The purpose of the OWS Bike Coalition will be in three parts
- Action: Providing the valuable tactic of Bike Swarms during marches to protect protesters from police when taking streets and also to scout out police activity, march routes, and march destinations
- Community: Providing free bike repairs to members of all communities. Also providing free training classes for bike safety, bike repair, and mobile tactics direct action training.
- Transportation: The end goal of this working group is to get every Occupier fitted with a working bike.
The fulfillment of these purposes will be incredibly beneficial to Occupy Wall Street by setting a clear and sustainable message to the public and to ourselves. We will simultaneously be providing a sustainable and inexpensive form of transportation (and hopefully eliminate the need for Metro Cards), providing exercise to out of shape Occupiers, providing safety, security, and information to marches and actions, and providing a valuable service to the community at large.
What we need to fulfill these purposes:
- A work space to operate from, and store bicycles
- Materials: Pumps, patch kits, Allen wrenches, helmets etc.
- Direct and awesome solidarity with Time’s Up! and other bike activist groups in the city
- Mobile tactics training, safety, and bike repair
- People! Who are good at outreach, social media, bike repair, web design, and direct action
- MORE BIKES!
How we will fulfill these purposes
Step 1: Operation Massive Outreach (Goals: Space and Bikes)
- In-reach to Outreach (and all the other working groups)
- In-reach to Occupiers with unused bikes
- Bright Neighbor Ask
- Craigslist ask
- Social media (All of it!)
- Outreach and solidarity with the bike community @large (Bike party, anyone?)
- Getting some form of donations…
Step 2: Operation BIKE SWARM! (Goals: Creating successful Bike Swarm for protests)
- Weekly mobile tactics trainings for people who wish to participate in Bike Swarms
- Helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, safety training classes
- Walkie-Talkies for awesome-com
- Accompanying protesters on marches for safe secure street-taking and info gathering
Step 3: Operation Put the Revolution Between Your Legs (Goal: Get Occupiers out of the Subways and onto the bikes!)
- Draft a community agreement with Housing to divert funds into bikes
- Set up a process of how an Occupier shall obtain a bike
- Become a working group