during GA and Spokes.” #nycga #ows

“The proposal is to prohibit working groups from holding meetings during GA and Spokescouncil b/c these are our directly democratic…”

Cont’d: “…processes and if ppl aren’t here, they’re not participating. We need all the participation we can get.” #nycga #ows

Stairs opening stack on CQ. Dave’s CQ: “What WG are you from, if any? And how would you enforce this proposal?” #nycga #ows

A: “I’m part of many working groups, but I’m bringing this as an individual. I plan to enforce it thru the GA.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “I think participation in the assemblies we’ve created is really important. W/o it, we can’t get anything done.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “I also think it’s important to workshop proposals like these w/ the ppl affected. What kind of workshopping was done?” #nycga

A: “Great ?; I personally haven’t done much, but NYCGA Council Working Group has gone to WGs to request they not meet during these times.”

Trish’s CQ: “Jason, your proposal, if passed, means no WG meetings would go past 7pm.” #nycga #ows

Sparrow’s CQ: “Have you considered the possibility that prohibition is a very violent word and perhaps an alternative terminology that..”

Cont’d: “…that wasn’t compulsory could be used in its stead?” A: “I used the word because it was compulsory.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “Since you guys want to do this, what about Kitchen, that feeds ppl during evening around 6:30 or 7? How do you enforce that?” #nycga

A: “I think Kitchen’s pretty reasonable. They’re here tonight, at the GA! So if you want to eat, come to GA!” #nycga #ows

CQ: “Since prohibition is going to be a part of the terminology of this proposal, have you considered that every group is autonomous and..”

Cont’d: “…can send a rep to the meetings while they’re having their meetings or doing their business?” #nycga #ows

A: “It crossed my mind, but at the same time, I would like to have more than a rep. I think we as a movement need all we can get, hence we..

Cont’d: “..want everyone out here.” Trish’s POI: “I’ve reached out to kitchen; we’re working at serving hot meals at 60 Wall before 5 so..”

Cont’d: “..we can attend GA. If not possible, we’ll have pizza!” #nycga #ows

Nan: “I think this is a great thing, b/c we do need participation.” But some meetings start late, so some groups are prolly not gonna do it.

OK, that’s it for CQs. Concerns now. 1st: “Under the current system, that would mean we could never meet after 7, and most ppl have jobs..”

Cont’d: “..before 7. Perhaps we could have a system where we enforce this rule only part of the days.” #nycga #ows

A: “That sounds more like a FA — I have a job, and I need to get off work to get here. I do my best; not always on time to meetings b/c..”

Cont’d: “…I have to come from work.So I feel that, but at the same time, the movement has to keep moving.” #nycga #ows

Justin’s POI: “When we designed this in the beginning, plan was on the wknds, folks not full-time could participate Sat and Sun.” #nycga

Next C: “Groups need time to change their meetings. I didn’t hear anything about a grace period, so that’s my concern.” #nycga #ows

A: “We could amend it to begin this the 2nd week in January.” #nycga #ows

Justin’s C: “There are many ppl who participate in this mvmnt who think the GA is dysfunctional due to disruptors.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…this would exclude those ppl because after 7 is a large period of time. Secondly, would violate WG autonomy.” #nycga #ows

A: “That is a great point. Working groups are autonomous, but I feel if they were truly down w/ the mvmnt, they’d be out here.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “I also feel that if we had more people here, there’d be less disruptions.” #nycga #ows

John’s C: “I’d like to reiterate that I think the concern this brother has is really important: participation. W/o it, we can’t get…”

Cont’d: “…anything done. I also feel concern just raised: an erosion of autonomy. Ppl need to be able to have choice where they want…”

Cont’d: “…to be. So, w/ this principle in mind of being able to make yr own choices, I’m concerned this kind of proposal is babying ppl.”

Justin: “My biggest thing is that we marginalize thru design. This proposal is trying to change that.” #nycga #ows

Trish: “I understood this proposal was not focused on working groups not meeting. The proposal is focused on working groups not meeting…”

Cont’d: “…after 7:00 on nights of GA and Spokes. The WG doesn’t have to attend; individuals who would be at meetings would be…”

Cont’d: “…at the GA if there weren’t meetings. GA is the heart of the movement.” Hundreds are at 60 Wall. #nycga #ows

A: “In 2012, we are going to start having GAs on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at the same time as Spokes. This will resolve…”

RT @Dwayne_wins: going live from Liberty Square GA on http://t.co/vqr9GOlN in a moment #ows

Cont’d: “…a lot of the concerns about meeting times.” (Trish: “Nobody knows what he’s talking about.”) #nycga #ows

My concern: “What Sparrow said. Let’s ask ppl to focus on coming to GA rather than trying to force people to come.” #nycga #ows

OK, Friendly Amendments. Trish: “FA that this proposal addresses the GA rather than Spokes. B/c the GA is the heart of the movement…”

Cont’d: “…proposals are brought to the General Assemblies.” #nycga #ows

A: “The FA that this only apply to the GA and not Spokescouncil — I accept that.” #nycga #ows

FA: “That this proposal apply to GAs on Tues, Thurs, Saturday, until schedule changes.” So, not on Sunday. #nycga #ows

That FA was accepted. Yoni’s FA: “On Sat and Sun, ppl have the whole day open, so they should be here at the GA. But on wkdays, a little…”

Cont’d: “…more difficult.” So, he wants it apply to Saturdays and Sundays and not Tuesdays and Thursdays. #nycga #ows

A: “We’re just prohibiting meeting; we’re not forcing them to come.” #nycga #ows

FA: “My concept is we wait to implement this until we have a place inside to hold GA. Otherwise they’ll stay inside.” #nycga #ows

A: “I’d like to decline that FA because I’ve already accepted a friendly amendment to postpone implementation until the 2nd wk of Jan.”

Cont’d: “And we should be inside by then.” Shawn’s FA: “Change the language in this proposal from ‘prohibit’ to ‘suggest’.” #nycga #ows

A: “I kind of want to decline. I understand your reasoning, but I’ve seen this pass at other occupations, and it’s helped out a…”#nycga

Cont’d: “…a lot, and I think we can use it.” Another FA is essentially the same. “Please don’t make me block this b/c it…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…tells ppl what to do.” A: “This is a GA; if ppl don’t come here, they can’t possibly care.” “They are in effect mocking us…”

Cont’d: “…by calling themselves a part of this movement but not participating in this, the most important event.” #nycga #ows

“I don’t want to make you block this, but like you said, we can’t make you do anything.” #nycga #ows

Sparrow’s FA: “I believe that we should amend this proposal in another location for about a week, so we can work on the language, so that..”

Cont’d: “…the language is not so violent. A big piece of the movement has been pushing this idea of nonviolent communication, and the…”

Cont’d: “…parameters of this proposal are violent!” Does think if everyone showed up, “shit would get done.” #nycga #ows

Jason declines to table the proposal as requested, but is willing to change language to “formally requests that all WGs, caucuses…”

Cont’d: “..affinity groups, and other groups associated w/ #OWS do not meet during the time of general assembly.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “..if passed, this won’t be initiated til January 15th.” OK, moving to consensus. Any blocks? Yes, 4 blocks. Hearing them now.

Block 1: “One of our core principles is that of respecting individual autonomy. While the language was changed to suggest, I still think…”

Cont’d: “…that this proposal is in opposition to one of these core principles.” Trish: “I don’t know about this movement.” #nycga #ows

Trish: “Blocks? There’s no blocks here.” Nick: “You’re always about direct democracy.” Trish: “Who said that?” #nycga #ows

.@shawncarrie’s blocks: “Even tho the language has changed, proposal is in direct conflict w/ Principles of Autonomy, consensed on by GA.”

A: “I’ve never heard of that. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. But GA has power to reverse itself if it wants to. Also, I think that…”#nycga

Cont’d: “…solidarity might overshadow autonomy.” [OH SNAP. -Ed.] #nycga #ows

Shawn says a FA that would resolve his block “not really tho” would be to table the proposal. #nycga #ows

Nick’s block “is moral, ethical, as well as safety. You keep using the word direct democracy, but by prohibiting, you’re forcing ppl to…”

Cont’d: “…attend.” Jason says he changed it, but “even without prohibit in it”, forcing ppl to act in a certain way, Nick says. #nycga

Next Block: “Because this proposal is stopping WGs from meeting a time that may be the best time for them to meet. And I don’t think it’s..”

Cont’d: “…up to the GA to determine when is the best time for a group of individuals to come together.” #nycga #ows

Someone PoPs: “Facilitation made a procedural error; should have tempchecked coming to consensus,” if declined, would be tabled. #nycga

Someone points out that’s not true; it’s up to the proposer whether to table it. But still 4 unremoved blocks. Moving to modified consensus.

18 votes against, and there just plain aren’t 180 ppl here, so “consensus has not been reached.” #nycga #ows

An announcement frm Danielle. “Arts and Culture has brought all of you a very special Christmas Eve candlelight vigil.” Wants a 10min break.

Ok, we’re taking a break for a march! Wooo! #nycga #OWS http://t.co/PrNkMRUn

GA is continuing in front of the New York Stock Exchange!

Next proposal on the agenda: Global Protest March – “With legislation like #NDAA + #SOPA being passed, movements like this won’t be possible

With enough time, we can amass a global summit with marches, performances, etc. w/reps from global #occupy movements #nycga

CQ: Have you worked w/ #OWS WGs? A: I brought it to DA, got good vibes, was told to bring it straight to GA. #nycga

CQ: Hey! I’m from @OccupyBaltimore, we’re part of @InterOcc, and i’ve been on the conference calls, we discussed Million tent march in Jan

…CQ: Have you discussed this? A: I think this will ware us down physically, feel this time could be better spent building & mobilizing..

CQ: How doy ou propose ppl will get to DC? Who’s gonna bus them? Have you been working on that? A: Some private donors getting in.. #nycga

A cont’d: I think starting with this call, support will come to us. #nycga

…doesn’t serve our message. I would like to see us work on meeting somewhere that makes more sense, maybe the center of the US…#nycga

Which is actually in Kansas, which makes a point on how the system existing are obsolete, & we’re trying to build something new.#nycga

Stairs: No more CQs, moving to Concerns- @DiceyTroop: We have avoided engaging political process.. Not sure marching on DC… #nycga

C: Have you been talking to occupations around the country? A: Not really, but everyone i brought it to had good response.. #nycga

Concern: This is a fantastic idea, but maybe we should keep the date & location open, but consense on coming together. #nycga

A: We are at risk of losing our rights, we need to raise ALL of our voices in solidarity right now. #nycga

Response: We can’t lose our rights bc they’re inalienable. Going to DC to say “don’t take our rights away!” empowers them to decide.#nycga

A: The point is not to plead for our rights. It’s an assertion that these are our rights, they cannot be taken from us. #nycga

PoI: The world is awakend! Response: I wouldn’t say awake yet, but it’s waking up. #nycga

.. IT’s the point to awaken those people that their civil liberties are being taken away. Most ppl are unaware. This action wil wake ppl up

No more Concerns, moving to Friendly Amendments. There are some friendly tourists coming! Let’s ask them to join us! (chanting: Join us!)

Now chanting to tourists: You! Are! The 99 percent! #nycga

FA: I propose that we consense on national unity, and leave open the date and possibly the location. #nycga

FA: “This GA can only really speak for this occupation, every GA has its own voice, lets not make plans for the whole country.” #nycga

..”I’d like to amend, instead of making a plan, we consense to support the creation of a conversation w/ @interOcc & Mvmt Bldg… #nycga

…”This is a weird time to make big decisions, because lots of important people can’t be here right now.” #nycga

Proposer: “I’ve noticed that since eviction, the movement has splintered. Ambiguity is good, but also could be detrimental.” #nycga

Proposer: Part of my proposal to to initiate communication nationwide, and further development that these conversation are necessary. #nycga

FA: The occupation mvmt is a beautiful thing, but since I’ve been in DC, I’ve seen other movements do better.Free Tibet Mvmt still strong..

“Can we move towards a total human movement for an international day of movement?” #nycga

Proposer: “I consider #OWS to be a global human revolution. But I would like to see one day of action uniting us all.” #nycga

FA: This is not a FA, but has to be said. Idea is rly cool, but we shouldn’t be so hasty about getting things done fast.” #nycga

FA cont’d: “I don’t know if we’re gonna change evertything by the next election, that’s a LOT to do. Just be aware of that.”#nycga

Stairs: “This process involves far more people than are here now. This conversation should move to include those people in planning.”#nycga

Staris: Can we take a moment to consider what’s happening right now- we’re doing a fucking GA in front of the NYSE! *cheers* #nycga

“So the proposal is for an int’l #occupy summit in conjuction w/ movements worldwide. Amemdements include flexibility on the date”..

“Another proposal is to wait to talk with the broader community of national and international #occupy movements.” #nycga

Stairs: The proposer has decided to table this proposal. We are with it, but it’s not gonna happen today. #nycga

#MicCheck: Joseph: tomorrow, we’re having a dinner for everyone. If you can, bring whatever clothing you don’t use, bc layers are important

@what_a_fiasco Sorry, technically the person said “very committed people”, not “important people”.

“When you show you care, it makes a world of difference!” #ows #nycga

Stairs: We have one more proposal, and it will be our last one. #nycga

Yoni: This is a very basic proposal, doesn’t seek to change any rules of GA procedure. It wishes to subscribe to rules we agreed upon @Sep17

@_girlalex Person speaking said “very committed people”, not “important people”, if that makes a difference. @what_a_fiasco

“On monday, one of the blocks was to shove a fist up someone’s ass, and I think we can agree that that’s not a legit block”

@_girlalex Sometimes paraphrasing into 140 chars gets awkward. We do our best, tho ;-) @what_a_fiasco

“A block is a moral, ethical concern for the movement. 80% of the blocks we’ve been seeing have not been legitimate.” #nycga

PoP: Nan: did you go through the proper channels for this proposal? A: yes. #nycga #ows

“So the proposal is going forward, when a block is raised, we take a temp check on whether it is a legitimate block” #nycga

Opening on stack for CQs: 1st: Razor: It’s #Xmas Eve, I didn’t even know this GA was going on. Now, the power of blocks… #nycga

… Razor: “is being discussed at a GA nobody knows about. This a power grab by the people making this proposal. This is not a propoer GA.”

Razor cont’d: “I would ask that you table this and bring it back to a regular GA.” #nycga #ows

@what_a_fiasco Nope, not the case. @_girlalex

@what_a_fiasco It might sound that way if that is what happened, but it’s not the case. @_girlalex

Someone: “I believe that this GA is entirely legitimate! However, this issue should be discussed by larger grp of ppl.” #nycga

“If you were to table this, I would be highly supportive.” #nycga

Proposer: “I will table this proposal”. #nycga Stairs: Okay guys, guess that means GA is over! Let’s go back to the park! #nycga #ows

GA is over, we are now marching back to Zuccotti! That’s it for #NYCGA, folks! Tune in to @OWS_Tactical for tweets from the march! #OWS

Comments are closed.