Tweets for Sat, 21 Jan 2012

Posted by & filed under Livetweets.

Hey fam! We’ll be live from today’s #ows #financialassembly! 2pm @ 60 WallSt.

Live from 60 WallSt. Small crowd so far gathering for #ows #financialassembly including Jason, proposer of the budget freeze.

Archives is here and excited to get a budget after many failed attempts to have their proposal heard by #nycsc. #ows #financialassembly

10-15 minute gossip session happening while we wait for some more people to arrive. #ows #financialassembly

Just announced that there are supposedly people coming down with the intent to disrupt the proceedings of the #ows #financialassembly.

Jason states the tentative agenda for the meeting. Starting with your name, what brought you to occupy… #ows #financialassembly

… then questions inspired by original Sept17 mtgs. What is the current crisis? How can we better handle finances #ows #financialassembly

Jason intends for breakout groups to discuss these questions and then plan a 2nd mtg to continue budgeting. #ows #financialassembly

So far, only enough people for one breakout group. Deciding not to use stack and have loose facilitation. #ows #financialassembly

Introductions beginning. [I don't feel comfortable transcribing this part - Ed.]

Jason says part of the intent of budget freeze proposal was to initiate the #financialassembly convos around fiscal responsibilty in #ows.

15 people currently here. 2 members of @OWSAccounting. #ows #financialassembly

[I'm on my phone so I'll be doing my best to transcribe the essence of what people say, not exact quotes. Sorry! -Ed.]

Looking like we’ll break out into 3 groups. Threr questions to discuss… #ows #financialassembly

1. What is the crisis with the way money has been spent? 2.What are our personal visions for how we should deal w/$? #ows #financialassembly

3. What are tangible action steps we can take to work towards those visions? #ows #financialassembly

Each group will write their thoughts and then Jason offers to synthesize notes and disseminate prior to next mtg. #ows #financialassembly

Jason sees this as the first in a series of mtgs working toward establishing comprehensive budgets. #ows #financialassembly

Someone feels we are going too fast and must first have open discussions about the financial crisis we’re facing. #ows #financialassembly

We’ve decided to address the first question as a full group.
#ows #financialassembly

Requested that someone from @OWSAccounting describe their interpretation of the crisis first. #ows #financialassembly

Meeting taking a detour while we try to address the immediate needs of an individual in need of food.
#ows #financialassembly

Several individuals expressing concern w/the functioning of OWS but unwilling to help this meeting be productive. #ows #financialassembly

#nypd just walked over to ask us to keep the noise down. #ows #financialassembly

Attempting to get the meeting back on track after several disruptions and a bit of mutual antagonizing w/#nypd.
#ows #financialassembly

Jason saying he’s trying to create a place for listening as well as speaking. #ows #financialassembly

Susan from @owsAccounting will start the convo. Anthony offers to provide loose facilitation. #ows #financialassembly

Susan speaks on the role of accntng to take money and do the GAs bidding. Feels the 100/day WG rule games the system.#ows #financialassembly

Susan – LibertySq was a vortex of energy but now there is no central accountability. Affinity groups are a problem. #ows #financialassembly

Susan speaks on developing structural problems. Affinity groups providing resources w/o accountability. #ows #financialassembly

Anthony, also from Accounting now speaks on his experience there. Joined because of his issues with them.
#ows #financialassembly

Many working groups being faulty with receipts, especially many groups who blame others for being irresponsible.
#ows #financialassembly

Anthony believes WGs should be able to raise funds independent of #nycga w/o having to be an affinity group. #ows #financialassembly

“Different kinds of people need different kinds of communication.” – Sage #ows #financialassembly

Trish trying to clarify who called this mtg & why. Says nycga council wg also has a spending freeze group.
#ows #financialassembly

[To be clear, people are expressing their personal views from their experiences. Not official positions of any Working Groups. - Ed.]

Anthony asks for ten seconds of silence after some heated back and forth between Trish and the group. #ows #financialassembly

Jason details his frustrations w/Finance (now @OWSAccounting), accusations of theft and shadiness started early.
#ows #financialassembly

Jason says he tried to join Finance but was not allowed to join. They were opaque and not transparent. #ows #financialassembly

Jason notes that since changing their name to @OWSAccounting from Finance, some issues have been resolved… #ows #financialassembly

.. and there seems to be more transparency and a focus on just maintaining the books. #ows #financialassembly

Susan says many discrepancies originate not from theft but from lack of bookkeeping & missing receipts. #ows #financialassembly

Susan asks for us to take rumors with a grain of salt.
#ows #financialassembly

Jason says the current irresponsible way we’ve been handling money/resources reflects the system we’re fighting. #ows #financialassembly

Someone says he reached out to @OWSAccounting with people who wanted to help keep books & offer was refused. #ows #financialassembly

Pointed out that a legal firm runs background checks on volunteers who have direct access to #ows finance accounts.
#ows #financialassembly

Back and forth between Trish and members of @OWSAccounting. Kind of devolving into story time. #ows #financialassembly

[As soon as one disruption ends another pops up. Its like whack-a-mole right now - Ed.] #ows #financialassembly

Jason tries to reel it in, telling Trish she is horribly disrupting the mtg & he wants to hear other people. #ows #financialassembly

Yoni says the critical issue is bad accounting and lack of information on the part of people requesting funds.
#ows #financialassembly

Yoni believes the 100/day was totally irresponsible and allowed for burning through money.
#ows #financialassembly

Yoni notes our comrades in Egypt are dying and we’re squabbling over money.
#ows #financialassembly

Someone points out Direct Action was given $7500 for #d17 and nothing came of it.
#ows #financialassembly

Marisa says we’ve created a fucked up power dynamic btwn 2 bodies with centralized control of funds.
#ows #financialassembly

She thinks we should have independent fundraising that reports back to #nycga to work under the #ows name.
#ows #financialassembly

Marisa says affinity groups have been used to cloak vanguard activity and not to encourage autonomous actions. #ows #financialassembly

[Should be noted the loudest group in 60WallSt is now the pack of #nypd & private security socializing in the middle of the atrium. -Ed.]

Someone points out its problematic to allow privileged people (with Macs & smart phones) to handle the money. #ows #financialassembly

Tashy says the principle should be “To each according to their needs, from each according to their ability.” #ows #financialassembly

Tashy notes our system is too uniform and chose to not acknowledge disparities. We can’t be in solidarity til we do
#ows #financialassembly

Money is the point of crystallization, the place of truth, & that hierarchy was established in the movement y -tashy #ows #financialassembly

Jason responding to assumptions made about his intent of the proposal. Tries to clarify.
#ows #financialassembly

He’s looking forward to running out of money so we can focus back on ourselves & what this movement is about.
#ows #financialassembly

Jason looks forward to having conversations about bigger things than how we spend money. #ows #financialassembly

“What can we show for the hundred of thousands of dollars we spent in 4 months?” – Jason #ows #financialassembly

“This movement isn’t about money, but we still live in a society that requires it.” – Anthony #ows #financialassembly

Anthony says we need to spend a lot more time & effort at the planning stage before we spend money. #ows #financialassembly

Someone thinks we have a lot to show for what we’ve done. It might not be tangible but we’ve changed conversations.
#ows #financialassembly

Marisa wants to move to long term structural changes & networks established to develop real alternatives. #ows #financialassembly

She believes a standing pool of money encourages unnecessary spending/proposals & lack of creativity.
#ows #financialassembly

Ravi points out we have to able to do logistical planning to make sure our actions/activists are supported. #ows #financialassembly

Someone wonders if we can ask for donations of sorts other than $$ around specific needs or actions. #ows #financialassembly

Susan says she doesn’t want to donate to pay for social services for people who don’t actually participate. #ows #financialassembly

Susan says she doesn’t believe you can fund raise in kind. We need to actively fund raise millions of dollars. #ows #financialassembly

Jeff asserts in kind donations weren’t handled more responsibly than monetary donations. #ows #financialassembly

Jeff wants us to ask the question who are we and what are we doing? What is an occupier? Who is using resources? #ows #financialassembly

Jeff thinks we should be establishing a structural backbone of the movement as a whole. Long term infrastructure. #ows #financialassembly

Someone asserts we need concrete goals to work toward and not be as reactionary. #ows #financialassembly

Jack asserts that if you care about direct democracy & #nycga decision making then you must show up to participate. #ows #financialassembly

Bobby explains the drawbacks of GAs in other groups/orgs & moat don’t deal w/resource allocation in that forum. #ows #financialassembly

[I have to step away from #ows #financialassembly to go to @OWSFacilitation mtg. This mtg is a soapbox Im unclear what will come of it -Ed.]

[Comments, questions, feedback, points of affection, hit me up at @PoweredByCats. Thx family!]

RT @raviahmad: NYC GA will start at 730, at 60 Wall street @OWScom @LibertySqGA #NYCGA #ows

Hi fam! We’re starting tonight’s General Assembly. Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4. #nycga #ows

Amin and Christina will be our “stairs” tonight. We’re at 60 Wall, which is a recent decision, so they temp check proceeding. #nycga #ows

Folks feel good about it! So we’ll continue w/ GA. Stairs will review handsignals; folks at home can check ‘em out: http://t.co/VHmHwQl9

Stairs: “We’ll set 20 minutes per agenda item, as the space we’re in has a closing time.” #nycga #ows

There are 3 proposals: 1) Jeff re: Open Meetings, 2) Changes to GA schedule, 3) Park Slope residents’ working grow. #nycga #ows

First, we’ll do announcements and reportbacks. Alexi announces a meeting to determine exit/housing strategy going forward. #nycga #ows

Alexi: “I just hope that Mon at 6pm, those interested to work on alternative housing and an exit strategy” will come to 60 Wall. #nycga #ows

Anthony: “Open Accounting meetings are 5:30pm Fridays at 60 Wall, and Class War WG Wednesdays at 5, either here or Charlotte’s Place.”#nycga

Jack: “I was asked by the student assembly to announce that they called for a 3/1 Day of Action; they’re planning stuff.” #nycga #ows

Ravi: “The WG proposal (in terms of what a group needs to be) kicked in yesterday. We’re contacting lots of groups, telling ppl they..”

Cont’d: “…need to post their minutes and meeting times because we don’t want to deactivate your entry on the website.” #nycga #ows

Ravi notes that we’re working on ways for folks who aren’t a working group but are still doing stuff to use nycga.net for that. #nycga #ows

Next, Patrick, Vision and Goals, notes that GA signaled that they should bring their vision statement back on the 24th for final consensus.

Shawn: “DA working group has formed a new subgroup called the Feminist DA” — they meet Thursdays 7:30 at Judson Church! #nycga #ows

Next, Lady. “There was a lot of action that happened after I got arrested, but the GSD group is still on.” Focused less on meetings… #nycga

Cont’d: …and more on facilitating direct actions, and getting video and response to those actions. Check with her when you see her! #nycga

Dallas: “Some of you may have heard of MegaUpload — it got shut down this week. The FBI’s website also got shut down!” Uptwinkles! #nycga

Dallas also notes February 11th will be a “Don’t Buy Any Media” day. Sumumba notes that 60 Wall security needs us out by 10. #nycga #ows

Lorenzo: “Today we live streamed the Egyptian Solidarity rally; 200 ppl at its peak. Super rowdy, super awesome.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We went to OccupyTheCourts too;” also a shout out to the Bay where folks shut down the SF financial district! #nycga #ows

Next, Jeff from Housing has a proposal about open meetings. Here’s the proposal he’s explaining now: http://t.co/res8qck3 #nycga #ows

Jeff: “It was formalized in the Info/ComHub proposal that all working group meetings need to be open.” Notes that some have had… #nycga #ows

Cont’d: …closed meetings for specific topics. “There are some that have closed meetings for reason of security culture.” #nycga #ows

It essentially mandates that all operational decisions should happen in open meetings, except for some important secrecy (i.e. DA) #nycga

CQ, Patrick: “Can you show us which working groups are having closed meetings, so we know whether this makes sense?” #nycga #ows

A: “I don’t want to call any of them out to make them feel targeted.” He describes his belief that some groups operate on a closed model.

Trish’s CQ: “RE: structure, the new structure working group- the old structure WG is a great example of tht issue; that entity…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…had closed meetings,” and consensed, she said, on a model known as “Spokes” [I question so much about these statements.) #nycga

CQ, @sabokitty: "You'd cited DA as perhaps having a good reason for an exception- so it's in your proposal?" A: "Yes." #nycga #ows

POI: Someone says DA, Accounting both do it (have closed meetings.) Ravi, earlier, note Info/ComHub proposal was neutral on closed mtgs.

Nan comes up on stack, but wants to be last (?): Next, "Tech makes decisions all the time -- when you place a button… how do you decide.."

Cont'd: "…what a decision is?" Jeff: "Any decision that requires consensus to go forward." Sumbumba asks if breakout groups are OK. #nycga

Jeff:"Yes, they're fine as long as they're planning, but any decisions need to come back to the larger group." #nycga #ows

Nan: "What about groups that do private and public meetings?" Notes that she feels like efforts to clarify WG role is top-down behavior.

Jeff: "I think anyone in this movement is horizontal; we can all be leaders when we see something wrong and" can make a proposal. #nycga

Cont'd: "The only groups I feel like have an issue with it is with caucuses who might set stipulations;" Jeff doesn't mind that but as...

Cont'd: …long as they're open to anyone who fits that standard. That's it for CQs; now, concerns. #nycga #ows

C: "These two are both blocking concerns: 1) being involved in operations involves some amount of responsibility; when they.." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "…make meetings closed it's because they have responsibilities." Notes Kitchen needs closed meetings to make decisions… #nycga #ows

Cont'd: …to prevent people from coming in and just making them change their eating times or whatever. "But once you join, you're in." #nycga

Her next concern is "working group autonomy." Notes she opposed proposal to remove Jeff from Housing because it did the same thing. #nycga

Jeff: "Although WGs are autonomous, they must fit w/in certain standards." Feels GA can continue to set requirements such as that. #nycga

"What this proposal is meant to clarify is whether working groups being open means "open participation" or "open to join" #nycga #ows

"The other pt you mentioned was fact that some WGs would function better w/ closed meetings. I agree." "People often show up…" #nycga

Cont'd: "…to voice complaints, then we never see them again, and leave us w/ policies" that are untenable. #nycga #ows

OK, we've used the 20 minutes allocated for this proposal, so we're temp-checking extending time for 10 minutes. "That's very mixed." #nycga

Cont'd: "Let's try temperature checking for 5 minutes." It's mixed, but more positive. Yoni asks if we can try to reach consensus w/o...

Cont'd: …completing concerns and friendly amendments. Stairs notes that we'd have to table, can't do that. #nycga #ow

Trish: "My concern is closed meetings w/ working groups that are making decisions that affect entire mvmnt. Those shouldn't happen in…"

Cont'd: "…closed meetings." I.e., if Accounting was to move the account, should they do that in a closed meeting? #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "Things that affect the entire movement should not be behind closed doors." Anthony's concern was already addressed, passes. #nycga

Sage: "Also w/in Principles of Solidarity, there's a statement to keep meetings open, but even w/ that stment and value, still having…"

Cont'd: "…secret meetings." So, even if this is approved, how do we call people on it if they're still excluding people from participating?

Finn: "I'd like to speak about exclusion being *necessary* to this movement." Open meetings enable people to block anything they want.#nycga

Finn asks Jeff: "Is it possible, during these open meetings, to consense in a less than 100% way to exclude someone for that mtg?" #nycga

Evan: "I worry about creating a situation where compliance is gray, and it's tough to define when an individual is in or not in compliance."

Cont'd: "The groups proposal is clear, explicit about what it requires for a WG to be a working group." W/o defining openness and… #nycga

Cont'd: …what decisions need to happen where, we get in a situation where "there's too much gray." Stairs notes clock's at 1min left. #nycga

Stairs: "We'll temp check again about extending time; we still have friendly amendments and then consensus process." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "If we don't get a positive check, it means the proposal is tabled & may be brought back at another time." Looks good, 5 more.#nycga

We'll restate the proposal: "I'd like to propose that all decisions made in an #OWS working group happen in open meetings" for all… #nycga

Cont'd: …"participants of #OWS to take part in with no requirement of working group membership." #nycga #ows

Patrick's friendly amendment: "I suggest we add some language to suggest the GA specifically may consense that b/c of decisions…" #nycga

Cont'd: "…a particular group needs to make, and the way they function, and the impact of unfamiliar folks," GA can exempt certain WGs.#nycga

Jeff accepts that amendment. Next on stack, Nan. Nan: "I feel what the Accounting Lady has to say is very important, and I want to…" #nycga

Cont'd: "…turn her concern into a friendly amendment." Someone: "What is it?" Person who spoke before doesn't feel there's a FA. #nycga #ows

Nan's FA: "If a group chooses to be exclusive, they need to remain exclusive" universally. Jeff declines, notes that it's covered by…#nycga

Cont'd: …the previous friendly amendment, or in other cases groups should be "affinity groups" and not "Working groups." #nycga

Trish's FA is that decisions made in WGs that might affect entire movement should be understood to require GA consensus. #nycga #ows

Jeff restates: "I'd like to propose that all consensus decisions" tht affect #OWS, "be open to all participants w/o membership." #nycga #OWS

The Friendly Amendment that was accepted is that groups that need to have closed meetings need to request exceptions from the GA. #nycga

Stairs: "We've reached end of the 5 minutes, but since we're so far into process, we'll test for consensus." Standasides? 8 of 'em. #nycga

Any blocks? 3 blocks. Stairs: "Could the blockers please state their blocks?" First: "I feel strongly about WG autonomy; GA already has.."

Cont'd: "…an enormous amount of power; WGs already must be open to join." That's good, but dictating internal structures is too much. #nycga

There's no FA for that block, so it stands. Nan's block is "I don't want any of the working groups I'm in w/ private meetings" to be open...

Cont'd: "…for just anyone to come in and disrupt the meetings." Anthony also blocks for same reason as Christine (working group autonomy).

Finn: "I have a triple anti-block. It takes care of those three blocks. Point of process?" Hahah. Sage wants to voice concern w/ blocks...

Cont'd: …but we currently have no way to do that (despite attempts). Trish asks why working group autonomy is at threat, Finn notes they hv.

OK, Stairs ask if Jeff wants to move to modified consensus or table -- he'll move to modified consensus. #nycga #ows

Stairs: "We're moving to modified (90%) consensus; we'll ask who is and who is not in favor of this proposal." In favor first... #nycga #ows

There are 21 people in favor. Stairs: "Now raise your hand if you oppose this proposal." There are 17 against. #nycga #ows

Stairs: "Just to be clear, there were 21 in favor of the proposal and 17 against. So this proposal does not pass modified consensus." #nycga

OK, next: a proposal to restructure assemblies! @shawncarrie offers us copies of the proposal! It's here tho: http://t.co/BsAi52kz #nycga

Nan lets us know the Park Slope proposer for the next item on the agenda had to leave, so this will be the last proposal. #nycga #ows

Since this is the last proposal, Stairs suggest that we read it for 5 minutes and then take 30min to discuss it. We're into it. #nycga #ows

RT @TesselizaTC: @LibertySqGA is live via @occupymusician (http://t.co/CxJkBRbc) <3 RT

OK, everyone read the proposal? Here we go! @shawncarrie: "Hi everybody! This is the first time I've ever presented a proposal, so..."#nycga

Cont'd: "..I'm a little nervous. I just want to talk about where this proposal came from; a lot of ppl felt like we need to revisit our.."

Cont'd: "...assembly schedule/design. Many ppl worked on this proposal, it was an open public document on the Internet." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "I brought copies to many working groups, we had it delivered to both churches." It's to start a conversation about what... #nycga

Cont'd: "...this community wants to do." "It does nothing to say, 'this is what will happen', it gives ideas to have a conversation about."

Stairs: "We're going to now open stack for clarifying questions about this proposal; if there are things you didn't understand, ask!" #nycga

Food showed up, so we're going to take 5 minutes to get food before we continue on with stack for clarifying questions. #nycga #ows

OK, now opening stack on Clarifying Questions for the proposal being presented by @shawncarrie. #nycga #ows

CQ: "Part one of the proposal seems to suggest that working groups are part of the structure of the New York City General Assembly..."

Cont'd: "...what structures are you saying at equal?" Asks that Shawn list the ones that are "equal." #nycga #ows

A: "In my mind, all of us are the NYC General Assembly, which is the largest umbrella term for this community. We went back and..."#nycga

Cont'd: "...forth about whether to use Occupy Wall Street, etc." CQ: "So you're saying an affinity group is equal to a person and they..."

Cont'd: "...have a right to vote?" A: "We don't vote; this doesn't make a distinction about access to power." #nycga #ows

POI: "A general assembly is a body of individuals; they're in affinity groups and working groups but are, in the end, individuals." #nycga

Stairs is closing stack on clarifying questions; Shawn will respond. A: "I apologize the language is causing ppl to trip up..." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "...maybe that's a downfall of many people working on the same document. Might lead to confusion, but this proposal..." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "..is not making changes as to what we already believe to be pretty clear. It's just saying that in this community, there are.."

Cont'd: "...working groups, and caucuses, and affinity groups -- like me and my cat are an affinity group -- and there's no change in.."

Cont'd: "...the amount of power any group of people has." Trish: "I heard what you just said, but in the first sentence of the proposal..."

Cont'd: "...you agree that this proposal is changing the entire structure?" Shawn shakes his head. "OK, you do not agree with that." #nycga

Trish cont'd: "So, there's no power grab between the affinity groups? So the GA continues to be the primary decision-making body of #OWS?"

Cont'd: "And we don't have to deal with the Spokes issue; they took care of that issue last night. So we're talking about limiting GA..."

Cont'd: "...to 2 days? Is that right?" Shawn notes that the proposal is that we consense on when the GA should convene. #nycga #ows

Trish: "So you're proposing we forget about the 4 days already established, and discuss how to change it?" Yes. #nycga #ows

Trish: 'If we decide to meet 2 times a week as Spokes decided to meet 2 times a week, the 2nd part of your proposal says we..." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "...look at 3 entities to fill those spaces- an action spokescouncil, a movement spokes, and a soapbox. You want us to consider..."

Cont'd: "..putting those entities in the days that are available. Is that correct?" A: "It's not created by any person other than this GA...

Cont'd: "...reading from the proposal, it says 'we empower the GA to create new structures.' Further, 'we offer some recommendations...'"

Cont'd: "'...about what these structures might look like.'" Next CQ, Daniel: "My Q deals w/ Part 2; in light of the facilitation proposal.."

Cont'd: "...that'll limit the # of days already, why is it preferable to come w/ a preset assembly structure rather than opening days..."

Cont'd: "...and bringing additional proposals w/ what to do with them?" A: This proposal just makes recommendations. "You decide." #nycga

Mike's CQ: "Since I work in Vision and Goals working group w/ Patrick and Sumumba, we're wondering if Action Spokescouncil..." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "...would subsume our group, make it go away, if you're planning on turning this into an Action Spokescouncil?" #nycga #ows

Shawn asks if he understands correctly. "You're asking if one of these groups here would subsume V&G? No; this simply offers..." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "...opportunity to have a meeting if they'd like, and provides ideas for how to do so." CQ: "Furthermore, if you want unity..."

Cont'd: "...and solidarity, then there shouldn't be more than one power source where Vision and Goals is going." #nycga #ows

Sumumba's CQ: "We have a statement for consensing on Tuesday. But I think he answered it; it's up to this group." #nycga #ows

Bless: "Without GA, a lot of shit's not going on." So his Friendly Amendment is to have it 3 times a week, not 2 as in the proposal. #nycga

That's it for CQs; now opening stack for Concerns. Lopi's Concern: "My concern is w/ Part 1; just that the time that we meet for Spokes.."

Cont'd: "...be changed to Monday and Wednesday, which is what we decided last night at Spokes." So, it's a friendly amendment. #nycga #ows

Nan's C: "We have a #Spokescouncil that basically silences people, but w/ the GA, after the GA is over, we have new ppl coming in..." #nycga

Cont'd: "...asking questions -- GA is supposed to be the General Assembly, and as people we talk together and make a decision." #nycga #ows

Nan's concern is that changing the GA days makes it harder for visitors and new people to plug into #OWS. #nycga #ows

Shawn: "I hear you; you're saying that by taking away GA we'd be depriving people." Says the proposal seeks to address that, and... #nycga

Cont'd: ..."proposes that we assemble and call it whatever we want." Notes we can assemble in other communities, as outreach. #nycga #ows

Nan says: "Are you trying to kill the general assembly by giving it another title? General Assembly needs to remain GA." #nycga #ows

Lopi's Concern: "I apologize; this is a real concern that I have about having the GA on Mondays and Thursdays and not on Saturday, as..."

Cont'd: "...many people who work can't make it during the week." Sparrow's Concern: "One of the suggested structures is an action.." #nycsc

Cont'd: "...Spokes which already exists." Feels this proposal suggests it doesn't exist, when it does, and gives the proposal ownership...

Cont'd: ...over the action spokescouncil, when it was created by DA for a purpose other than the one outlined in the proposal. #nycga #ows

Sparrow's FA is "that the entire second half of the proposal be removed." Sean: "I really hear your concerns and have tried to implement..."

Cont'd: "...them myself, and in conversation w/ others working on the proposal. I have no desire to create or destroy or take over..."

Cont'd: "...anything; I am just one person. Only the people in this room have the power to do anything. In actuality -- and I have.." #nycga

Cont'd: "...talked with Sparrow at length about this, and actually, there is no Part 2 about this proposal -- it just says let's talk.."

Cont'd: "...about what we want to do." So he happily accepts the amendment to remove the non-existent Part 2. Haha. #nycga #ows

Trish basically said the same thing Sparrow said and accused Shawn of being tricksy when saying that there is no part 2. #nycga #ows

Shawn apologizes that it made her feel that way, & reads from the proposal and notes it encourages a "discussion leading towards consensus."

Next concern is that the proposal "seems to indicate that people have the same power as working groups," which he compares to corporations.

Also, "I never thought an affinity group could vote" like a human, feels this suggests that. A: "That's not what the proposal says." #nycga

Lorenzo's PoP: "What exactly are we trying to decide with this proposal?" Stairs clarifies, we're trying to consense on part 1. #nycga #ows

Stairs: "Part 1 is what we're looking for consensus on. Part 2 is not actionable; and an FA has already struck it." #nycga #ows

So the proposal is only to change when GA meets, basically. Sean: "Written on this paper is a recommendation for when GA might happen..."

Cont'd: "...but it's up to everyone to decide when." Also, a recommendation for when Spokescouncil happens. #nycga #ows

Stairs reads the specifics: "That GA convenes Mon and Thurs at 6pm; and SC on Tues and Fri at 6pm." That's the core of the prop. #nycga #ows

Friendly amendments is next. Shawn: "it's all love here; we're a community. What we're trying to do here is come to consensus, and..."#nycga

Cont'd: "...that might require stepping back and seeing what you want from this proposal, and that's what this is to do." #nycga #ows

Cont'd: "It might not come in the form of clarifying questions and concerns and, like, 'I'm fighting you with this proposal.'" #nycga #ows

The idea is just that we decide where and when assemblies should happen. #nycga #ows

Stairs: We may have a hard time finishing this process, as security told us we may be arrested if we don't leave 30 minutes before closing?

Evan went to clarify by talking with the security people. "We have at least 10 more minutes." Will temp check to continue discussion. #nycga

It's mixed, so we're going to close GA since we won't have time to finish anyway. Shawn: "Consensus, to me, is not something..." #nycga

Cont'd: "...we can rush, like "let's go everyone do the twinkle up down thing." "I know we won't come to a consensus on it right now..."

Cont'd: "...even if we say we twinkle came to consensus." He hopes "someday we come to a meaningful consensus as a community..."

Cont'd: "...about when we should meet and what we should do then." People cheer his speech! OK, that's it for GA tonight! #nycga #ows

[Thanks fam! Questions, comments, smoints of smasmection, hit me up at @diceytroop. Much love! -Ed.] #nycga #ows

Comments are closed.