Tweets for Sat, 07 Jan 2012

Posted by & filed under Livetweets.

#OWS General Assembly is starting now! Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4 for the entire feed. #nycga #ows

Sully and someone whose name I don’t know are facilitating tonight, so we’ll call them Stairs for short! Long story. #nycga #ows

We have two agenda items, but beforehand we’ll hear working group reportbacks! #nycga #ows

First, a “quick reminder of how our Consensus process works. What we’re doing here when we’re hearing proposals…” #nycga #ows

Sully yields to folks who just donated 100 spring rolls and are about to pass them out! Thanks fam! #nycga #ows

Sully: “When we make decisions here, we’re not just using model of majority rule that many are familiar w/. We want to make decisions..”

Cont’d: “…that empower minority voices among the group, and not end up with necessarily something we all want to do, but what we can..”

Cont’d: “…live w/ as a community.” We use a collaborative process to create the final proposal, and then “we move to consensus.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “When we do that, you can stand aside, saying you don’t agree but won’t prevent consensus. Or, if you have a moral…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…ethical or safety concern for the movement as a whole, you can block.” Blocks are very serious, like you couldn’t live w/ it.

Here’s a guide to the other hand signals that Sully is introducing now: http://t.co/VHmHwQl9 #nycga #ows

Working group reportbacks! Nan’s first. “Later on, I have an emergency proposal on the table; I’ll need your help. There was a situation…”

Cont’d: “..that took place in housing at West 86th,” says it’s not fair and GA needs to know about it. #nycga #ows

Nan is discussing last night’s issue at Spokescouncil where Women Occupying Wall Street suggested Housing mis-handled a safety issue. #nycga

Next: “After the eviction, I went home, to where I grew up, in Tampa, for a couple of weeks, only to find they had a small and very fierce..

Cont’d: “…occupation. I took part in a couple of actions w/ them. They disrupted a Mitt Romney fundraiser of which I was forcibly…”#nycga

Cont’d:”..thrown out a door! They also targeted an accounting firm that funnels millions of $ thru PACs and SuperPACs, pointing out..”

Cont’d: “…what’s really wrong w/ campaign finance. I’ve also done 2 protests against NDAA since returning to NYC…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…one at Obama campaign headquarters and one as street theater. They’re also planning something for #J21.” #nycga #ows

“That brings me to my proposal. Because they’re being harassed, and have had the largest arrest in Florida history trying to get an…”

Cont’d: “…occupation going. They had many arrested and spent all their money on bail. All their equipment was confiscated more than once..”

Cont’d: “..by the police. Now, someone has given them a private space, and signed it over; they have full right to use it 24/7 as long..”

Cont’d: “…as they want! So they have tents, and a kitchen, and a medical tent, and they’re preparing for the RNC, which comes to Tampa…”

Cont’d: “…this summer! So many of them were here on NYE, and they want to invite anyone who wants to go there to camp under a palm tree..”

Cont’d: “..for the Winter, or as long as they want to be involved. Anyone involved in WGs there is welcome to their tents and food..”

cont’d: “…as long as they want to stay. However, in order for them to have a big arrest able action on the FL primaries, they need to…”

Cont’d: “..replenish a lot of the $ they lost on bail and from confiscations. They’ve had some fundraisers, made $300 and $100 on things..”

Cont’d: “…but it’s not enough for January 31st in a city where they threaten to revoke bail, throw you in jail for 3 months, til your…”

cont’d: “…arraignment on trespassing charges. So I propose we provide them $1500 for bail and any equipment they need to make their…”#nycga

Cont’d: “…camp solid, and $500 to help any w/ housing issues in NYC to get there.” #nycga #ows

Opening CQ stack. CQ: “What would be the means of transportation?” A: “Depends how many want to go. If it’s 2, Expedia.com, $90 jetblue.”

Cont’d: “If it’s more than that, I personally have a court date in Tampa Feb 6. We could rent a van; I’ll drive them there.” #nycga #ows

Nan: “My question I have for you: is $2000 going to be enough? Florida is my home state. I have a love and hate for Florida. I will…”#nycga

Cont’d: “…support a friendly amendment later on. My question for you, if the $2000 is not enough, will you come back to the GA and ask more?

A: “No to the 2nd part, b/c I don’t think we need to pay for everything for anybody, but I think it’s important that we seed occupations..”

Cont’d: “…in parts of the country where activism is not the norm. For this to be happening in places like Tampa Florida, is important…”

Cont’d: “…to support. But they need to raise their own money as well. The second part, do I think $2000 is enough for 1/31? Yes.”#nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Because, unlike the last time they were arrested, they now, as of the last few days, have the NLG in Tampa. I think that..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…makes a big difference.” CQ: “If any wrkng groups or individuals want to donate after GA passes, will you guys accept it?” #nycga

Sully PoPs: “When we do CQs, we’re really looking for questions to clarify the proposal itself.” General info can be exchanged face to face.

Someone: “Listening to you guys, I went and took a house in an abandoned building. They locked me up! The first charge was burglary…”

Lauren POIs, “This space is a safer place to occupy.” Won’t have the kinds of issues of eviction. #nycga #ows

Next, Aaron’s CQ: “The $500 for occupiers to travel there- is that a set amount, or up to?” #nycga #ows

A: “It’s not even per, it’s total.” CQ is satisfied. Skylar’s CQ: “Hi! I’m from @OccupyTampa! When it comes to $ for bail, I know that..”

Cont’d: “..as ppl get arrested, the bail goes up. Over half of everyone arrested at @OccupyTampa so far will have their court dates..”#nycga

Cont’d: “…finished before the DA on the 31st, which means bail will go down.” That’s all, I guess it was a point of information, not a CQ.

OK, no more CQs, now stacking concerns and friendly amendments. “My friendly amendment, and I just want to make clear that I fully..”

Cont’d: “…support this proposal, is that the $ given to Tampa would be able to be given back to the NYCGA as bail $ is given back after..”

Cont’d: “…the arraignments. Because I know that bail money is only temporary.” #nycga #ows

A: “I would say the way it worked on December 1st is that they didn’t have enough $, even w/ several thou, to bail everybody out.”#nycga#ows

Cont’d: “..so they had to use bondsmen, which they won’t get back. That may well be the case again on 1/31, b/c Tampa’s very working class..

Cont’d: “…foreclosure capital of the country — really, really poor. So, I’d be willing to make a little bit of tht repayable, but not all.”

“How much?” someone asks. A: “500.” Next on stack, Steven. “Hi, this is a concern — the concern that I have is that the Tampa GA..”#nycga

cont’d: “…should be asking for this. So, that’s my question as well. Has there been consensus by the GA on asking #OWS for this?”#nycga #ows

A: “The short answer is no. The medium answer is that more than 40 ppl have emailed me saying they really want to do this on the 31st…”

Cont’d: “…I’m the only person they know in NY — help.” Nan’s FA: “Since we have passed $100,000 for bail, why don’t you take that $ frm…”

Cont’d: “…the bail? The reason is when that bail fund as added, there was a friendly amendment added that other places could take…”

Cont’d: “…money out for bail?” POI, Jail support: “Tho accounting brought the bail proposal, I was present for it; that FA was turned down.”

But Nan still wants to try to take it from the bail money. “No, that’s not the previous” consensus on that bail money. #nycga #ows

Zack: “Hi- It seems like my recollection, we recently gave $25,000 to #OO, but it may have actually been more ppl from #OWS than ppl…”

Cont’d: “…from #OO on the proposal team, and then after the proposal was made, I remember other members of #OWS informing me…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…that #OO did not reach consensus on the GA when this subject came up, and I felt it was a little out-of-process.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “I support giving $ to other occupations, but it seems to be… it makes sense, if the GA would have consensed upon it in Tampa…”

Cont’d: “…I’d feel better about it. Is that possible?” Accounting’s POI: “My name’s Haywood, I’m with Accounting. We usually don’t…”

Cont’d: “…vote on these things, so I’m just going to give a POI: in accounting, before we cut checks, we need a copy of GA minutes or…”

Cont’d: “…video of where a GA has accepted a proposal.” They need to see what their GA said exactly. #nycga #ows

Sully: “Many people are talking at once, which is confusing to me as a facilitator!” Hahah. They’re calling Tampa… #nycga #ows

CQer clarifies that a phone call won’t quite suffice; they need to bring a proposal to their GA. #nycga #ows

Sully suggests a friendly amendment: the money will only go out once Tampa’s GA has agreed on it and provided proof to OWS Accounting.#nycga

I think they accepted, but Haywood is clarifying… A: “My view is if this passes, you wouldn’t cut a check unless we can give you the…”

Cont’d: “…minutes from the Tampa GA.” Haywood sounds unconvinced, but admits there’s no standing rule against doing it this way. #nycga #ows

OK, that’s it for concerns/friendly amendments. Stairs: “At this point, we’ll check — can you restate the proposal w/ FAs?” #nycga #ows

Proposer: “I’m proposing we provide $2000 total, $1500 to be used for direct action bail, the other $500 for transportation for anyone…”

Cont’d: “…who wants to get there, and won’t be used at all if no one goes. And the money won’t be released to Tampa unless passed by…”

Cont’d: “…there GA, and the minutes are provided to accounting. And $500 of the bail $ will come back to #OWS after the court dates.”#nycga

Sully: “Now that the proposal’s been stated, I’d like to get a quick sense of how people are feeling about the proposal…” #nycga #ows

Sully: “Given that we were very positive on that, I’m going to go ahead and test for consensus!” Asks for standasides… 3. #nycga #ows

Sully: “And now I’ll ask, are there any blocks to this proposal?” Someone asks that he explains what a stand aside is. #nycga #ows

Sully: “A standaside says you disagree w/ this proposal, but are willing to stand back & let the group do what it wants to do.” #nycga #OWS

One stand aside wants to explain: “I think it’s a humble amount of money, and I support it. But I think it’s a reasonable process to wait…”

Cont’d: “..until they ask for it.” OK, and now Sully asks: “Are there any blocks?” “OK, given there were no blocks and only a few..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…standasides, this proposal has reached consensus!” Cheers. #nycga #ows

OK, next proposal by Jason Ahmadi. “I have a proposal to freeze all spending of the #OWS fund. What I’d like for this proposal is that..”

Cont’d: “…we spent 15 to 20 minutes to have breakout group discussion so that we can listen to each other and talk to each other..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…about this proposal. And I was told that I should check in w/ all of you to see if that was friendly.” #nycga #ows

He’ll explain first. “I passed out some proposal forms that have the detailed proposal. If there are extras, and you’ve read it, please…”

Cont’d: “..pass them around. The basic of the proposal is we would freeze all spending until we have another occupation.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “And this does not include the bail fund. My reasons for this proposal are many. One reason is that in planning #September17th…”

Cont’d: “…we wanted to create a public space for dialogue on the crisis. And my worry is, we spend every General Assembly & Spokescouncil..”

Cont’d: “…talking about financial proposals. We never talk to each other about why we’re here, about actions we can all plan together..”

Cont’d: “..about our goals for this movement. Another reason is that we’re running out of money – quickly. And before we do that, maybe..”

Cont’d: “…we should step back and decide what we want to really do w/ this money. Another reason is that I don’t want to depend on..” #nycga

Cont’d: “..economic capital for this movement. In my opinion, successful movements are based on human capital and social capital.” #nycga

Cont’d: “And economic capital is a good thing on the side, to support people’s movements. There are more detailed explanations in…”#nycga

Cont’d: “..my written out proposal, and I’m sure you all have really good ideas on why this is a good proposal or why this is a bad one.”

Cont’d; “So I would like to have breakout discussions, so we can talk to each other, and listen to each other on this proposal.” #nycga #ows

Sully takes a quick temperature check. “How do we feel about 15 minutes of breakout discussion in groups of wish?” #nycga #ows

Sully: “That’s looking very positive, so we’re going to go ahead and do that w/ our time right now.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “After breakouts, will we consense on this?” Sully suggests so. Jason suggests, “perhaps breakout groups can choose a pointperson..”

Cont’d: “…to do quick reportbacks before the consensus process.” So we’ll go through consensus after breakouts. #nycga #ows

Here’s a scan of the full proposal; I don’t think all of this text is on nycga.net. #OWS #NYCGA http://t.co/m7JNp47S

Folks in my breakout group not super excite about a full spending freeze, but talking about other things short of that, like cutting…

…spending, making housing and kitchen less expensive, freezing everything *but* kitchen and housing, making WGs self-sustaining…

…and/or having a grace period before a change kicks in. A few have given up homes and jobs for movement, but aren’t unanimous against it.

Someone who’s brand new to #OWS says a full freeze seems like not a great idea. He says his opinion may not be as valid but we disagree.

One suggests we deal w/ problem of money-oriented GAs by banning money proposals from half of GAs. Lauren is our scribe and is doing…

…a really good job of facilitating by making sure all of our views are reflected so the reportback when we return will rep entire group.

Someone notes that it seems crazy that we can’t find couches or guest rooms for 120 occupiers during winter. Lauren, who’s been a part…

…of the Housing Working Group, notes she thinks biggest issue is housing & doesn’t agree w/ how Housing is “paying to sleep in churches.”

OK, reportbacks. “Our group had a variety of opinions; some wanted to freeze funds so we can focus on our own resources from within.”

Cont’d: “Other people felt they’d like to not freeze the funds now, but freeze the funds in the Springtime.” #nycga #OWS

Cont’d: “Some people felt they didn’t want to freeze any funds, b/c ppl would be hungry and homeless and would return to their homes..”

Cont’d: “…and not be supporting #OWS. I think that’s it.” #nycga #OWS100

Next: “We don’t want to run out of money, but we don’t want anyone to suffer.” Thinks their FA will fix that.

Next report back: “My group, we talked about 3 points. 1 point we talked about, we do not want to freeze Housing, Medics, Food, Comfort…”

“…because people do live in those churches, and kicking them out is wrong. We want our food, comfort, shower, so forth, and we think that..”

Cont’d: “..taking it away would be wrong. And we need a bigger advance window.” #nycga #ows

Next: “My group was very mixed; we have several who are staying at churches who were actually interested in freezing the accounts.”

Cont’d: “We also had one of the ppl from accounting give us some information. That info didn’t change makeup of group. We also didn’t..”

Cont’d: “…come to a real agreement, but we did have a couple of ideas that might be friendly amendments.” Will save for FA stack #nycga #ows

Next, they felt that they are worried about spending, but don’t think we can just freeze funds. Want to have bigger $ convo than 1 GA.

Next: “Something really small to add, we’d like the focus of the GAs in particular to be more substantive, topical, talk about direction..”

Cont’d: “…of movement, not just repeated finance proposals.” Their FA would be to give a 1-week grace period on the proposal. #nycga #ows

Next: “The only general consensus we reached is we didn’t think a total indefinite freeze was a good thing; many WGs depend…”

Cont’d: “…on money to remain operating; kitchen being most important for me. But we need to become more self-reliant, and stop spending..”

Cont’d: “…so much money to solve those problems.” Feels money was given to people in park, not the park itself. “Many of us have…”

Cont’d: “..left everything to be here, so we have nothing in the eyes of the 1%. So I think many working groups should not be frozen..”

Cont’d: “..but made more efficient, more dumpster-diving-savvy.” #nycga #OWS

Next: “The way I feel; what went on before the money didn’t involve money.” Ppl who remember how beautiful it was before that want it to…

Cont’d: …be that way again. “the idea that we can’t operate w/o money is just wrong.” Notes the creep of cost/flexibility w/ money. #nycga

Someone asks him if it’s a group report back; someone from the group says it’s not quite accurate. “Necessity is the mother of invention.”

CQ: “It’s not clear, based on Spokes proposal, that GA can take financial power away from Spokescouncil.” #nycga #ows

A: They feel that it’s the GA fund, and GA can indeed freeze it. #nycga #ows

CQ: “After this passes, if GA passes a proposal approving money, would this proposal stand to make that proposal void?” A: “Yes.” #nycga

Now Concerns. “Those who have been counting on those funds may be driven to extralegal means once deprived, and be targeted by police.”

Next, Sage is concerned about small working groups that use $100/day to fill in small gaps, like his Restricted Diets working group. #nycga

Sage: “If the $100 a day ends, I’ll have to go back to negotiating with Kitchen, which is very stressful, and if that’s stressful for me..”

Cont’d: “..i can’t imagine how stressful similar things will be for each of the working groups that will have to do the same.” #nycga #ows

Sage: “The second part of my statement: We have people here, like social workers, who can get folks food stamps. Others have let folks..”

Cont’d: “..sleep on their floors.” Sage figures it out day by day, but has been able to find places to sleep. #nycga #ows

“So, if we do this, we’ll need something to make ourselves more accountable in sharing floor space & resources like food stamp experience.”

Cont’d: “My concern is that w/o a friendly amendment that is just as powerful as ‘no spending’, that says ‘forced sharing’, we’re going…

Cont’d: “…to not spend, and not share.” Hahah. “That’s the balance of that statement.” #nycga #ows

OK, that’s it for concerns, and we’re on time. Sully is temp checking an additional 10 minutes. #nycga #ows

(Sorry for the delay there guys, my iPhone and Mac forgot how to speak to each other. Weirdness.) #nycga #ows

Next, Volunteer Services would very much like to see “petty cash gotten rid of and groups needing to go to GA or Spokes w/ budgets.”#nycga

Cont’d: “This would make spending much more explicit. We had an issue where someone in our group spent money on things..” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “..not related to our group, in fact the opposite of what he was supposed to be spending money on.” Has left since being confronted.

POI: “In relation to what Ravi just said, from an accounting perspective, we generally spend $2-$3k a day on petty cash. Is significant.”

NExt: “We’re for the spirit of this amendment; we agree- any friendly amendment we’d suggest would change the proposal altogether..”

Cont’d: “…and we hope you’ll table this and take all the friendly amendments and work on a more comprehensive proposal.” #nycga #ows

Friendly amendment from another group: “Instead of entire month, let’s do 2 weeks; housing is paid for for next 2 weeks, wouldn’t be…”#nycga

Cont’d: “…affected,” food as well. “But I’m totally in your camp, Ravi, re: petty cash.” But agrees about having some GAs be for money…

Cont’d: …and some not for money. [Third time I've heard that tonight.] Next: “I’m not a regular occupier; don’t know needs of occupiers.”

Cont’d; “Maybe we should have a requirement that working groups making proposals frequently take a look and make sure they need…”

Cont’d: “..to be spending what they’re spending.” Hermes: “My amendment is 3-fold; first, I’d like you to include a way to look for new..”

Cont’d: “…ways to get money, meaning financing, in other ways we can find. Second, to eliminate all that is not necessary. Third…”

Cont’d: “…to have transparency between all, and to have books w/ the working groups that can be reconciled w/ the accounting, and have..”

Cont’d: “…them online.” Steve’s FA: “If the point of this proposal is that we can talk about things other than money at GA, we can easily..”

Cont’d: “…solve that problem just by designating time, like for first half hour, or on alternating days, for not talking about money.”#nycga

Lauren: “My concern is this proposal doesn’t address issues. Money is running out; folks are becoming dependent, but this doesn’t..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…make any suggestions on how we can be self-sufficient w/o money.” Was no money at first, should have GA on sustainability. #nycga

Cont’d: “I think we could have more budgets rather than freezing; I don’t agree w/ petty cash and it should be eliminated.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “So, to definitely have all the working groups propose budgets weekly, w/ maybe 1 or 2 GAs per week maximum.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d; “We need to reach out to the community more. The donations would flow more if we were more available to community in positive ways.”

Cont’d: “I think more ppl would know we’re still here. Many ppl think this movement died when park was taken — we know that’s not..”

Cont’d: “…the case, but they don’t know.” Should be more visible, doing outreach, show them where money goes so they’ll donate. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “And I don’t agree with freezing the bail money. At all.” #nycga

Next: “We need to phase things in, so ppl have a chance to prepare, and not a mass exodus” in panic. A FA would be, there’s a sharing…

Cont’d: …of information on how to obtain resources. “A lot of us know this, and others don’t.” #nycga #ows

Zack: “I was in a group w/ Alejandro, and he expressed it already so I’ll be quick. We think this is too complicated to be fixed tonight..”

Cont’d: “…a lot of good issues raised by it.” Notes he has a blocking concern, and is aware that 4 or 5 ppl have blocking concerns too.

Nan: “My friendly amendment is what me and my group spoke about: housing, medics, food cut in half, and medics not frozen.” #nycga

Cont’d: She notes that ppl need those things, and if they go back home “we have a dead movement.” For food, can augment w/ dumpstering.

Cont’d: Nan also suggests we need to raise our own funds by networking w/ other organizations. “That way we can get more skill..”

Cont’d: “…and then we come together and have a fundraising day and bring the money back to the movement.” #nycga #ows

Zack suggests that it would be a shame if after all this discussion and development, we not make “some kind of agreement w/ this group.”

Zack’s FA is that we delay for a week, and make it a month-long spending freeze. Will give groups time to prepare. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Then WGs could bring forward explicit budgets to explain what they’d want to spend for the next month.” #nycga #ows

Steven: “I have 2 concerns: my first concern is that this proposal is not necessary. If the GA doesn’t want to spend $, they shouldn’t.”

Cont’d: “If there is a proposal to spend $500, don’t pass that proposal. My second concern is, there’s a major loophole. I’m concerned..”

Cont’d: “…that loophole will be exploited. That loophole is that it doesn’t affect the bail fund.” What might result is that instead… #nycga

Cont’d: “I support the bail fund, for bail purposes. I do not want ppl bringing proposals to raid the bail fund.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…of spending money from the general account, ppl will ask for money from bail fund for non-bail purposes.” #nycga #ows

POI: “Of course the GA can undo the bail fund, but @OWSAccounting understands it’s a fund, for *bail*.” #nycga #ows

CQ: “How does this affect connected groups like Occupy Staten Island, etc?” A: “Our budget and bail fund is explicitly only connected to..”

Cont’d: “…#OWS until and unless proposals come requesting money.” That’s it for FA stack. #nycga #ows

Sully: “I want to do another quick straw poll here; who wants to go ahead through some kind of consensus process right now versus tabling…”

Cont’d: “…#OWS until and unless proposals come requesting money.” That’s it for FA stack. #nycga #OWS

Cont’d: “…so proposers can go through some of the FAs offered and bring it back to a later date?” Actually Jason volunteers to do so. #nycga

Jason: “I got a styrofoam plate of your amendments! [It's true actually.] This is a complicated proposal; I will take exactly one week…”

Cont’d: “…and bring it back next Saturday at the GA, and I’d request that everyone who cares about this proposal come talk to me..”

Cont’d: “..so we can create a proposal that serves my intention of making sure the GA is about how we work as a movement, and not…”

Cont’d: “…how we spend money.” Thanks us, because this was a great conversation. And we applaud, because it’s damn true. #nycga #ows

All right! Sorry about some concepts that got dropped in that, technical difficulties always happen at the worst times. #nycga #ows

OK, next is Nan’s emergency proposal. We’ll hear it, and then decide whether to discuss it (i.e. if it meets definition of an emergency.)

Sully: “An emergency proposal is a proposal that has an external deadline that is immediate and not fore-knowable.” #nycga #ows

Nan: “The proposal that I brought was, an incident that happened, and a certain group did not properly address or handle it.” #nycga #ows

Nan says a man who allegedly raped an 18-year-old in the park got out of jail after 30 days on $50k bail and went to same church his…

Cont’d: …victim was at. “Keep in mind, that victim worked with us, and we had a restraining order against that guy.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “The victim voiced her concern, let them know she didn’t feel safe in that place because of this gentleman.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Rather than calling me or other women’s working groups, Housing decided themselves to have a jury of 15 ppl b/w victim..” #nycga

Cont’d: “..and the gentleman. And they asked for both of them to basically give the details out. That’s a concern to us as women. This..”

Cont’d: “..is an emergency proposal. GA needs to come together, especially to protect women, gays, lesbians, altogether. We are..”

Cont’d: “…here together to make a movement, to come together as one. We’ve already been targeted by the police; we don’t want..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…to keep being targeted by rapists.” Nan says there’s already a court process involved, w/ lawyers, and what happened was.. #nycga

Cont’d: …disclosed to certain people. “We need to talk about what we’re going to do. If we can have a breakout session, come back together..

Cont’d: “…to figure out how we’re going to work this out. Because we’re dealing w/ a system that doesn’t really like ourselves that much..”

Cont’d: “…and we need to prepare ourselves. It’s very serious.” “What’s the proposal?”, I hear several people wondering. #nycga #ows

Nan: “The proposal is this: I’d like a breakout session to figure out what we’re going to do about the situation that took place; it was..”

Cont’d: “…brought to the Spokescouncil, but we felt like it wasn’t properly addressed. So we need to address it tonight.” #nycga #ows

.@NegestiC: POI: “Last night the #SC decided to enforce that ppl asked to leave the park, 3 of them, after being accused of assault and..”

Cont’d: “..sexual assault not to come to our meetings even though we no longer live in the park.” #nycga #ows

Stairs asks us to temp check whether we think this is an emergency. Lauren wants clarification: “I heard some things earlier about ppl..”

Cont’d: “…who are running Housing didn’t allow that person to be removed. So is the issue not just to prevent coming to meetings..”

Cont’d: “..but also to prevent him from being housed?” Nan says yes. Someone explains that what @NegestiC “included that.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Anyone who breaks the community agreement according to what Spokes consensed on, won’t be allowed in the community.” #nycga #ows

POI: “They agreed that these ppl couldn’t re-enter space until the community agreement from Safer Spaces is completed. Not indefinitely.”

Nan: “Yes, but in the meantime, we need something in place in case something like this happens, we know how to deal w/ it before Safer…”

Cont’d: “…Spaces proposal.” Lopi says, “I heard today that the point people from housing tried to claim that the GA did not consense…”

Cont’d: “..that this person was kicked out.” Nan: “Yes, that’s why I’m here saying that.” Sully asks if we have enough info to temp check.

Someone notes that they heard proposal for breakout discussion; huh? Nan clarifies she wants proposal to come from breakout groups. #nycga

Stairs: “So your proposal is ‘how do we address ppl who break community agreements?’” Sully: “There’s a rule in the GA that proposals…”

Cont’d: “..are supposed to be posted for 24 hours in advance unless they’re ‘emergency proposal.’ We can discuss whatever we want..”

Cont’d: “…but we can’t discuss a proposal unless we approve that it is an emergency proposal.” Would need to do after breakouts. #nycga #ows

Lauren’s POI: “I used to be in housing, and the 2 pt ppl, Jeff and Jason, who have been handling responsibility and delegating authority…”

Cont’d: “…never in GA, when this park existed, did the GA consense that someone kicked out couldn’t come back in. We never had…”

Cont’d: “…discussions like that. When I was assaulted, I dealt w/ the cops, I posted flyers.” Doesn’t think we need to consense on this.

Cont’d: “He was arrested, and the charge was made by the victim– I think that’s enough.” If we break out, should discuss how we hold…

Cont’d: …Housing WG accountable “for who they let in the church.” CQ: “Can we not just let those in charge of churches know that these are..

Cont’d: ..not safe people to let in? Nan clarifies that they decided to ignore it. Sully: “There are a lot of hands in the air, but we as..”

Cont’d: “..a GA need to decide what we’re doing with our time right now before we do anything else.” Temp checks whether this qualifies..

Cont’d: …as an emergency proposal. Many support, but there’s still confusion about what we’re consensing on given blurriness of proposal.

Sully: “Can we do 10 seconds of silence? Because these are really hard things to talk about, and I know for me, it really triggers a lot.”

Sully says what’s not clear to him right now is what the GA’s role in this is. “It seems to me there’s work that needs to be done outside..”

Cont’d: “…of this meeting, unless there’s a proposal that this meeting can decide whether to hear as an emergency proposal.” #nycga #ows

Nan restates that Housing decided to ignore what happened. “There should be rules in place for those individuals that allow raper to be..”

Cont’d: “…around victim.” Wants a rule to protect rape victim. “Nobody asks to be raped. It’s a sad thing to be raped.” #nycga #ows

People shouting out of process: “Make 3 coordinators step down.” “Make Jeff step down.” Sully notes ppl up twinkled that. #nycga #ows

Sully: “I still haven’t gotten a sense of a proposal that GA can do anything with right now.” OK, so Nan makes proposal to have…

Cont’d: …the housing ppl step down, because it’s wrong for them to create that situation. Nan is very upset. #nycga #ows

Sully: “We just got an articulation of an emergency proposal: that we as a GA consense that there are 2 ppl basically acting as point ppl..”

Cont’d: “..for housing, and that the GA consent on asking them to step down.” “Does this body feel we can consider this as an emergency..”

Cont’d: “…proposal right now?” “OK, so that looks pretty good, that we can spend time to consider it.” #nycga #ows

Sully notes that those who didn’t feel it was an emergency proposal can express that during Concerns segment of consensus process. #nycga

OK, now opening stack for clarifying questions “that you need answered to understand proposal well enough to have an opinion on it.”

CQ: “You’re talking about saying somebody raped somebody, and it needs to be clarified: are they going to trial, are they convicted..”

Cont’d: “…or is it just alleged?” He’d hate to be condemned by “a new system” we might set up, before even being convicted. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: Many things wrong w/ current system, “but it does give you your day in court.” Nan says she was there when it happened. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Tar and feather,” the last CQer says as he steps down. Melanie: “Nan, I’d like to know how you’d like us to enforce making them..”

Cont’d: “…step down.” Nan says it’s on WoW and Safer Spaces to make that happen. Last night she tried to bring it up “and was ignored”…

Next: Justin. “Nan, I just wanted to say that her question was basically my question: would the GA basically say to Jeff and Jason that..”

Cont’d: “..you’re simply not allowed to be point people for Housing b/c of your disrespect of women who’ve been assaulted?” #nycga

Cont’d: “Also, should we make a statement to the churches too?” Someone else says they spent an hour at the church and was “extremely…”

Cont’d: “..distressed”- “As soon as I heard the word Jason, who was one of the ppl who threatened me, I was very concerned.” #nycga #ows

His question: “I do understand the concern about somebody being penalized before judicial system” — someone PoPS him. #nycga #ows

POP: “Yesterday, the Spokescouncil said specifically, no one who has been kicked out, can be part of #OWS.” Says they didn’t wait for…

Cont’d: …consensus, they just kicked him out “because he’s a fucking rapist.” “We don’t do conviction,” we as a community kicked him out.

Cont’d: “What we’re discussing tonight is how to deal w/ the ridiculous irresponsibility of Jeff and Jason.” #nycga #ows

Sully reminds us not to try to become the jury considering the facts of what happened / allegations. “What we need to decide is how..”#nycga

Cont’d: “..we as a community respond to allegations.” POI: “Re: Jeff, he’s repeatedly been asked to step back and facilitated his..” #nycga

Cont’d: “..own removal,” and has dodged it. Next: “2 Qs: are these ppl here to be part of this discussion or are we going to do this in..”

Cont’d: “…abstention; are we comfortable w/ that? Also, is housing going to step up if we remove these ppl?” #nycga #ows

Lauren POIs: “We repeatedly asked Jeff and Jason to step down; I left housing as a direct result of how Jeff had taken over. He was…”

Cont’d: “…constant facilitator of our meetings.” Lauren will step in if Jeff and Jason are removed. #nycga #ows

Lauren: “There are ppl willing to come back to housing, if Jeff or Jason are willing to revoke some of their role so we can try to..”

Cont’d: “…alleviate these problems. And we need more female leadership in Housing.” Sully sympathetically notes she’s gone beyond POI.

POI: Neither are here now, but one was informed this would happen but chose not to be here. #nycga #ows

Lauren: “If we need to make a list of reasons why Jeff should be removed, maybe we could add that to the proposal.” #nycga #ows

Lauren: “We’ve tried to do this w/ Jeff present, and it doesn’t work, so I don’t think it matters if they’re not present.” #nycga #ows

Lopi: “I’d like to clarify that if GA comes to decision about this, the GA is allowed to enforce that. We don’t need WG to take it on..”

Cont’d: “…if it goes into the minutes, the GA is empowered to enforce this if it comes to consensus.” Nan says she loves GA; once…

Cont’d: …GA consenses to that, it goes into affect. “They’ve got to step down, that’s it.” #nycga #ows

.@CarrieM213: “How do you expect GA to come to consensus when we only have 1 side of the story? And is there a precedent for the GA…”#nycga

Cont’d: “…asking the point person of a working group to step down? Would this be a new precedent?” Answer is no, no precedent. #nycga #ows

CQ: “Have they been formally invited here w/ enough lead time to get their shit together?” Says is believer in due process. #nycga #ows

Nan says she informed them she’d bring an emergency proposal; they laughed and said “hell, no.” #nycga #ows

Bob: “Has anybody talked to legal about this? And can we also add into the amendment that anybody who is charged w/ assault..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…of any kind be banned from housing and meetings?” Nan accepts that friendly amendment. #nycga #ows

POI: “This is an emergency proposal. I live in the church. There has been a rape trial held in the church by Jeff, presided over by Jeff.”

Cont’d: “It’s a flagrant abuse of the power he’s not supposed to have.” He’s not here now b/c he’s empowered himself to make agreements..

Cont’d: …with the “Pastor of a church that is housing 100 occupiers.” #nycga #ows

Some confusion about whether this is about Jeff/Jason or person they let into the church. It’s about asking Jeff and Jason to step down.

CQ: “by virtue of what authority do these two individuals hold their existing positions WRT housing? If their authority is self-created..”

Cont’d: “…then they have no authority.” Nan says they appointed themselves and bully everybody and we need GA to stand up to them.

Christine: “I think this may be a necessary conversation, but I have a blocking concern that I don’t believe in trials in absentia.”

Christine says she doesn’t believe they were informed, according to info she has. Suggests we table this proposal until next GA. #nycga #ows

Christine: “We don’t do trials in absentia!” “This isn’t a trial,” someone says. Sage is next: “This friendly amendment is not going to be..

Cont’d: “…simple; it’s an idea. This problem is endemic: whoever’s in charge, there will be complaints against them and they’ll be valid.”

Sage says whoever is put in charge will be eventually “exhausted and abusive.” suggests we provide support structure so they can step down..

“…w/o fear that the things they do well won’t be done well.” Notes that in a volunteer movement, folks stepping up should be… #nycga

Cont’d: …met with excitement: “thank god!” Haywood’s FA: “WG autonomy is an important thing. The GA makes decisions, but we never told..”

Cont’d: “…them how to run the working group and I’m not sure GA has power to ask them to step down.” suggests GA express that their…

Cont’d: …behavior is unacceptable and strongly recommend that they step down. Nan accepts. Someone suggests it might be better… #nycga

…”since these ppl’s roles are basically figments of their own imagination,” that we contact churches directly and say we oppose these ppl.

A: Nan notes that conflicts w/ Haywood’s FA. Someone else notes whatever we do should still be communicated to the churches. #nycga #OWS

So, the FA that church will be notified in writing is accepted. Lauren: “If we don’t ask them to step down, they’ll continue to abuse..”

Cont’d: “…those roles we’ve appointed themselves.” Sully PoPs b/c it’s bigger than PoP. Lauren: “OK, my FA is that housing…”

Cont’d: “…will become a group effort” where responsibility and power are evenly distributed. “Housing should be re-formed and roles..”

Cont’d: “…redesignated.” Next FA would try to force them to step down, ban those accused of assault from housing, and that anyone in…

Cont’d: …future be asked to step down automatically in similar circumstances. Sully steps in and notes proposal needs to stay relevant..

Cont’d: …to the emergency nature of the proposal. And that the component to make them leave housing conflicts w/ Haywood’s FA.

Next: “Anything involving sexual assault, rape, needs to be dealt w/ quickly.” Says Jeff and Jason sound like “psychopaths.” #nycga #OWS

His FA is that they need to be removed for their malfeasance. Sully & Nan agree that’s outside bounds of an emergency proposal. #nycga #ows

Someone else proposes to force them to step down, and Haywood re-explains his FA. Lopi’s C they may ignore a recommendation to step down..

…so we should also highly recommend someone step up, and that we assert housing runs as horizontal organization. #nycga #ows

Jason’s biggest concern is that this infringes on WG autonomy. Notes his proposal on WGs not meeting during GA was blocked for same reason.

Jason suggests we table and let Housing WG work it out. Nan does not accept that as friendly. PoI: “Housing WG has already asked Jeff to..”

Cont’d: “…step back several times, but he tabled it himself.” FA: “concerned this could be a witch hunt; wants a way for ppl to appeal.”

Someone FAs that we prevent GA funding for housing from going through either of these ppl. Someone notes the Housing $ actually…

…goes through Spokes. FA suggested we give someone else that point person role WRT any GA powers. #nycga #ows

Sage again says he doesn’t trust the villainization of individuals when the issue is the system. Not defending them, but thinks they…

Cont’d: ..are approachable and have offered him access to Pastor, in his experience, when they’ve disagreed. #nycga #ows

[I'm on thumbs, sorry.] Sully restates proposal: “GA reccommends to Housing WG that Jeff and Jason step down, affirms that Housing…”

Cont’d: “…should be run horizontally with no one empowered above anyone else, and that churches should be informed.” #nycga #ows

Someone restates FA to make Lauren as pt person, Lauren says she just agrees to come back to Housing if they step down. #nycga #ows

Ok, Sully is tempchecking how we feel. “That’s looking good; I’ll go ahead and test for consensus.” Any standasides? 5, 6. Some may explain.

Anthony is standing aside only b/c Jeff or Jason aren’t here. “I have no problem w/ someone else stepping up, but I wanted them to be here.”

Next standaside is Joseph, from Picture the Homeless asks why we need housing & how many housed are here to participate. Some ID themselves.

Ok, there were 12 standasides. Sully: “Based on the number of standasides in this group, it seems we don’t have consensus.” Some remove…

…and so we move to check for blocks. First block: “This infringes on working group autonomy.” POI: “you don’t have to remove your block..”

Cont’d: “…you’re just presenting a falsehood.” notes that we are just recommending, not kicking anyone out. #nycga #ows

Jason’s block stands. Sage’s block: “How many ppl are housed at 86th st church? 100. How many here now? Like 3. You’re making…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…decisions for ppl who aren’t here.” Sage says tho that his block is because these issues are systemic, not individual. #nycga

“This proposal doesn’t solve problem as I see it: this proposal is opportunistic. I don’t think this will stop anyone from being assaulted.”

Folks are reacting emotionally, tho not super tensely. Just filling air w/ ideas. Sully calls for 10 seconds of silence, then reminds us..

..that right now, certain “people are being asked to speak, and I’d like the rest of us to just listen.” Continuing to next block. #nycga

Daryl is blocking b/c Jeff and Jason are not here. “The person should definitely be able to be here in this situation.”

Daryl also says we need a grievance process before we can do this sort of thing. #nycga #ows

Ravi: “Nan, when Yoni put up a proposal to ban you, I opposed it.” “I’d never let anyone do what you’re doing here to you.” #nycga #ows

PoI: “Jeff has been voted out twice by housing, and has ignored it twice, continued role. It’s b/c he’s disempowered whole group” tht this..

..is here. “Jeff will not respect democracy. This is our attempt to get the GA to affirm what’s already bn decided in Housing.” #nycga #ows

Nan responds to block. “I appreciate yr blocks. It hurts me that the victim would have to relive that again… For him to continue..” #nycga

Cont’d: “…coordinating housing means she may not feel safe there again.” Nan becomes overwhelmed, & after a couple of min Sully continues.

Ok, we’re moving to modified consensus. “if you’re in favor, raise hands high.” Sully is counting now. #nycga #ows

23 in favor. Now counting opposed… 9 opposed. “It does not have modified consensus; it does not pass.” #nycga #ows

Sully: “This does not need to be the end of this conversation; another proposal can come.” suggests we take a deep breath. #nycga #ows

Next Housing mtg is tomorrow at noon, Monday at 3:30. Someone asks we all come, Sully volunteers to facilitate. #OWS #nycga

Sage thanks us. “We celebrate that we have consensus; I want to celebrate fact we acknowledged that we didn’t.” #nycga #ows

Announcements queue is opened. First: “I have an invitation from an organization that preserves the Earth’s tropical rainforest and to..”

Cont’d: “..create a new world of equity for all.” two members will give a presentation Monday, noon, 60 wall. We’re all invited! Will…

…address question of what it will take to create an environmentally sustainable, just human society on earth. #nycga #ows

Next, I announce that the @LibertySqGA team will meet Sunday at 6pm at 60 Wall! Come down and join us! #nycga #ows

Goldie: “We’re doing a radio show, and we’re working on a segment of who we are and why we occupy!” he’d love to record us! #nycga #OWS

Ok, that’s it for announcements- & for GA! ?s, comments, concerns, discussion, get at tonite’s tweeter: @diceytroop. Thanks fam! #nycga #ows

Jason from housing wasn’t there tonight, so all Jasons who spoke weren’t him. RT @OWSTranslation: @LibertySqGA3 are these 2 diffrent Jasons?

Comments are closed.