Proposal to the Occupy Wall Street General Assembly November 10th, 7pm
Respond to a request sent by Egyptian civil society groups to send a delegation of OWS Ambassadors to serve as International Observers in the November 28th Parliamentary elections. The group would need to leave on November 25th and return on the 30th. This action would be coupled with a general request to be sent out to the greater OWS networks calling for self-funded observers thereby increasing the number of overall observers.
– These actions will serve as a powerful symbol of solidarity in support of the civil society groups who contributed to the January 25th Revolution.
– It will also mark the beginning of a global movement and work to build trust and reconciliation in a post-September 11th environment.
– OWS’s participation will also work to protect and support the civilian monitoring efforts of Egyptian activists on the ground and constitutes a concrete stand against the use of American weapons against peaceful demonstrators.
OWS Action to Date:
– Through consultation with our Egyptian counterparts it was determined that the OWS delegation should be comprised of 2-4 ambassadors from six relevant committees under the sponsorship of the Movement Building Committee. These committees were selected due to their relevance and general skill sets. These committees include:
- Movement Building
- Mediation / Non-violent Communication
- Direct Action
- Area specialists
Desired candidates would ideally have the following attributes:
- Knowledge of the Middle East or Arabic skills
- Cultural sensitivity and commitment to the task at hand minus individual political agendas
- Experience dealing with global media
- Willingness to accept risk
- Skill-sharing potential across relevant committees
- Gender and racial diversity
Plan of Action:
– Each committee mentioned will nominate two to three representatives and a backup to represent their committee in Egypt. This totals 16-24 representatives depending on the funding allocated by the general assembly and the price fluctuations on airfare.
– OWS will send out a general request to its networks asking people to participate in observing the elections at their own personal expense (around $1500)
20 airplane tickets at $1,200 = $22,000
Accommodation per day ($20) for 5 nights for 20 people= $2000
Food and Transportation $50 per day for 20 people = $5000
Total Requested: $29,000