OWS Working Group Coordination Meeting #38 Weds 10/26/11
1) Report Backs
- info – taking on some Internet task. Please keep your WG contact info up-to-date. In order to get cash from Finance, you need at least 2 current contacts.
- Library – Working on a way to keep things dry. will work with town planning
- Community watch – slightly unorganized last night. were some issues. need more agreements about how to handle problems
- think tank – here to figure out how we connect with other groups. Can provide space to groupsource issues WGs are facing
- community relations – community board passed a proposal in support of us
- Environment – Rio earth summit – putting some energy behind having a presence there
- facilitation – there is now a 24-hour feedback period on proposals before going to the GA with a caveat for emergency proposals
- SIS – proposal for buying shelves coming, want WGs to have autonomy in organizing their own space in storage, finance needs info about in-kind donations over $200 value.
- Food – feedback meeting last night. This stuff is getting hard. Food will be scaled down for the next 3 days while they restructure. Feeling a lot of pushback. It’s going on the agenda.
- Outreach – connecting with universities
- PR – Occupied Wall St Journal making a classified section to advertise WG meetings, needs, and events– occupiedmedia.org
- DA – using spokes internally–it’s working great. Organizing some upcoming events stay tuned. How-to-plan-your-action workshop today.
- Environmental Solidarity – doing a day of action and teach-ins. 2:30 today meeting with Naomi Kline.
- Internet – setting up method for incorporating volunteers in tech help
- Structure – been working on the spokes proposal. Amended now to establish once-a-week spokesGA for q&a and accountability. Planning to put on Fri GA agenda.
- Town planning – big tent donation coming in, will not distribute immediately, going back to planning and doing a census to have a needs assessment.
- Sustainability – meets 8pm on Thu
2) Kitchen issues – major capacity problems. muddled consensus on way forward, particularly with the short-term proposal to have kitchen semi-close for three days
- concern about scaling down, even in short term. can we just be more strict about meal times
- our scale is ridiculous and hard for people to understand, our current workflow is insufficient
- we have a lot of resources within the community, but need to be better about channelling them in.
- concern that there will be a huge security problem if there is mass upset over kitchen scale-back.
- posting a sign requesting tourists to leave food for WGs and occupiers
- have a lot of volunteers, but need more coordinators and time to work out process.
- three-day period can still have sustenance–PB&J
- Labor can facilitate getting some union allies to bottomline catering some meals during that period.
- need new culture
- police and soup kitchens are directing people to come here for services.
- we aren’t here to leave people behind.
- but can we help people without all of our resources going into becoming a homeless shelter.
- Getting a better idea of who is here is important
- should we be focussing convo on census plan?
-town planning is bottomlining this.
- We need to first-and-foremeost make sure we are set for each night’s community watch.
- involve the community in addressing problems of homelessness.
- let’s not conflate our homeless population with “the security problem”
- who are our security threats? sexual perpetrators, hard drug dealers/users, gangs.
- there are a lot of different people who theoretically are working on security – external groups, security, medical, mediators, community watch. Please lets keep getting this shit organized at 10pm every night.
- deescalation training at 4:00 at red cube.
- more outside support is coming in.
- tents are part of the problem. Can we figure out other cold/dry solutions?
- legal and town planning are working on it
- let’s not forget the people who have been driven away and don’t feel safe even as we work with the people who are there.
- people think having GA on the west side could change the tone of things a little
-Facilitation will troubleshoot if this is possible.
4) Tabled item – Working Group establishment process