After being in New York for a week now, it has become abundantly clear that there is some activity being performed in the OWS-NYCGA finance that is not transparent. Not only is it not transparent, but has been asked about ongoing since Oct. 2011 which is evident by being carried in a local newspaper: http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/11/meet-owss-mysterious-finance-team.html
I have posted any information I received through various “other sources” to the
finance working group and also to the accountability and transparency working group
on nycga.net. There you will find a stream of discussions regarding this and
other finance related issues. For over a week, I and others, have been trying to
decipher exactly how much has come in (donations) and exactly what has been paid out
(expenses). Although we have tried numerous ways to get this information none or very
little has been offered. You will see that what is posted does not add up and is very
much behind (going to end of Dec. only).
After numerous attempts to meet with finance in order to help facilitate getting the
books in order, I and others have been discredited or brushed off as “trouble makers”.
This has been a diversion in my opinion so that ‘they’ can continue in secrecy as they
have been doing for the past 3 months.
In light of this resistance to open and transparent dealings, and to avoid any further
questionable activity I am proposing the following for consideration:
● All bank accounts be frozen immediately.
● OWS is set up as its own Non-Profit 501C3 in NY State. Or vet a new partner.
● Stop using and paying Alliance for Global Justice and paying 7% immediately
● Set up a new (or get control of) the We Pay account
● Have new bank accounts opened in a Credit Union or Local banking facility.
● All current members of finance be replaced with at least 3 but recommend 5 new
people most of whom should have finance experience. Back ground checks done
before giving access.
● Once the bookkeeping is done an accountant should be hired to prepare and audit
the books for tax purposes. This person would have access to the accounting
for easy and to reduce costs moving forward.
Contact Person: Janet Wilson
Working Group(if applicable): Accountability & Transparency and GA working Group
Contact Email: email@example.com